Run it back!

• Yes - we'll improve organically!

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • No - we need to another big move (s)!

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Wait and see....

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
Run that ish back! We were damn good last year. At no point while watching last season was I wishing for a better player in place of Barnes. And Lyles proved to be deserving of minutes on a good team. What I think the team needs to do is add depth that moves Lyles from our 8th man to our 10th. Sasha working out would be huge. Also getting a reliable big man on the bench. Then we can see what we have. Plus don't forget, we will also, hopefully, have an additional two working fingers in our starting lineup.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The additions of Duarte and Vezenkov (hopefully) give us some more upside beyond just running it back. Those guys should be bigger contributors than the end of the bench guys we had last season. It would be nice to get another backup C considering how badly this roster got rocked by journeyman 7 footers but maybe the front office feel that Queta is ready for that role.

The only other hole I see is the backup SF spot. I'm still hoping Monte will make an offer for Matisse Thybulle. He has his flaws but he's been as valuable to his teams in 4 years as some players who just signed $100 million+ contracts. Monte already brought back our best in the league offense. I'd love to see him address the defense with the cap space he has left.

Many keep repeating the mantra “run it back”, but I’m not quite understanding. It’s not accurate.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the KINGS have added or are adding, Sasha Vezenkov, Chris Duarte, Colby Jones, and Jalen Slawson. And they’ve parted with at least Holmes, Dellavedova, and Metu.

That’s at least 20% of a roster turnover.

While Slawson and maybe even Jones might be long-shots to play much this season, Sasha and Duarte will play key roles in the rotation. Then factor in Keegan Murray’s development as a 2nd year starter, and this isn’t exactly the same team.

Did some fans really expect a third to half the roster to change? Perhaps that happens with a bad or stagnant roster, but not with an ascending near 50-win team.

gunks

Hall of Famer
No big splash signing or trade. We're going into next season with the exact same starting 5 that lost in the first round.

Some folk think we need another star, some folk think we needed to add a lot more toughness, defense and rebounding.

All the new additions are going to be deep in the rotation (perhaps with the exception of Sasha) and all the players that McNair moved on from were also buried on the bench.

Certainly feels "run it back".... which I'm fine with btw. If one of Huerter, Domas, or HB didn't crap the bed against GS, we probably would have made it to the WCFs. Monte betting somebody besides Fox, Monk, and Keegan shows up in next years post season doesn't feel like a long shot.

No big splash signing or trade. We're going into next season with the exact same starting 5 that lost in the first round..
Why are so many focused on the “first round” thing?

So, if they happened to get the Clippers in round 1 instead of the 4-time and defending champion Warriors then advanced to then lose to GSW in the 2nd round in 7 games — it would somehow be different?

It’s not as if this team got swept in the first round and looked overmatched against a middling team.

Denver lost in the 1st round in 2022 against the same Warriors team and didn’t make any “big splash” signings or blockbuster trades yet managed to win the title the very next season.

Miami got swept in the 1st round in 2021 and didn’t make any “big splash” signings or blockbuster trades yet reached the ECF’s in 2022 and the Finals in 2023.

All the new additions are going to be deep in the rotation (perhaps with the exception of Sasha) and all the players that McNair moved on from were also buried on the bench.

Certainly feels "run it back".... which I'm fine with btw. If one of Huerter, Domas, or HB didn't crap the bed against GS, we probably would have made it to the WCFs. Monte betting somebody besides Fox, Monk, and Keegan shows up in next years post season doesn't feel like a long shot.
You don’t blow up “essentially” a 50-win team that is ascending and hasn’t yet proven to have hit a ceiling or become stagnant.

Still, the main point was — they’re not running out the exact same roster. They’ve added a couple pieces that could very well help the team to continue to ascend. Most of all, even if they ran out the exact same roster from top to botton it doesn’t at all mean that their postseason outcome would be destined to repeat.

If HB hits that shot in game 4 and they get past the Warriors, how do we know they don’t advance to the Conference Finals or better? What if that shot goes in this time around, or next time around?

It’s as if many aren’t considering how razor thin these margins of victory and defeat can be. And each season brings the possibility of good fortune being on your side where it wasn’t before.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Why are so many focused on the “first round” thing?

So, if they happened to get the Clippers in round 1 instead of the 4-time and defending champion Warriors then advanced to then lose to GSW in the 2nd round in 7 games — it would somehow be different?

It’s not as if this team got swept in the first round and looked overmatched against a middling team.

Denver lost in the 1st round in 2022 against the same Warriors team and didn’t make any “big splash” signings or blockbuster trades yet managed to win the title the very next season.

Miami got swept in the 1st round in 2021 and didn’t make any “big splash” signings or blockbuster trades yet reached the ECF’s in 2022 and the Finals in 2023.

You don’t blow up “essentially” a 50-win team that is ascending and hasn’t yet proven to have hit a ceiling or become stagnant.

Still, the main point was — they’re not running out the exact same roster. They’ve added a couple pieces that could very well help the team to continue to ascend. Most of all, even if they ran out the exact same roster from top to botton it doesn’t at all mean that their postseason outcome would be destined to repeat.

If HB hits that shot in game 4 and they get past the Warriors, how do we know they don’t advance to the Conference Finals or better? What if that shot goes in this time around, or next time around?

It’s as if many aren’t considering how razor thin these margins of victory and defeat can be. And each season brings the possibility of good fortune being on your side where it wasn’t before.
Shoot... if HB (or Huerter, or Domas...) didn't play like poo the entire series we'd probably have gone to the WCFs and it wouldn't have come down to a buzzer beater attempt!

Not trying to blame HB either, just trying to +1 your point that this team is a lot closer than all the "1st round exit" focused folk think! I don't think the Lakers would have gotten past a rested Warriors team... Dubs had repeat contention buzz until they used up what gas they had getting past our Beam Team. And I don't think the Lakers would have beaten us in the 2nd round either (I'm basing that on **** the Lakers btw).

I'm glad Monte didn't make a huge move. He's set the team up nicely. It's tinker time!

Last edited:
I have my positive & negative thoughts on the "running it back" plan. At the very least, I think they need to try unique sets/lineups though. For example, experiment with a Len-Sabonis frontcourt a bit and have Len space the floor ... Experiment with a Sasha/Lyles 4-5 combo often, experiment with Barnes off the bench and start Sasha or Lyles at the 4', etc etc. Personally, I'm curious how it would look if they totally commit to a "big lineup" - meaning Murray and Barnes just get 3' minutes (with say 12 at the 4') - Then the rest of the 36 4' minutes goes to Sasha & Lyles, and Center is Sabonis/Len ... While of course other times running a unit like Fox-Monk-Huerter-Murray-Center

Last edited:
I have my positive & negative thoughts on the "running it back" plan. At the very least, I think they need to try unique sets/lineups though. For example, experiment with a Len-Sabonis frontcourt a bit and have Len space the floor ... Experiment with a Sasha/Lyles 4-5 combo often, experiment with Barnes off the bench and start Sasha or Lyles at the 4', etc etc. Personally, I'm curious how it would look if they totally commit to a "big lineup" - meaning Murray and Barnes just get 3' minutes (with say 12 at the 4') - Then the rest of the 36 4' minutes goes to Sasha & Lyles, and Center is Sabonis/Len ... While of course other times running a unit like Fox-Monk-Huerter-Murray-Center
I am sure Mike Brown is already sketching out in his mind what the different lineup possibilities are. He really wanted Harrison Barnes to come back, and the feeling was mutual. I think a Sasha/Lyles combo could be devastating off the bench, especially with Monk and Fox passing them the ball. At the same time, he will not really get a good feel for the team until training camp in September.

Shoot... if HB (or Huerter, or Domas...) didn't play like poo the entire series we'd probably have gone to the WCFs and it wouldn't have come down to a buzzer beater attempt!

Not trying to blame HB either, just trying to +1 your point that this team is a lot closer than all the "1st round exit" focused folk think! I don't think the Lakers would have gotten past a rested Warriors team... they had repeat contention buzz until they used up what gas they had getting past the Beam Team. And I don't think the Lakers would have beaten us in the 2nd round either (I'm basing that on **** the Lakers btw).

I'm glad Monte didn't make a huge move. He's set the team up nicely. It's tinker time!
Agreed on all.

FWIW, all I’m reading today is gushing over LAL and PHX and how they along with Denver are clearly top 3 in the West.

Maybe, maybe not.

All I know is most these same people were gushing over LAL and PHX (and other teams) after the trade deadline too, and downplaying the KINGS ability to stay in the top 4. Neither PHX nor LAL won a damned thing and the KINGS exceeded expectations. And many of the other teams that made splashy deadline moves didn’t pan out so well.

WRT PHX, they are a top 3 heavy team. They’ll go as far as KD and his health can carry them. If he or Booker falter or go down for any length of time, they’re in trouble.

Same goes for LAL. They may have some good depth, but they’ve ebbed and flowed on the health of LBJ and AD for years. During the 5 years LBJ has been there, they’ve missed the postseason twice and were 1st round and out another time. So it’s really only been 2 out of 5 years they’ve been a threat. And LBJ and AD have only gotten older and more fragile.

The Warriors still have Steph, Klay, and Dray but are also older and more fragile. And don’t seem to have the same level of defense and depth as in years past.

IMO, the KINGS are on potential path to be a top team with Denver. They are young and don’t have the same age and fragility issues as PHX, LAL, and GSW. They clearly can score with or outscore all of those teams. Just keep improving the depth and team defense and they could ascend beyond those teams.

Tackling Denver and Jokić is gonna be a tough hill for anyone to climb and conquer. But they just lost a key piece from their championship team, so who knows?