Ricky Rubio WILL be the best passer in the league, sooner then you think too.

I am going to assume the post above mine is just sarcasm, but the one above it obviously isn't. I've never seen such stupidity on this board when it comes to Evans. It's astounding.

Can people PLEASE stop talking about Evans in this thread? It has nothing to do with him. It's no wonder half this board hates Rubio when you can't bring him up without a certain group getting all irrational and wanting to trade Evans for scraps.

I am going to assume the post above mine is just sarcasm, but the one above it obviously isn't. I've never seen such stupidity on this board when it comes to Evans. It's astounding.

Can people PLEASE stop talking about Evans in this thread? It has nothing to do with him. It's no wonder half this board hates Rubio when you can't bring him up without a certain group getting all irrational and wanting to trade Evans for scraps.
i honestly dont know how i feel about it right now.... but when you get an opportunity to bring in a talent like that im all in.. wouldnt you trade our cornerstones for derrick rose for example? ;) not saying rubios on his level

I'm starting to see a 6'5 John Stockton in his future. I've always been a Rubio fan, but I can't honestly say that I thought he'd be looking this good so soon. A lot of his bad passes don't really miss all that much either, it's only a matter of time when his passing becomes even more accurate, and he becomes a more aggressive scorer. I've got some serious Rubio envy.

also guys will ENJOY playing on your team with rubio.. you know you will get the ball you will score.. and look good thus getting a bigger paycheck in the future... Rubio is getting better and better and he is already starting under adelman that says a lot. we know adelman doesn't like to give rookies time right?

agree on selling tix. Arco would be packed.. and the jerseys will come flying off the shelves... seriously WTF was GP thinking!? heck i would throw in evans cousins and jj for rubio and scraps right now and start a true rebuild...
Alright, greetings y'all. After a reprieve, I'm back. I just wanted to say in response to this, do you think that this the sort of attitude/mentality that is detrimental to the Kings as a whole? The whole "It would sell tickets, Arco will be packed, etc". That's a band-aid over a gaping wound.

We did the same thing with Tyreke. He was a rookie, but we gave him the keys to the city, and the FO marketed him as the 20-5-5 campaign, overlooking the good of the team and focusing on the accomplishments of the one.

I mean, I could care less how many jerseys "fly off shelves", or how packed Arco is to see one guy. I would rather we get players that can be roleplayers and make this team better in the long run. So I think this guy has the right action but for the wrong reasons.

We did the same with Jimmer this year, taking a huge name, but was he really the sort of guy we needed?

I mean yes, we would have had to wait some time for him, but would it have been worth it, is the question. I don't pretend to know, but I wonder what people think.

Is it that hard to say us "Pro-Rubio" people were at least right about him a little bit though? I wanted a PG a couple years ago, and I took flack from a bunch of idiots on this forum for the last two years because I wanted Rubio. Not crying abou tit, but the pro-Evans people are really reaching now that they are on the defensive. Kind of wished that we could have drafted at least 3 of those below that I was hyping the last few years.

2007 - Joakim Noah
2008 - Kevin Love - DeAndre Jordan - Mario Chalmers
2009 - Ricky Rubio - Jrue Holiday
2010 - DeMarcus Cousins
2011 - Kemba Walker - Jordan Hamilton

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Is it that hard to say us "Pro-Rubio" people were at least right about him a little bit though?
Being myopic is not the same thing as being right.

Rubio can play. Good for him. So can our kid. Point at which your and a certain percentage of the KF population's brain turns off.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is it that hard to say us "Pro-Rubio" people were at least right about him a little bit though? I wanted a PG a couple years ago, and I took flack from a bunch of idiots on this forum for the last two years because I wanted Rubio. Not crying abou tit, but the pro-Evans people are really reaching now that they are on the defensive. Kind of wished that we could have drafted at least 3 of those below that I was hyping the last few years.

2007 - Joakim Noah
2008 - Kevin Love - DeAndre Jordan - Mario Chalmers
2009 - Ricky Rubio - Jrue Holiday
2010 - DeMarcus Cousins
2011 - Kemba Walker - Jordan Hamilton
And you know what keeps the rift open and worsening? When you resort to name calling ("bunch of idiots") to try and make yourself appear some kind of set-upon victim.

As far as Rubio goes, the player you're seeing in Minnesota right now is NOT the player we would have seen two years ago. Period. To deny that those two additional seasons in Europe helped him to hone his skills is delusional. Sorry, but you're arguing apples and turnips.

Alright, greetings y'all. After a reprieve, I'm back. I just wanted to say in response to this, do you think that this the sort of attitude/mentality that is detrimental to the Kings as a whole? The whole "It would sell tickets, Arco will be packed, etc". That's a band-aid over a gaping wound.

We did the same thing with Tyreke. He was a rookie, but we gave him the keys to the city, and the FO marketed him as the 20-5-5 campaign, overlooking the good of the team and focusing on the accomplishments of the one.

I mean, I could care less how many jerseys "fly off shelves", or how packed Arco is to see one guy. I would rather we get players that can be roleplayers and make this team better in the long run. So I think this guy has the right action but for the wrong reasons.

We did the same with Jimmer this year, taking a huge name, but was he really the sort of guy we needed?

I mean yes, we would have had to wait some time for him, but would it have been worth it, is the question. I don't pretend to know, but I wonder what people think.
it would have been worth the wait.. and he WAS what the team needed at the time and he would have made this team much better. management probably felt otherwise.. sucks we didnt get him and it will haunt me and a few kings fans who were adamant about getting him as he continues to get better.. oh well. watched a few clips and games of rubio i can say that the kid can play the point

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sheeesh! I wanted Rubio yet I think I have just been called an idiot because I don't want to trade Evans. This is getting plain weird and hideously old. I like both. The films I saw of Rubio back a couple years ago didn't look all that good. If I recall, he wasn't a starter on his national team. He's gotten a lot better but I'm not going to nominate him for sainthood based on 15 or so games. I haven't even watched him play and am not interested. I presume that makes me an idiot. We picked one guy and some people didn't like it. Is that chest thumping I hear? If he turns out to be the best at whatever he is, that's fine. Then he will be ROY this year.

Maybe Petrie just didn't think Rubio was ready enough two years ago.

A lot can happen in two years. Can you imagine what two more years of college or international league time would have done for any of the Kings young (or any of the young NBA) players.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe Petrie just didn't think Rubio was ready enough two years ago.
I think that's safe to say. Some here will probably recall the "mother issues" that he had at the time - for instance, when Petrie took Rubio and his mother to dinner, she cut his steak for him. On what was essentially a job interview.

Sheeesh! I wanted Rubio yet I think I have just been called an idiot because I don't want to trade Evans. This is getting plain weird and hideously old. I like both. The films I saw of Rubio back a couple years ago didn't look all that good. If I recall, he wasn't a starter on his national team. He's gotten a lot better but I'm not going to nominate him for sainthood based on 15 or so games. I haven't even watched him play and am not interested. I presume that makes me an idiot. We picked one guy and some people didn't like it. Is that chest thumping I hear? If he turns out to be the best at whatever he is, that's fine. Then he will be ROY this year.
No, it just makes your opinion uninformed.

As far as Rubio goes, the player you're seeing in Minnesota right now is NOT the player we would have seen two years ago. Period. To deny that those two additional seasons in Europe helped him to hone his skills is delusional. Sorry, but you're arguing apples and turnips.
You know European bball that well? How many Joventut and Barca games with Rubio have you watched?? I think he lost 2 years. He should've come at least last year. Yes, he is older and more mature now but skill-wise - wasted years.

It's kind of ironic that you're saying this because before this season, many people were criticizing Ricky for how little he appeared to have improved over the last two years, and some even accused him of regressing. I thought many of those criticisms were actually fair, but I knew that so much of Rubio's game was being held back because of the way the game is played in Europe. So while I think it's obvious that he's better than he was two years ago, I don't think it's even nearly as much as you apparently think it is. The maturity, the IQ, the decision making, while a little more refined now, were still way ahead of the curve two years ago, especially for a 19 year old. As far as it goes with his IQ, vision, passing, decision making, advanced ball handling, motor, and leadership intangibles, he was a phenom. Those things are either very hard to learn, or almost impossible to learn, the things he needed to get better at were shooting and strength, which was typical for a guard his age. Plus, all those things he had in spades over Evans, and the 19 year old Rubio is better at those things than even present day Evans. I personally think that Rubio would be even further ahead in his game right now if he was developing in the NBA over the last two years instead of in Barca.

I really don't see how pointing out that a 19 year old Rubio wouldn't be as ready as a 21 year old Rubio is really this slam dunk point. How often are rookies really all that ready for the NBA nowadays? Most of them aren't, that's how things are now, and they've been that way for a while. If the worst team in the NBA (which the Kings were in the 2009 draft) in it's first real pick of their rebuild wasn't willing to wait a couple of years for a player to mature, then their priorities were all out of whack. I also find it somewhat of an odd claim since the Kings took Tyreke, who while may had nba ready skill of getting to the basket at the time of the draft, he was still very raw and immature, so that excuse doesn't fly. If the Kings were really looking for the most ready and polished player, they would have taken Stephen Curry, because by that criteria, Curry fit the bill at that time.

Last edited:

Noooo. No name-calling. At least not by me. I was just questioning the intent behind picking Tyreke - simply because of the marketing technique the FO used with the 20-5-5 campaign. Something about it didn't sit well with me when they were touting a rookie's campaign as if he was an All-Star, putting it over the teams W/L record, or improving the team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Noooo. No name-calling. At least not by me. I was just questioning the intent behind picking Tyreke - simply because of the marketing technique the FO used with the 20-5-5 campaign. Something about it didn't sit well with me when they were touting a rookie's campaign as if he was an All-Star, putting it over the teams W/L record, or improving the team.
Here's my dirty little secret: I had quit watching the Kings and had quit posting notes on KF. The latter is easy to verify. It went on for a couple years. When Tyreke came to the team, I resumed watching the Kings because at least something was interesting. The marketing campaign was just that but the skill that produced those stats was real. Tyreke was/is not a product of an advertising campaign. Tyreke was/is a very skilled athlete and what he did his rookie year was exceptional.

I do not think Tyreke was drafted for marketing reasons. No one knew who he was except baja. :) Certainly he wasn't a household name to warrant being drafted to put butts in seats. As it worked out, it regained the Kings one fan. I suspect I was not the only fan that resumed following the Kings. I didn't need marketing to convince me that he was something special. I do not understand why the ills of the Kings are placed so heavily on his shoulders.

A good coach can adapt his offense to match the skills of his players. I thoroughly believe that although I haven't seen it in years from this team. How many teams ran their offense through their 4/5 players without a true PG on the floor? It can be done as it WAS done. The teams of 10 years ago were great and didn't have a pure PG. Bibby was not a pure PG. In fact if Fredette matures properly, he will be very much like Bibby. It baffles me that so many people think our lack of a real PG is the primary reason for the failure of the Kings this year. I think it is the failure of the coaches to use a very unique talent.

I wasn't directing my comments at anyone in general. Rubio is who I wanted and of the players in the draft, I knew very few but Rubio was one of them. He would have been the guy drafted for marketing reasons.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's kind of ironic that you're saying this because before this season, many people were criticizing Ricky for how little he appeared to have improved over the last two years, and some even accused him of regressing. I thought many of those criticisms were actually fair, but I knew that so much of Rubio's game was being held back because of the way the game is played in Europe. So while I think it's obvious that he's better than he was two years ago, I don't think it's even nearly as much as you apparently think it is. The maturity, the IQ, the decision making, while a little more refined now, were still way ahead of the curve two years ago, especially for a 19 year old. As far as it goes with his IQ, vision, passing, decision making, advanced ball handling, motor, and leadership intangibles, he was a phenom. Those things are either very hard to learn, or almost impossible to learn, the things he needed to get better at were shooting and strength, which was typical for a guard his age. Plus, all those things he had in spades over Evans, and the 19 year old Rubio is better at those things than even present day Evans. I personally think that Rubio would be even further ahead in his game right now if he was developing in the NBA over the last two years instead of in Barca.

I really don't see how pointing out that a 19 year old Rubio wouldn't be as ready as a 21 year old Rubio is really this slam dunk point. How often are rookies really all that ready for the NBA nowadays? Most of them aren't, that's how things are now, and they've been that way for a while. If the worst team in the NBA (which the Kings were in the 2009 draft) in it's first real pick of their rebuild wasn't willing to wait a couple of years for a player to mature, then their priorities were all out of whack. I also find it somewhat of an odd claim since the Kings took Tyreke, who while may had nba ready skill of getting to the basket at the time of the draft, he was still very raw and immature, so that excuse doesn't fly. If the Kings were really looking for the most ready and polished player, they would have taken Stephen Curry, because by that criteria, Curry fit the bill at that time.
Two years ago, Rubio was a very young 19. As has been pointed out, his mother totally smothered him. He would have been eaten alive in the NBA, especially considering the incredible hype surrounding him at the time.

I think he grew up - on and off the court - these past two years and the ridiculous Rubio-mania subsided somewhat so that he's able to step up and prove himself with less baggage than would have been with him back then. I think he'll do very, very well in the NBA but I still don't think he would have done so in 2009. Had he come to Sacramento, the pressure of trying to save a franchise might well have destroyed him.

I won't compare Evans and Rubio for the simple reason it's irrelevant. In fact, I think I'm done with this topic. I said what I felt I wanted to say; the rest is a rehash of what went on around here over two years ago.

RussoTuristo - You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Considering the extremely short time you've been on KF, however, please forgive me if I don't give it much credence. People like Vlade4GM state their points of difference without the sarcasm or snide commentary. You might be well served to emulate him.

You know European bball that well? How many Joventut and Barca games with Rubio have you watched?? I think he lost 2 years. He should've come at least last year. Yes, he is older and more mature now but skill-wise - wasted years.
This. From the daily dime on Jan 11th I posted.

His passing game, perfectly on display Tuesday night, has been as exciting and impactful as advertised. But he's also brought a surprising shooting ability that was much maligned in all his scouting reports. While on Team USA in 2010, Rose played against Rubio in an exhibition game overseas. According to the 2011 NBA MVP, not much has changed in Rubio's game.

"There's no difference -- if anything, he's shooting the ball. Over there, he wasn't shooting the ball. Over here, he has a lot of confidence when he plays. When he gets inside midrange, he's a good player," Rose said.

Two years ago, Rubio was a very young 19. As has been pointed out, his mother totally smothered him. He would have been eaten alive in the NBA, especially considering the incredible hype surrounding him at the time.

I think he grew up - on and off the court - these past two years and the ridiculous Rubio-mania subsided somewhat so that he's able to step up and prove himself with less baggage than would have been with him back then. I think he'll do very, very well in the NBA but I still don't think he would have done so in 2009. Had he come to Sacramento, the pressure of trying to save a franchise might well have destroyed him.

I won't compare Evans and Rubio for the simple reason it's irrelevant. In fact, I think I'm done with this topic. I said what I felt I wanted to say; the rest is a rehash of what went on around here over two years ago.

RussoTuristo - You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Considering the extremely short time you've been on KF, however, please forgive me if I don't give it much credence. People like Vlade4GM state their points of difference without the sarcasm or snide commentary. You might be well served to emulate him.
He's been playing with Euro pros since he was like 12. And started professionally at 16. He was ready at 19 more than college players his age.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Not at all. There were multiple reports about the front office being concerned about Rubio's maturity and readiness to tackle the NBA grind. The one I just mentioned was one, and it was completely appropriate to what I was responding to.

For the record, I wanted Rubio. After the Thunder took Harden, I spent the entire time between their pick and ours pacing in front of the television and worrying about the hints that had been dropped that we might not be interested in him even if he fell. And when we took Tyreke, I fell to my knees in disappointment. But I kept an open mind about Tyreke, and you know what? He turned out to be a more talented player than I had hoped for. I'm happy we have him. I'll admit that I'm surprised by Rubio's strong start, and time will tell whether he or Evans turns out to be the better player. I sure don't know. But one thing I do know, and that's that the whole Rubio-vs.-Evans "war" is a pointless, chest-thumping waste of time and reflects poorly on all who engage in it. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm a part of it.

I think that's safe to say. Some here will probably recall the "mother issues" that he had at the time - for instance, when Petrie took Rubio and his mother to dinner, she cut his steak for him. On what was essentially a job interview.
That's the thing, that doesnt mean that will translate to the court whatever smothering his mom did im pretty sure he is still the point guard he is on the court. they made a boo-boo with that one.. he was a kid then.. and who knows how close his family ties are.. here its pretty normal for an 18 year old even a 24 year old to live with the parents... workout was unimpressive cause his game was tailor made for team play, whatever whats done is done.

for the record if I had to redo that draft over again... Rubio > Steph curry > Evans , though curry is having ankle issues now :S

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
That's the thing, that doesnt mean that will translate to the court whatever smothering his mom did im pretty sure he is still the point guard he is on the court. they made a boo-boo with that one.. he was a kid then.. and who knows how close his family ties are.. here its pretty normal for an 18 year old even a 24 year old to live with the parents... workout was unimpressive cause his game was tailor made for team play, whatever whats done is done.

for the record if I had to redo that draft over again... Rubio > Steph curry > Evans , though curry is having ankle issues now :S
Um, there is a difference between living with your parents and, as a professional basketball player, having your mother cut your food for you at a restaraunt during interviews with a team who will possibly draft you.

He also (IIRC) refused to work out with others for the Kings before the draft. I know Tyreke and others participated in group workouts.

I don't watch college ball or overseas pro ball. So I was just basing my opinion on the clips and stories I read before the draft.

Weeks before the draft I was hoping we'd pick Rubio. As the draft got closer, I wavered between he and Tyreke. Tyreke's workouts for the Kings against others showed him to be a man among boys with the other guards. On draft day I was rooting for Tyreke, with Rubio 2nd (assuming we were taking a guard). Some of these maturity issues and lack of competitive workouts played a hand in how I felt.

Nobody can tell how Rubio would have fared had he come over to the Kings 2 years ago and played for PW. It's impossible to know! What we do know is that with two more years of overseas pro ball under his belt and a REAL coach in Rick he appears to be doing pretty well. GREAT! Good for him. I want him to succeed. I like the kid and would not have been too disappointed had we drafted him.

Can we just let both these guys develop and see what happens?

Um, there is a difference between living with your parents and, as a professional basketball player, having your mother cut your food for you at a restaraunt during interviews with a team who will possibly draft you.

He also (IIRC) refused to work out with others for the Kings before the draft. I know Tyreke and others participated in group workouts.

I don't watch college ball or overseas pro ball. So I was just basing my opinion on the clips and stories I read before the draft.

Weeks before the draft I was hoping we'd pick Rubio. As the draft got closer, I wavered between he and Tyreke. Tyreke's workouts for the Kings against others showed him to be a man among boys with the other guards. On draft day I was rooting for Tyreke, with Rubio 2nd (assuming we were taking a guard). Some of these maturity issues and lack of competitive workouts played a hand in how I felt.

Nobody can tell how Rubio would have fared had he come over to the Kings 2 years ago and played for PW. It's impossible to know! What we do know is that with two more years of overseas pro ball under his belt and a REAL coach in Rick he appears to be doing pretty well. GREAT! Good for him. I want him to succeed. I like the kid and would not have been too disappointed had we drafted him.

Can we just let both these guys develop and see what happens?
And this is what we are seeing now. Rubio is a team player and Evans is a one on one player. Petrie has been going downhill since 2003. Every move and decision gets worse and worse.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And this is what we are seeing now. Rubio is a team player and Evans is a one on one player. Petrie has been going downhill since 2003. Every move and decision gets worse and worse.
Gee, yeah, I sure hope Petrie stops selecting Rookies of the Year in the draft.

Some of the reasoning being used on this board lately sounds more like propaganda than anything else. By Section 101's reasoning, and correct me if im wrong, the only way for Petrie to have done well in the 2009 draft was if he selected Rubio. Even if i believed Rubio was the best player I still would have been totally turned off by his lack of participation in workouts. Rubio made it look like he was hiding negative information about his game.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You didn't even read what I posted, did you? How do you get that from my post?

I'm looking forward to seeing Rubio play tonight. It will my first time seeing him play. It's always interesting to see all the attention that some of our posters give to a transaction that took place years ago. I might of had opinions then but so much time has passed that I have forgotten. Go Kings, go Rubio.