Projected rotation

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Clearly a lot of that was the game plan, and I think it might have been trying to see if the players could grow in getting to the line. It's still almost always going to lead to your best players being in that position anyway because defenses will eventually force you there. I stated a few ways above to make it much easier when that happens. If you also notice there was a bit more post up play towards the end of the year as well. It's hard to run sets like that and muck up the middle. Again, I can't say what Walton intends to do but Joeger never effectively utilized the weak side of the floor properly nor did he run and offense where the intent was to put his best players in a position to score or create sets shots for their teammates. The dish part of the drive and dish is key. Joerger wanted them attacking all the way to the rim and that's a major reason why one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the league by percentage were so low in attempts. Joerger ran an antiquated game plan of attacking middle in with players that are better situated away from the rim. From what it sounds like the Kings will shift more towards taking those open 3's and their signings will aid things in that regard so hopefully that happens.
Was it Joerger's game plan, or was it the immaturity of the team that wanted to take it on their own shoulders than trust in their teammates and follow the game plan? Do we know it was Joerger?

Was it Joerger's game plan, or was it the immaturity of the team that wanted to take it on their own shoulders than trust in their teammates and follow the game plan? Do we know it was Joerger?
It happened too much for it not to be laid at his feet regardless. Either he allowed to happen or it was the game plan, either way, it's the coaches to own. Getting to the line and a grind style of ball is his MO so it's likely easy to figure it was part of the plan.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It happened too much for it not to be laid at his feet regardless. Either he allowed to happen or it was the game plan, either way, it's the coaches to own. Getting to the line and a grind style of ball is his MO so it's likely easy to figure it was part of the plan.
That did seem to be the case. Much more so than driving the lane and finding open three point shooters.

I think the most interesting part of the rotation will be Harry Giles' role next season.

Barring injury I don't see how the starting lineup isn't Fox, Hield, Barnes, Bagley, and Dedmon.

Joseph, Bogdan, and Ariza will be the backups at PG, SG, and SF.

But how the coaches decide who gets minutes at the backup PF and C spot will be interesting. I think they want Giles to get minutes and I think they like his fit next to Bagley so my guess is that Giles is the backup C and Bjelica gets backup PF minutes. But I think Holmes will also impress with his energy, effort, rebounding, and value in the pick and roll. So I could see Bjeli being the guy who gets squeezed out.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

But how the coaches decide who gets minutes at the backup PF and C spot will be interesting. I think they want Giles to get minutes and I think they like his fit next to Bagley so my guess is that Giles is the backup C and Bjelica gets backup PF minutes. But I think Holmes will also impress with his energy, effort, rebounding, and value in the pick and roll. So I could see Bjeli being the guy who gets squeezed out.

With Cojo,Bogie,Ariza in the second unit, it may come down to matchups and what we need most
If other team has big beefy backup Bigs , then Maybe Giles and Holmes
If we need more 3 pt shooting and they have beef, then Bjelica and Holmes
If they have smaller bigs or stretch 4, then Bjelica and Giles

All three have their strengths and weaknesses.
Plus if there is any foul trouble,shooting slump,lack of effort,injuries, we have that 3rd backup big ready to go
I am sure the coach will work out what we need when we need it

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think the most interesting part of the rotation will be Harry Giles' role next season.

Barring injury I don't see how the starting lineup isn't Fox, Hield, Barnes, Bagley, and Dedmon.

Joseph, Bogdan, and Ariza will be the backups at PG, SG, and SF.

It's a good problem to have and we are far removed from the days of having a front line of Spencer Hawes/Mikki Moore/Sheldon Williams/Kenny Thomas's corpse. The thing is that Holmes and Bagley are pretty much guaranteed to miss a couple of games of the Gerald Wallace "tries so damn hard that he hurts himself" variety and Dedmon and Giles both have their own injury histories so there's bound to be enough playing time to go around so long as all of our big men aren't injured at the same time (in which case Ariza and Barnes are both capable of sliding over to take some time at the 4 anyways).

God I love having depth.

Don't forget they signed Dedmon, CoJo, Ariza and Holmes. All solid defenders.
Until the season starts I'm not going to count or discount that. It's basically another experimental season with the personnel and coaching changes.
They may be decent defenders, but how will the offense fare then.....will there be a drop-off in production - maybe. They need a net-gain - and even more uptempo pace may not facilitate better defense and the net-gain.

Until the season starts I'm not going to count or discount that. It's basically another experimental season with the personnel and coaching changes.
They may be decent defenders, but how will the offense fare then.....will there be a drop-off in production - maybe. They need a net-gain - and even more uptempo pace may not facilitate better defense and the net-gain.
Just another experimental season? Man, I just don’t understand you.

Giles was hurt down the stretch but he played his best basketball the 20 or so games before he got hurt.

I'm excited to see how we do with CoJo out there. If the Kings were in a competitive game and Fox got a breather, it was almost like ok how many points are they going to fall behind until Fox gets back in? You knew they had almost no shot at staying competitive unless he was out there. I think with CoJo it'll help ease some of those frustrations to where it feels like Fox can get a proper breather. Now we have 2 legit guys at each position that actually belong at the position they play. That gives you a lot of options. Walton can play guys out of position when the game calls for it, not because it's a necessity for lack of depth.
Who is CoJo? If it's Curtis Joseph, shouldn't is be "CuJo"?

Last edited:
Well now you're just moving goal posts. You said you feared the defense would suffer with an even more uptempo offense and I brought up that it shouldn't since we now have better defenders on the team.

Of course they need a net gain which is why there needs to be a balance. You aren't going to win many games with CoJo, any SG, Ariza, Holmes and Dedmon playing a lot of minutes as a unit together but you plug those guys here and there in with our talented younger players and you may hit on a nice balance where their offense isn't needed much but their work on defense helps immensely. It'll be up to Walton to figure out that side of things.

I was so scared of Cujo as a child. Now one of my favorite dogs is my buddy’s Saint Bernard. If you live long enough surprises happen. And I am hoping to be wildly surprised by the Kings’ defense this year - because last year it was putrid.

Well now you're just moving goal posts. You said you feared the defense would suffer with an even more uptempo offense and I brought up that it shouldn't since we now have better defenders on the team.

Of course they need a net gain which is why there needs to be a balance. You aren't going to win many games with CoJo, any SG, Ariza, Holmes and Dedmon playing a lot of minutes as a unit together but you plug those guys here and there in with our talented younger players and you may hit on a nice balance where their offense isn't needed much but their work on defense helps immensely. It'll be up to Walton to figure out that side of things.
I'm not moving goal-posts ;I'm bringing up the larger picture at hand. We can hope the new players mesh and fill gaps while keeping the offense going, but who knows - to just mention defensive upside, doesn't mean it'll translate or not. And yes, its on a newcoach who will be "up to figuring out that side of things", which is another unknown.

Well I also will be watching and see how the new players mesh.

Being realistic I have to believe one or more of them may not work out and if that’s the case I hope it’s one of the reserves and we can address the position come the trade deadline.

But saying the last part we more than likely will be seeking a upgrade someplace in the lineup at that time anyway.

The whole team is filled with wildcards! Maybe Buddy is close to his ceiling, but we’ve got 7-8 players with the capability of making huge jumps this season, or being major disappointments. I do think that Giles and Bagley are the most intriguing of the wildcards.