Peace Out Wells ...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
plus Martin made one of the most clutch shots ever against the spurs??? thats a fact
I don't know if I'd call it clutch as much as luck. Just like Brent Barry's shot, Kevin's shot had every reason NOT to go in, but it went in anyway...

I'm not complaining, mind you, but I think there's a difference between a clutch shot - ala Mike Bibby at one than one occasion - and Kevin's heart-stopping last second "Hail Mary" effort.

R

Rome

If bonzi does leave I will truly miss what he brings to the playoffs. Toughness, energy, rebounding and defense.

over big Timmy with time running out ... hmm ... true Bibby is clutch... but wow Martin has got some nerves ... Peja would at best hit the side of the back board with a wide open 3... is there a difference between bibby and martin??? NO i think some guys got it some dont... the only difference is only in years and chances... Martins numbers with wells out ... make it a tad better a tad more consistent... hes a stud...

and its a fact the Kings are taking a real hard look at getting Ariza so ... TA DA...

guess the Kings are feeling kinda the same way I am bout Wells future with the Kings... look at what kind of numbers Martin put up when Wells went down ... the whole league knows about this kid now... and its not cause hes gonna just be OK as a starter ... hes gonna be a out right stud... umm if his numbers got a tad more consistent and a tad better... wow thats not just an OK player..

this is the NBA guys... hes the real deal...

i wont be mad if Wells resigns i wanted the kings to keep him right out the gate into the offseason but i am starting to come down from the playoff high and think that adding a defensive big is the most important thing we need and that we could really use more 3pt range out on the floor ... instead of Wells post play..

Artest is more than capable of crushing fools and with another 3pt threat out there with Bibby teams will get punished if they double Artest... " LET IT RAIN! "
yeah thats all ... " LET IT RAIN ! "

Right now, our need is not a SG. It's a defensive big. Resigning Bonzi would limit your choices.

This is not about Bonzi + Kevin vs just Kevin, but Bonzi + Kevin + Mediocre Big vs Kevin + Solid Big.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
over big Timmy with time running out ... hmm ... true Bibby is clutch... but wow Martin has got some nerves ... Peja would at best hit the side of the back board with a wide open 3... is there a difference between bibby and martin??? NO i think some guys got it some dont... the only difference is only in years and chances... Martins numbers with wells out ... make it a tad better a tad more consistent... hes a stud...
Once again, I find myself laughing because - being new to this forum - you have no idea of who you're talking to. You're preaching to the choir about Kevin. :)

His shot was still just as much luck as anything else. Had it not gone in, no one would have thought any the less about him because it was close to an impossible shot - especially when you add the distance he traveled to even get there in the first place.

I have the utmost faith in Kevin and his future in this league AND in the uniform of the Sacramento Kings. But, having said that, I'm not going to make him into some kind of mythic figure. The real skill in that play was getting down the court and being in position to take Bibby's pass. Once he did that, he showed courage and heart in going right at Duncan. Puttting the shot up was a crap shoot. It was LUCK - and thanks to whatever deity you believe in - that it went in.

;)

Were seeing (not really seeing but you know what I mean) the big angry Bonzi Wells that nobody likes. He can put on a smile and say the right things to the camera but he is holding out on us. Had a higher offer from another team came in his value would be higher. But we are the team setting his value and there are no teams that will out bid us.

I think the same thing happened with Bibby, after we signed him for $80 mil the Maloofs said oh ****, we could have signed him for way less. I think they have learned from that.

But back to the point, can he even come back to Kings now, after all of this time. If he does come back he'll feel like he was undercut and had no choice but to return. If he goes somewhere else as a FA he will likely be making the exception which is less than what we are offering, correct? I don't know, I can't seeing him coming back, if he was going to accept the offer he would have done it by now.

Maybe he'll end up going to New Orleans.

Bonzi does have to make the decision now or very soon..this is driving everyone crazy. Right, we don't want a Bonzi thinking he was underpaid for 3-5 years. I would hope he'd make a statement soon and try to have some respect for the Kings fans that were chanting his name so load at Arco. This whole thing has been disappointing, if a lot of it is his agent...who cares, he needs to step up and set things straight. We gave the 1st offer and we have the highest one, he said it's in the organizations hands that he wants to retire here...bla bla bla...well then just sign the contract and let's move on already. :rolleyes:

Once again, I find myself laughing because - being new to this forum - you have no idea of who you're talking to. You're preaching to the choir about Kevin. :)

His shot was still just as much luck as anything else. Had it not gone in, no one would have thought any the less about him because it was close to an impossible shot - especially when you add the distance he traveled to even get there in the first place.

I have the utmost faith in Kevin and his future in this league AND in the uniform of the Sacramento Kings. But, having said that, I'm not going to make him into some kind of mythic figure. The real skill in that play was getting down the court and being in position to take Bibby's pass. Once he did that, he showed courage and heart in going right at Duncan. Puttting the shot up was a crap shoot. It was LUCK - and thanks to whatever deity you believe in - that it went in.

;)
Whether or not it was luck, you don't call someone a "clutch shooter" because they squeezed in a difficult shot at the end of one game. they earn that distinction over time, and not just on end of the game shots, but shots down the stretch that count.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
plus Martin made one of the most clutch shots ever against the spurs??? thats a fact
Um...it was a layup. On a broken play. Where somebody else got the steal. Nice play, but how many open court layups have you heard referred to as all time great clutch "shots"?

We just don't know with Kevin on that front. Next time we get a huge steal followed by a wild open court race down the court to suddenly win a playoff game, hey, Kevin's the man I will look up. However, that's not terribly useful.

Would not terribly surprise me if Kevin ends up having some clutch in him, but as usual those with stars in their eyes are getting considerably ahead of themselves.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
FYI, not that it means much, but this is what Ric Bucher had to say about Bonzi in his chat:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12331

Robert, CA: Ric, please a Kings question for once.What's wrong with Bonzi Wells? His he going to remain a King or is he going somewhere else?

SportsNation Ric Bucher: (5:06 PM ET ) I hear he is. No rush to get it done now, though, unless he has a car payment due or something.

Um...it was a layup. On a broken play. Where somebody else got the steal. Nice play, but how many open court layups have you heard referred to as all time great clutch "shots"?

We just don't know with Kevin on that front. Next time we get a huge steal followed by a wild open court race down the court to suddenly win a playoff game, hey, Kevin's the man I will look up. However, that's not terribly useful.

Would not terribly surprise me if Kevin ends up having some clutch in him, but as usual those with stars in their eyes are getting considerably ahead of themselves.
I agree partly and I'm not about to call Kevin completely undeniably clutch, but there was more to that play than Kevin just making a wild layup. He had the presence of mind to streak downcourt as soon as the ball was poked away and was able to get a really good look off (all you can ask really) with Duncan all over him. A lot more than a lucky bounce went into that play -- if he was tight or nervous at all he might not have gotten it done.

Kevins shot was way more impressive than Bibbys in the fact that Kevins was a buzzer beater, and Bibbys was not. Infact when Webb set that pick for Bibby he was wide open nobody was withing 3-5 ft of him, if he couldn't make that shot wide open with like 3-5 seconds left then he is pathetic. So because Bibby made one shot that won a game he got a bloated 7yr 80 mill contract, that has him being payed more than nash, arenas, parker, billups etc. Look at Bibbys playoff performance since game 5 of that series in 01-02, not anything to describe as clutch. Kevins shot was amazing as he raced down court less than 3 seconds on the clock throws up a wild layup with 7'0 all star duncans arms outstretched, only to watch it bounce around 2-3 times b4 it finally settled in the basket. Way more exciting than watching a guy hit a wide open jumpshot with like 3-5 seconds left.

Last edited:
Kevins shot was way more impressive than Bibbys in the fact that Kevins was a buzzer beater, and Bibbys was not. Infact when Webb set that pick for Bibby he was wide open nobody was withing 3-5 ft of him, if he couldn't make that shot wide open with like 3-5 seconds left then he is pathetic. So because Bibby made one shot that won a game he got a bloated 7yr 80 mill contract, that has him being payed more than nash, arenas, parker, billups etc. Look at Bibbys playoff performance since game 5 of that series in 01-02, not anything to describe as clutch. Kevins shot was amazing as he raced down court less than 3 seconds on the clock throws up a wild layup with 7'0 all star duncans arms outstretched, only to watch it bounce around 2-3 times b4 it finally settled in the basket. Way more exciting than watching a guy hit a wide open jumpshot with like 3-5 seconds left.
I wouldn't go that far. That was a huge, huge shot. The stakes were insanely higher than Kevin's. Bibby didn't get a contract based on that shot, he got his contract because he single-handedly destroyed the Lakers and was the only Kings player who didn't look completely petrified when the game was on the line.

Except, of course, the steal that led to Kevin's layup.

Originally Posted by Kings2805

'

To say Mike BIbby hasn't hit any game winners, buzzer beaters or made any clutch plays since the 01-02 playoffs is absolute and complete crap.

I loved Kevin's shot, but Bibby's was weighted with the freight of way more expectation and was in a conference final. Not to mention Kevin himself said he just threw it up in the general direction of the basket and was expecting a foul call. Fortunately, it dropped and we didn't have to find out if the refs would or wouldn't have called a foul. My guess is the wouldn't have.

'[/i]

To say Mike BIbby hasn't hit any game winners, buzzer beaters or made any clutch plays since the 01-02 playoffs is absolute and complete crap.

I said his PLAYOFF PERFORMANCE SINCE THAT series, I had to capitalize it so that way you know I meant playoff, not regular season. Bibby had a good series, was clutch against the Lakers even though we lost, and received an outrageous contract for it. I am sorry what series has Bibby stepped up in since that series 4 years ago? Sucked against the spurs, against the sonics, was widly inconsistent against the T wolves the year b4 that, and got outplayed by nash the year b4 that when Webber got hurt. Don't get mad, I just feel bibby is overpaid, and hasn't done crap since that series, and has a reputation as a result of that series.

Bibby's struggled in the playoffs the last two seasons because of the other teams defense, and Bibby not having a back-up since February 2004, thus having to play a lot of minutes.

Bibby's struggled in the playoffs the last two seasons because of the other teams defense, and Bibby not having a back-up since February 2004, thus having to play a lot of minutes.
Er, you're referring to the lockdown powers of Luke Ridnour and Tony Parker?

Antonio Daniels and Bruce Bowen. I'm saying that, along with the no-back-up-thus-lots-of-minutes deal, has clearly effected him. Bibby had a good game 3, and game 5 in the Sonics series.

Latrell Sprewell gave him troubles in the Wolves series as well, I remember they made that adjustment after 2 or 3 games... he wasn't as bad there as in the Sonics series, and was below good in the Spurs series.

Last edited:
Antonio Daniels and Bruce Bowen. I'm saying that, along with the no-back-up-thus-lots-of-minutes deal, has clearly effected him. Bibby had a good game 3, and game 5 in the Sonics series.

Latrell Sprewell gave him troubles in the Wolves series as well, I remember they made that adjustment after 2 or 3 games... he wasn't as bad there as in the Sonics series, and was below good in the Spurs series.
I just don't think it's an excuse. Everyone plays against good defense in the playoffs, but basically only Bibby gets excuses made for him. Yeah, Bibby's played a lot of minutes the past couple of seasons, but he was guarded most of the time in the last two series by Ridnour and Parker and he still was terrible. And he played terrible defense. I don't think it's defensible -- he's just been bad.