[Game] Preseason Kings @ Trailblazers, 10/11/21 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern (No Local TV)

Was trying to watch this game while watching the Giants as well. Game looked kinda sloppy. Blazers collecting former first round picks like they're the hottest Top Shot NFT. DSJ, Chriss, Skal (a few years ago), Giles (last year)...

Yep Fox looked good posting up with the added strength. Looks like he and Ramsey were in competition to see who could get to Bibby 2.0 fastest this offseason.

Mitchell's shot looked really good from outside. He may wind up being one of those weird players that can shoot with top efficiency from 3 but struggles to score from 2. Defense is always there but teams are going to pick him off on screens when guarding the best player so his teammates need to step up when that happens.

Really liking what TD brings off the bench. He's probably going to frustrate us on some nights and be a massive boost on others.

Not a fan of Metu personally. I think everything he does on the court is a complete roll of the dice. It's like he can't compute the difference in a low percentage decision and a high percentage decision.

Funny how you can have a smooth looking offense but lose most games. Or you can have a sputtering, inconsistent offense and yet win most games IF YOU’RE A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM.
Two disclaimers with what I am about to post. 1) It is pre-season. 2) The teams we have played have been missing some of their best players.

Also, the Kings have done what they are supposed to do and win these games, which is new for them considering they would beat Denver and then lose to Charlotte at home last year and in years past.

If the pre season is any indication ( maybe maybe not) but they are THIRD in preseason defensive rating. That is not a misprint. The Kings are THIRD in preseason defensive rating.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think it was the announcers. listening to them you would think the Blazers lead from start to finish and won by 15. "mitchell hits a 3, lets talk about how athletic Chirss is, OMG LOOK AT THAT JUMPER BY DENNIS SMITH."
Not to play the Rodney Dangerfield card, but in checking the game details on ESPN all three of the highlight videos were of the Blazers even though the Kings cruised to the win.

Two disclaimers with what I am about to post. 1) It is pre-season. 2) The teams we have played have been missing some of their best players.

Also, the Kings have done what they are supposed to do and win these games, which is new for them considering they would beat Denver and then lose to Charlotte at home last year and in years past.

If the pre season is any indication ( maybe maybe not) but they are THIRD in preseason defensive rating. That is not a misprint. The Kings are THIRD in preseason defensive rating.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defense/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1
At least 20th by the end of the season and we in the play-in baby

Ehhh, those are like 2 or even 3 of our starters and they have more vets and maybe even more talent. Kings doing this well under the circumstances is a good sign no matter what IMO
Come on man, let's be objective here. Their best players were Nurkic (who played 18 mins) and Simons (who while promising now is a career 8ppg scorer). You really gonna stand firm on them having more vets and more talent by virtue of Larry Nance Jr, DSJ, Chriss and Ppat who I didn't even know was still in the league? I agree that I'm glad the Kings won but can we not pretend like we were even remotely close to being as shorthanded as they were when we had Fox/Mitchell/Barnes/Holmes?

Here are the last season averages for those guys (mpg/ppg):
Nurkic 23.8/11.5
Simons 17.3/7.8
Larry Nance Jr 31.2/9.3
DSJ 18.3/6.7
Chriss 20/9.3 (using 2019 season)
PPat 15.3/5.2

Come on .. Fox alone scored as much as 3 of those guys put together. Mitchell is probably going to average more minutes than all those guys did with the exception of Nance.

Last edited:
Come on man, let's be objective here. Their best players were Nurkic (who played 18 mins) and Simons (who while promising now is a career 8ppg scorer). You really gonna stand firm on them having more vets and more talent by virtue of Larry Nance Jr, DSJ, Chriss and Ppat who I didn't even know was still in the league? I agree that I'm glad the Kings won but can we not pretend like we were even remotely close to being as shorthanded as they were when we had Fox/Mitchell/Barnes/Holmes?

Here are the last season averages for those guys (mpg/ppg):
Nurkic 23.8/11.5
Simons 17.3/7.8
Larry Nance Jr 31.2/9.3
DSJ 18.3/6.7
Chriss 20/9.3 (using 2019 season)
PPat 15.3/5.2

Come on .. Fox alone scored as much as 3 of those guys put together. Mitchell is probably going to average more minutes than all those guys did with the exception of Nance.
And we beat them easily while not playing all that way as we should. Soo ok?

i think it was the announcers. listening to them you would think the Blazers lead from start to finish and won by 15. "mitchell hits a 3, lets talk about how athletic Chirss is, OMG LOOK AT THAT JUMPER BY DENNIS SMITH."
The homerism was pretty blatant. After a while, I muted the sound.

And we beat them easily while not playing all that way as we should. Soo ok?
That's fine, I'm not arguing that we didn't beat them! We should have beaten them - they were super shorthanded, that's my point! Don't act (not you necessarily, but others who I was responding to) like they weren't super shorthanded.

The Kings are going to have to earn every bit of respect they get around the League.
They have been door mats for decades. They have had notoriously terrible defense.
It will take some time.
At times like this I think of Larry Bird.
Sometimes when his opponents were trash talking he would remain silent and just point at the scoreboard.