Sacramento being seriously vetted and other news, rumors, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Antonio Gonzalez ‏@agonzalezAP 22m

Settle down Sacto, Seattle folks. Committee meeting Monday. Doesn't mean decision won't come then. Just sounds like lots still to discuss.

Antonio Gonzalez ‏@agonzalezAP 22m

Settle down Sacto, Seattle folks. Committee meeting Monday. Doesn't mean decision won't come then. Just sounds like lots still to discuss.
Just saw this after I posted his initial tweet, I still have a feeling we'll see a recommendation given out tomorrow

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't tomorrow suppose to be the big day? I know we won't know anything official tomorrow because it hasn't been voted on yet, but didn't they say we would get some type of recommendation?

I think if no recommendation tomorrow, it surely must mean a deal on expansion is being worked hard behind the scenes.
Yes, agree... And remember if they did do the expansion deal then there would have to be basically a re-do of the current deal that Hansen/Balmer has with the Maloofs, which means it can take a few weeks. Hopefully less if the groundwork from the deal with the Maloofs works. So this delay might not have anything to do with us, and they didn't want fans in either location to go rabid so they announce at the same presser.

Yes, agree... And remember if they did do the expansion deal then there would have to be basically a re-do of the current deal that Hansen/Balmer has with the Maloofs, which means it can take a few weeks. Hopefully less if the groundwork from the deal with the Maloofs works. So this delay might not have anything to do with us, and they didn't want fans in either location to go rabid so they announce at the same presser.
No expansion would be between Hansen/Ballmer and the league. Deal with Maloofs would be voided by a no voter on relocation. Maloofs would be out in the cold. Preferably the north pole.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nope. Expansion would be between Hansen/Ballmer and the league. The Maloofs will be out.

Edit: Oops. Just saw that kennadog already said essentially the same thing. :)

No expansion would be between Hansen/Ballmer and the league. Deal with Maloofs would be voided by a no voter on relocation. Maloofs would be out in the cold. Preferably the north pole.
Not with Sacramento's binding deal they wouldn't be. Once the H/B deal falls through the Maloofs default to the Sac offer. Also, once Stern said the Kings deal was binding you stopped hearing stuff from KJ and the potential owners. I am sure there was a gag order placed on our group including KJ.

And I know expansion will be between the NBA and Hansen/Balmer. That's what I said. The deal would have to be a "re-do" but I was just speculating that the deal that they have in place now with the Maloofs could work as some sort of groundwork for the deal with the NBA and H/B. Maybe it can be looked at as a cheat sheet of sorts, especially in regards to a lot of the verbiage used. If there was an expansion done the Maloofs wouldn't be in the picture with Seattle, I know that, and that's what I thought I said.

EDIT: I think you guys mis-read what I was meaning to get across. The deal that H/B has the the Maloofs would have to be re-done with the NBA, not with H/B as how I think you all took it.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not with Sacramento's binding deal they wouldn't be. Once the H/B deal falls through the Maloofs default to the Sac offer. Also, once Stern said the Kings deal was binding you stopped hearing stuff from KJ and the potential owners. I am sure there was a gag order placed on our group including KJ.

And I know expansion will be between the NBA and Hansen/Balmer. That's what I said. The deal would have to be a "re-do" but I was just speculating that the deal that they have in place now with the Maloofs could work as some sort of groundwork for the deal with the NBA and H/B. Maybe it can be looked at as a cheat sheet of sorts, especially in regards to a lot of the verbiage used.
No, there will not be a redo. Expansion is a totally different subject and would have to be voted upon by the Board of Governors. They already have a framework in place from the Charlotte expansion and I'm pretty sure they'll work from that. They do not need to use the work of outside lawyers to conduct their business. ;)

You're mixing up the order of things. The first vote that will be taken is the relocation vote. If the BoG votes against relocating the team, the sale is still on the table. It's almost certain that Hansen will pull out of the sale, citing the "pending approval of the BoG" clause as his reason for doing so. At that point, the Maloofs will be STRONGLY motivated to take the Sacramento deal. The NBA has already indicated that they will ensure the Sacramento offer gives the Maloofs the same amount of $$ in their pockets, so there is no valid reason for them to turn it down. If they try, Stern can and most likely would invoke the "best interests of the league" clause and step in to close the deal.

I'm not sure why you think there was a "gag" order imposed on KJ. They haven't been saying much because there isn't anything to say. The offer is in, they've been responding to the NBA's requests for all the details, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 15m

I have heard nothing about a delay. All I can say is, if there is one, it isn't expected by the principals. Doesn't mean it won't happen.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 15m

I was told early on if the Sacramento side could execute their game plan, which was a BIG if, they would be in a great spot. They executed.

25% of me wishes this could be put off yet another week because of being chicken scared of the results.. its like the pinnacle of the roller coaster, fearing that big drop which is coming up in less than 24 hours