Rate Webber Trade on a scale of 1 to 10

Newbie here; I'm a 76ers fan. You guys will like Kenny Thomas and Corliss they are solid veteran players while not spectacular they will add depth to your team. Kenny averaged 18 and 11 after the all-star break last season for us.

What's the deal with CWebb? Right now the last 2 games for us he looks washed up. Hes dragging his leg and is slow...shot 4-18 tonight not a good start so far for us. He seems to be lossed in the 76ers offense. Is he washed up or does he just struggle physically in back to back games? This deal isn't looking good for the 76ers right now.

thebostonstrangler said:
Newbie here; I'm a 76ers fan. You guys will like Kenny Thomas and Corliss they are solid veteran players while not spectacular they will add depth to your team. Kenny averaged 18 and 11 after the all-star break last season for us.

What's the deal with CWebb? Right now the last 2 games for us he looks washed up. Hes dragging his leg and is slow...shot 4-18 tonight not a good start so far for us. He seems to be lossed in the 76ers offense. Is he washed up or does he just struggle physically in back to back games? This deal isn't looking good for the 76ers right now.
3 games isn't enough to judge anything. With that said Chris isn't the player he once was and often needs alot of touches to get going. When he does get going, he is great.

Heuge said:
3 games isn't enough to judge anything. With that said Chris isn't the player he once was and often needs alot of touches to get going. When he does get going, he is great.
Yeah, I hear ya, so far I don't think we are using Webber correctly in our offense. He isn't getting enough touches they probably need some practices to get some chemistry and put him in the high post to make things happen with his passing ability. It's probably the same thing with the Kings new players.

thebostonstrangler said:

He looks like a bad fit for you guys to me. He needs a structured halfcourt offense to be effective, from what I've seen(I've been watching) you guys seem to score a lot in the fast break and have a lot of 1 on 1 in your offense. C-Webb can no longer play that way. O'brien will have to make adjustments if he's going to be effective.

KP said:
He looks like a bad fit for you guys to me. He needs a structured halfcourt offense to be effective, from what I've seen(I've been watching) you guys seem to score a lot in the fast break and have a lot of 1 on 1 in your offense. C-Webb can no longer play that way. O'brien will have to make adjustments if he's going to be effective.
KP is right on.

KP said:
Yeah, the Kings had a passing ball movement offense that suited Webber to a tee but with the 76ers we have a dribbling offense mainly Iverson dribbling around screens etc.,, and Iverson loves to push the ball up court and the tempo(not good for CWebbs knee). O'Brien will have to make some adjustments with our half court offense but that will be tough in the middle of a playoff run.

piksi

Hall of Famer
thebostonstrangler said:

This is from a Kings fan who did not loke Webber's game after returning from the injury. - Webber is not Your problem. Iverson is. Sixers will never win anything as long as Iverson is there. He can score 60 but he is not a team player and has no team concept. Webber is a player that needs a ball to be effective. He has nothing else left but if You know how to use him - he can really help. I had no idea that 3 guys that we got can play as well as they do. Reason - Iverson

thebostonstrangler said:
Yeah, the Kings had a passing ball movement offense that suited Webber to a tee but with the 76ers we have a dribbling offense mainly Iverson dribbling around screens etc.,, and Iverson loves to push the ball up court and the tempo(not good for CWebbs knee). O'Brien will have to make some adjustments with our half court offense but that will be tough in the middle of a playoff run.
yeah, it's really a shame right now that Webb's talent is being wasted, and your team is struggling. I honestly hate to see it (specially since the 76ers just became my 2nd favorite team!) That offense is going to be hard to work Webb into unless something can give. Webb plays his heart out, but he can't make that knee work any better than it already is.

By the way, what's the best 76er fan board if we want to come visit?

thebostonstrangler said:
Yeah, the Kings had a passing ball movement offense that suited Webber to a tee but with the 76ers we have a dribbling offense mainly Iverson dribbling around screens etc.,, and Iverson loves to push the ball up court and the tempo. O'Brien will have to make some adjustments with our half court offense but that will be tough in the middle of a playoff run.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens, some people on here might disagree with me but I think the one thing you can count on is Webber will play better than he has, He's just to good a player not to. He won't let himself drag your team down... The only thing is he just might injure himself in the process. Iverson and Webb are going to have to talk and figure it out. From what I've seen you guys have enough talent to run a good half court set. Iverson/Webb could be a mean pick and roll with Korver coming around a screen on the other side off a screen as an outlet, and your bigs are athletic and have decent hands and decent mid range touch(for bigs) The question is can O'brien coach that way, and will The Answer let him?

KP said:
It's going to be interesting to see what happens, some people on here might disagree with me but I think the one thing you can count on is Webber will play better than he has, He's just to good a player not to. He won't let himself drag your team down... The only thing is he just might injure himself in the process. Iverson and Webb are going to have to talk and figure it out. From what I've seen you guys have enough talent to run a good half court set. Iverson/Webb could be a mean pick and roll with Korver coming around a screen on the other side off a screen as an outlet, and your bigs are athletic and have decent hands and decent mid range touch(for bigs) The question is can O'brien coach that way, and will The Answer let him?
I completely agree with you. Adjustments or no, Webb will get better, but with a couple of adjustments he could really "wow" the fans in Philly. Would love to see Iverson and Webb working together -- the 76ers would really reap the benefits of the trade if they could work that out.

Webber is also a pretty emotional guy. I think this hurt him pretty bad and I wouldn't be surprised if he is still a little down about kinda having his heart ripped out by this trade. My guess is that, more than anything, is the problem right now. Not often that Webber has 3 games in a row where he shoots this poorly.

Would help if AI gave up the ball to Webber ocasionally...he might find that he actually gets some easier looks...he is so quick he should be able to cut backdoor all the time.

skeletor8 said:
Webber is also a pretty emotional guy. I think this hurt him pretty bad and I wouldn't be surprised if he is still a little down about kinda having his heart ripped out by this trade. My guess is that, more than anything, is the problem right now. Not often that Webber has 3 games in a row where he shoots this poorly.

Would help if AI gave up the ball to Webber ocasionally...he might find that he actually gets some easier looks...he is so quick he should be able to cut backdoor all the time.
I agree with you here. Webber honestly looks and sounds crushed. And, he was really shocked. It is definitely still bothering him & it's going to take a while to get it out of his system. You're right, Webb has been known to have his "off" nights, but not 3 in a row. ....sigh... I hope the problem corrects itself soon, I really feel sorry for Webb.

Webb wasn't the only one on the Sixers tonight who looked crappy and off. (Flipping back and forth between Us and Them). It's like a parallel universe, what is happening over there is the same thing that's happening here!!!

Gives me some comfort during this mourning period.

twodogmac said:
Webb wasn't the only one on the Sixers tonight who looked crappy and off. (Flipping back and forth between Us and Them). It's like a parallel universe, what is happening over there is the same thing that's happening here!!!

Gives me some comfort during this mourning period.
yeah, midseason trades are just hard for everyone... especially us fans!:eek:

NoBonus said:
No it wasn't but we can make more trades with these three players' smaller contracts than with Webber's giant contract. The key is the flexibility to make trades.
Yeah, but like you said about Webber, we'll have to packaged them with other players to get anything decent. I would've taken my chances with Webber this year and wait till the off-season to make moves, but that's just me.

I would give the trade a 5; and that's me being open minded and generous. I'm basing this on what it does to the team currently- it's hard to chase a championship with so many new players (if it was low before, it's basically down to the floor now)- and future flexibility- we got little financial relief.

I like Skinner because he’s brings something we haven’t had for awhile—Shotblocking.

Corlisss seems like he’s trying, but too much one on one, which freezes our system.

Kenny, looks like he as a nice offense game, but doesn’t look like someone who can play the four out west. Could be the back-up to Peja that we’ve been looking for, but too expensive.

I know it’s not fair since we’ve only played a few games together, but that’s just all I’m basing it on.

PaPaK said:

10 !!!

Now here is a statement first post!

Webber struggling in his new environment should be no surprise to anyone, but I think he will adjust. Bibby and Mobley both struggling the last two games tells me they are also having a hard time--after the smoke has settled. Bibby is laboring without Web's help at the point and Mobley lost another friend to a trade. It will take some time to adjust.

That said, I give this trade a 10 also. It would have been IMPOSSIBLE to move Web, had he become injured and lost what game he had left. Web should never have been the first option and took much away from some of the "supporting cast" in the end, imo. I am probably one of the very few who did not want to sign Webber in 2000.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
albeitrue said:
I am probably one of the very few who did not want to sign Webber in 2000.
And that truly WOULD have been nuts. Our entire golden era cancelled before it even began. Sad thought.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
You know, I think after the initial shock has worn off, Im going to give this trade a 7.5...After hours of thinking, i came up with this very accurate and percise chart.

Chris Webber >>>> Kenny Thomas/Corliss Williamson/Brian Skinner

HOWEVER...

Corliss Williamson >>>>>>> Matt Barnes
Brian Skinner >>>>>>> Micheal Bradley

What we lose in Webber is scoring, leadership and passing. I think Bibby has already began to step into this vacant leadership role. I think our offense is faring just fine, and we have yet to get barley any practive in. Scoring is definatly NOT a problem.

Our weakness at the beginning of the year was the bench. And now our bench is looking pretty good. Evans, Thomas, Skinner, Williamson, House as our first 5, then Tag and Martin. Not to bad. Then if Jackson returns in the playoffs, watch out!

I believe once our new guys learn our system, they will be just fine. They will learn the beauty of the extra pass, and realize that they will get their shots even if they pass more than they usually do. Thats the beauty of our offense.

Now if we can just figure out defense...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That isn't PaPak's "first post." He's a confirmed Webber hater and a notorious agitator in chat. He'd posted on the board before the Crash and, well... quite frankly, let's just say that his absence since then was no great loss.

Bricklayer said:
And that truly WOULD have been nuts. Our entire golden era cancelled before it even began. Sad thought.
Point well taken.

However, Golden era or no Kings are ringless and now must construct a new team to compete for the prize. Isn't that what competition is all about? Maybe you're thinking "a golden era is good enough for me", but I would have found a championship much more satisfying, and we fell short with Web. So, in the end (or beginning) signing another free agent may have stood us in better stead for winning it all, and this was my original point. But I admit, the Web era was a golden one, just not successful if you are looking to win it all.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
That isn't PaPak's "first post." He's a confirmed Webber hater and a notorious agitator in chat. He'd posted on the board before the Crash and, well... quite frankly, let's just say that his absence since then was no great loss.
Heh, his post was wimpy, even if it was a statement. Thanks for the heads-up, I've been educated a little on trollism so I should have known better.

Nice to see your keystrokes again, I was asking about you at our gathering on Sunday and VF told me you were on a ship. Are you now on leave? And thank you for being there. :)

(How to really, really understate gratitude: "Thank You" with a smiley face)

albeitrue said:
Point well taken.

However, Golden era or no Kings are ringless and now must construct a new team to compete for the prize. Isn't that what competition is all about? Maybe you're thinking "a golden era is good enough for me", but I would have found a championship much more satisfying, and we fell short with Web. So, in the end (or beginning) signing another free agent may have stood us in better stead for winning it all, and this was my original point. But I admit, the Web era was a golden one, just not successful if you are looking to win it all.
That's ridiculous, man. :) These times can be seen as a stepping stone. It’s shown that this is a good organization and good town to play in. Without that it'd be hard to draw any FA, let alone the sought after ones.

I liked Webb and he brought alot to the team once upon a time, but this is a business after all and we couldnt just let him run the show while in decline, letting him get numbers at the expense of the team just wasnt in our interest. Its all been said before though - some hated him, some loved him so much they'd have had him play here as a starter until he was 45.. either way, what's done is done. GL webb.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
albeitrue said:
Point well taken.

People don;t always respect how rarified the air is that we have been breathing for the last 5 years. If you're not the Lakers, you're lucky to have one period like we have had here in 20 years. This franchise itself has not had such good times in half a century.

The Webber resigning was the touchstone -- it confirmed as for real, and gave us the green light for this golden stretch. Win lose or draw from here on out, that team, that era, will be remembered for a long time by basketabll fans around the world, ring or no ring. To trhe degree that we are legit now, that we are a contender and a leigitimate relocation address for free agents, that was the turning point. Not just a freakish burst of soon forgotten success, but an extended and memorable run as an elite team. Those are very rare and immensely valuable beasts.

Bricklayer said:
People don;t always respect how rarified the air is that we have been breathing for the last 5 years. If you're not the Lakers, you're lucky to have one period like we have had here in 20 years. This franchise itself has not had such good times in half a century.

The Webber resigning was the touchstone -- it confirmed as for real, and gave us the green light for this golden stretch. Win lose or draw from here on out, that team, that era, will be remembered for a long time by basketabll fans around the world, ring or no ring. To trhe degree that we are legit now, that we are a contender and a leigitimate relocation address for free agents, that was the turning point. Not just a freakish burst of soon forgotten success, but an extended and memorable run as an elite team. Those are very rare and immensely valuable beasts.
Brick, sometimes hatred causes lack of insight.

Web opened a ton of doors for Kings franchise, and it's true that because of him we can say with pride we had a great run. AND Kings will continue to attract, and be able to keep elite players (for now, anyways) because of Web's presence in the organization. I always try to show respect even when I don't agree with someone elses opinion, but I agree 100% with what you said.

Web deserves more respect than I have given. :eek:

P

PaPaK

Nice to see you too, Slim.

I just wanted to throw this in:

C Webb tonight F 36 4-18 0-0 2-2 1 7 8 3 4 0 5 1 10 = 76ers L

And I dont see myself as a "Webber hater and a notorious agitator..blah blah", Im just a fan who wants the best for his team.

albeitrue, im not a troll.