Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Sean’s tweet seems to indicate that a now move is coming though, at least that’s how I interpreted it. I assume we will know yet today or tomorrow if it’s an internal signing or FA deal of some sort
Could be, but scanning the FA market it looks like a bunch of min. guys at this point. It could be a trade if the MLE can still be used that way.

the other thought is Jae Crowder. Cunningham was the first to report he was working out with the team last month, maybe they liked what they saw enough as a back up to Lyles.
That is true. Did this move have to happen first though? I mean, there's probably going to be some waiving going on but regardless I don't think the Kings are at the roster limit size and I'm not sure a min. contract would cause any issues cap wise. The question now is about that MLE and the true space Monte has if useable in trade. Sure is close to someone like PJ Tuckers contract I'd bet.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That is true. Did this move have to happen first though? I mean, there's probably going to be some waiving going on but regardless I don't think the Kings are at the roster limit size and I'm not sure a min. contract would cause any issues cap wise.
McDaniels was making $4.74M, so clearing that cap space gives us a bit of breathing room with regards to the apron, etc. that we didn't have before. If we cut McDaniels as part of a trade, we'd still be responsible for his salary. We're trading for somebody. And I'd suspect it's for somebody making more than about $5M.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
and just a reminder because DDR was a sign and trade we are hard capped at the first apron. I don't think this is a cost move it's a free up salary cap to use move.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
McDaniels was making $4.74M, so clearing that cap space gives us a bit of breathing room with regards to the apron, etc. that we didn't have before. If we cut McDaniels as part of a trade, we'd still be responsible for his salary. We're trading for somebody. And I'd suspect it's for somebody making more than about $5M.
Maybe we're going to sign a FA.

I hear James Bouknight is available.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
For instance: Cam Johnson makes $23.625M this year. We can "salary match" that with Kevin Huerter ($16.83M) and Colby Jones ($2.12M), for a total of $18.95M. That of course, adds $4.675M to our salary. We are hard-capped at the first apron due to the DDR S&T. Prior to dumping McDaniels, we had about $200K in first apron space. Now, we have $4.9M...juuuust enough to squeeze a trade like that in.

Obviously, we'd have to throw in at least one first to make that happen.

For instance: Cam Johnson makes $23.625M this year. We can "salary match" that with Kevin Huerter ($16.83M) and Colby Jones ($2.12M), for a total of $18.95M. That of course, adds $4.675M to our salary. We are hard-capped at the first apron due to the DDR S&T. Prior to dumping McDaniels, we had about $200K in first apron space. Now, we have $4.9M...juuuust enough to squeeze a trade like that in.

That salary difference is pretty interesting coincidence

Shams says “flexibility for a move down the line”

Sean says “part one of another move to come”

Anderson says “could be trade or FA signing”

1140 says “ promote training camp player or sign a player cut from other team”

I would have assumed his salary was used in trade. If anything, McDaniels would be a benefit via trade since the Kings still have to match salary right? This actually isn't beneficial trade wise since that's one less expiring money to toss in. I mean, if there wasn't a specific reason of course. We'll know soon.

Last edited:

In first apron space? Do you mean luxury space? I thought the Kings were already 5 million or so under the first apron. If so I didn't realize it was that tight. That would definitely make sense just as a cost cutting move if so.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
In first apron space? Do you mean luxury space? I thought the Kings were already 5 million or so under the first apron. If so I didn't realize it was that tight. That would definitely make sense just as a cost cutting move if so.
That's how the numbers are shaking out at Spotrac. They appear to be including cap holds for the two empty roster spots, which could possibly account for the difference. Also, that would suggest that we had about $2M more in space prior to the trade than I wrote above - because one of those cap holds would have been added to fill out the 14th roster spot after McDaniels was traded for nobody. So presumably we gained $2.7M of flexibility, not $4.7M.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I would have assumed his salary was used in trade. If anything, McDaniels would be a benefit via trade since the Kings still have to match salary right? This actually isn't beneficial trade wise since that's one less expiring money to toss in. I mean, if there wasn't a specific reason of course. We'll know soon.
It depends on how much the other team in the trade wants to take on salary. The Nets are pushing the apron themselves, so they might be unwilling to add salary.

Another note - it does look like adding Colby to that proposed trade isn't really necessary. Since we can actually bring in +$7.5M when sending out Huerter, Jones is not needed to make the trade happen. And if we send him out, we have to just replace him with another league-minimum salary anyway. So we could really be looking at a Huerter/Cam trade straight up with whatever picks we have to throw in to make it happen.

That's how the numbers are shaking out at Spotrac. They appear to be including cap holds for the two empty roster spots, which could possibly account for the difference. Also, that would suggest that we had about $2M more in space prior to the trade than I wrote above - because one of those cap holds would have been added to fill out the 14th roster spot after McDaniels was traded for nobody. So presumably we gained $2.7M of flexibility, not $4.7M.
That's the thing, why are those cap holds still there? Strange.

These are the 6 possibilities from my view in no particular order:

1) got a look at Mcdaniels and decided it’s a no for Monte dawg. Get the money off the books in case a trade or cut signing makes sense between now and the deadline.

2) want to use the money and roster spot on Isaac Jones

3) make a small trade with a team that has a 5 mill dollar forward lying around and they don’t want salary coming back

4) make a big trade for a guy like Cam with a team that doesn’t want salary filler back

5) want to sign a free agent like Jae Crowder

6) Vivek is cheap

which one do you think is the most likely? It’s like trying to solve the JB Ramsey cold case, all options seem kind of suspect.

The first option leaves us incredibly thin at forward with no guarantee we can fill that role.

The second option doesn’t require dumping Mcdaniels.

The third one requires us to have a minor asset to trade like second rounders. Cupboards pretty dry there.

The fourth option seems like it could have been done earlier so we we could have implemented a player line that into camp and free agency. Even if you use Kvons injury as an excuse he still isn’t playing so why now?

The fifth option is interesting but guys like Crowder and TJ Warren are probably get minimum players at this point so those don’t impact the luxury right?

The sixth option is not a thing imo.

1) got a look at Mcdaniels and decided it’s a no for Monte dawg. Get the money off the books in case a trade or cut signing makes sense between now and the deadline.

3) make a small trade with a team that has a 5 mill dollar forward lying around and they don’t want salary coming back

4) make a big trade for a guy like Cam with a team that doesn’t want salary filler back

6) Vivek is cheap

which one do you think is the most likely? It’s like trying to solve the JB Ramsey cold case, all options seem kind of suspect.

The first option leaves us incredibly thin at forward with no guarantee we can fill that role.

The second option doesn’t require dumping Mcdaniels.

The third one requires us to have a minor asset to trade like second rounders. Cupboards pretty dry there.

The fourth option seems like it could have been done earlier so we we could have implemented a player line that into camp and free agency. Even if you use Kvons injury as an excuse he still isn’t playing so why now?

The fifth option is interesting but guys like Crowder and TJ Warren are probably get minimum players at this point so those don’t impact the luxury right?

The sixth option is not a thing imo.
I said in another thread, that I think the reason is to sign Isaac Jones to roster spot #14, and then use his now free two-way slot to sign Boogie to a two-way spot. Then, we still have the 15th spot open (which seems a Monte priority) to either sign a free agent, pickup someone who gets cut, take back a player in a trade, or stay otherwise roster flexible.

6) Vivek is cheap

Which one do you think is the most likely?
I have always thought Cameron Johnson would fit very well with this team, and the Kings reportedly have shown interest in the past. I predicted a trade once McDaniels was eligible, but that was at the end of August. Maybe things are finally cooking.

I said in another thread, that I think the reason is to sign Isaac Jones to roster spot #14, and then use his now free two-way slot to sign Boogie to a two-way spot. Then, we still have the 15th spot open (which seems a Monte priority) to either sign a free agent, pickup someone who gets cut, take back a player in a trade, or stay otherwise roster flexible.
could be but I find that risky. Jones can’t shoot at all yet and he has no NBA experience. I’m a long term believer in him and maybe he can be our version of TJD and help right away but you are one Trey Lyles injury away from having no big forward depth. In my mind it might be better to find more proven vet type and let IJ develop in Stockton and serve as an emergency 4. You could also just fill all 15 spots and if you need to cut at the deadline you can. Very interested to see how this plays out