Pre-draft workout schedules (merged)

One reason I wouldn't mind Zeller is added depth. At some point, either/both JT and Cuz will have injuries. Nice to have a guy like Zeller to fill minutes in his first couple season, then hopefully he is starting material. I don't look at Zeller as a bad combo with Cuz as a deal breaker, I just like the depth he'd provide.

Zeller was a marked man at Indy, and really the only big they had. They would run four guards and Zeller a lot, so yeah, defenses did collapse on him. If he can move to PF in the NBA, he's going to have much more room to operate. I like him just for his hustle.

I could see Zeller being a top 3 guy from this draft in four years in a re-draft. Lots of question marks for the top guys regarding health; Len, Noel, and Bennet aren't even working out. Each has a legit red flag at this point.

Zeller's workout is today, not that an individual workout means anything.

Do you think Jent will have a strong opinion about Zeller either way? He had to do some serious game planning against Zeller the last two seasons at O St.

600x5192.jpg

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zeller's workout is today, not that an individual workout means anything.

Do you think Jent will have a strong opinion about Zeller either way? He had to do some serious game planning against Zeller the last two seasons at O St.
I'm sure he will, but I'm not certain that's a good thing. Jent said he planned to offer any information he could about prospects during the draft process but gameplanning for a very good college player is very different from knowing/understanding how that player's game will or won't translate on the NBA level.

I'm not sold on Zeller in part due to fit and in part because this year when teams were game planning for him he didn't take the step forward I would have liked to see.

I'm sure he will, but I'm not certain that's a good thing. Jent said he planned to offer any information he could about prospects during the draft process but gameplanning for a very good college player is very different from knowing/understanding how that player's game will or won't translate on the NBA level.

I'm not sold on Zeller in part due to fit and in part because this year when teams were game planning for him he didn't take the step forward I would have liked to see.
I'm not too worried about Jen'ts ability to understand a players transition to the NBA - he's been an NBA assistant a couple of times including even being an interim head coach. That's why I think he'll have a big say with Zeller within the Kings org.

All of these guys @7 have issues. I think Zeller is a pretty safe pick and intriguing as a 7 foot PF. Again, I like the depth and insurance policy he brings if Cousins gets hurt, or more likely ejected. ;)

Chris Bosh has a 9'1 standing reach (that's three inches longer than Zeller's,) and he had a better face up game than Zeller after only one year in college.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I know - let's just invest heavily in the futures market. Trade down and use the #7 (possibly with another asset thrown in) to grab a pair of 1st rounders. Grab Adetokunbo and either Schroeder or Nogueira and then Livio Jean-Charles in the second round and let them all play overseas for a season or two.

Give Malone a chance to see what he can do with the roster as it stands while letting some talent develop elsewhere. At the very least it means we'd probably not have to give the Cavs our first rounder next year.

I'm only half joking.
I'm not joking at all - I'm good with that scenario. I can tell you one thing - MCW or Zeller would be a wasted pick. I'd take your scenario any day over that. Sometimes you have to just go with the flow rather than fight upstream. It's highly doubtful we get an immediate impact player at #7, so why not a couple of project guys with high ceilings down lower in the draft?

While we're at it, we should send Houston one of our role players and a second rounder for Thomas Robinson and send him to the Developmental League next year. I still like Robinson; it's just he was sold as a guy that was ready to play when in fact everybody should have known he was a project.

Chris Bosh has a 9'1 standing reach (that's three inches longer than Zeller's,) and he had a better face up game than Zeller after only one year in college.
Can't debate the reach... physically speaking though that's the only advantage bosh had over Zeller coming into the league.

As far as a faceup game goes, Zeller just wasn't asked to do that. They wanted him in the paint. He outshot bosh from the stripe though which i think bodes well for his potential at developing a solid 18 footer in the NBA.

Its amazing what info is out there. Bosh does have a 3 inch higher reach. Bosh and Zeller shot pretty much the same percentage in the NCAA:

Bosh - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Bosh-1740/stats/

Zeller - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cody-Zeller-6241/

I think Bosh is a poor comparison. IMO Zeller is more of a poor mans Pau Gasol.

Paul Gasol - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pau-Gasol-2531/stats/

KB

Can't debate the reach... physically speaking though that's the only advantage bosh had over Zeller coming into the league.

As far as a faceup game goes, Zeller just wasn't asked to do that. They wanted him in the paint. He outshot bosh from the stripe though which i think bodes well for his potential at developing a solid 18 footer in the NBA.
It doesn't matter whether he wasn't asked to do it, it doesn't change that he didn't show it and we'd be gambling on whether he can develop his face-up skills to the level that will compensate for his t-rex arms.

Last edited:
Its amazing what info is out there. Bosh does have a 3 inch higher reach. Bosh and Zeller shot pretty much the same percentage in the NCAA:

Bosh - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chris-Bosh-1740/stats/

Zeller - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cody-Zeller-6241/

I think Bosh is a poor comparison. IMO Zeller is more of a poor mans Pau Gasol.

Paul Gasol - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pau-Gasol-2531/stats/

KB
I'd have a very hard time imagining Gasol being even 60% of what he is if he only had an 8'10 standing reach. He's 7'1 and very clearly has very long arms for his size, I'd be willing to bet he has a reach between 9'3 and 9'5.

I'd have a very hard time imagining Gasol being even 60% of what he is if he only had an 8'10 standing reach. He's 7'1 and very clearly has very long arms for his size, I'd be willing to bet he has a reach between 9'3 and 9'5.
You know I withdraw comparison of Zeller and Pau. Pau is much taller upon further review:)

xin_522080507163457824476_zpsbb070b20.jpg

KB

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Watched Zeller a lot this year. He really struggled when confronted with someone his own size. Example, in a tourney game the year before, Jeff Withey shut him down. Thats why I think moving to PF would be beneficial to him. They say he's showing a nice looking jumpshot with range. He never showed that at Indiana, but then Cousins never showed his shooting ability at Kentucky either. He's certainly a good athlete, and he's very skilled. Jent, who was an assistant coach in the NBA before Ohio St. should have a good idea of whether Zellers skills translate or not.

I'm personally not that high on him, but all my judgement comes with him at the center position. So I'll defer to the powers that be on this one.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watched Zeller a lot this year. He really struggled when confronted with someone his own size. Example, in a tourney game the year before, Jeff Withey shut him down. Thats why I think moving to PF would be beneficial to him. They say he's showing a nice looking jumpshot with range. He never showed that at Indiana, but then Cousins never showed his shooting ability at Kentucky either. He's certainly a good athlete, and he's very skilled. Jent, who was an assistant coach in the NBA before Ohio St. should have a good idea of whether Zellers skills translate or not.

I'm personally not that high on him, but all my judgement comes with him at the center position. So I'll defer to the powers that be on this one.
I think we're in agreement with Zeller. I like him as a prospect but not for the Kings. Even talk of improved shooting/range doesn't change my opinion. If anything it lowers it a bit in terms of a fit next to Cousins. We need to pair DMC with a rebounder/shotblocker who can hit the 15 footer regularly enough to keep defenses honest and Zeller just isn't that guy. Again, with this draft I'll give pretty much any prospect a chance, but Zeller and Muhammed are probably the top 10 guys I'm least high on at the moment.

One thing I always think back to when I hear Zeller's name is DMC absolutely dominating Cleveland in the paint. I'll pass on a stretch five thank you very much.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
One thing I always think back to when I hear Zeller's name is DMC absolutely dominating Cleveland in the paint. I'll pass on a stretch five thank you very much.
I seriously doubt we would draft Zeller with the intention of playing him as a stretch five. He'd be a PF on our team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I seriously doubt we would draft Zeller with the intention of playing him as a stretch five. He'd be a PF on our team.
He's not much of a shooter from a distance. There are very few people available at #7 that WOULDN'T bother me as a pick but Zeller is at least worth a trial and always will have value if we find a trade partner. He sure doesn't fit our needs but I at least don't think he would hurt us. I'm an Adams fan if we are going large.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Players coming in for a workout tomorrow are either 2nd round picks, or players that won't be drafted. I suspect that the Kings are looking for unsigned players to invite to play on their summer league team. They are:

C.J. Aiken: 6'9", 201 Lb, SF/PF. not a great scorer or rebounder, but he averaged 3.3 blocks a game at St. Joseph's.

Will Clyburn: 6'7", 219 Lb, SG. He averaged 14.9 PPG for Iowa St. He's a senior.

Robert Covington: 6'9", 215 Lb, PF/SF. He averaged 17.0 PPG for Tennessee St. Very good shooter that never shot lower than 38% from the three in his four years in college. He also averaged 8 boards a game. I like Covington. He's also a good defender that averaged 1.7 blocks a game.

Nurideen Lindsey: 6'3", 180 Lb, SG. Don't know much about him other than he played for Rider, and he only shot 28.1% from the three.

Lorenzo Brown: 6'5", 186 Lb, PG. I like Brown quite a bit. He averaged 7.2 assists a game at North Carolina St. Not a good outside shooter averaging only 26.3% from the three. Good rebounder for a PG averaging 4.3 boards a game, and 2 steals a game.

Deshaun Thomas: 6'7", 215 Lb, SF. Very streaky shooter who I really like two years ago. He hasn't improved that much in the last couple of years, and his defense is suspect. He shot 34.4% from the three. When he's hot, he can carry the team. Average rebounder at 5.9 RPG.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
New group coming in tomorrow:

Tony Snell is returning for his second visit. Tim Hardaway Jr., the son of Tim Hardaway of run TMC. Somehow he ended up being taller than dad at 6'6" Pretty good shooter, but a little streaky. Good defender and decent rebouder for a SG. Trent Lockett, another SG at 6'5". Pretty good rebounder, but just another streaky, to somewhat below average shooter. Rodney Williams, a very athletic SF at 6'7". Good defender and a good scorer as long as he doesn't shoot from long range. I'd take Snell over Williams any day. Last two are Ra'Shad James and Chase Tapley. Tapley is a 6'3" SG. Played for the Aztec's and is a very good shooter. His problem is that he's undersized for the position.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
New group coming in tomorrow:

Tony Snell is returning for his second visit. Tim Hardaway Jr., the son of Tim Hardaway of run TMC. Somehow he ended up being taller than dad at 6'6" Pretty good shooter, but a little streaky. Good defender and decent rebouder for a SG. Trent Lockett, another SG at 6'5". Pretty good rebounder, but just another streaky, to somewhat below average shooter. Rodney Williams, a very athletic SF at 6'7". Good defender and a good scorer as long as he doesn't shoot from long range. I'd take Snell over Williams any day. Last two are Ra'Shad James and Chase Tapley. Tapley is a 6'3" SG. Played for the Aztec's and is a very good shooter. His problem is that he's undersized for the position.
Looks like we're taking a long look at Snell, whose stock is right there at the top of the second. I like Hardaway, but we won't get him without a trade.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Players coming in for a workout tomorrow are either 2nd round picks, or players that won't be drafted. I suspect that the Kings are looking for unsigned players to invite to play on their summer league team. They are:

C.J. Aiken: 6'9", 201 Lb, SF/PF. not a great scorer or rebounder, but he averaged 3.3 blocks a game at St. Joseph's.

Will Clyburn: 6'7", 219 Lb, SG. He averaged 14.9 PPG for Iowa St. He's a senior.

Robert Covington: 6'9", 215 Lb, PF/SF. He averaged 17.0 PPG for Tennessee St. Very good shooter that never shot lower than 38% from the three in his four years in college. He also averaged 8 boards a game. I like Covington. He's also a good defender that averaged 1.7 blocks a game.

Nurideen Lindsey: 6'3", 180 Lb, SG. Don't know much about him other than he played for Rider, and he only shot 28.1% from the three.

Lorenzo Brown: 6'5", 186 Lb, PG. I like Brown quite a bit. He averaged 7.2 assists a game at North Carolina St. Not a good outside shooter averaging only 26.3% from the three. Good rebounder for a PG averaging 4.3 boards a game, and 2 steals a game.

Deshaun Thomas: 6'7", 215 Lb, SF. Very streaky shooter who I really like two years ago. He hasn't improved that much in the last couple of years, and his defense is suspect. He shot 34.4% from the three. When he's hot, he can carry the team. Average rebounder at 5.9 RPG.
We need to add Nurideen Lindsey to the Scouting Report schedule. Anybody can do a Nerlens Noel report. But Nurideen will separate the true scouts from the boy scouts.

Looks like we're taking a long look at Snell, whose stock is right there at the top of the second. I like Hardaway, but we won't get him without a trade.
I've seen Snell creeping up into the mid first in some mocks, so I don't know if he's still a second round guy. I know both would be reaches at 7, but I feel like Snell and Hardaway Jr are the two guys who fit nicely next to Tyreke if you think Tyreke can be a 1 (which I do). Both are not ball dominant and very good shooters with solid size to allow us size mismatches in the backcourt. Neither is a chucker, both will make the extra pass, and both have solid but not spectacular handles, but are not known as guys who can beat their man off the dribble (hint we have Tyreke and Cuz for that, we just need non greedy smart guys to space the floor and hit open jumpers)

I know either would be seen as a reach, but they're two of my favorites in the draft. Would love to pick up a mid rounder to snag one.

Tony Snell for the second time, huh? Makes some sense I suppose.

This team has a massive opening at the 3, and Snell is really the only guy who COULD fall to our second round pick that would be worth spending a pick on. This is a bad draft for small forwards. With that being said, we obviously have some interest or we wouldn't be bringing him back in at all.

Also, it's possible PDA has already spent a ton of time looking at Snell as he would have been right in the Denver Nuggets draft range.

Last edited:
From the new ESPN Insider mock-draft:
7. Sacramento Kings - Michael Carter-Williams
Analysis: The good news: The Kings finally have a general manager in Pete D'Alessandro. The bad news: He started on Monday, which is after the Kings had completed workouts with most of the prospects in their range. So, either the Kings drag players back to Sacramento, or new coach Mike Malone and owner Vivek Ranadive will be heavily influencing the call.

From what I can gather, UCLA forward Shabazz Muhammad had the best workout, though the Kings weren't particularly high on him prior to that. The team loved Carter-Williams before he came in, but weren't impressed with his workout. Sounds as if Trey Burke isn't particularly high on their list, either. Ditto for C.J. McCollum.

I'm not sure what to make of all that, but here's the best I can do: One of the biggest reasons the Kings hired D'Alessandro was because of his analytics work. Muhammad looks horrible in virtually every analytics model I've seen. Carter-Williams looks good in almost of all of them.