Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

So what do we do? I mean if we go after that 3rd option guy we will be left with scraps for bench. I mean those guys are on roster. You got another idea?
We should be looking to get Kuz with a combination of Barnes/Heurter/Duarte/Sasha + picks. Keon should be untouchable because he’s the perfect backcourt partner to Fox, and I don’t like the idea of giving up Mitchell since he greatly improved his off ball shooting.

We should be looking to get Kuz with a combination of Barnes/Heurter/Duarte/Sasha + picks. Keon should be untouchable because he’s the perfect backcourt partner to Fox, and I don’t like the idea of giving up Mitchell since he greatly improved his off ball shooting.
Are you wanting to sign Mitchell after this season? Otherwise to get any value, a trade needs to happen when he has shown some consistency. Not wait and then when he goes cold again, decide to try get something for him

I guess just go after Kuzma and build a bench full of defense and insert where needed when somebody is getting torched. Mitchell, Ellis, Duarte, Edwards, Len can all be defensive inserts. could this tarting lineup be anything on defense

fox
Monk
Murray
Kuzma
sabonis
The thought of Monk and Kuz out there is interesting and scary, lol. At times inconsistent, sometimes erratic. Exciting? Sure, but man, I don't think Brown could take it, haha. In the end that's still a team dependent on Fox and Domas and everyone else pretty much still works off the catch. The Kings need true triple threat options without relying on movement.

I hear you. And I love me some Davion. But he’s the Kings’ 4th guard. And Colby Jones might start making a case for more playing time. And the contract is up soon.

So - if you can get a starting 4 man for your 4th guard, you wish Davion luck. He’d be going to a place where he could get more minutes and earn his next contract.

So a few things when we talk about new additions to the team, monk is all well and good, but we saw numerous times throughout the season that even with Monk you still needed Sabonis or Fox for him to be effective whether it was to create or to score. What we hope to see is that Keegan can be the 4th scoring threat consistently and that the 4 can be played in any combination, but what is needed is a player that can reliably give you 18-22 points per game. As of last season, neither Monk or Keegan were that player. Hopefully things further develop this season, but in addition to getting longer on the perimeter we need a player that can go get yoy 18-22 per night, every night, on their own if necessary. I think that is why people are interested in Kuzma, Grant and to an extent (although i doubt any of us want any part of his contract) levine. I think an dark horse in that I would personally love more than the above would be markannen. And with the right moves, as i stated above, i think with a heavy price of 3 FRP (including this year's) he could be had and we could drop ourselves low enough salary wise to unlock the full NTP MLE (12M) and use the BAE (4.6M) to go get longer players too. This allows you to potentially keep HB for more trades or an expensive but solid bench player and still stay just below the luxury tax.

Alright so I’m now sort of leaning towards trading for Grant Williams. Hear me out…

A lot of my posts have been centered around finding that 3rd star to put next to Fox and Sabonis (or to be patient) in an effort to elevate us to a contender. Our hope is that Murray becomes that player but there is no guarantee that he reaches that ceiling. And if we were to trade for another high usage scorer, we very well may “block” Murray from even having a chance of reaching that potential.

So let’s get to the proposed trade…

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte
2025 SAC 2nd

for

Grant Williams
Cody Martin
Aleksej Pokusevski

The Hornets would do this to get off longer term contracts, add a couple 2nd round picks, and potentially use Huerter and Vezenkov as reclamation projects (as I could see both of them starting on the Hornets) to flip for more assets later. Their roster would be…

PG - Ball / Mann / Micic
SG - Huerter / Smith / Curry
SF - Miller / Duarte / McGowens
PF - Vezenkov / Bertans / Thor
C - Williams / Richards

As for us, trading for Williams would give us a player that…
  • Wouldn’t block Murray’s offensive growth (if he can actually reach that ceiling) since he’s a low usage player (15.9% last year).
  • Has length (6’9.75” wingspan & 8’8.5” standing reach) and strength (240.2 lbs, 5.4% body fat, & 20 reps on bench press), and he’s also pretty quick for his size (10.83 sec lane agility and 3.27 sec shuttle run).
  • Is a good 3PT shooter who is particularly good from the corners. He had a bit of a dip last season but his previous 3 seasons in BOS, he had a .397 3P% on 4.8 3PA (per 36 min) and he had a .445 Corner 3P% on 2.1 3PA (per 36 min).
  • Is not careless with the ball (1.6 AST to TO Ratio the last couple seasons)
  • Is a decent rebounder (around 5-6 rebounds per 36 min the last few seasons which would be an upgrade over Barnes)
  • Is a good defender who plays with that edge and toughness we often lack (“he’s got that dawg in him”). And he could be that defensive guy/voice to help hold our team accountable
  • Is young enough to grow with our core as he’s only 25 years old

Having said all of this, I’m not confident that Williams is the PF we need to ultimately become the contending team we want to be, but I think he upgrades this roster in the meantime since losing Huerter likely doesn’t impact us (Fox, Ellis, Monk, and Mitchell can take all of the guard minutes) and now we have a strong forward rotation of Murray, Williams, Barnes, and Lyles. I like the idea of starting Williams over Barnes for his defense and toughness (and considering our spacing should be just fine with him out there too). It also allows Barnes to dip back into his “bag” as he would take on a higher usage, bench scoring role and be an awesome 1-2 bench punch with Monk.

But not only does this trade improve our roster for next year, but it buys us time to see what Murray will become while maintaining our assets, and the other great thing about adding Williams is the flexibility we’d still have when building out this roster. His contract is dirt cheap ($13-$14 mil a year which is only 8-9% of the cap each year). This contract paired with his impact gives McNair various options:
  1. If Murray becomes that 3rd star we need, but we observe that Williams size & length is still not enough at PF next to Sabonis, his contract is small enough where he can come off the bench and it not be an issue
  2. If Murray does not become that 3rd star we need, we could include Murray in a trade for that 3rd star and have Williams slot in as the other starting forward to play the 3&D role

I haven’t come right out and said it yet, but you’ll notice this trade doesn’t include #13. Depending on how Murray looks this season, having #13 and all of our future 1sts available to trade next offseason (assuming the 2025 pick will convey to ATL) will come in handy if we do need to make a move for a 3rd star.

Lastly, this trade shaves off around $6 mil of our payroll allowing us to avoid the 1st apron this year (which I’m sure is a goal of McNair’s).

We’re left with a roster of…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Martin
PF - Williams / Lyles / Poku
C - Sabonis
Picks - #13
Clearly you spent a fair amount of time thinking about this move. Very well thought out. I’m sold! Still need another big behind Sabonis though. Perhap Kel’el Ware or Zack Edey will still be available.

Are you wanting to sign Mitchell after this season? Otherwise to get any value, a trade needs to happen when he has shown some consistency. Not wait and then when he goes cold again, decide to try get something for him
Absolutely, I've been a believer in Davion's development and he's a great back-up PG. Defense and a rapidly improving 3 point shooter. Plus, he's a good match with Monk in the backcourt since Monk wants to do the facilitating. However, what Colby Jones does this year will have a big impact on this because if he keeps improving he may take the 4th guard spot.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The Monk signing means any other major additions have to come via trade. When I look around the league at other team's contracts, it's tough to find a fit anywhere with a team who might want what we're offering that also has matchable contracts attached to players that they aren't in love with. I'm fully against adding another max contract player. Guys like LaVine and Ingram are just going to take shots away from the rest of the team without providing much value in other facets of the game (hence why they're on the trade block in the first place). Kyle Kuzma and Jerami Grant both strike me as me-first players who are going to get their numbers but aren't going to make the team markedly better.

At this point I think our ability to improve defensively is what will determine our playoff future so I'm only interested in adding players who elevate our defensive ceiling. We need a wing defender and a shot-blocker most of all. Priority # 3 is getting another guy who can create offense off the bench to share the load with Malik Monk. Ideally none of these guys actively makes our defense worse. Then there's also the issue of finding a team who might actually want a package of Huerter and Barnes. If we throw in Vezenkov we have a trade package of three guys who are all good bets to shoot 37-40% from three next season at the SG/SF/PF positions.

Atlanta is the one potential trade partner that comes to mind who checks every box. They're looking to make a quick re-set, they value outside shooting, their current roster is loaded with talent but the pieces don't fit well together. And then you have the one intangible which no other team has -- they've won with a Trae Young and Kevin Huerter backcourt before so he may have more value there than anywhere else in the league.

This is very much a pie in the sky scenario, but here's the best off-season plan I could come up with centered around a trade with Atlanta....

(1) Ron Holland falls to #13 and Monte picks him to be our starting SF of the future.
(2) Make the trade @pdxKingsFan proposed and send Davion Mitchell and #45 to the Suns for #22. Take the best defensive big available at #22. Let's say it's Yves Missi.
(3) Trade Kevin Huerter, Harrison Barnes, Sasha Vezenkov and 2 Future First Round picks (2027 and 2029) to Atlanta for Dejounte Murray and Onyeka Okongwu.
(4) Sign Stanley Johnson to a 2 year deal at the veteran's minimum as a backup SF/PF defender.

D. FOX | D. MURRAY (from Atlanta)
K. ELLIS | M. MONK | C. JONES
R. HOLLAND (Pick #13) | S. JOHNSON (F.A.)
K. MURRAY | T. LYLES
D. SABONIS | O. OKONGWU (from Atlanta) | Y. MISSI (Pick #22)

All of this works with the current CBA and keeps us below the first apron cutoff. Throwing those future picks in there to entice Atlanta makes this an all-in move but I think it's worth it to get Dejounte Murray (a one-time All Star and former 2nd Team All Defense selection) and Onyeka Okongwu (an elite individual defender in limited minutes for Atlanta a year ago who had a down season and is about to get pushed aside by Clingan or Sarr). These two guys will help our defense, give us phenomenal depth at the PG and SG positions, fit the age window of our current roster, and most significantly they're both already signed for the next 4 years (3 + a Player Option in Murray's case) on team friendly deals which are only going to look better as the salary cap continues to go up.

Obviously we don't know yet if Holland or Missi will be available for those picks or if Atlanta and Phoenix would be interested in either of these proposed trades. I guess that's not the point of this thread though. We have other threads to talk about what does happen. It's quite likely none of this will happen but this would be my ideal version of building a sustainable future from where we are now. I should also add that I don't think the Fox / Ellis / Holland / K. Murray / Sabonis starting lineup would be set in stone. Depending on match-ups Coach Brown could also start a big lineup with Keegan at the 3 and Okongwu or Lyles at the 4 or go small with DeJounte Murray at the 3 and Ron Holland coming off the bench. I like the roster balance better the way I outlined it above on the depth chart but the spacing could be rough early on if Ron Holland continues to struggle with his outside jumper.

The Monk signing means any other major additions have to come via trade. When I look around the league at other team's contracts, it's tough to find a fit anywhere with a team who might want what we're offering that also has matchable contracts attached to players that they aren't in love with. I'm fully against adding another max contract player. Guys like LaVine and Ingram are just going to take shots away from the rest of the team without providing much value in other facets of the game (hence why they're on the trade block in the first place). Kyle Kuzma and Jerami Grant both strike me as me-first players who are going to get their numbers but aren't going to make the team markedly better.

At this point I think our ability to improve defensively is what will determine our playoff future so I'm only interested in adding players who elevate our defensive ceiling. We need a wing defender and a shot-blocker most of all. Priority # 3 is getting another guy who can create offense off the bench to share the load with Malik Monk. Ideally none of these guys actively makes our defense worse. Then there's also the issue of finding a team who might actually want a package of Huerter and Barnes. If we throw in Vezenkov we have a trade package of three guys who are all good bets to shoot 37-40% from three next season at the SG/SF/PF positions.

Atlanta is the one potential trade partner that comes to mind who checks every box. They're looking to make a quick re-set, they value outside shooting, their current roster is loaded with talent but the pieces don't fit well together. And then you have the one intangible which no other team has -- they've won with a Trae Young and Kevin Huerter backcourt before so he may have more value there than anywhere else in the league.

This is very much a pie in the sky scenario, but here's the best off-season plan I could come up with centered around a trade with Atlanta....

(1) Ron Holland falls to #13 and Monte picks him to be our starting SF of the future.
(2) Make the trade @pdxKingsFan proposed and send Davion Mitchell and #45 to the Suns for #22. Take the best defensive big available at #22. Let's say it's Yves Missi.
(3) Trade Kevin Huerter, Harrison Barnes, Sasha Vezenkov and 2 Future First Round picks (2027 and 2029) to Atlanta for Dejounte Murray and Onyeka Okongwu.
(4) Sign Stanley Johnson to a 2 year deal at the veteran's minimum as a backup SF/PF defender.

D. FOX | D. MURRAY (from Atlanta)
K. ELLIS | M. MONK | C. JONES
R. HOLLAND (Pick #13) | S. JOHNSON (F.A.)
K. MURRAY | T. LYLES
D. SABONIS
| O. OKONGWU (from Atlanta) | Y. MISSI (Pick #22)

All of this works with the current CBA and keeps us below the first apron cutoff. Throwing those future picks in there to entice Atlanta makes this an all-in move but I think it's worth it to get Dejounte Murray (a one-time All Star and former 2nd Team All Defense selection) and Onyeka Okongwu (an elite individual defender in limited minutes for Atlanta a year ago who had a down season and is about to get pushed aside by Clingan or Sarr). These two guys will help our defense, give us phenomenal depth at the PG and SG positions, fit the age window of our current roster, and most significantly they're both already signed for the next 4 years (3 + a Player Option in Murray's case) on team friendly deals which are only going to look better as the salary cap continues to go up.

Obviously we don't know yet if Holland or Missi will be available for those picks or if Atlanta and Phoenix would be interested in either of these proposed trades. I guess that's not the point of this thread though. We have other threads to talk about what does happen. It's quite likely none of this will happen but this would be my ideal version of building a sustainable future from where we are now. I should also add that I don't think the Fox / Ellis / Holland / K. Murray / Sabonis starting lineup would be set in stone. Depending on match-ups Coach Brown could also start a big lineup with Keegan at the 3 and Okongwu or Lyles at the 4 or go small with DeJounte Murray at the 3 and Ron Holland coming off the bench. I like the roster balance better the way I outlined it above on the depth chart but the spacing could be rough early on if Ron Holland continues to struggle with his outside jumper.
Okongwu might get REAL REAL interesting if they do go with Clingan at 1. I don't think you'd need to go that huge with Murray included as well. I think you'd have to go Huerter or HB+13 and honestly probably another FRP to get it done.

What's your take on him being able to play the 4? Or is this trust in Domas to play the 4?

But how do we win-now upgrade them from Portis? Would they value Huerter's shooting over him?
Awhile back I proposed a 3 team deal with Portland, Sac and the Bucks that was Brogdan to the Bucks, 13, Pat and whatever matching salary we need to include to Portland and Porter coming to the Kings. We get size and toughness, Blazers get a first rounder and the Bucks get a secondary ball handler and shooting.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Awhile back I proposed a 3 team deal with Portland, Sac and the Bucks that was Brogdan to the Bucks, 13, Pat and whatever matching salary we need to include to Portland and Porter coming to the Kings. We get size and toughness, Blazers get a first rounder and the Bucks get a secondary ball handler and shooting.
Bucks can’t aggregate players thanks to being in the second apron

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Okongwu might get REAL REAL interesting if they do go with Clingan at 1. I don't think you'd need to go that huge with Murray included as well. I think you'd have to go Huerter or HB+13 and honestly probably another FRP to get it done.

What's your take on him being able to play the 4? Or is this trust in Domas to play the 4?
I'm expecting Atlanta to take Clingan #1 at this point. He's more of a proven commodity than Sarr or Risacher and I think the writing is already on the wall that they're stuck with Trae Young so they'd better build around him and that locks them into a re-tool timeline instead of a complete tear down youth movement.

I'm also presuming Atlanta wants plug and play talents like Huerter and Vezenkov instead of a bunch of picks -- but I threw in those two future picks (hopefully in the high 20s) mostly to help them save face for all the picks they traded to get Dejounte Murray in the first place. With Trae Young and Donovan Clingan in place as the building blocks, throwing a bunch of shooters on the floor around them Stan Van Gundy style is as good of a strategy as any?

I like us keeping the #13 pick in this year's draft and trading future picks instead since that allows us to get one last dip in the lotto pool and set our roster for the next 4 years or so. I guess if Atlanta really insisted on the #13 pick I might consider it but only after I saw who was available. If Ron Holland is there, that's a deal breaker. I really believe in that kid blossoming in the NBA and half the point of getting Dejounte and Onyeka is to compliment that Ron Holland draft pick.

My take from the beginning with Onyeka is that his ideal position is the 4 not the 5 -- he's just missing an outside jumper to complete the skillset. Defensively he can handle both spots and even switch onto wings some of the time and he's started taking more three point jumpers (69 attempts in just 55 games last season and he made 33%). His FT% is also trending up (63% > 73% > 78% > 79%) which is encouraging. Also with this lineup, he really only needs to play spot minutes at the 4 right away and could grow into that starting role alongside Domas if Ron Holland doesn't pan out or the league makes a shift back to taller lineups and allowing more aggressive defense.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

“Yes we’ll take your terrible contract but you’ll have to give us something to do it”
With the Monk signing there's almost no room to make a LaVine deal. We'd basically have to throw Duarte in the deal as well (no problem from this side) and probably offload Sasha on the cheap to have the elbow room to make the #13 and fill out our roster. It would definitely be a home-run swing...

So a few things when we talk about new additions to the team, monk is all well and good, but we saw numerous times throughout the season that even with Monk you still needed Sabonis or Fox for him to be effective whether it was to create or to score. What we hope to see is that Keegan can be the 4th scoring threat consistently and that the 4 can be played in any combination, but what is needed is a player that can reliably give you 18-22 points per game. As of last season, neither Monk or Keegan were that player. Hopefully things further develop this season, but in addition to getting longer on the perimeter we need a player that can go get yoy 18-22 per night, every night, on their own if necessary. I think that is why people are interested in Kuzma, Grant and to an extent (although i doubt any of us want any part of his contract) levine. I think an dark horse in that I would personally love more than the above would be markannen. And with the right moves, as i stated above, i think with a heavy price of 3 FRP (including this year's) he could be had and we could drop ourselves low enough salary wise to unlock the full NTP MLE (12M) and use the BAE (4.6M) to go get longer players too. This allows you to potentially keep HB for more trades or an expensive but solid bench player and still stay just below the luxury tax.
Paul George went from 12.1 to 17.4 ppg in year 2 to 3, then jumped to 22 in year 4. Kawhi went from 12.8 to 16.5 in years 3 to 4 before getting to 21 ppg. Tatum was 15ppg in year 2, then 23 in year 3...Not saying Keegan is gonna be any of those those guys, but I don't see it being impossible to increase 3-7 ppg to get to this 18-22 threshold of being a top 3 or 4 scorer on this team while still being the primary defender. It's just a few more shots a game and he's obviously shown flashes.

I get the interest, in getting another guy like Kuz that can bring that, but I'd rather push Keegan to step up in the third role early in the season and let Kuz be the 4th option and see if Keegan can hit those higher expectations.

With the Monk signing there's almost no room to make a LaVine deal. We'd basically have to throw Duarte in the deal as well (no problem from this side) and probably offload Sasha on the cheap to have the elbow room to make the #13 and fill out our roster. It would definitely be a home-run swing...
I think with where Monte sits now, after basically clearly being willing to blow his cap up with the Monk quick sign and no salary dumps as of yet, I think he's only looking for the home run swing.

Paul George went from 12.1 to 17.4 ppg in year 2 to 3, then jumped to 22 in year 4. Kawhi went from 12.8 to 16.5 in years 3 to 4 before getting to 21 ppg. Tatum was 15ppg in year 2, then 23 in year 3...Not saying Keegan is gonna be any of those those guys, but I don't see it being impossible to increase 3-7 ppg to get to this 18-22 threshold of being a top 3 or 4 scorer on this team while still being the primary defender. It's just a few more shots a game and he's obviously shown flashes.

I get the interest, in getting another guy like Kuz that can bring that, but I'd rather push Keegan to step up in the third role early in the season and let Kuz be the 4th option and see if Keegan can hit those higher expectations.
Production wise he can get there, the question is whether or not he'll ever have the on ball skills those guys had pretty much from day 1.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude