Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
How do you free up 40m in contracts to take on Simmons?

And then how do you free up even more so you can get someone actually playable back to replace what you just lost?

Our best bet is to find the next Monk. Someone undervalued that can help us with a contract that won't force us to ship out depth (or multiple starters since almost any deal to get $25m and up means Barnes and Huerter or Davion). And hopefully we can get that person here with Bird rights so we aren't faced with the prospect of losing them for nothing.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
For those that want defense Ben Simmons can probably be had. I’d do a package of Barnes and Huerter for him.
I am just trying to bring up players we actually have a chance at. The players that have already excelled at what we need won’t be available. People are fine to dream, but let’s bring realistic targets.
That's fine and all, but I wouldn't trade either one of those two for Ben Simmons, much less both. And Ben's contract would have to be a league minimum for me to even consider it. No thanks.

That's fine and all, but I wouldn't trade either one of those two for Ben Simmons, much less both. And Ben's contract would have to be a league minimum for me to even consider it. No thanks.
Tell why would a team give up Mikel bridges and Ingram. I want Wemby I’d trade Lawson for him. Yes that’s extreme but no one has said why the other teams would accept it. At least a valid one.

The only way I'd even remotely BEGIN to entertain the idea of Ben Simmons coming to Sacramento in a trade is if we send nothing more than "cash considerations" out of Sacramento. If bringing Ben Simmons to Sacramento involves sending any draft picks (even if those picks are 2nd rounders) or players out of Sacramento, I'm running as far away from that "offer" as I possibly can.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Tell why would a team give up Mikel bridges and Ingram. I want Wemby I’d trade Lawson for him. Yes that’s extreme but no one has said why the other teams would accept it. At least a valid one.
Don't ask me, there's others here that have much more basketball and trade/cap knowledge than I - I don't propose trades, etc.

But I want no part of Ben Simmons. Not at this point. Not until he proves he can actually play. This would be like the Kings Ralph Sampson trade all over again.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Mikal Bridges is a player I think would cost us far more than he would return (ie, probably Keegan and multiple picks for a player that Keegan could project to be, who costs a lot more, and would be an unrestricted free agent whereas we control Keegan for at least 5 more years)

Ingram is apparently the odd man out in New Orleans who also have young players ready to take his spot and only has one year left on his contract. I don't think he is a good fit for us but apparently NOP are dangling him to see what they can get. He probably won't be cheap and I don't think he's any more than a "big name" people are getting excited because they are rumored to be available.

I'll say once again: We should be identifying targets we don't have to bid against multiple teams to land.

Ben Simmons who only played 15 games this season before being shut down yet again with back issues?

And even on the off chance that he gets healthy and returns to form, it means adding another non-shooter to the lineup as well as a guy who is only useful with the ball in his hands, which means taking it out of Fox and Domas' hands.
If the Kings can take a gamble and clear off those two deals, even in a worst case the Kings now have MAJOR options in 2025 for free agency.

Don't ask me, there's others here that have much more basketball and trade/cap knowledge than I - I don't propose trades, etc.

But I want no part of Ben Simmons. Not at this point. Not until he proves he can actually play. This would be like the Kings Ralph Sampson trade all over again.
Here's the thing about Ben, this is a contract year. If he can play, it would have to be this year, if he doesn't his career could be in jeopardy.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Here's the thing about Ben, this is a contract year. If he can play, it would have to be this year, if he doesn't his career could be in jeopardy.
I can really only see him going to a team looking to reset. Even if Ben puts up compelling stats this year who is going to sign him to more than an MLE deal after he basically stole his last contract? So whoever takes him is probably not thinking they can rehab him but thinking they can open up cap space next summer.

In which case, is that not something the Nets might just want to do assuming Year One goes ok under Jordi, I don't know how much of their roster needs to be re-upped or is expensive but it looks like Schroeder is the only other player making 8 figures annually that expires in 2025, so Ben coming off their books along with Schroeder could open up 20million, plus whatever bump the cap might receive with new tv deals? They might have a 2016 like opportunity to add a max player?

If Boston doesn’t win it all this year, I would be inquiring about Brown. I think he brings so much to the table and I don’t think Tatum is much better than him, if at all. Age wise and talent wise, he is exactly the kind of player we need and is worth throwing the kitchen sink at.

Jimmy Butler also comes to mind as a guy who has always done more with less. Gritty and as tough as they come, he would change our team from the second he arrived. Not sure how long Miami is going to be playing this game of overachieving and hoping for the best, but I think he’s worth inquiring about, and if Pat Riley is willing to deal, then you have to try to make that work.

Ben Simmons is a joke and I wouldn’t take him even if he paid us to take him. He’s been a negative influence for years now and has made a living pretending to be injured. No thanks, let another team deal with that soap opera.

Isaac is a very interesting option and is worth exploring. He fits our need at the 4 like a glove, but injury history is a concern. Can you really bank on him staying healthy and giving you 30 minutes plus a game? If so, it’s worth the gamble easily, but if he gets hurt again, you’re SOL. This would be very much dependent on what we send back.

Lavine ship has hopefully sailed along with Kuzma. I don’t think either of those guys get us over any significant hump. Kuzma would be an upgrade, but not a very significant one. Lavine doesn’t move the needle at all for me and injury history is a concern.

Mikel Bridges would be a great fit age wise and skill wise, but he would cost a pretty penny indeed. Keegan would almost certainly have to be involved. We would have to be damn sure that Bridges is “that guy” to take us to the next level. One does have to wonder though, in a year or two, how much better will Bridges be than Keegan and is worth trading for him? I wouldn’t do it, but who knows…

Dark horse candidate… Donovan Mitchell. Number 1 option on offense type of guy, great player and almost certainly wants off the Cavs. Unlikely we have the pieces to get it done, but wouldn’t be surprised to see our name attached to his, even if it’s just an inquiry. Would certainly make us very potent on offense. Sign and trade Monk with Barnes/Huerter mixed in with picks? Idk if that’s possible or not but just throwing it out there.

JJJ, not sure what Memphis is thinking long term, but he’s the type of guy that would fit alongside Sabonis extremely well. Should Memphis find themselves in a lost season again for one reason or another… I’d definitely give them a call.

If Boston doesn’t win it all this year, I would be inquiring about Brown. I think he brings so much to the table and I don’t think Tatum is much better than him, if at all. Age wise and talent wise, he is exactly the kind of player we need and is worth throwing the kitchen sink at.

Jimmy Butler also comes to mind as a guy who has always done more with less. Gritty and as tough as they come, he would change our team from the second he arrived. Not sure how long Miami is going to be playing this game of overachieving and hoping for the best, but I think he’s worth inquiring about, and if Pat Riley is willing to deal, then you have to try to make that work.

Ben Simmons is a joke and I wouldn’t take him even if he paid us to take him. He’s been a negative influence for years now and has made a living pretending to be injured. No thanks, let another team deal with that soap opera.

Isaac is a very interesting option and is worth exploring. He fits our need at the 4 like a glove, but injury history is a concern. Can you really bank on him staying healthy and giving you 30 minutes plus a game? If so, it’s worth the gamble easily, but if he gets hurt again, you’re SOL. This would be very much dependent on what we send back.

Lavine ship has hopefully sailed along with Kuzma. I don’t think either of those guys get us over any significant hump. Kuzma would be an upgrade, but not a very significant one. Lavine doesn’t move the needle at all for me and injury history is a concern.

Mikel Bridges would be a great fit age wise and skill wise, but he would cost a pretty penny indeed. Keegan would almost certainly have to be involved. We would have to be damn sure that Bridges is “that guy” to take us to the next level. One does have to wonder though, in a year or two, how much better will Bridges be than Keegan and is worth trading for him? I wouldn’t do it, but who knows…

Dark horse candidate… Donovan Mitchell. Number 1 option on offense type of guy, great player and almost certainly wants off the Cavs. Unlikely we have the pieces to get it done, but wouldn’t be surprised to see our name attached to his, even if it’s just an inquiry. Would certainly make us very potent on offense. Sign and trade Monk with Barnes/Huerter mixed in with picks? Idk if that’s possible or not but just throwing it out there.

JJJ, not sure what Memphis is thinking long term, but he’s the type of guy that would fit alongside Sabonis extremely well. Should Memphis find themselves in a lost season again for one reason or another… I’d definitely give them a call.
I was thinking this as well prior to the playoffs, but I think it's gone too far. They would for sure have better offers considering their only goal is a ring.

The only one of those players that may remotely be available to Sacramento is Lavine and he is always injured.

The only one of those players that may remotely be available to Sacramento is Lavine and he is always injured.
You don’t know until you ask. Jimmy Butler may be attainable, I don’t think he’s firmly in the untouchable camp and he may be tiring of carrying that team. Isaac is certainly attainable, just depends on what each team is willing to accept in a trade scenario and if there’s a better offer for the Magic. If Celtics fail to win it this year, I almost certainly think Brown will be made available (discreetly of course), but yes I agree it’s a very very long shot for us. Only thing working in our favor in that scenario is that they can send him West and that’s about it. There are others out there that I haven’t mentioned as well (Grant from Portland for example) so it’s not like this is the “the list” of potential targets.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
When we think about landing a "blockbuster" player in a trade, we have to also consider what circumstances are going to allow such a trade to be accepted on both sides. It feels like there are three basic ways that a blockbuster can go down:

1) Talent-for-talent
We've already done this, in the Sabonis/Haliburton trade. At that point it made sense, because our core was basically Fox+Haliburton, two players who played the same position. Our team was horribly unbalanced, and we traded a great talent to get a great talent at a position of need. But now our core is Fox+Sabonis (+Keegan?) and is much better balanced, is working together, good chemistry, appears to be on the same page as the coach, etc. Trading Fox or Sabonis would likely set us back temporarily, and could easily end up being a step backwards that the current core never recovers from. Probably not a great idea. Keegan is the same sort of thing. There's an argument that Mikal-Keegan ends up improving us, but unless we think Keegan's trajectory is on the downslope, that could end up biting us in the rear. Not a sure thing by any means. So as of now, it seems to me that the talent-for-talent trade is unlikely to work for us.

2) Assets-for-talent
If you throw in enough first round draft picks, there are a decent number of players you can buy. But there are caveats. First, the other team has to be a seller. In the Jaylen Brown example above, Boston isn't a seller - never has been. They're trying to win a title, of course Brown's not available. The other caveat is that when you blow up your future draft capital, and it doesn't work, you get mired in the mud for years. Does anybody really want a repeat of Phoenix-Beal? Brooklyn-Garnett/Pierce? Big market franchises have a bit of a buffer built around them, because they can count on attracting free agent talent to re-stock when they rockbottom their draft capital. We can't do that. If we're going to toss away 3-4 FRPs, the return is going to have to be a guy that pratically guarantees a final appearance - and is being sold. I don't see that player on the market, so I'm extremely reluctant to mortgage our future on a stab in the dark, especially for a player who might end up being our 4th option when all is said and done.

3) Reclamation Project
The last way I see to get a "blockbuster" return in a deal is with a reclamation project. (I'm looking at you, Ben Simmons and Zach LaVine.) This is a player who is getting paid way too much for their value and whom the other team wants to salary dump - but who has that flashy upside that makes a team say, "I can fix him!" Well, maybe you can. But then again, maybe you can't. (I'm looking at you, Ben Simmons and John Wall.) The upside for a deal like this is that generally the receiving team doesn't have to give up a ton of assets. In fact, sometimes, they even get assets back! LaVine, for instance, is owed about $138M over the next three years. We would be able to execute a trade for LaVine under the salary cap rules by sending out "only" Barnes and Huerter, who are owed about $72M - a net savings for the Bulls of about $66M! We would be gambling that LaVine would approach being his former self (coming off foot surgery, who knows?) and we'd probably have to demand that the Bulls send US draft assets, since we're taking all the risk. This is the kind of thing that *might* work for us, but again, you have to get it right. In addition to "does LaVine ever move the needle" we're also faced with "we just hardcapped ourselves at the first apron for this year". We would have to avoid trying to make too big of a splash in free agency (and in this case Monk is a goner) to stay under that apron, and we wouldn't have much to work with other than #13 and the taxpayer MLE to fill out a roster. Maybe it works, but if we can get Monk to sign, I'd far rather have Malik at 2/$35 than LaVine at 3/$138. If Monk walks, maybe we try this, but if we do we have to do it knowing this is literally the only bullet in our chamber. Fox/Lavine/Keegan/Lyles/Domas with Davion/Keon/Sasha/#13 (with the possibility of tweaking around the edges) pretty much *has* to work, or we're toast for three years at least. Is that a gamble we want?

I don't see us making headway with #1, I see #2 as a bad plan generally, and #3 as a huge gamble that you only take if you really don't think there's any other path. I'm not sure we aren't better off counting on core improvement (especially Keegan) and trying to hit paydirt at #13.

I'm not sure what Lessorts contract is 100% in Greece I don't know if the year coming up if outright signed/player option/team option but he's probably been a top 5 Euroleague big (I hated him cause he played for Partizan) he's all energy big undersized but superstrong think of Harrell/Faried but a excellent defender without that much offense and great rebounder. He's 27 and coming off winning the Euroleague title which could open him to a move to the NBA to play behind Sabonis. He was all Euroleague the past season or 2 and he could probably be had for cheap and ready to play right away and help the Kings with toughness/D/rebounding.

Last season

This year

(Looks like the NYK own his rights....was drafted 2nd round 2017)

You don’t know until you ask. Jimmy Butler may be attainable, I don’t think he’s firmly in the untouchable camp and he may be tiring of carrying that team. Isaac is certainly attainable, just depends on what each team is willing to accept in a trade scenario and if there’s a better offer for the Magic. If Celtics fail to win it this year, I almost certainly think Brown will be made available (discreetly of course), but yes I agree it’s a very very long shot for us. Only thing working in our favor in that scenario is that they can send him West and that’s about it. There are others out there that I haven’t mentioned as well (Grant from Portland for example) so it’s not like this is the “the list” of potential targets.
Jimmy butler does not want to be in Sacramento. He is super old and would waste our future

i saw a rockets trade for Ingram that included the 3 pick. It was much better than anything we could offer. We can’t just get rid of two marginal starters and expect to get an impact player. We simply can’t offer what other more talented teams have. Another reason we have to aim for a gamble.

HB+Davion+Heurter for Lavine and Jevon Carter works in the trade machine. Maybe Chi throws a pick in there as well to compensate for taking huge salary back and injury risk.

Fox-Lavine-Murray-?-Sabonis
Carter-Ellis-?-Lyles-?

We would have to focus on finding/drafting a starting PF, backup SF, and backup Center

Jimmy butler does not want to be in Sacramento. He is super old and would waste our future
We don’t necessarily need him to be a star player and everything and every player has a price. If the asking price is too high, you walk away, but if it isn’t unreasonable, then why not ponder it? He would bring a wealth of experience, work ethic, and solid play for us, but yes, he’s 34 so his prime is dwindling quickly. He’s not my ideal target, but let’s not pretend that he wouldn’t help us.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
i saw a rockets trade for Ingram that included the 3 pick. It was much better than anything we could offer. We can’t just get rid of two marginal starters and expect to get an impact player. We simply can’t offer what other more talented teams have. Another reason we have to aim for a gamble.
I mean, maybe?

It depends on how much value you're attaching to that 3rd pick in one of the weakest drafts we've had in years.

The Ringer currently has Donovan Clingan, Matas Buzelis, and Reed Sheppard as the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best players in this draft. Are any of them actual difference makers in the NBA?

KINGS
Zach Lavine
Jonathan Isaac
#18 (Da Silva, McCain, Collier)

BULLS
Harrison Barnes
Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
Sasha Vezenkov

MAGIC
Kevin Huerter
POR 2025 1st via CHI (lottery protected until 2028 if not conveyed 2028 2nd)

PG: Fox (36) McCain/Collier/Jones (12)
SG: Lavine (20) Ellis (28)
SF: Murray (34) Lavine (14)
PF: Isaac (27) Lyles (21)
C: Sabonis (36) Len (12)

+ 1 between Jalen Smith, Dario Saric, Taurean Prince, Kyle Anderson, Jae’Sean Tate or Naji Marshall
and 1 between Delon Wright, Kris Dunn, Jordan McLaughlin, Dennis Smith jr. or Monte Morris.

#45 If any of Almansa, Bona or Ighodaro are still there, one of them should be the pick for the 3rd/G League center.

+ Kessler Edwards
+ Jalen Slawson

Last edited:
KINGS
Zach Lavine
Jonathan Isaac
#18 (Da Silva, McCain, Collier)

BULLS
Harrison Barnes
Davion Mitchell
Chris Duarte
Sasha Vezenkov

MAGIC
Kevin Huerter
POR 2025 1st via CHI (lottery protected until 2028 if not conveyed 2028 2nd)

PG: Fox (36) McCain/Collier/Jones (12)
SG: Lavine (20) Ellis (28)
SF: Murray (34) Lavine (14)
PF: Isaac (27) Lyles (21)
C: Sabonis (36) Len (12)

+ 1 between Jalen Smith, Dario Saric, Taurean Prince, Kyle Anderson, Jae’Sean Tate or Naji Marshall
and 1 between Delon Wright, Kris Dunn, Jordan McLaughlin, Dennis Smith jr. or Monte Morris.

#45 If any of Almansa, Bona or Ighodaro are still there, one of them should be the pick for the 3rd/G League center.

+ Kessler Edwards
+ Jalen Slawson
I think the Bulls say no pretty quickly to this one.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I think the Bulls say no pretty quickly to this one.
If the Bulls say no to this, then I'd think that LaVine isn't actually on the block. The Bulls give up a lotto-protected pick (that doesn't affect their ability to trade other picks in the future) and take on about $58M of guaranteed salary (3 of 4 being likely rotation players) in order to dump $138M of guaranteed salary. They save $80M and seriously improve their cap flexibility. If they don't take that, it means they're riding with LaVine.

If the Bulls say no to this, then I'd think that LaVine isn't actually on the block. The Bulls give up a lotto-protected pick (that doesn't affect their ability to trade other picks in the future) and take on about $58M of guaranteed salary (3 of 4 being likely rotation players) in order to dump $138M of guaranteed salary. They save $80M and seriously improve their cap flexibility. If they don't take that, it means they're riding with LaVine.
You have to compare what we give to what we get back. There is no way the bulls give up that much just because you want them to. You are basically are giving us 1 major asset, 1 solid asset (a 3D stud) for HB, Huerter and Davion. The picks are a wash.that is just unrealistic.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
You have to compare what we give to what we get back. There is no way the bulls give up that much just because you want them to. You are basically are giving us 1 major asset, 1 solid asset (a 3D stud) for HB, Huerter and Davion. The picks are a wash.that is just unrealistic.
If the Bulls are shopping LaVine because they are worried about his injury history relative to his contract, then they are effectively salary dumping him. My point was, if the Bulls are salary dumping LaVine (and this is basically the premise that every LaVine trade proposal centers on) then they would likely accept that deal. However, it is entirely possible that the Bulls are NOT salary dumping LaVine in which case of course they would not accept that deal.

If the Bulls are shopping LaVine because they are worried about his injury history relative to his contract, then they are effectively salary dumping him. My point was, if the Bulls are salary dumping LaVine (and this is basically the premise that every LaVine trade proposal centers on) then they would likely accept that deal. However, it is entirely possible that the Bulls are NOT salary dumping LaVine in which case of course they would not accept that deal.
This is why I propposed it. LaVine if he could stay healthy (a big if I know) gives us a second scorer behind Fox, a better and a starter version of Malik if he finally is gone.

And Isaac, who is the perfect fit next to Sabonis and Keegan has some red flags. The first is also his health, he is maybe the player who has suffered the most with injuries in recent years and also has only one year left in his contract. He is another gamble. Could Orlando be interested? They need a good shooting SG, but they also got lot of money to adquire one in the FA market (Klay? Malik?). But at the same time, could they afford a +20M Isaac new contract next year when they are going to have to pay Wagner and a year before they offer a max deal to Banchero who both play in the same positions as Isaac?

I really don't think Isaac is worth 2 first round picks, but maybe to the right team? It's like with DFS, truth and fan appreciation sometimes doesn't equal out. Other than that, it does seem realistic unless yeah as @Capt. Factorial said, the Bulls aren't just dumping LaVine. Although, I personally think a LaVine for Barnes/Huerter deal brings quite a bit of balance to both squads. Sending Sasha and Mitchell instead of Huerter probably isn't much off value wise and the Bulls love those guards that can D up.