Ricky Rubio WILL be the best passer in the league, sooner then you think too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This kid is exactly who the Kings need right now. A facilitator for the offense. But hey hindsight is 20/20. Hopefully Tyreke starts playing better so we can forget about what could have been.
Cue last night. And honestly, what this team really needs right now is a new coach and arena

The excitement over there is reminiscent of Sacramento when we got Williams. They have a lot of talent too. They're going to be good in a few years if Kahn doesn't mess it up. And Ricky is doing better than even I expected this soon, having a big impact.

And Ricky is doing better than even I expected this soon, having a big impact.
Rubio was made to play NBA basketball. Tony Parker is a different kinda player but you can say the same thing about him. European game is so cramped and zone oriented and it is tough for fast-running or fast-playing PGs. Jennings hit the same wall in Italy and almost won NBA ROY next year. Remember Theo Papaloukas, a Greek god of Russian basketball? So-called worlds greatest play-maker, won everything with CSKA but he was not/is not NBA material and he made the right decision to stay in Europe. Teodosich is the new Papaloukas. Great for Europe, almost nobody for NBA IMO.

I'm a big fan of Ricky and I'm glad he's doing so well, but it also hurts to see him doing well with another team. I know this is controversial to bring up, but I still firmly believe he was the right pick for us in '09. He may not be a franchise player per se, but I don't really think you can say that about anyone else on the draft board at the time either. I think he's going to be an impact player though, and a winner, and those aren't easy to come by. I said back in '09 that Ricky is going to help a team win more than any player in that draft, and with the exception of Griffin, I still think that's the case. I expect Ricky to eventually run into somewhat of a wall this year when his defenders start to adjust to him, but I think he's so smart and savvy that he's going to adjust well in return and become one of the best floor generals in the game. As high as I was on Ricky coming into this season, I did not expect him to start off quite this well, he's finally showing consistency in game with his improved shot-mechanics.

Rubio was made to play NBA basketball. Tony Parker is a different kinda player but you can say the same thing about him. European game is so cramped and zone oriented and it is tough for fast-running or fast-playing PGs. Jennings hit the same wall in Italy and almost won NBA ROY next year. Remember Theo Papaloukas, a Greek god of Russian basketball? So-called worlds greatest play-maker, won everything with CSKA but he was not/is not NBA material and he made the right decision to stay in Europe. Teodosich is the new Papaloukas. Great for Europe, almost nobody for NBA IMO.
So many people didn't understand this, they just looked at him and thought oh typical skilled unathletic Euro, that must mean he's better in the European game than he would in the NBA. WRONG!

The people who were complaining about his athleticism did not understand how great his ball handling ability is, and how good he is at changing pace and direction.

All those people giving me grief a couple years ago I feel like shoving it back in their faces... But..... Yah.... I was pretty damned upset about the draft a few years back and I took a summer off from the board because hardly anyone agreed with me.. Ahh well..

I think tyreke had a lot of amazing rookie highlights as well. Basically we don't know yet, rubio still havs a lot to prove before we can say that we made the wrong pick. Tyreke's in his 3rd year already while Rubio is in his first. If we picked him, we would be 2 years behind in development...(not that I think tyreke developed well under WP).

I didn't watched the game but his stats doesn't seem that impressive..but that's just stat. I think it's still a long way before anyone can say I told you so.

At this point in time..I still would take Tyreke over Rubio.

Of course, but my concern for him was his slight frame (which he seems to have improved), shaky jumper (which has been ridiculously good but will drop to a more realistic figure), and general adjustment to the NBA. It appears though that he's fitted right in and didn't even need a bedding in period. Stands to his IQ and character. Once he gets the starting position I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him put up 9+ assists per game, which is outstanding for a rookie.

I'm not getting into Evans Vs. Rubio. I loved Rubio prior to the draft and still follow his career, but I was happy with how the draft went and at this point, I still am. Evans is a huge talent. This thread isn't really for that discussion.

I think tyreke had a lot of amazing rookie highlights as well. Basically we don't know yet, rubio still havs a lot to prove before we can say that we made the wrong pick. Tyreke's in his 3rd year already while Rubio is in his first. If we picked him, we would be 2 years behind in development...(not that I think tyreke developed well under WP).

I didn't watched the game but his stats doesn't seem that impressive..but that's just stat. I think it's still a long way before anyone can say I told you so.

At the time, I'm pretty sure that Rubio was sold on the Kings. Had we picked him, he might have worked something out to come to Sacramento.I know the main reason behind him staying in Europe was his contract there, but his family hated the idea of Minnesota. I live here now, and I hate it, lol. That might have swerved his decision as well. In any case, who knows if he would have had the same success two years ago as he is doing now. Maybe developing his game in Europe did him good.

Tyreke, become your old beast self again so we can stop the "what ifs" !!!!!!!!!

Nothing has been proven of course, but Evans has been showing a lot of the weaknesses I was concerned of at the time of the draft, and Rubio is doing a lot of the things right now that the Kings really needed badly back then and still to this date. The argument for Rubio deserved a lot more credit than it got, we basically got painted on this board as some mob enamored with youtube videos.

I don't think Rubio's the type of player that you can really judge by stats, at least not your garden variety box score stats. But neither was Jason Kidd, although he filled up the box score, his impact can't really be fully understood by just looking at his stats.

Last edited:
At the time, I'm pretty sure that Rubio was sold on the Kings. Had we picked him, he might have worked something out to come to Sacramento.I know the main reason behind him staying in Europe was his contract there, but his family hated the idea of Minnesota. I live here now, and I hate it, lol. That might have swerved his decision as well. In any case, who knows if he would have had the same success two years ago as he is doing now. Maybe developing his game in Europe did him good.

Tyreke, become your old beast self again so we can stop the "what ifs" !!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty certain that Rubio would have come over in 09-10 if we had drafted him. Everything pointed to him wanting to be in Sac, he would have sacrificed the money to be here.

I think Rubio benefited from playing in Europe, but not nearly as much as he would have if he played in the NBA the last two years. Better trainers, more individual attention, and would have playing in a system where he had more freedom to develop his scoring ability in games.

Nice block at the end of the quarter on a breakaway by San Antonio.. Rubio only has about 12 mins going into the 4th but you can tell he has made a difference on the floor.

I'm pretty certain that Rubio would have come over in 09-10 if we had drafted him. Everything pointed to him wanting to be in Sac, he would have sacrificed the money to be here.

I think Rubio benefited from playing in Europe, but not nearly as much as he would have if he played in the NBA the last two years. Better trainers, more individual attention, and would have playing in a system where he had more freedom to develop his scoring ability in games.
I think he's benefited more from staying in Europe the extra two years than he would have if he came over in 09. And the bit in bold is very debatable and unknown. There are some fantastic trainers and coaches in Europe, some of whom are far better than some with NBA jobs. Barcelona have some good coaches too. Easy to forget that Rubio developed the way he has in part because of the coaching he received growing up. We're splitting hairs though, it's not really relevant.

I could understand if our pick hadn't worked out. In such a case I'd be very annoyed that we'd missed on him. But Evans is far more potent a player, and if he can work it all out, there's no doubt who I'd prefer. Given that we got a great talent, I just don't see why people are so down on passing on him.

I think he's benefited more from staying in Europe the extra two years than he would have if he came over in 09. And the bit in bold is very debatable and unknown. There are some fantastic trainers and coaches in Europe, some of whom are far better than some with NBA jobs. Barcelona have some good coaches too. Easy to forget that Rubio developed the way he has in part because of the coaching he received growing up. We're splitting hairs though, it's not really relevant.

I could understand if our pick hadn't worked out. In such a case I'd be very annoyed that we'd missed on him. But Evans is far more potent a player, and if he can work it all out, there's no doubt who I'd prefer. Given that we got a great talent, I just don't see why people are so down on passing on him.
In terms of physical development, I think the NBA has better trainers, and I do think he would have gotten more individual attention. An NBA franchise invests a lot in the long term development of players, a team like Barca? Not so much.

I think Evans is a very good individual talent, but I don't think that's going to translate to team success so well. All he's really proven to me is that he's a very good one-on-one player, but his style is not conducive to team play. I think he'll be someone that will put up good stats, but will always disappoint in how it turns into wins. That's the same concern I had with him pre-draft and it's a big reason why I preferred Rubio back then, and why I still do.

only 3 assists last night but showed off some terrific court vision. He's illusive too on the drible, similar to Rondo in that respect.

Thing about rubio is he is also exciting to watch with out the recklessness, his passes are so accurate... not to mention he gets his points when he wants it. he was what we needed.. theres going to be alot of people thinking of the what if's and what could have beens as he puts up stellar numbers. I really am afraid reke wont live up to his potential.

Reke will always be better than Rubio. But Westphal is ruining this teams on both offense and defense. Sack him now before this stink sticks with the players for good.

It's all about the system, the Reke v Rubio thing is silly, but just a natural talking point. Two different players who would both THRIVE in the right offense.

The wolves might have found one for Rubio, we haven't for Reke, simple as that.

Reke will always be better than Rubio.
Nobody knows that.

Two different players who would both THRIVE in the right offense. The wolves might have found one for Rubio, we haven't for Reke, simple as that.
My biggest concern with Tyreke is that he needs or he even has to be in a right system to be effective and I am not sure that he is that good because his 'right system' is a superstar-oriented one. He is not a super athlete and will never be and his jump shot is still average and 3pt shot is below average.

Maybe the most satisfying thing about this is that Rubio is clearly already a better player than Jennings. That smug idiot was incredibly arrogant going over to Europe and couldn't even get game time. I hope someone brings up his old quotes in a year or two when Rubio is being talked about as one of the league's best PGs and Jennings is recognised as the chucker he is.

Here are Ricky's highlights from last night, he had 12/10.

Last edited by a moderator: