Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I really don't think Isaac is worth 2 first round picks, but maybe to the right team? It's like with DFS, truth and fan appreciation sometimes doesn't equal out. Other than that, it does seem realistic unless yeah as @Capt. Factorial said, the Bulls aren't just dumping LaVine. Although, I personally think a LaVine for Barnes/Huerter deal brings quite a bit of balance to both squads. Sending Sasha and Mitchell instead of Huerter probably isn't much off value wise and the Bulls love those guards that can D up.
The Isaac part value really is a pick swap this year #13 for #18 and a pick from Chicago that possible end being a 2nd round pick because of the protections and Portland situation.

The Isaac part value really is a pick swap this year #13 for #18 and a pick from Chicago that possible end being a 2nd round pick because of the protections and Portland situation.
If Carter is off board by 13 then im good with your 13 for 18 pick swap. There are several players that make more sense in that range like da Silva , Edey, and Tyson.
My hope is we do maintain a first round pick, too many of the FA names being thrown around are ether too old or have injury issues. Isacc imo is an exception, same draft class as Fox and could be an ideal fit.

What do you think about this trade with the Nets? I know some want a big splash move this off-season but I think that it would make us a better team now and in the future.

KINGS
Dorian Finney-Smith
Noah Clowney
Dennis Schroder

NETS
Harrison Barnes
Davion Mitchell
Sasha Vezenkov

Why for the Kings?

First we get a 3&D starter PF in Finney-Smith for the next season or two. Schroder can cover the Monk's offensive 6th man roll if he finally leaves. But the most important incoming part for me is that we also aquire Clowney as a promising sophomore who fit perfectly the theorical profile we need to play alongside Sabonis. He show flashes in his first year and seems to have a good potential to work with for the near future. I don't think that there is another prospect in our draft range with the qualities and upside he has, maybe Tyler Smith but he is worse at defense. He is still 19 and already has one year of experience adapting to the NBA.

Why for the Nets?

They seem to be near to begin a rebuild process. They don't have a pick in this year draft so we give them a lottery one and a second and also Davion who can start for them and who can be a good pair with a scorer SG like Cam Thomas. Barnes could be a good veteran presence in the first years of a rebuilding culture. And Sasha could mix well with a center like Claxton or Sharpe. And they have Jordi who already know them.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Carter is off board by 13 then im good with your 13 for 18 pick swap. There are several players that make more sense in that range like da Silva , Edey, and Tyson.
My hope is we do maintain a first round pick, too many of the FA names being thrown around are ether too old or have injury issues. Isacc imo is an exception, same draft class as Fox and could be an ideal fit.
IMG_4786.jpeg

What do you think about this trade with the Nets? I know some want a big splash move this off-season but I think that it would make us a better team now and in the future.

KINGS
Dorian Finney-Smith
Noah Clowney
Dennis Schroder

NETS
Harrison Barnes
Davion Mitchell
Sasha Vezenkov

Why for the Kings?

First we get a 3&D starter PF in Finney-Smith for the next season or two. Schroder can cover the Monk's offensive 6th man roll if he finally leaves. But the most important incoming part for me is that we also aquire Clowney as a promising sophomore prospect who fit perfectly the theorical profile we need to play alongside Sabonis. He show flashes in his first year and seems to have a good potential to work with for the near future. I don't think that there is another prospect in our draft range with the qualities and upside he has, maybe Tyler Smith but he is worse at defense. He is still 19 and already has one year of experience adapting to the NBA.

Why for the Nets?

They seem to be near to begin a rebuild process. They don't have a pick in this year draft so we give them a lottery one and a second and also Davion who can start for them and who can be a good pair with a scorer SG like Cam Thomas. Barnes could be a good veteran presence in the first years of a rebuilding culture. And Sasha could mix well with a center like Claxton or Sharpe. And they have Jordi who already know them.
Interesting, recon that would make us better. I was thinking Clowney might be a good target last year but he went just before our pick. I have not payed attention to him since then but you make a good argument for him.

I heard on DLo and KC with Matt George that Wizards Locked On guy thinks Wizards would jump at the following trade:
Kings Give: Davion/Lyles/Duarte/#13 (i would try for sasha instead of lyles)
Kings Get: Kyle Kuzma (yes, I know many of us dont like the dude's personality, but I think production wise, and lack of legal issues wise, we can stomach his pink skirts)
Why: Gives you a new starting 4 that offensively fits very well next to Sabonis and has the TOOLS to be a good defender both on the perimeter and on the weak side next to Sabonis, rebounds well and is on a team friendly deal. Doesnt NEED to carry the load anymore offensively (BUT definitely can carry you on multiple nights), so more could be demanded defensively, and mike brown is the coach that could be the one to bring that out of him. Allows you to either move HB to the bench (making a deep ass bench) or in a future trade.

Wiz Give: KK
Wiz Get: Davion/Lyles/Duarte/#13
Why: Gives the Wizards a real PG who can distribute and defend and as of the end of the regular season, can hit you a few 3s. Can be your point of attack guy and you control his future for the next few years on a relatively team friendly deal that happens to also be expiring money if you dont like the outcome. Gives you 2 lottery picks this year. If you dont keep any of the 3 players sacramento gives, $20M comes off there books. If they just get to the floor (127M this coming season and keep all those new pieces they signed for 2025, they are looking at a 2025/2026 salary of $47M leaving them $91-97M in cap space (Sasha vs Lyles) in 2025/2026 season, with all there picks, Banchero and Wendel Carter up for renewal in 2026/2027.

How many of you would do this? I think I would jump on it given you keep HB and KVon in this deal. Would try to sling Sasha to them instead of Lyles,, but I think I would pull that trigger all day either way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then IF Malik resigns with the Kings, i try to swing a Huerter for Jonathan Isaac (maybe get a 2nd or 2 from Orlando as well), but would do it straight up as well. Still have MLE to offer, but may only be tax payer MLE ($5.1M/yr). Would chase Kelly oubre/Royce Oneal/Derrick Jones Jr/Taurean Prince/Sam Hauser/Naji Marshall/Caleb Martin/Isaac Okoro

Fox/Keon
Malik/Keon/FA from MLE/Colby Jones
Murray/HB/FA from MLE
Kuzma/Isaac/(Lyles or Sasha, whoever wasnt involved in above trade)
Sabonis/(Len/another center).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR

If Malik leaves, would try to swing HB and Huerter with future firsts (2026/2028) for Jermi Grant along with 1-2 or even maybe 3 FA players from above as Sac wont be a taxpayer at that point ($12.9M to spend) AND the Bi-annual exception (4.6M)

Fox/Keon
Grant/Keon/FA (MLE/BAE)/Colby
Murray/FA (MLE/BAE)
Kuzma/(Lyle/Sasha)/FA (MLE/BAE)
Sabonis/(Len or other vet min center)

This team is obviously less deep on its face, BUT extremely top heavy and are VERY long on the perimeter and ALL are capable scorers with 3 strong perimeter defenders AND Keon. BUT I think you could potentially get 2 or 3 of the players above. I could see Oubre/Royce Oneal and another player for the 2 exceptions, or 3 of some of the lower level guys (like Derrick Jones, Prince and Marshall) which makes you very long with good/willing perimeter defenders and shooting on the bench to go with any of your starters AND Keon. Is actually much deeper than it looks.

Last edited:
Also, if Monk decides to leave I would target Tyus Jones. Oubre or Nwora would be solid pickups too.

So far my targets are:

Re-sign Malik
Tyus Jones
Dario Saric
Mo Wagner
Kelly Oubre Jr.
Jordan Nwora

Last edited:
Also, if Monk decides to leave I would target Tyus Jones. Oubre or Nwora would be solid pickups too.

So far my targets are:

Re-sign Malik
Tyus Jones
Dario Saric
Mo Wagner
Kelly Oubre Jr.
Jordan Nwora
If Monk leaves, I’d be calling up the Clippers to see what they’d want for Bones Hyland.

I think he’s due for a breakout season if he’s given the opportunity and I think that 6th man role would be perfect for him. He’s also much bigger and longer than Monk which makes finding minutes for Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Hyland easier.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Monk leaves, I’d be calling up the Clippers to see what they’d want for Bones Hyland.

I think he’s due for a breakout season if he’s given the opportunity and I think that 6th man role would be perfect for him. He’s also much bigger and longer with Monk which makes finding minutes for Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Hyland easier.
Not a bad backup plan. You're basically gambling that Hyland can get dramatically more efficient as a scorer/shooter, but he would actually bring a lot of the playmaking that the national media tends to completely overlook when it comes to Monk and what he means for the Kings.

I think he’s due for a breakout season if he’s given the opportunity and I think that 6th man role would be perfect for him. He’s also much bigger and longer with Monk which makes finding minutes for Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Hyland easier.
I would much rather see them go after Tyus Jones. He is a proven backup guard who plays defense and shoots well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I think he’s due for a breakout season if he’s given the opportunity and I think that 6th man role would be perfect for him. He’s also much bigger and longer than Monk which makes finding minutes for Fox, Ellis, Mitchell, and Hyland easier.
Also has experience in our offense from his time in Denver

My take might just be go all-in our young guys. Davion/Keon/Colby and let them step up into that role. Or if we end up with a guard like Carter in the draft, just full commit to the stud defender types around Fox. Spend your resources upgrading the HB slot and bet on big internal growth from where most of our developmental prospects are.

Trying to strike gold twice with a Monk archetype seems a bit sketchy to me. Very few have been able to claw their way out of the "chucker" bias like he has over the last 3 years. And I think Huerter might be a guy you can tap to fill that role, if he's not dealt elsewhere. He's just flat out better in all facets than Bones.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My take might just be go all-in our young guys. Davion/Keon/Colby and let them step up into that role. Or if we end up with a guard like Carter in the draft, just full commit to the stud defender types around Fox. Spend your resources upgrading the HB slot and bet on big internal growth from where most of our developmental prospects are.

Trying to strike gold twice with a Monk archetype seems a bit sketchy to me. Very few have been able to claw their way out of the "chucker" bias like he has over the last 3 years.
Agreed. I've flagged previously that it seems like a really lazy narrative for national writers to say, "the Kings will likely lose Malik Monk so they should draft Rob Dillingham". That makes zero sense.

If you lose Monk you pivot and change the construction of your roster. You don't change your draft strategy to try and land an ersatz Monk. That's how bad teams operate.

On the other hand, I think if Monte is confident about re-signing Monk, then you can look at moving Davion - maybe to the Suns for pick #22.

Either way, the goal is never to patch specific holes unless you're close to a championship contender as it is. The goal is always to make systemic improvements.

Trying to strike gold twice with a Monk archetype seems a bit sketchy to me. Very few have been able to claw their way out of the "chucker" bias like he has over the last 3 years. And I think Huerter might be a guy you can tap to fill that role, if he's not dealt elsewhere. He's just flat out better in all facets than Bones.
Especially in this draft. Obviously the Kings can't replicate Monks energy even if a player has the same skills but I keep seeing mocks with people putting McCain there as a "Monk replacement". They in a sense would fill similar roles as shooters but the rest of it, nothing alike. If the Kings want a Monk replacement in the draft, look towards Kentucky, they recruit and build combo G's every year almost. Not a fan of adding another G for the reasons you state. If Colby can go, let him go. Soften up the cap for 25 and make a move.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially in this draft. Obviously the Kings can't replicate Monks energy even if a player has the same skills but I keep seeing mocks with people putting McCain there as a "Monk replacement". They in a sense would fill similar roles as shooters but the rest of it, nothing alike. If the Kings want a Monk replacement in the draft, look towards Kentucky, they recruit and build combo G's every year almost.
I keep seeing McCain or Dillingham (who is a Kentucky guy). Neither one is Malik Monk. For that matter, rookie Malik Monk was nowhere near the Malik Monk of the last two years either. In any draft, but especially in THIS draft, you take the guy you think has the most upside, not try to replace a specific key player with a rookie that has some superficial similarities.

Agreed. I've flagged previously that it seems like a really lazy narrative for national writers to say, "the Kings will likely lose Malik Monk so they should draft Rob Dillingham". That makes zero sense.

If you lose Monk you pivot and change the construction of your roster. You don't change your draft strategy to try and land an ersatz Monk. That's how bad teams operate.

On the other hand, I think if Monte is confident about re-signing Monk, then you can look at moving Davion - maybe to the Suns for pick #22.

Either way, the goal is never to patch specific holes unless you're close to a championship contender as it is. The goal is always to make systemic improvements.
My position this off-season is you have 4 key components heading into next year

Fox
Keon
Keegan
Domas

Maybe it's early to include Keon in this list, but what he showed to close the season, on both sides of the ball really, is something you just head into next season banking on continuing. I don't see why his defense would somehow get worse next year and he was the main catalyst this season for our defensive growth as a team.

And I think Keegan's spot is probably the 3 instead of the 4. You want him defending out on the perimeter and guarding the better wings on the other team. That's become one of his better strengths and he's just really flipped the "small ball 4" narrative he had coming out of school to just being better out on the perimeter.

Davion isn't untradeable, but I think if he's not dealt, then he's pretty securely locked in a back-up guard slot. He was just exactly what we wanted him to be for that final 25 games of the season and would love to see if he could continue to develop and grow onto that close to the year. So not core, but would secure a rotation slot if not dealt.

Huerter and HB are the primary trade pieces this off-season. I think with Keegan and Monk's emergence, they just don't bring enough else on the floor to justify their minutes. Now what might be interesting is if we DON'T resign Monk, then their offense all of a sudden becomes very important again. I've said for the past year that I think HB is still a damn valuable player, but he's just not a starter anymore. He's a 22-25 MPG guy off the bench that is able to be a focal point of the 2nd unit offense and torch other benches. It's time for him to transition to the Iggy role at this point in his career.

Huerter's role got slashed more than anyone's this season. He struggled, but he went from the 3rd option on the team, to the clear 5th starter and just got iced out because Monk was better than him this year. But if Monk doesn't come back, I think he can be that 6th man 2/3 flex that still really works well playing off Domas. But he's also our best trade chip this off-season, unfortunately, a year late after his career season last year.

Lyles was fine. He is what he is: a quality 7th/8th man that's going to spike for some games and be inconsistent others. Good player, but not someone to consider core.

Sasha is someone I would have loved to see another year, but looks like this relationship is done. Expect him to be dealt or us to buy him out.

Len same deal as Lyles: Quality 10th man type, great back-up big that can give you 10-12 good minutes a night. Would not be surprised to see him back again next year.

So that puts:
Huerter
HB
Davion
Lyles
Sasha

as your main trade chips to upgrade the 4 slot and possibly find a replacement for Monk if he leaves. It's not a dire situation, yet, but there's a lot of work to be done to clean this up.

I keep seeing McCain or Dillingham (who is a Kentucky guy). Neither one is Malik Monk. For that matter, rookie Malik Monk was nowhere near the Malik Monk of the last two years either. In any draft, but especially in THIS draft, you take the guy you think has the most upside, not try to replace a specific key player with a rookie that has some superficial similarities.
I agree. I don't think Monte will be doing that anyway. Now, if he thinks they are the BPA, I would potentially disagree depending on who is left on the board and really don't like their odds short term of making a dent because the Kings guard spot is pretty loaded even if Monk does bail.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Neither one is Malik Monk. For that matter, rookie Malik Monk was nowhere near the Malik Monk of the last two years either.
Laker Malik wasn't even Kings Malik, or else we'd never have been able to sign him. I imagine if Monte knew how good Monk would be he'd have paid an extra million or two and put a third year on that contract to get Bird rights and everyone would be happy.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My position this off-season is you have 4 key components heading into next year

Fox
Keon
Keegan
Domas

Maybe it's early to include Keon in this list, but what he showed to close the season, on both sides of the ball really, is something you just head into next season banking on continuing. I don't see why his defense would somehow get worse next year and he was the main catalyst this season for our defensive growth as a team.

And I think Keegan's spot is probably the 3 instead of the 4. You want him defending out on the perimeter and guarding the better wings on the other team. That's become one of his better strengths and he's just really flipped the "small ball 4" narrative he had coming out of school to just being better out on the perimeter.

Davion isn't untradeable, but I think if he's not dealt, then he's pretty securely locked in a back-up guard slot. He was just exactly what we wanted him to be for that final 25 games of the season and would love to see if he could continue to develop and grow onto that close to the year. So not core, but would secure a rotation slot if not dealt.

Huerter and HB are the primary trade pieces this off-season. I think with Keegan and Monk's emergence, they just don't bring enough else on the floor to justify their minutes. Now what might be interesting is if we DON'T resign Monk, then their offense all of a sudden becomes very important again. I've said for the past year that I think HB is still a damn valuable player, but he's just not a starter anymore. He's a 22-25 MPG guy off the bench that is able to be a focal point of the 2nd unit offense and torch other benches. It's time for him to transition to the Iggy role at this point in his career.

Huerter's role got slashed more than anyone's this season. He struggled, but he went from the 3rd option on the team, to the clear 5th starter and just got iced out because Monk was better than him this year. But if Monk doesn't come back, I think he can be that 6th man 2/3 flex that still really works well playing off Domas. But he's also our best trade chip this off-season, unfortunately, a year late after his career season last year.

Lyles was fine. He is what he is: a quality 7th/8th man that's going to spike for some games and be inconsistent others. Good player, but not someone to consider core.

Sasha is someone I would have loved to see another year, but looks like this relationship is done. Expect him to be dealt or us to buy him out.

Len same deal as Lyles: Quality 10th man type, great back-up big that can give you 10-12 good minutes a night. Would not be surprised to see him back again next year.

So that puts:
Huerter
HB
Davion
Lyles
Sasha

as your main trade chips to upgrade the 4 slot and possibly find a replacement for Monk if he leaves. It's not a dire situation, yet, but there's a lot of work to be done to clean this up.
I see things pretty similarly. I think I'm still higher on Lyles than you even after a down season, but we're not far off in how we view things.

If Monk departs and there isn't a great deal that includes Huerter, then I'm okay with him getting backup 2/3 minutes as a sixth man. He doesn't have Monk's self creation, but he's a nice secondary playmaker who can also get hot from outside. Not the role I'm sure he wants, but that's where we are. The Kings need what Keon brings to the starting lineup.

We'll see on Vezenkov. He may want out, but he has essentially no leverage. It's also important to clarify if the Kings told him he wouldn't have a role going forward (as initially reported) or if Sasha doesn't see a role for himself. I'm guessing the latter, but it's an important distinction. You don't give away an asset just because a guy is upset about minutes.

I'm a Davion fan and I think every time he gets extended and/or consistent minutes he looks good. But he's also on the last year of his rookie deal. Monte needs to decide whether he's a guy worth re-signing or who should be dealt this off-season. Because his value is less at the deadline and his value is zero if he the Kings don't re-sign him next summer.

I wouldn't hate HB as a 2nd unit guy, but I think Lyles does that job just about as well (and in some ways - rebounding, some rim protection - better) so I'd rather see Barnes traded than moved to a backup role. He and K'von as reserves is a decent amount of cap potentially tied up in bench guys.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We'll see on Vezenkov. He may want out, but he has essentially no leverage. It's also important to clarify if the Kings told him he wouldn't have a role going forward (as initially reported) or if Sasha doesn't see a role for himself. I'm guessing the latter, but it's an important distinction. You don't give away an asset just because a guy is upset about minutes.
I see him thrown in more and more on Kuzma deals - obviously don't know if there is smoke there is fire we've had more than a few false starts with Kuzma and no idea if he's still a guy Monte or Brown want. But I can see the Kings letting Sasha know he's on the trade market as a courtesy (thus the initial report) and him threatening to go back to Europe if he thinks Washington is a likely landing spot. I would think he'd be competitive enough to still want to crack the rotation and prove his NBA worth but probably not on a hopeless team like the Wizards where he would get no guarantee of anything except losing 60 games next season.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see him thrown in more and more on Kuzma deals - obviously don't know if there is smoke there is fire we've had more than a few false starts with Kuzma and no idea if he's still a guy Monte or Brown want. But I can see the Kings letting Sasha know he's on the trade market as a courtesy (thus the initial report) and him threatening to go back to Europe if he thinks Washington is a likely landing spot. I would think he'd be competitive enough to still want to crack the rotation and prove his NBA worth but probably not on a hopeless team like the Wizards where he would get no guarantee of anything except losing 60 games next season.
Sasha can threaten to go back to Europe all he wants - he's under contract to the Kings, or whoever the Kings trade him to.

Obviously you don't want a disgruntled player, but Vezenkov doesn't have the leverage here.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Sasha can threaten to go back to Europe all he wants - he's under contract to the Kings, or whoever the Kings trade him to.

Obviously you don't want a disgruntled player, but Vezenkov doesn't have the leverage here.
He has no leverage but it might nuke a trade if he said he wouldn't report.

It kind of also depends what a team would hope to maybe get out of Sasha. There was some hope that even if he didn't pan out for the Kings that he now had increased value just by converting draft rights to an actual contract. While he seems to have crushed that, there is potentially salary value that is a trade asset, especially if a team is content to waive him or meet a salary/roster minimum, or thinks that they could get something back if the player quits on his own active contract. I'm still honestly totally unsure of what the salary cap impact of Sasha flat out quitting and not being paid would be. I honestly think the NBAPA would never allow this because it is against everything they stand for.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, Kuzma would really be the pits. Not only would it cost 13, but we'd be trading better players currently on our team to get him.

Deni Avdija on the other hand? I'm sending 13 and whatever else they want outside our top 4.
I still don't get the Kuzma infatuation. He's had essentially one season as a role player on the Lakers where he contributed to winning basketball. I keep hearing that the advanced metrics love him, but most advanced stats I've seen paint the same picture as what I get watching him. Okay scorer, pretty decent rebounder, okay defensively when he wants to be (which isn't all that often), 33% shooter on higher volume than you'd like, and overall a guy who looks content to put up numbers on a bad team.

I still don't get the Kuzma infatuation. He's had essentially one season as a role player on the Lakers where he contributed to winning basketball. I keep hearing that the advanced metrics love him, but most advanced stats I've seen paint the same picture as what I get watching him. Okay scorer, pretty decent rebounder, okay defensively when he wants to be (which isn't all that often), 33% shooter on higher volume than you'd like, and overall a guy who looks content to put up numbers on a bad team.
loved* him might be the operative word. I do remember that after his Lakers season as the 6th man, he was popping on a lot of the impact metrics and was a huge contributor to why they won that year. But again, we keep trying to wish-cast guys like him and Grant on who they were 4-5 years ago now.

Nuggets Grant would be perfect for this team at the 4. I don't think he's anywhere close to that guy anymore and we'd have to pay him 30+mil to gamble if he could find that form again. Same with Kuz.