SAR Officially a King!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As an aside, I don't think the ACTIVE rosters are going up to 14, but I can't be sure about that. Think the new CBA may just ahve specified that while you could only carry 12 active players, you had to carry at least 14 contracts (which would be all the union would care about).

Anyway, Darius is likely to have next to no interest in returning to the Kings as wea are currently constructed as I doubt he thinks of himself as a 5th big man. Can go elsewhere and be a rotation player. Here he would be sitting behind Brad, Skinner, SAR and Thomas. Nor with SAR in town does having Darius make much sense. We need all the size and defense we can get off the bench.

Last edited:
The press conference is happening..or already did. I think Darius still comes in first for Shareef...and Thomas maybe backs up Peja instead of Corliss coming in first?? I mean we knew we were going to get Shareef and Petrie was still very interested in signing Darius. Now that we have SHareef it opens a lot of avenues for us move wise. Seeing what other moves will come for the rest of the summer will be very interesting.

DocHolliday said:
The press conference is happening..or already did. I think Darius still comes in first for Shareef...and Thomas maybe backs up Peja instead of Corliss coming in first?? I mean we knew we were going to get Shareef and Petrie was still very interested in signing Darius. Now that we have SHareef it opens a lot of avenues for us move wise. Seeing what other moves will come for the rest of the summer will be very interesting.
I think it happened today. There was an onslaught of media and cars headed to Arco Arena at about 3:00.

nbrans said:
Where can I get my Shareef Abdur-Rahim jersey???
You can order a custom replica jersey at the Kings Store website. You just need to watch the news to see what number he was introduced as, then you're all good. Put whatever name and number you want on there. But, it is a replica, not an authentic

Bricklayer said:
As an aside, I don't think the ACTIVE rosters are going up to 14, but I can't be sure about that. Think the new CBA may just ahve specified that while you could only carry 12 active players, you had to carry at least 14 contracts (which would be all the union would care about).
I pretty sure that is right or that the active roster has to have a minimum of 12 and can have a maximum of 14. Either way, I think that you can still suit up 12 per game if you decide to just as long as 2 others are under contract. It wouldn't make sense to require 14 in uniform since at anytime during the season it's likely to have at least one person on IR and then you would have to sign more player to fill out 14. I don't think so.

Sacbee updated the article:

Updated: 4:30 p.m. Friday] The Sacramento Kings signed forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim on Friday, ending speculation about where the highly coveted power forward would play in 2005-2006.
Terms of the contract were not disclosed, as is Kings policy.

Abdur-Rahim was introduced at a hastily called news conference Friday afternoon. Last season with Portland, Abdur-Rahim averaged 16.8 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 54 games.
"The Kings are a great team," Abdur-Rahim was quoted in a statement released by the Kings. "It's a team that's used to winning, competing at a high level and competing for a championship. I'm just looking forward to coming in and being a part of it and helping them carry on that tradition.

Abdur-Rahim played his college ball at Cal before being drafted by the then-Vancouver Grizzlies in 1996. He was the third overall selection in the draft. He played for the Grizzlies for five years and was traded to Atlanta and, three years later, to Portland.

"We're really delighted to be able to add a high-caliber player, as well as a high-quality person to our team," Kings President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie said in a statement. "His addition will improve us in a number of areas in which we wanted to get better."

The Kings' likely lineup will be Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, Peja Stojakovic, Abdur-Rahim and Brad Miller.

"We're very happy that it worked out the way it did," Kings coach Rick Adelman said in a statement. "He's a guy we wanted all along. I think Shareef is going to really help us. He gives us a proven scorer inside. He's also a very good rebounder. He's going to give us a threat around the basket that we need at this point with this team."

Based on what was apparently out there I think this was a good move.

May be the best "offensive" starting unit in the Western Conference.

What the hell we didn't lock him up for a while. I wonder if he only wanted a year so that if he did really good, he could try to up the kings for more money. Hopefully he'll be a restricted free agent so we can try to match. This doesn't make much sense to me. He was going to have a 4 or 5 year deal with NJ

PFFFT!! said:
Then if its 14 players and we have 12 signed, we have 2 open slots. I would resign Darius and see about a trade involving either Darius and KT for a solid backup PF with expiring contract that would be our 6th man. Right now I don't see that six man that BJ was. That position would be awsome for a Center/PF.
Right now... but any of the bench players aside from Hart/Price/Sampson/Garcia, could be gone in trades. Which is likely a pair or three will be.

G_M said:
Based on what was apparently out there I think this was a good move.

May be the best "offensive" starting unit in the Western Conference.
Phoenix and Dallas should still have the best offensive lineups.

It's interesting it's just a one year deal. Abdur-Rahim could likely re-sign for early Bird Rights -- if I'm not mistaken -- for a bigger contract next year. Should he wish to stay in SAC, of course.

PFFFT!! said:
We have 12 players with SAR under contract. I believe we can have 13? So figure a S&T with Darius and or someone else. If we sign Darius it will either be him or KT as backup. I would probably take KT, but considering his contract is too hefty I would unload him for a couple of expiring contracts, probably two long tall dudes with dirty work on their minds.

PF SAR / THOMAS
SF PEJA / CORLISS
C MILLER / SKINNER / SAMPSON
SG WELLS / MARTIN / GARCIA
PG BIBBY / HART / PRICE

Dont these add up to 13 ? If Maloof is talking about another role player
Then that would be 14

If the league wants an average of 14 on the Roster then it would seem one more role player for number 14 would be in order

Since we have 3 at each guard position
it would seem one more PF or SF would be the last contract

I suppose Samson and Price might be non guarenteed and
will have to earn a spot in camp and could be replaced by an invitee

But a "role player" would indicate someone in the top ten
that would actually play minutes in a "Role"

Of course since our biggest need is Defense

So the last signing would be either a PF or Ctr that can really rebound
and or block shots

The bench front line could be KT/Skinner/Role player
But hmmm doubt KT or skinner would play SF
So does that mean we get a defensive minded SF?

Im so confused :)

35+ min since it was official and no word on any website (cept the Bee) / Espn news nothing. Its all about TO news right now.

The Nets sure got a lot of coverage even before they botched up the trade.

BigWaxer said:
35+ min since it was official and no word on any website (cept the Bee) / Espn news nothing. Its all about TO news right now.

Well, thats because we aren't close enough to NY to get that sort of coverage, which to be honest, is fine with me. I hate to live in big cities, don't mind the visit, but living no thanks.

BigWaxer said:

Everyone hates Sacramento didn't you know?

Jkbiker said:
PF SAR / THOMAS
SF PEJA / CORLISS
PG BIBBY / HART / PRICE

Then that would be 14

If the league wants an average of 14 on the Roster then it would seem one more role player for number 14 would be in order

and or block shots

Maybe Erik Daniels?? He faired pretty well in Summer League.

Jkbiker said:
PF SAR / THOMAS
SF PEJA / CORLISS
PG BIBBY / HART / PRICE

Then that would be 14

and or block shots

Could mean a two-guard too, but I ultimately think Martin stays. I think we'll get at least 2 or 3 new players for the bench. Maybe even four, but yeah. :)

Erik Daniels isn't definitely gone yet, I think with his overall improvement he might be back.

From Kings.com

KINGS SIGN FREE AGENT FORWARD SHAREEF ABDUR-RAHIM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Sacramento Kings today signed forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, according to Kings’ President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie. Per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“We’re really delighted to be able to add a high-caliber player, as well as a high quality person to our team such as Shareef,” said Petrie. “He’s going to add more length, more scoring and more rebounding. His addition will improve us in a number of areas in which we wanted to get better. We’re looking forward to many enjoyable moments watching him play for the Kings.”

A nine-year NBA veteran, Abdur-Rahim has averaged 19.8 ppg (.469 FG%, .816 FT%), 8.1 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.07 spg, and 37.0 mpg in 672 career games with Vancouver (1996-97 – 2000-01), Atlanta (2001-02 – first half of 2003-04), and Portland (second half 2003-04 – 2004-05). He averaged 16.8 ppg (.503 FG%, .866 FT%), 7.3 rpg, 2.1 apg, and 34.6 mpg in 54 games (started 49) last season for the Trail Blazers, ranking second on the team in scoring, (909 points) and free throw percentage and was third in rebounding.

“I’m excited,” said Abdur-Rahim. “The Kings are a great team. It’s a team that’s used to winning, competing at a high level and competing for a championship. I’m just looking forward to coming in and being a part of it and helping them carry on that tradition.”

Abdur-Rahim was selected as an early entry candidate by the Vancouver Grizzlies with the third pick overall in the 1996 NBA Draft, out of the University of California. He played five seasons for the Grizzlies before being traded with the draft rights to Jamaal Tinsley to Atlanta in exchange for Lorenzen Wright, Brevin Knight, and the draft rights to Pau Gasol (7/19/01). After his stay with the Hawks, Abdur-Rahim was traded with Theo Ratliff and Dan Dickau to Portland for Rasheed Wallace and Wesley Person (2/9/04).

“We’re very happy that it worked out the way it did,” explained Kings’ Head Coach Rick Adelman. “He’s a guy we wanted all along. I think Shareef is going to really help us. He gives us a proven scorer inside. He’s also a very good rebounder. He’s going to give us a threat around the basket that we need at this point with this team.”

Throughout his career, Abdur-Rahim has averaged 20 or more points in five of his nine NBA seasons, posting his best statistical season in 1999-00 when he averaged a double-double with 20.3 ppg (.465 FG%, .809 FT%) and a career-best 10.1 rpg to go along with 3.3 apg, 1.09 spg, 1.06 bpg, and 39.3 mpg in playing and starting all 82 games for Vancouver. In addition to posting a career-high 50 points against Detroit (11/23/01) as a member of the Hawks, he also achieved All-Star status, playing for the Eastern Conference squad in the 2002 NBA All-Star Game. On two occasions, Abdur-Rahim grabbed a career-high 22 rebounds. He recorded his first triple-double with 26 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists against Phoenix (4/19/97).

E-mail this story

Not much on the contract tho