Paris Olympics 2024

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is a generic thread for discussion of the 2024 Paris Olympics. I've set up separate threads for basketball (this is a basketball forum!!). I assume that barring some unforeseen events (and possibly women's soccer) that pretty much all the other sports should fit nicely here. If there is need for another thread for other specific events, we'll make one!

Personally i will try to watch as much as possible from it in 80-% of the sports …
We have hopes in Rytmic gymnastic , wrestling , boxing and one almost sure title in heavy lifting…
P.S. having a title in the games for us is something huge , normally we are happy with finals (top 8/10 in most individual sports ) :)

dude12

Hall of Famer
I try to watch as much as possible. I do enjoy how the athletes stories get packaged at times. I do like the swimming events, track and field sprints, women’s gymnastics not so much the men’s gymnastics, hoops, and all the smaller less publicized sports that have great competition

Artistic women’s gymnastics, men’s basketball, beach volleyball, surfing, triathlon, swimming.

Next year I’ll add lacrosse and flag football to the list.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'll probably catch some various stuff here and there, especially as my wife will probably have it on a lot (she's a teacher and doesn't go back to the classroom for a few more weeks). But I probably won't make an "effort" to see anything in particular unless USA is in a gold medal round or something.

I do have a friend who is going to Paris with his GF soon as she got tix a while back to go watch the horses (she loves horses, he is more ambivalent about them). She got the tix with some girlfriends before they were together, so he doesn't have to go sit through Olympic dressage but still gets the trip to England and Paris. Not a bad gig if you can get it. Not sure I'd want to be in Paris with all the additional crowds on top of the normal tourists, but it should still be a very cool environment to be in (Olympics in Paris!).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'll probably catch some various stuff here and there, especially as my wife will probably have it on a lot (she's a teacher and doesn't go back to the classroom for a few more weeks). But I probably won't make an "effort" to see anything in particular unless USA is in a gold medal round or something.

I do have a friend who is going to Paris with his GF soon as she got tix a while back to go watch the horses (she loves horses, he is more ambivalent about them). She got the tix with some girlfriends before they were together, so he doesn't have to go sit through Olympic dressage but still gets the trip to England and Paris. Not a bad gig if you can get it. Not sure I'd want to be in Paris with all the additional crowds on top of the normal tourists, but it should still be a very cool environment to be in (Olympics in Paris!).
if you think Paris and its tourists is going to be a crowd, just you wait until the next round of Olmypics in 2028 -_-

Japan’s artistic women’s gymnastics team captain, Shoko Miyata, has been sent home for violating their code of conduct. Namely, she left camp to party in Monaco.

Going forward with 4 gymnasts instead of 5 (why they’re not using an alternate I don’t know). They were a dark horse to medal.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Japan’s artistic women’s gymnastics team captain, Shoko Miyata, has been sent home for violating their code of conduct. Namely, she left camp to party in Monaco.

Going forward with 4 gymnasts instead of 5 (why they’re not using an alternate I don’t know). They were a dark horse to medal.
Man, you spend all that time and effort and sacrifice to get to this point and then let a poor decision ruin it

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
what are some of the events you are all looking forward to, other than basketball?
As anyone who has ever bothered to glance through the SPOARTS CTDWAT can easily guess, the Summer Games are my jam, particularly Athletics and Aquatics (sans diving and "artistic swimming") events. I also expect to be tapped into wrestling, judo, boxing, fencing, archery, weightlifting and handball, as well as any sport in which Team USA is expected to medal (which likely means I will end up watching most of the women's team events, since we dominate most of those).

Nice short vid Paris accepting the baton from Tokyo just after the last Olympics. Btw, after Paris the next summer Olympic games are in Los Angeles.

As anyone who has ever bothered to glance through the SPOARTS CTDWAT can easily guess, the Summer Games are my jam, particularly Athletics and Aquatics (sans diving and "artistic swimming") events. I also expect to be tapped into wrestling, judo, boxing, fencing, archery, weightlifting and handball, as well as any sport in which Team USA is expected to medal (which likely means I will end up watching most of the women's team events, since we dominate most of those).
if you follow Water Polo let me know and I can provide whatever context you want.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
yeah I'm with you on the boxing, judo and weightlifting parts. US has no chance in two out of the three, maybe boxing but even that, I have to see who the competitors are

what are some of the events you are all looking forward to, other than basketball?
I realized that I never actually responded to this...

Oh boy, don't even get me started!!! I absolutely LOVE Olympic coverage. I will record as much as my heart desires, and as much as my DVR can handle.

While I enjoy the primetime coverage, which pretty much encompasses those events in which we are dominant, it's actually the other stuff (i.e. whatever is broadcasted during the day) that actually excites me the most. It's the events that we don't really know a whole lot about because it's pretty much popular anywhere and everywhere outside of our borders.

As for specific events: Swimming, Diving, Track and Field, Badminton, Handball, Indoor Volleyball (Women's, not so much men's), Beach Volleyball, Rowing, Water Polo, Hockey (yes, even field).

This year, I might catch some Rugby and Soccer matches, but not sure if they will be as often as any of the events I've mentioned above.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Oh boy, don't even get me started!!! I absolutely LOVE Olympic coverage. I will record as much as my heart desires, and as much as my DVR can handle.

While I enjoy the primetime coverage, which pretty much encompasses those events in which we are dominant, it's actually the other stuff (i.e. whatever is broadcasted during the day) that actually excites me the most. It's the events that we don't really know a whole lot about because it's pretty much popular anywhere and everywhere outside of our borders.

As for specific events: Swimming, Diving, Track and Field, Badminton, Handball, Indoor Volleyball (Women's, not so much men's), Beach Volleyball, Rowing, Water Polo, Hockey (yes, even field).

This year, I might catch some Rugby and Soccer matches, but not sure if they will be as often as any of the events I've mentioned above.
thats a whole lot of TV time for you if you are going to watch all those

for those interested in Water Polo here is the men’s tune-up match with Croatia

Since USA water polo is inept. Here are the rosters for the men’s and women’s teams and when they play you can often only see cap numbers. I put positions for men in basketball terms though Hockey terms might be more accurate.

Men:
1 - Adrian Weinberg goalie 1x
2 - Johnny Hooper starting wing 2x
3 - Marko Vavic back up wing 2x
4 - Alex Obert - back up post post defender 3x
5 - Hannes Daube 6th man 2x
6 - Luca Cupido - starting wing 3x
7 - Ben Hallock - starting post 3 x Olympian
8 - Dylan Woodhead - starting post defender 2x
9 - Alex Bowen - starting wing 3x
10 - Chase Dodd - back up wing 1x
11 - Ryder Dodd - back up wing 1x
12 - Max Irving starting wing 2x?
13 - Drew Holland goalie 2x

Women:
1 - Ashleigh Johnson
2 - Maddie Musselman
3 - Tara Prentice
4 - Rachel Fattal
5 - Jenna Flynn
6 - Maggie Steffens
7 - Jordan Raney
8 - Ryann Neushul
9 - Jewel Roemer
10 - Kaleigh Gilchrest
11 - Emily Ausmus
12 - Jovana Sekulic
13 - Amanda Longan

Water Polo Overview:

objective: get the ball over the goal line more than your opponent

offense: revolves around post player. Wings look to make an entry pass into the post player (in center of goal) or they will move the ball from side to side looking to open up a shooting lane on the goalie. If a player pulls back or sinks the opponent they can be ejected for a man advantage. This most often happens when the ball enters the post and the post either does a drop step or a layout shot.

Defense: revolves around field blocks and doubling down on post player. In a double down the post defender often puts both hands in the air to show he is not holding or sinking the post player. Field blocks out of bound becomes defender ball. Goalie block out of bounds offense ball. Field blocks try to take away a side of cage and funnel shots to the goalie.

Man advantage: player on the right side wing (facing the goal) closest to goal is the point guard. Looks to make quick dry passes to open shooters or players on the post. Good teams ball never touches the water and passes are quick forcing the defense to move. Should score 50% or more of the time.