[Game] Preseason Game 3: Kings vs. Warriors, 12/15/2020, 7PM PST, 10PM EST

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I liked Bazemore. But he’s another guy I’m glad wasn’t retained. He’s in the Bogi/Bjeli camp where he’s fine but doesn’t move the needle on a bad team.
If we were a playoff team I would like him on the bench but honestly I am not even sure we got worse without him unless GRIII is his direct replacement.

Yea, Thornton was by far my least favorite Kings player in the last 15 years. GRIII plays just like him. Selfish, black hole.
One play that always stuck with me was in like 2011, we were down by like 10 or something one game with about a minute and a half remaining and we had clawed back into the game pretty decently. Thornton was shooting like 30% on the night. I think it was Beno that passed Thornton the ball with about 18 seconds or so left on the shot clock. Thornton dribbles at the top of the key for like 5 seconds and then somehow Cousins winds up completely wide open down low for no less than about 4 seconds and is screaming for the ball. Thornton looks up and had to have seen Cousins open, but then starts to try and dribble around the entire three point line trying to get open for his own three point shot. The double then comes because at this point there is now only like 5 seconds left on the shot clock. When the double comes Beno, then somehow becomes wide open as well on the other side of the three point line. Yet instead of throwing the long pass to Beno, Thornton instead takes a contested fadeaway three that completely bricks.

I remember watching this play and being stunned. The reason I remember it is because I was also coaching my younger brothers rec basketball team at the time and saved the video of that play to show the team. I told them if I ever saw any one of them play this selfishly in a game they would come out for the rest of the game and have to do extra suicide sprints next practice.