Sacramento being seriously vetted and other news, rumors, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks!

Got my interest with the first sentence:

The Maloofs are a large and publicity-hungry family of aggrieved, vain, ripely orange, and quite possibly no-longer-wealthy desert creatures.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This article absolutely made my day. Somebody outside of Sacramento gets it!

...But while it will be a very good thing indeed for the people of Sacramento to be rid of these poreless, shameless hucksters, it's hard to think about any of the things that led to this juncture without a queasy sort of regret. There was something weirdly and puzzlingly spiteful about how furiously the Maloofs worked to sell their team exclusively to ownership groups who would move them out of Sacramento—first to Anaheim, then Virginia Beach, then Seattle. That odd sense of totally unnecessary bile was evident, too, in the drearily familiar clock-killing legalisms and smugly dumb dishonesty with which they presented their machinations as something other than what they were. There would be something poignant about their failure, if they hadn't been so loathsome in their pursuit of it...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The last two articles have been great reads! I also love Sherman Alexie's writing, and this makes me love the man even more! I hope Seattle gets a team, just not our team. Kings stay + Seattle expansion. Make it happen BOG :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Carmichael Dave Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 22m

Seems quiet and boring, but from the Sacramento side I can tell you the principals are working around the clock, in a good type of frenzy.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 21m

Tough from Day 1 playing catch up to Hansen,but they are pulling it off. NBA setting tough but fair guidelines, Sac meeting or BEATING each.

im going to be at work monday, all my co workers are king haters except for three lol. im going to lol at their faces all day long, and obviously there comeback will be but who wants to see them play, they suck ....

Am I the only one that is nervous? Be that good nervous or bad nervous.

I'm not. The new ownership group have met or exceeded expectations. But again, I know how backdoor politics work; they're not fair, but at the end of the day, it's all about money.

Again, I'm not worried. My only worry is that somehow, someway, the maloofs own the kings for a second longer.

Breaking news from my dream:

So, last night I had a dream, and it seemed VERY real for some reason. It was like I was sitting in on a meeting and Stern stood up and basically said;

"And there we have it..... Sacramento keeps its team (roar) and anD aND AND.... *wait* ....... Seattle gets an expansion team to open at the new arena in Seattle for the 2016-2017 NBA season"

I am not sure why the the entire city of Sacramento was sitting in on the meeting, and why Stern would announce it like that, but it seemed real enough for me that I thought I heard something over the radio while sleeping so I grabbed my phone and checked the net. I sleep with my radio on 1140.

We dream about things we stress about so I figure this has got me on edge for the next couple days.

So, last night I had a dream, and it seemed VERY real for some reason. It was like I was sitting in on a meeting and Stern stood up and basically said;

"And there we have it..... Sacramento keeps its team (roar) and anD aND AND.... *wait* ....... Seattle gets an expansion team to open at the new arena in Seattle for the 2016-2017 NBA season"

I am not sure why the the entire city of Sacramento was sitting in on the meeting, and why Stern would announce it like that, but it seemed real enough for me that I thought I heard something over the radio while sleeping so I grabbed my phone and checked the net. I sleep with my radio on 1140.

We dream about things we stress about so I figure this has got me on edge for the next couple days.
thats whats going to happen. i guarantee it

From Twitter:

Carmichael Dave Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 22m

Seems quiet and boring, but from the Sacramento side I can tell you the principals are working around the clock, in a good type of frenzy.
I wonder what they could be working on "around the clock" at this point? Couldn't be more answers for the subcommittee could it? Hopefully it has to do more with a transition plan than anything else...

That sounds like a dream from Seattle's perspective

It's Saturday night and I'd like to share my sentiments...

On Monday I look forward to shedding the burden that I think many of us haven't realized the true size and extent of. I look forward to team owners operating in good faith, with a vision for growth for the team and the Sacramento area. I anticipate the juxtaposition to be jarring, in a good way.

As it's become clear through Bob Cook's letter (and his earlier statements), news about the attempted Spurs purchase, and more, that the Maloofs were looking to move the team since they acquired it. Many of us have suspected something fishy going on but perhaps couldn't quite put our finger on it... so many of the debates on this board over the last few years were devoted to trying to understand their moves, or cope with the confusion and repercussions. It has sapped my enthusiasm for caring about much of the details of player acquisitions, etc. While I might not have been able to be sure of the cause it was obvious something was rotten at the top. Now it's clear. I think that it will be come more and more clear, even over the next few years, as we finally experience what it's like to have quality owners. The full potential of the fanbase, and their enthusiasm, will be realized.

People may be nervous over the next few days, maybe just because of the magnitude of the moment, the end of a long emotional journey, maybe with just a small percentage of doubt since we've been abused for so long, but for some reason, I'm more just kind of quietly giddy. Any doubt about the outcome left me a few weeks ago, can't say exactly why or point to one or two things.

There will be an autopsy. I expect it to be a combination of sickening, informative, and relieving, mostly relieving.

I can't wait to party with you all on this board! And I can't wait to enjoy the sense of a FUTURE finally returning to the franchise. It's going to be like seeing the sun after being held hostage in the basement for years... it's going to be marvelous. I'm so proud of my hometown!

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's Saturday night and I'd like to share my sentiments...

On Monday I look forward to shedding the burden that I think many of us haven't realized the true size and extent of. I look forward to team owners operating in good faith, with a vision for growth for the team and the Sacramento area. I anticipate the juxtaposition to be jarring, in a good way.

As it's become clear through Bob Cook's letter (and his earlier statements), news about the attempted Spurs purchase, and more, that the Maloofs were looking to move the team since they acquired it. Many of us have suspected was something fishy going on... so many of the debates on this board over the last few years were devoted to trying to understand their moves, or cope with the confusion and repercussions. It has sapped my enthusiasm for caring about much of the details of player acquisitions, etc. While I might not have been able to be sure of the cause it was obvious something was rotten at the top. Now it's clear. I think that it will be come more and more clear, even over the next few years, as we finally experience what it's like to have quality owners. The full potential of the fanbase, and their enthusiasm, will be realized.

People may be nervous over the next few days, maybe just because of the magnitude of the moment, the end of a long emotional journey, maybe with just a small percentage of doubt since we've been abused for so long, but for some reason, I'm more just kind of quietly giddy. Any doubt about the outcome left me a few weeks ago, can't say exactly why or point to one or two things. There will be an autopsy. I expect it to be a combination of sickening, informative, and relieving, mostly relieving.

I can't wait to party with you all on this board! And I can't wait to enjoy the sense of a FUTURE finally returning to the franchise. It's going to be like seeing the sun after being held hostage in the basement for years... it's going to be marvelous. I'm so proud of my hometown!
My heart tells me you're right but my brain doesn't want to admit it out loud for fear of jinxing it. I will be so glad when it's Tuesday. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 36s

In the end, it would simply be that they picked on the wrong Mayor, the wrong City, and the wrong fanbase. Going dark now.

......another one from Dave

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 1m

In the end, it would simply be that they picked on the wrong Mayor, the wrong City, and the wrong fanbase. Going dark now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My best guess? Someone close to the new ownership group let Dave know that they've satisfied the NBA requests and are heading home for a good night's sleep.

:)