Possible Free agents

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's the paragraph that stood out to me in that article:

"Gordon is shooting an ugly 36 percent on isolations, and he isn't using them to create drive-and-kick opportunities; his assist rate has barely budged. Add it up, and the Magic are scoring 0.68 points per possession out of Gordon isolations, a mark that ranks 146th among 154 guys who have recorded at least 50 such plays, per Second Spectrum".

I agree with him that Gordon likes to play like a ball-dominate star, but isn't one. If Klay Thompson wants to pop 5 threes a game, I'm fine with it, but when Gordon does it, I have a problem

So because someone at ESPN thought these were the top players 25 and under, it's gospel? Sorry, but I don't worship at that altar. No Kyrie Irving, no Zach Lavine, no Oladipo? I could go on. I could argue that Fox has had a better season than Ball, who has gotten all the publicity. The only stat area where Ball is better, is in assists, which is no shock since that's the horse he rode in on.. At the end of the day, it's just someone's opinion, and I have my own.
Kyrie and Oladipo are 25, so if it's a list of players under 25 they wouldn't be on it.

Lavine is talented for sure, but I'm not sure I'd take him over most of those players.

So because someone at ESPN thought these were the top players 25 and under, it's gospel? Sorry, but I don't worship at that altar. No Kyrie Irving, no Zach Lavine, no Oladipo? I could go on. I could argue that Fox has had a better season than Ball, who has gotten all the publicity. The only stat area where Ball is better, is in assists, which is no shock since that's the horse he rode in on.. At the end of the day, it's just someone's opinion, and I have my own.
Lonzo is ahead of Murray, Markkanen, and Brown enough said

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kyrie and Oladipo are 25, so if it's a list of players under 25 they wouldn't be on it.

Lavine is talented for sure, but I'm not sure I'd take him over most of those players.
Anthony Davis is on that list and he's 25 years old, so I figured it was 25 and under.

This is where I disagree. I think there's a difference between showing good improvement, and having a break out year. Yes, he's scoring 6 pt's more a game, but his efficiency overall hasn't improved, he's simply taking more shots. He's improved his rebounding by a couple as well. Let me ask you this, if Willie scores 18 pts a game next season and averages 8 boards a game, while maintaining his current efficiency, will that be a break out year for him. I'm also befuddled as to why some think today, that Gordon has a higher ceiling than Willie, when Willie's third year in the league was better than Gordon's third year in the league. I'm trying to follow the logic here. Is it because Gordon was drafted higher? Younger perhaps?

As I said, I do like Gordon and think that jury is still out. But I want to see him consistently hit the three point shot for more than half a year before I become a believer. After four years in the league, I believe in paying a player on his results, not on his potential. He's had four years to develop and show that potential, and so far, Draymond Green he's not. At least not yet.
It's because of age. I have no clue why you discount that when talking about players, but it's entirely relevant, especially when you're comparing a 21yearold in his 3rd year vs. a 24yearold in his 3rd year. One was considered NBA ready who spent 3 years at college, while the other was considered a raw 1 and done prospect. Both prospects are athletically gifted, so yeah, I do think age is the main factor.

Following the lines of age, look at Jerian Grant vs. Emmanuel Mudiay. Who would you say has the higher ceiling? Both are in their 3rd seasons.
Grant 22.7mins: 8.3pts/4.8asts/2.5rebs/0.8stls/1.2tos on 42.9/35/75.2
Mudiay 19.7mins: 9pts/3.3asts/2.3rebs/0.6stls/1.9tos on 39.3/33.1/75.2

Grant is 25 and Mudiay is 22. Would you hold Grant and Mudiay to the same standard? Would you expect both players to be on equal footing by year 3? OR would you expect Grant to adapt to the NBA quicker? Why is this? Who has the higher ceiling long-term?

If WCS can put up 18pts 8rebs on 45%+FG, 30%+3pters (on more than 2 attempts) next year, then I would have no problem giving him big money(of course this comes with the assumption that he no longer has motor issues). If he were only 22, I'd give him the MAX, no questions asked.

I think you're discrediting Gordon a lot. There are only 7 other stretch PFs who put up at least 10pts and grab 7rebs. Compare their overall stats with Aaron Gordon and tell me what you see. https://stats.nba.com/players/tradi...&PlayerPosition=F&Height=GT 6-7&Weight=GT 200

Compare his points, rebounds, blocks, assists, FG%, 3PT%, FT%, etc. I already showed you a while ago that his 3pt% is lower because he creates a lot of his own 3pt shots unlike most PFs who just catch and shoot. 34.8% is not bad at all. Lauri Markkanen is at 34.5% at 6 3pters a game. I doubt you have a problem with him shooting that many 3s. His numbers are on par with the rest of them.

Another question, would you say that Kristaps Porzingis didn't improve this year? FG% down, Rebs down, assists down, but 3pt% and blocks are up. Blocks improved minimally from 2.0 to 2.4. Would you say that he hasn't improved this year? He's shooting 43.9% from the floor which is down from 45% last year.

I don't think anyone would argue that he hasn't improved since his rookie year. So I'm not too sure why anyone would make the same argument for Gordon.

Anthony Davis is on that list and he's 25 years old, so I figured it was 25 and under.
I hadn't checked the ages of everyone on the list, so the list doesn't make any sense if he's on it and the other two aren't, unless it's a mistake by the one that made the list?

Another question, would you say that Kristaps Porzingis didn't improve this year? FG% down, Rebs down, assists down, but 3pt% and blocks are up. Blocks improved minimally from 2.0 to 2.4. Would you say that he hasn't improved this year? He's shooting 43.9% from the floor which is down from 45% last year.

I don't think anyone would argue that he hasn't improved since his rookie year. So I'm not too sure why anyone would make the same argument for Gordon.
KP started hot. He was averaging 30 points in early November, then as that month progressed he started to slump. Since then he was hot and cold up and till his injury. It is also worth noting he was struggling with an elbow injury around this time as well.

From that point there were games he was taking a lot of shots, some pretty bad ones, just to try and get into rhythm. One game he had twenty shots and hit seven of them, which is roughly a third. In previous games he was usually above fifty percent in FGA.

So the decline in shooting percentage is tied to his slump and poor usage/management. Their head coach has done a terrible job at times. They've blown multiple 20+ point leads. The other night against Philly they led for a lot of the game then bottled. Like KP, they started hot, slumped, blew hot and cold, and now they are tanking.

For me, it's not surprise that KP went from being hot to lukewarm by the time he got hurt. They didn't manage him well or use him well. If they want to build around him and be successful long term they'll need to change how they manage and use him otherwise his longevity might not be what it could be.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's because of age. I have no clue why you discount that when talking about players, but it's entirely relevant, especially when you're comparing a 21yearold in his 3rd year vs. a 24yearold in his 3rd year. One was considered NBA ready who spent 3 years at college, while the other was considered a raw 1 and done prospect. Both prospects are athletically gifted, so yeah, I do think age is the main factor.

Following the lines of age, look at Jerian Grant vs. Emmanuel Mudiay. Who would you say has the higher ceiling? Both are in their 3rd seasons.

Grant is 25 and Mudiay is 22. Would you hold Grant and Mudiay to the same standard? Would you expect both players to be on equal footing by year 3? OR would you expect Grant to adapt to the NBA quicker? Why is this? Who has the higher ceiling long-term?

If WCS can put up 18pts 8rebs on 45%+FG, 30%+3pters (on more than 2 attempts) next year, then I would have no problem giving him big money(of course this comes with the assumption that he no longer has motor issues). If he were only 22, I'd give him the MAX, no questions asked.

I think you're discrediting Gordon a lot. There are only 7 other stretch PFs who put up at least 10pts and grab 7rebs. Compare their overall stats with Aaron Gordon and tell me what you see. https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&CF=REB*GE*7:FG3A*GE*3:pTS*GE*10&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=F&Height=GT 6-7&Weight=GT 200

Compare his points, rebounds, blocks, assists, FG%, 3PT%, FT%, etc. I already showed you a while ago that his 3pt% is lower because he creates a lot of his own 3pt shots unlike most PFs who just catch and shoot. 34.8% is not bad at all. Lauri Markkanen is at 34.5% at 6 3pters a game. I doubt you have a problem with him shooting that many 3s. His numbers are on par with the rest of them.
I put emphasis on years of experience. If you have two players that are the same age, and one got involved with basketball when he was 8 or 9 years old, and the other didn't touch a basketball until he was in his sophmore year of highschool, and all things being equal, who the hell do you think is going to be a better player at age 21? I started playing baseball when I was five years old and by the time I was in highschool I was pretty damm good at it. Experience is what matters, not how freaking old you are!!!!!!!! What Willie started learning at a late age, was already instinctive to many others, like Gordon. Gordon who is younger, should be much better than Willie based on years of experience, and he's not. That speaks more about Gordon than it does Willie.

By the way, I'm not saying Willie is going to be a star. He has to show up big time next season, or my optimism is gone. My comments are strictly about whether Gordon deserves a max contract or not. I vote no, and if the Kings give him one, their out of their minds.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think you're discrediting Gordon a lot. There are only 7 other stretch PFs who put up at least 10pts and grab 7rebs. Compare their overall stats with Aaron Gordon and tell me what you see. https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&CF=REB*GE*7:FG3A*GE*3:pTS*GE*10&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PlayerPosition=F&Height=GT 6-7&Weight=GT 200

A few more comments on this post. Lets go to Markkanen. How on god's earth can you possibly compare him to Gordon. Markkanen is in his first year in the league while Gordon is in his 4th year in the league. If you can't see the difference between the two, then I can't help you. As to who do I think has the highest ceiling between Grant and Mudiay? Well first, I've never liked Mudiay, because like Gordon, he can't shoot the ball, and he's been in the league long enough to validate that. At least so far I haven't seen improvement. If Mudiay isn't careful, he'll be out of the league in a year or two. So I'll take Grant.

Back to Gordon. My argument isn't about liking or disliking him, or whether he would be a nice addition to the team. It's whether he's worth a max extension. Which would be around 25 mil a year for 4 years. You quote his 34% three point percentage for the year. That's all that remains of his great start at the beginning of the year. For his last 10 games he's shooting 32.7% and for his last 20 games he's shooting 27.9%. Think about that, 27.9% for the last 20 games while chucking up 6 attempts a game. How long before people on this forum would be calling for his head. There are times when it's painful to watch him. My advice to him is, if you shoot poorly off your own shot creation, then stop shooting!!!!

I don't have a problem with players that can't shoot as long as they know their limitations. Paul Milsap couldn't shoot the three when he came into the league, but he knew it, and therefore didn't even try. He did what he was good at, and later in his career worked the three pt shot into his tool bag. I'll cut Gordon some slack because of the Magic, who never defined his role. Like Hezonja, he's been jerked around with his role constantly changing. As a result I'm willing to gamble on improvement from him, but I'm damm well not going to overpay for that privilege.

I'm not denying that Gordon has tons of potential, but there are no guarantee's he will ever reach that potential. The NBA is littered with the careers of players that had ton's of potential that never fulfilled it. Right now, he's not Paul George or LaMarcus Aldridge. He's Aaron Gordon and his press clippings still exceed his results. Who would you rather have, Gordon or Myles Turner? Gordon is the better athlete, but I could argue that Turner is the better player, and is in his third year in the league. Why not wait a year when Turner is a restricted free agent and when we'll have a lot of capspace. And who knows, maybe after next year, Turner will actually look like a max contract player.

Going after Gordon with a Max offer is like pushing all your chips forward in poker with a so so hand.
I wouldn't mind because it is certainly exciting to risk so much with a potential big payoff...
Cards turn out wong and thats a nail in the coffin.
Is it the right time for a roll of the dice like this? Probably not
However, there is no guarantee a better hand will come along THIS could be the best chance.

I wouldnt kill the Kings and Vlade for taking the shot.

ESPN listed the top 25 players under 25 about a week ago.

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
  2. Anthony Davis
  3. Joel Embiid
  4. Karl-Anthony Towns
  5. Nikola Jokic
  6. Ben Simmons
  7. Kristaps Porzingis
  8. Bradley Beal
  9. Donovan Mitchell
  10. Devin Booker
  11. Gary Harris
  12. Andre Drummond
  13. Clint Capela
  14. Jayson Tatum
  15. Otto Porter
  16. Brandon Ingram
  17. Steven Adams
  18. Lonzo Ball
  19. Lauri Markkanen
  20. Jamal Murray
  21. Aaron Gordon
  22. Jaylen Brown
  23. Andrew Wiggins
  24. Kyle Kuzma
  25. Myles Turner
  26. Dario Saric
This offseason Gordon is available, if you can get one of these top young players you do it. Notice no Kings anywhere on this list. People on this board think some are always down on the Kings players but put down the pom poms and really take a look at our talent. Kings have cap space why wouldnt they make a run at Gordon.
Gordon is worth the max. He’s 23. Easily a 20 plus 10 player next year. Quick, Athletic, and has expanded his game to the 3. He’s a great fit for the fast paced offense the Kings want to run. Bogi, Hield, Fox, and Gordon would be super exciting. Randle would be a Joerger choice. Since, he’s so in love with Randolph. Randle would be similar.

A few more comments on this post. Lets go to Markkanen. How on god's earth can you possibly compare him to Gordon. Markkanen is in his first year in the league while Gordon is in his 4th year in the league. If you can't see the difference between the two, then I can't help you. As to who do I think has the highest ceiling between Grant and Mudiay? Well first, I've never liked Mudiay, because like Gordon, he can't shoot the ball, and he's been in the league long enough to validate that. At least so far I haven't seen improvement. If Mudiay isn't careful, he'll be out of the league in a year or two. So I'll take Grant.

Back to Gordon. My argument isn't about liking or disliking him, or whether he would be a nice addition to the team. It's whether he's worth a max extension. Which would be around 25 mil a year for 4 years. You quote his 34% three point percentage for the year. That's all that remains of his great start at the beginning of the year. For his last 10 games he's shooting 32.7% and for his last 20 games he's shooting 27.9%. Think about that, 27.9% for the last 20 games while chucking up 6 attempts a game. How long before people on this forum would be calling for his head. There are times when it's painful to watch him. My advice to him is, if you shoot poorly off your own shot creation, then stop shooting!!!!

I don't have a problem with players that can't shoot as long as they know their limitations. Paul Milsap couldn't shoot the three when he came into the league, but he knew it, and therefore didn't even try. He did what he was good at, and later in his career worked the three pt shot into his tool bag. I'll cut Gordon some slack because of the Magic, who never defined his role. Like Hezonja, he's been jerked around with his role constantly changing. As a result I'm willing to gamble on improvement from him, but I'm damm well not going to overpay for that privilege.

I'm not denying that Gordon has tons of potential, but there are no guarantee's he will ever reach that potential. The NBA is littered with the careers of players that had ton's of potential that never fulfilled it. Right now, he's not Paul George or LaMarcus Aldridge. He's Aaron Gordon and his press clippings still exceed his results. Who would you rather have, Gordon or Myles Turner? Gordon is the better athlete, but I could argue that Turner is the better player, and is in his third year in the league. Why not wait a year when Turner is a restricted free agent and when we'll have a lot of capspace. And who knows, maybe after next year, Turner will actually look like a max contract player.
Well I won't disagree. Max contracts can be extremely risky investments. With RFA, it's extremely hard to sign a young talented player without their team matching. Here's my line of thinking. Let's say Gordon is worth 19mpy to Orlando, why not give him an extra 5mpy to see him on our team instead? It's rare that players as talented and full of potential as Gordon could be available after their rookie contract expires. In this year's FA, here are realistic targets who we can get, if we offer a ton of money: Gordon, LaVine, and Parker.
All 3 players has flaws in them. Gordon might never be a "go-to" scorer. LaVine hasn't played the same since his ACL, maybe he was a bad player putting up big numbers on a losing team last year. Parker has never played anywhere close to a healthy season, and when he has, he hasn't looked like a "go-to" scorer. However, all 3 have something in common. There's a chance, maybe a slim chance, but still a chance that all 3 could be franchise-altering players. (I don't think Parker will get the max. maybe something like 3years 50mil)

With the Kings, I'd be ok with them taking the risk on these players. Why? Well because I think their ages and timeline all fit with the Kings' players. Even though all 3 would be approaching their 5th season, I believe that they can still grow and develop along with Fox.

Well think about it this way too. We gave Hill and Randolph a combined $32million/year (for 2 years). Wouldn't you rather spend $24million/year on a 23yearold player full of talent instead? The Kings will have money...so why not swing for the fences?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Gordon is worth the max. He’s 23. Easily a 20 plus 10 player next year. Quick, Athletic, and has expanded his game to the 3. He’s a great fit for the fast paced offense the Kings want to run. Bogi, Hield, Fox, and Gordon would be super exciting. Randle would be a Joerger choice. Since, he’s so in love with Randolph. Randle would be similar.
In the same way the Kings offered the max to Otto Porter, they will likely do the same with another young player. The question now remains whos it gonna be? It could be Gordon or it could be Randle or it could be someone else. If they are going to offer big money, I'd like and hope that it would be Julius. He doesn't have a three point shot but he is a double double machine, he would fit here with what Joerger wants to build and that's grit basketball

Well I won't disagree. Max contracts can be extremely risky investments. With RFA, it's extremely hard to sign a young talented player without their team matching. Here's my line of thinking. Let's say Gordon is worth 19mpy to Orlando, why not give him an extra 5mpy to see him on our team instead? It's rare that players as talented and full of potential as Gordon could be available after their rookie contract expires. In this year's FA, here are realistic targets who we can get, if we offer a ton of money: Gordon, LaVine, and Parker.
All 3 players has flaws in them. Gordon might never be a "go-to" scorer. LaVine hasn't played the same since his ACL, maybe he was a bad player putting up big numbers on a losing team last year. Parker has never played anywhere close to a healthy season, and when he has, he hasn't looked like a "go-to" scorer. However, all 3 have something in common. There's a chance, maybe a slim chance, but still a chance that all 3 could be franchise-altering players. (I don't think Parker will get the max. maybe something like 3years 50mil)

With the Kings, I'd be ok with them taking the risk on these players. Why? Well because I think their ages and timeline all fit with the Kings' players. Even though all 3 would be approaching their 5th season, I believe that they can still grow and develop along with Fox.

Well think about it this way too. We gave Hill and Randolph a combined $32million/year (for 2 years). Wouldn't you rather spend $24million/year on a 23yearold player full of talent instead? The Kings will have money...so why not swing for the fences?
From the few games of seen Gordon versus Parker Lavine and Randle, and weighing player upside with injury concern, if we are offering big money i think Gordon pretty easily is the better player to have sign that contract.
That said, at the right price and contract structure these other guys could be solid pickups...but if we are rolling the dice with big MAX level contract, i think Gordon is the ONLY one of these guys id be ok with

The only RFA worth the max is Jokic in a S&T. If we’re overspending for a youngish player and hoping he can emerge here, I’d rather just splurge on Favors. Favors will at least live up to most of his contract, and not turn our wage scale upside down. One must consider the impact in the locker room of paying a guy like Gordon the max, and you can’t even run the offense through him or count on him to close games. That stuff creates factions quickly.

The only RFA worth the max is Jokic in a S&T. If we’re overspending for a youngish player and hoping he can emerge here, I’d rather just splurge on Favors. Favors will at least live up to most of his contract, and not turn our wage scale upside down. One must consider the impact in the locker room of paying a guy like Gordon the max, and you can’t even run the offense through him or count on him to close games. That stuff creates factions quickly.

I can tell by your comments, You don’t watch Any Orlando games. I live in South Florida and I have watched this kid for years. First off, Orlando has misused Gordon hideously. Playing at the 3 a lot over the past few years. He’s a natural 4, not a 3. He’s 23, not 25, not 30. He still has not hit his ceiling.
Gordon has become incrementally better each and every year. Has now added the 3 to his game. Which, he is shooting at almost 40 percent this year. Lastly, he’s better than any current player on the Kings roster currently.
It’s not even debatable. In regards to Favors.
Favors? Are you kidding me? He would be a disaster and a waste of money. But, yes you’re speaking Vlade’s language. Kings will over pay him and he’ll be a bust here. Favors looks half way decent in Utah because of the system. The Jazz are a half court/defensive minded team that plays to Favors strengths. He’s not fast, athletic, or runs he floor particularly well.

Jokic gives extremely poor effort on defense. I don't feel like a Mike Malone team should be struggling on D...but here they are.

He's still a max player, but his defense is one of the worst in the league at C.

In the same way the Kings offered the max to Otto Porter, they will likely do the same with another young player. The question now remains whos it gonna be? It could be Gordon or it could be Randle or it could be someone else. If they are going to offer big money, I'd like and hope that it would be Julius. He doesn't have a three point shot but he is a double double machine, he would fit here with what Joerger wants to build and that's grit basketball
Apparently Randle was working on three point shooting in the summer. It is also worth noting that the Lakers don't have him shooting three pointers with any regularity. He's averaging less than one per game. So maybe in the right situation he might be able to hit them at an acceptable rate?

Paul Millsap rarely shot three pointers in Utah, yet in Atlanta and now Denver he does take three pointers and he's them at an acceptable percentage.

Of the two, Gordon and Randle, I think the more likely player to get is Randle because the Lakers will want to try and maximise their cap space. Orlando should match unless they draft Porter or Bagley, then try to do a sign and trade with us.

There is a player nobody mentions in free agency, but I would not be surprised if Vlade tries to get him. He is called Nemanja Bjelica from Timberwolves.

He came to NBA as an MVP of a Euroleague, but since then he really struggled with injuries and his character that he is not too aggressive. He is a team first player, stretch four or a three, when he was younger he played even as a point guard. Really unselfish player who makes shots in high percentage, does not take bad shots, good rebounder and good passer. He would give Kings a lot of those small things that can be game changer, really an X factor type of player.

His value was really low, but since Jimmy Butler got injured, he took a starting small forward spot and plays really good, even scored 30 against Boston.

His age is a small concern, as he is 30 this year, and that does not go with Kings young core, but again he is such a valuable team player, that I wouldn't be surprised if Vlade tries to sign him.
I think Timberwolves really do not know how to use him. He is averaging 12.6 pts 8 reb 2.5 ast on 49/44/80 in March (48/43/82 for the season). Definitely not taking enough shots. He would be the best rebounder and 3 pt shooter on the Kings if he joined :).

Jokic gives extremely poor effort on defense. I don't feel like a Mike Malone team should be struggling on D...but here they are.

He's still a max player, but his defense is one of the worst in the league at C.
Defense is poor but not because of effort. He just physically isn't fast in tight spaces and isn't an athletic leaper. He does have quick hands as evident by his high steal rate and defensive rebounding %. It also doesn't help that Jamal Murray and Will Barton play matador defense so Jokic routinely has to be the last line of defense against very fast guards and wings that force him to step out.

If the Kings don't get a Small Forward at the top of the draft, I would target Rodney Hood.

He is still on the young side, 25 years old, and has proven to be a capable scorer in the league.

The Cavs are way over the cap next year and not many teams have money to spend, I think we could possibly get him with a good contract offer.

If the Kings don't get a Small Forward at the top of the draft, I would target Rodney Hood.

He is still on the young side, 25 years old, and has proven to be a capable scorer in the league.

The Cavs are way over the cap next year and not many teams have money to spend, I think we could possibly get him with a good contract offer.
I'm not sure what to make of Hood, is he a SF or more suited as a SG. Hes 6' 8" but some of that is his uberlong neck, and his wingspan is not impressive. Still he's young, probably still improving and maybe a good FA target?? Maybe I need to watch him more.

Last edited:

I think he is a very underrated target for us. People seem to be overlooking the fact that Dave Joerger is a huge Hood fan. His downfall in Memphis started when he was pushing the front office to draft Hood and ignored him.

I suspect that Hood and Randle will be on top of the Kings shopping list come FA. Who becomes the #1 target depends on what happens in the draft.

I'm not sure what to make of Hood, is he a SF or more suited as a SG. Hes 6" 8" but some of that is his uberlong neck, and his wingspan is not impressive. Still he's young, probably still improving and maybe a good FA target?? Maybe I need to watch him more.
FYI, he is not being properly utilized in Cleveland. Which is also a reason, I can see him leaving the Cavs in the summer as a free agent.

He was playing good ball in Utah, before he was traded. If we get Utah's Rodney Hood, he would be a good fit for the Kings, if we don't draft a SF.