[Game] Sacramento Kings (3) @ Golden State Warriors (6) (WCDS Game 6, 2-3) 4/28/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No joke man Richaun used to flourish against GS along with Davis. He got good games matching up with Greene with his push shot in the mid range But he wasn't the same since the eye injury though. It would be good to get him minutes if there's some room in Game 7, depends on intensity the warriors bring.
I don’t think it’s the eye as much as the loss of Haliburton. Hali was the perfect pick in roll guard for Richaun and allowed him to shoot that push shot. Fox’s office and Richaun’s office is the same spot on the court. They just fit as poorly as possible. And given Mike like to have Fox or Sabonis on the floor most nights that means Richaun and Fox are likely always on the floor together.

I think Sabonis has been fine, not his normal self, but he has to deal with Draymond and Looney. He is basically battling two bigs by himself. He has the bloody back scratches, sore chest, and black eye to prove it. Golden State really focused a lot of their defense in stopping Sabonis because they know he is the hub of our offense.

This game showed that if a team chooses to focus their entire defense on Sabonis, now they get our small ball; full of quick players that can drive to the hoop and dish it out to the three. Fox, Huerter, Monk, Davion, , and Davis can all drive, pass, and shoot. On top of that, you have Murray, and Lyles who can bang, grab boards, and shoot. Good luck with that.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think Sabonis has been fine, not his normal self, but he has to deal with Draymond and Looney. He is basically battling two bigs by himself. He has the bloody back scratches, sore chest, and black eye to prove it. Golden State really focused a lot of their defense in stopping Sabonis because they know he is the hub of our offense.

This game showed that if a team chooses to focus their entire defense on Sabonis, now they get our small ball; full of quick players that can drive to the hoop and dish it out to the three. Fox, Huerter, Monk, Davion, , and Davis can all drive, pass, and shoot. On top of that, you have Murray, and Lyles who can bang, grab boards, and shoot. Good luck with that.
Yeah, no kidding. Domas looks like Rocky Balboa right now. I don't see Looney and Draymond sporting a black eye and bandages. Those claims that Sabonis was the one playing dirty and hurting people after the first 2 games just keep looking worse and worse.

If he plays d like he did last game(by far the best d I have seen him play as a King) gets a bunch of offensive boards, takes and makes half of those open 2's Warriors are giving him there should be no complaints about Domas considering the wear and tear on his body and an amazing ability by the refs to not see most obvious hacks by Warriors

Sabonis has been fumbling, bumbling, and losing the ball in inexplicable fashion. Part of the issue seems to be his hesitation where he is thinking a lot about whether to shoot, where to shoot, when to pass, etc. It's like his decision-tree has to be simplified for him to get it together. But I am also left wondering whether his broken hand has somehow worsened and even if his other hand has something wrong with it. It looks like he's taken novacaine shots in both hands and he has no feeling in them.

Sabonis has been fumbling, bumbling, and losing the ball in inexplicable fashion. Part of the issue seems to be his hesitation where he is thinking a lot about whether to shoot, where to shoot, when to pass, etc. It's like his decision-tree has to be simplified for him to get it together. But I am also left wondering whether his broken hand has somehow worsened and even if his other hand has something wrong with it. It looks like he's taken novacaine shots in both hands and he has no feeling in them.
I’d like to see Sabonis play a little bit more within the flow of the offense tomorrow. A lot of his fumbles look to me like he’s trying too hard and thinking too much on offense about what to do, as opposed to just working as a facilitator and getting easy shots at the rim. Whenever he tries to force his offense, it’s not going well, so I’d like to see him focus on easy baskets, playing solid defense, and taking minimal dribbles in the paint.

Yeah, no kidding. Domas looks like Rocky Balboa right now. I don't see Looney and Draymond sporting a black eye and bandages. Those claims that Sabonis was the one playing dirty and hurting people after the first 2 games just keep looking worse and worse.
Quite not surprising how his free throw attempts basically disappeared after the first 2 games.I guess that baseless "Sabonis is a very dirty player" complain did it's job

Yeah he's the heart and soul of this team. His "lows" on the floor are lower than I would like when he's off, but I don't think you can replace what he's brought chemistry wise to this team and just the "IDGAF" attitude in terms of not being afraid of the moment and sparking the Kings when they need him. We've been having a lot of talks about who is core on the Kings roster and I think Monk is firmly entrenched in that designation.
Much of what you say about him is why I wanted him to take that last shot in game 4. He’s just a killer with ice water in his veins.

It’s funny, until Bibby was traded to the KINGS back in the day, they’d been missing a conscienceless clutch time performer for years. I’m not sure they’ve had many, if any, of those types of players until now.

This team has TWO of them.

I still can't believe we won last night. Game 6 Warriors at home to close out the first round after a demoralizing game 5 our first time in the playoffs. We weren't supposed to win and we didn't just win but kicked their butts

And for us folks saying we just need to start hitting 3's that held true - just average 3 point shooting made it impossible for the Warriors to keep up, what happens if the team is actually hot for a full night?

I still can't believe we won last night. Game 6 Warriors at home to close out the first round after a demoralizing game 5 our first time in the playoffs. We weren't supposed to win and we didn't just win but kicked their butts

And for us folks saying we just need to start hitting 3's that held true - just average 3 point shooting made it impossible for the Warriors to keep up, what happens if the team is actually hot for a full night?
Threes falling definitely helps, but I think d was the main reason for the win yesterday.It was a great team effort on d

Watching the whole game --- Lyles with a great game, Huerter with at least an average game (not great but ok. Lyles rebounding and hustle for rebounding was very good. Sabonis absolutely needs to start shooting elbow jum[ers - Van Gundy said it right - the Warriors are waiting for him to put the ball on the floor and cause a turnover. The best response actually would be to jump shoot and follow for rebounding. Len no meaningful minutes, and that's ok.

Monk looked more under control this game than in the losing efforts, where he was forcing some shots and turning over. Very unlikely the Kings win game 7 if Monk has a poor offensive game. Davis did a good job focusing on defense.....I say cycle he and Mitchell in for continual top level defense to keep each fresh.

The margin of loss was contributed to heavily by Poole - who was horrid......the Warriors need Poole to play well if they wanna win.....I think he'll rebound the last game and play at least average.

Why is Metu player 11 or 12? I dunno.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It’s so not in my nature to be optimistic. But after that performance; against one of the worst road teams not only in the playoffs got the entire league… it’s set up so perfectly I don’t want to break character and end up being the dreaded jinx.

Also; there’s some tickets for less than 300 dollars and I’m really really really tempted to impulse buy them right now.

Last edited:
Mike Brown sticking with Kevin Huerter through his brutal slump when everyone, including me, wanted to cut bait is why he’s coach of the year.
The kid broke though and will be red f’ing hot on Sunday. KH will drop 20+. Watch.
Man i hope you’re right. I have a good feeling about it and i just want the Kings to come out and give the home fans a huge W after some disappointing losses in that building this season. Do not relax or rely on the crowd, just use it as fuel and continue to do what got you to this point. If we play defense tomorrow the way we did last night, it’ll be back to back wins and the biggest we’ve had in nearly 20 years.

It’s so not in my nature to be optimistic. But after that performance; against one of the worst road teams not only in the playoffs got the entire league… it’s set up so perfectly I don’t want to break character and end up being the dreaded jinx.

Also; there’s some tickets for less than 300 dollars and I’m really really really tempted to impulse buy them right now.

Watching the whole game --- Lyles with a great game, Huerter with at least an average game (not great but ok. Lyles rebounding and hustle for rebounding was very good. Sabonis absolutely needs to start shooting elbow jum[ers - Van Gundy said it right - the Warriors are waiting for him to put the ball on the floor and cause a turnover. The best response actually would be to jump shoot and follow for rebounding. Len no meaningful minutes, and that's ok.

Monk looked more under control this game than in the losing efforts, where he was forcing some shots and turning over. Very unlikely the Kings win game 7 if Monk has a poor offensive game. Davis did a good job focusing on defense.....I say cycle he and Mitchell in for continual top level defense to keep each fresh.
It's a good sign that we're even considering that good defense could be expected from Davis. Brown obviously knew, given that he matched him on Curry. I've always thought he was more capable than given credit for, but his defense has been maligned for the last two seasons. Everyone makes a bad mistake here and there and some dumb fouls, but sometimes you have to let them play through in order to have chance for that player to help the team.

Again, nobody thought we'd be talking about Terence Davis' defense in a game 6 and going into game 7. Hopefully this is turning point in his career

I love Sabonis but I think the Warriors highlighted how to defend him and the Kings are going to see lots more of teams giving him the 15-18 ft shot. It’s a similar shot in Zone Coverage that the Kings struggled with.

To be effective, Sabonis has to hit that shot at a high percentage and force teams to defend him or the DHO action will be much less successful. It’s going to be an issue this play-offs and we will see what he does this off season.

I love Sabonis but I think the Warriors highlighted how to defend him and the Kings are going to see lots more of teams giving him the 15-18 ft shot. It’s a similar shot in Zone Coverage that the Kings struggled with.

To be effective, Sabonis has to hit that shot at a high percentage and force teams to defend him or the DHO action will be much less successful. It’s going to be an issue this play-offs and we will see what he does this off season.
This is true and I've said as much in the past.

However, when the defender is sagging off of Sabonis, the dubs are also putting 100% faith in their defender that they can navigate the screen on the dho and recover quick enough to stop the play without any help. Not every team has the personnel to execute that continuously. There is some responsibility on our wings to get open and utilize the screen properly as well.

It's a good sign that we're even considering that good defense could be expected from Davis. Brown obviously knew, given that he matched him on Curry.

Again, nobody thought we'd be talking about Terence Davis' defense in a game 6 and going into game 7. Hopefully this is turning point in his career.
Certainly not I. Although it is just one metric, it turns out that his defensive rating for the regular season, across 64 games, is 111.4. Among players with at least 40 appearances, or who averaged at least 10 minutes per game, that is better than everyone except Metu, at 107.3, even better than Davion Mitchell's 111.8.

At least at the moment the issue is not his inability to hit that shot(don't have stats but it feels that he is making about half of those shots) but refusal to take it.

At least at the moment the issue is not his inability to hit that shot(don't have stats but it feels that he is making about half of those shots) but refusal to take it.
It's probably the analytics angle that has been driven into player's heads. They've all heard and been told since college and maybe high school for some of these guys, that the mid range is the worst shot.

As with many things,...it depends

Watching all the post game stuff, and the talking heads flapping their jaws today, a couple things come to mind.
D.S. looks better than I thought he would. Say what you will about the man, he is one tough son of a gun. I hope, as time passes, they can coach some smarts into him on the foul stuff.
Towards the end last night the Warriors were looking pretty gassed. The Kings were the younger team.
They are a team on the rise.
I hope they sense it.
We have more than one natural leader on this team. Fox is clearly one, he shifted his attack from the long ball to playing the lay up drive and short shot stuff when his finger was bugging him. Outstanding coaching. Last night Monk was firing them up too. There were others too. People playing roles when they need to is the mark of a team far more experienced than ours is.
I think we have one heck of a good chance tomorrow.
Win or lose, though....the Sacramento Kings have EARNED respect by PLAYING like WINNERS.
I am proud of our team.
They have LEARNED how to win...and that is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.