Players that I would target with the 9th pick:

Idk if I’d even wanna have a beer with a fan who can’t see Moodys talent
Really? Words about hoops are that impactful, ehh?

Diversity of opinion is a strength and the ability to convert online convos to real life beers is an often under exercised opportunity. Some of my coolest Kings friends are folks, who I have had beers with after online convos.

But do you.

Diversity of opinion is a strength and the ability to convert online convos to real life beers is an often under exercised opportunity. Some of my coolest Kings friends are folks, who I have had beers with after online convos.

But do you.
I’ll gladly drink your beer. I’m just not convinced which player will have the more impactful rookie season.

But do you.
I was just pulling your leg man, I’m a big believer in Moody so just throwing my support behind hjm

Moving out if Cali, so this part might be a bit difficult, but if we ever could link up, I'd be down.

So end of the season we put up a poll, Moody vs Bouknight. We can make a case in the thread and let KF decide the better rookie. Winner gets to decide which charity the $100 goes to.

Sound good? Booked?
This seems like a lot harder to justify vs the other charity bet. You have to factor in whoever drafting them giving them pt and them taking advantage of it. But it’s all for charity so hope it’s a good contest. Especially if one of those guys were drafted by the kings.

Role and fit may play a big part in whether Bouknight or Moody have a better rookie season.

Looking at the rosters of the teams in the lottery I think Moody has a chance to be a day one starter for a number of them. Bouknight is a bit tougher. As presently constructed there are a few teams where he'd very likely come off the bench, Kings included.

And until he improves his decision making and playmaking I think he'll likely start off as a bench scorer though I think he has considerably more long term upside because of his ball handling, shiftiness, and ability to score at all three levels.

Moody currently struggles to finish at the basket which may limit how much of a go to scorer he can develop into.

This seems like a lot harder to justify vs the other charity bet. You have to factor in whoever drafting them giving them pt and them taking advantage of it. But it’s all for charity so hope it’s a good contest. Especially if one of those guys were drafted by the kings.
possibly, but it's all for fun anyway and a good chance for KBO2 to put a little coin behind is Bouknight love :)

He thinks Bouknight is a legit stud, so if he's good, he should be a key rotation player from day 1. I think Moody is exactly that as well. Will be fun to track at any rate

If Johnson is BPA, draft him. It’s legal in CA and hope Fox and Hali’s maturity rubs off on him.
Ehh idk did Fox and Hali’s maturity rub off on Marvin or Buddy? I don’t see the need to gamble on another strong personality when there are plenty of other options available with a good head on their shoulders like Moody Or Kai Jones

Ehh idk did Fox and Hali’s maturity rub off on Marvin or Buddy? I don’t see the need to gamble on another strong personality when there are plenty of other options available with a good head on their shoulders like Moody Or Kai Jones
Buddy isn’t immature. He’s a flawed player with a flawed perspective of his best role.

Marvin? Hard to influence a dude, whose family has him in a bubble.

Bet on BPA each and every time.

So Jalen Johnson is the type of player that gets coaches fired um …
I don’t know, watching his clips he looks like a great prospect and team fit. Listening to him interview not so impressed.
I suppose Monte and crew will be a good judge as to rather or not he’s worth the investment.

If Johnson is BPA, draft him. It’s legal in CA and hope Fox and Hali’s maturity rubs off on him.
I don't necessarily disagree but poor motor is not what I want to hear from a former coach. He wasn't dominant in college, didn't finish off the year with the team, has a poor motor according to someone who has worked with him and doesn't have an elite skill. Another bet on size and athleticism pick.

Buddy isn’t immature. He’s a flawed player with a flawed perspective of his best role.

Marvin? Hard to influence a dude, whose family has him in a bubble.

Bet on BPA each and every time.
I would absolutely argue Buddy is an immature player, time will tell if that remains the case but you can absolutely make a case for Buddy being immature with his track record. This is the same guy who wouldn’t accept a bench role even though he was actually excelling in that role a couple years ago.

He’s been very open about wanting to be paid and openly trashed Sac to the media bringing up our history with free agents to get his way and the shots he takes are not always smart team friendly shots, doesn’t know how to play team defense etc. Can you honestly say that he’s one of the more mature players on the team? For his age you can absolutely make the argument he is an immature player that’s just my honest opinion

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree but poor motor is not what I want to hear from a former coach. He wasn't dominant in college, didn't finish off the year with the team, has a poor motor according to someone who has worked with him and doesn't have an elite skill. Another bet on size and athleticism pick.
If you’re one of the teams in the 15-20 range and Johnson is still sitting there absolutely you take the chance on him but for a team like us that has a poor track record of developing players and needs to get better desperately I’m not sure that is a chance you can take him at 9

dude12

Hall of Famer
If it came down to it
Moody over Jalen Johnson and Wagner
Wagner and most everyone else over Kispert
Giddey or Moody is a good question on which guy would the Kings take.
I think Kispert will not pan out.
I’ve heard too many things on Jalen Johnson now that I would be scared off.

A million dollar question is what do the Kings do if Kuminga falls because I think if anyone falls, it’s going to be Kuminga. There are enough people starting to question certain aspects on Kuminga that he makes me nervous.

A good 3 and D wing…..full sized wing or one with length would be awesome to come away with from this draft. You can swing for the fences with a Jalen Johnson but you may come up empty. Take the standup double with Moody and he fits a gigantic need.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Moody really gives me John Salmons vibes. Solid all around, not particularly athletic. Similar size and skillset. That's not necessarily a criticism, as Salmons was solid in his prime. Hopefully he can surpass that if he is the pick, but something about him just worries me. He doesn't do anything really well. He is only 18 and has a good foundation, so maybe I'm being pessimistic on him. I can't put my finger on it.
There was a national writer last year that said the exact same thing about Haliburton.

Yeah, Moody is a little bit like John Salmons. I think that's a decent comparison. The thing that makes it different is era. Imagine John Salmons with a better 3 ball coming into the league now? Yeah, that's an easy top 10 pick with his slashing ability and his ability to switch in todays smaller game.

I would absolutely argue Buddy is an immature player, time will tell if that remains the case but you can absolutely make a case for Buddy being immature with his track record.

He’s been very open about wanting to be paid and openly trashed Sac to the media bringing up our history with free agents to get his way and the shots he takes are not always smart team friendly shots, doesn’t know how to play team defense etc. Can you honestly say that he’s one of the more mature players on the team? For his age you can absolutely make the argument he is an immature player that’s just my honest opinion
I actually think both his hoops and real life IQ is low. It’s mean, but a lot of the things that he says and does are just head scratchers. Immaturity, to me, is not working on his game, not treating the game as a profession, getting out of shape, doing dumb things like partying and driving drunk. Like the players who get busted for driving drunk, they’re extreme outliers in professional sports, because many have a condo (second residence) near the arena, access to conscierge services, Uber/Lyft, a designated DD.

I actually think both his hoops and real life IQ is low. It’s mean, but a lot of the things that he says and does are just head scratchers. Immaturity, to me, is not working on his game, not treating the game as a profession, getting out of shape, doing dumb things like partying and driving drunk. Like the players who get busted for driving drunk, they’re extreme outliers in professional sports, because many have a condo (second residence) near the arena, access to conscierge services, Uber/Lyft, a designated DD.
In that sense you’re definitely right, for all of Buddy’s blemishes he sure does have some redeeming qualities as well like he shows up often (rarely misses games) and by all accounts within the organization; is an absolute work horse and genuinely wants to get better and puts the work in. I’m not here to bash Buddy I guess I’d just like to see more players with the personality of Fox and Hali on the team and less Buddy’s and Bagleys who seem to be more ego driven and worried about themselves over the teams interests

I enjoyed this take on Sengun, which also had good discussion of bigs in the NBA. Link

There is not one type of center that represents what success is. The issue with the modern discourse on centers has always been one of misunderstanding. The issues with drafting or paying centers has never been the stars or even the sub-stars, but more the fringe starter/bench centers. However, there is a specific issue here; centers can limit team building in a way players at other positions don’t.

Loving Kai Jones more and more as I get into more film. Still hesitant to spend expensive draft capital on bigs, but his athleticism is truly special and there's definite rim running possibilities here with Fox/Hali. And the potential to unlock Bagley if he can be a "unicorn" as a rim protector and floor spacer.
Kai Jones is up there with Kuminga as far as prospects that scare me. Elite measureables and sky high potential but also high odds of busting.

Loving Kai Jones more and more as I get into more film. Still hesitant to spend expensive draft capital on bigs, but his athleticism is truly special and there's definite rim running possibilities here with Fox/Hali. And the potential to unlock Bagley if he can be a "unicorn" as a rim protector and floor spacer.
Remember that Kai Jones didn't start playing basketball until he was 15. He was a track star and then went through a big growth spurt.

Kai Jones is up there with Kuminga as far as prospects that scare me. Elite measureables and sky high potential but also high odds of busting.
Agreed. AND, related to that, it'd be really nice too have someone (like Ty, unlike Bags) you're confident won't hurt you on his way to greatness (if greatness lies in his future).