OFFICIAL trade thread. Post trade proposals HERE! (merged)

SacTownKid said:
I take it that you are joking but I would KILL to have Earl Boykins on the team. This guy, no matter what height can play ball and would be a HUGE asset. I first saw him a couple of years ago while with the Warriors and I knew even then he was something special.
Yeah, no offense to Earl, he's good. I'm still not over Ostertag riding the pine while we got outrebounded by 18 in the clincher. In fact, I'm ready to jettison Rick because of it. Not that he's not a good coach - he is, but you just don't want to lose the same way all the time.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
This almost reminds me of the arena issue in some ways -- have to agree on the basics before we can go on. And the basics in this case are that the only NBA champion I can recall in the last 25 years (roughly my watching window) without a major shotblocking presence was the 2nd Bulls Dynasty, who only featured a 7'2" center and three former Defensive Players of the Year at the 2/3/4.

You can be good with a Miler.Boozer/Peja combo. Miller is "good" Boozer is "good" Peja is "good". But your odds of winning a title with that crew up front are very low unless you get an absolutley lockdown pair of guards. Its nto about just throwing "good" players together. They have to compliment each other. Playing team defense is good and desirable. But without defensive minded and defensively talented personnel, you're still going to be no better than middling on that end. In fact I would argue that you have to make BIGGER changes to the team to try to turn our batch of offensive-minded softies into a defesnive "team" than you do by taking a shortcut and bringing in a guy who can erase and cover up the errors and mistakes of others.

Its no coincidence that all of the elite teams this year the Spurs, Suns, Heat, Pistons, have major interior shotblocking, nor is it any coincidence that champions so often have Wallace, Duncan, Shaq etc. patrolling the middle. And when the remainder of our personnel ranges from weak to middling on defense individually, it becomes even more critical to have a big guy back there protecting the hoop. Not as if these Kings are going to throw multiple Defensive Players of the Year on the floor to lock people up with.
Basically you are telling us we can't have our cake and eat it to. As much as we like Miller's passing shooting and heart. To win a championship we need somebody down low that actually poses a threat under the basket and will bring fear in the eyes of those who come in the lane.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Entity said:
Basically you are telling us we can't have our cake and eat it to. As much as we like Miller's passing shooting and heart. To win a championship we need somebody down low that actually poses a threat under the basket and will bring fear in the eyes of those who come in the lane.
Basically. :)

Although obviously since we already have Miller here, it would seem to make more sense to try to find somebody at PF to cover for him and let us keep him.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Bartking said:
Yeah, no offense to Earl, he's good. I'm still not over Ostertag riding the pine while we got outrebounded by 18 in the clincher. In fact, I'm ready to jettison Rick because of it. Not that he's not a good coach - he is, but you just don't want to lose the same way all the time.
we always get outrebounded because 1-3 barely average 10 a game combined. We need a 2 guard that can average 7 or so a game.

Bartking said:
I am right with you on the Otag thing.

STOJAKOVIC FOR RYAN BOWEN. MOBLEY FOR STACKHOUSE. THE PEANUT VENDORS FOR YAO.

I have long since decided against recommending trades. Petrie blows my logic out of the water with his superior GM'ing every summer.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:

Although obviously since we already have Miller here, it would seem to make more sense to try to find somebody at PF to cover for him and let us keep him.
but should our agendy be covering for somebody? We already have to cover for Bibby when they walk by him so often.

I saw Earl and I thought Watson, not Boykins. I thought we should have drafted him a few years back and I think we could use him now. He's no Bobby offensively, but he's very good defensively, something we lack noticeably at the point guard position. I'd rather see a good defensive backup PG, a good defensive PF or C, and a quality scorer at either SG, PF, or C (pretty much mix and match, so long as we get tougher on the boards and on defense).

Bricklayer said:

Who do you suggest?

I am curious. I agree with everything you say about defense but our weakest defenders are also our "core". I have waited for this team to play defense for a long long time, and I am leaning more towards the fact that this team doesn't have any defensive strategy which = coaching problem.

Bricklayer

Entity said:
but should our agendy be covering for somebody? We already have to cover for Bibby when they walk by him so often.
Well, that's the thing about keeping Miller/Peja/Bibby. If you do, then the SG and PF spots are all about covering for them. In fact I'm not sure I would want one other non-defensive oriented player in the entire rotation -- as it is you already have roughly 50% of your minutes accounted for right there with guys who lack on the defense/toughness/rebounding angles. Can't afford to have any more I would think.

I like Miller, but I think we're trapped a bit with him. Barring the oft theorized miracle KG trade, he is really one of the very few big men in the whole league who we can run our offense through. But his limitations are a significant issue that really have to be taken into account when making all of our offseason moves this summer.

Entity

Hall of Famer
SacTownKid said:
Who do you suggest?

I am curious. I agree with everything you say about defense but our weakest defenders are also our "core". I have waited for this team to play defense for a long long time, and I am leaning more towards the fact that this team doesn't have any defensive strategy which = coaching problem.
Then you look a the Suns and how well they are doing with no depth and no defense at all. Head scratcher isn't it

Entity,

You oughta watch a Suns game. They play good defense except for Amare and Nash, and they have a pretty darn good bench, at least as far as hustle play and defense are concerned. With their starters, it's not like they need a ton of bench scoring, though Jim Jackson and Barbosa can fill it up.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
El Duque said:
I have long since decided against recommending trades. Petrie blows my logic out of the water with his superior GM'ing every summer.
Oh you mean like last summer when we signed Courtney Alexander and Greg Ostertag. :)

I guess he did go out and find us Maurice Evans and Matt Barnes, but still. I hope this summer isn't nearly as quiet as the last one.

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Who do you suggest?

If we are going to keep those core three, a partial plan (just an example):

C- Miller
SF- Peja
PG- Bibby

then bring back:

PG/OG- Bobby (athletic)
OG/SF- Evans (athletic, defense)
OG- Martin (athletic)
PF/C- Skinner (defense) -- 5th big man

then fill out the bench:
C/PF -- Dan Gadzuric (first big off the bench, shotblocking/rebounding))
PF/SF/C -- either Donyell Marshall or Eddie Griffin as a 6'10" combo inside/out shotblocker/rebounder/shooter
SF -- draft Hakim Warrick (potential) or Joey Graham ( more developed) (hyper-athletic SFs with bigtime defensive potential)

let go/trade: Mobley, Thomas, Tag, Corliss, House, Songaila, Daniels

So:
C- Brad Miller
PF-
SF- Peja Stojakovic
OG-
PG- Mike Bibby

6th- PG/OG 6'1" Bobby Jackson
7th- C/PF 6'11" Dan Gadzuric
8th- PF/SF 6'10" Marshall/Griffin
9th- OG/SF 6'5" Maurice Evans
10th- SF 6'7"/6'8" Graham/Warrick
11th- OG 6'7" Kevin Martin
12th- PF/C 6'9" Brian Skinner

Now obviously I have left out the two most important spots, and that gets more complex. But the above bench is the way I would want it to look -- mostly young, athletic, defensive oriented, solid size, versatile with some solid vets mixed in.

Now for the starters, just for argument:
OG: Ron Artest (defensive captain, psycho, offensive player)
PF: Nene (young, big, not great shotblocker, but with that bench good enough)

Slight problem there with not enough balls to go around amontgst the starters, and the passing isn't any better than its been barring nene blossoming. Also still doubt that there is that #1 stud in that lineup to carry you to a title. But don;t think we can get him without busting up the core. So the above plan at least makes us big, tough, athletic, a lot of defenders and yet still with a lot of offense. Best of all, it might almost be doable with a little luck

Last edited:
Entity said:
we always get outrebounded because 1-3 barely average 10 a game combined. We need a 2 guard that can average 7 or so a game.
There's really only 1 of those 2-guards in the league that averages over 7rpg and that's Lebron. There's a few more at just over six (Pierce, Josh Smith, Q, Simmons). Harpring is also over 6rpg but he is more of a 3 then a 2-guard. So basically your options are limited to Lebron, who we will never get, and Pierce, who we'd have to give the farm (Bibby and Peja or Miller and Peja) to steal away from Boston.

Bobby Simmons is an interesting guy. I'd love to get him somehow and stick him in the lineup with Peja and Bibby.

hrdboild said:
Oh you mean like last summer when we signed Courtney Alexander and Greg Ostertag. :)

I guess he did go out and find us Maurice Evans and Matt Barnes, but still. I hope this summer isn't nearly as quiet as the last one.
Well, last summer may have been an exception to the rule, but that's an interesting tack to take. Whether it be in the summer or the season, Petrie gets the right personnel for the job. This was a transitional year, so I don't fault him for not hitting real paydirt. He got moveable pieces in place, now let's see what he does with them.

Bricklayer said:
If we are going to keep those core three, a partial plan (just an example):

C- Miller
SF- Peja
PG- Bibby

then bring back:

PG/OG- Bobby (athletic)
OG/SF- Evans (athletic, defense)
OG- Martin (athletic)
PF/C- Skinner (defense) -- 5th big man

then fill out the bench:
C/PF -- Dan Gadzuric (first big off the bench, shotblocking/rebounding))
PF/SF/C -- either Donyell Marshall or Eddie Griffin as a 6'10" combo inside/out shotblocker/rebounder/shooter
SF -- draft Hakim Warrick (potential) or Joey Graham ( more developed) (hyper-athletic SFs with bigtime defensive potential)

let go/trade: Mobley, Thomas, Tag, Corliss, House, Songaila, Daniels

So:
C- Brad Miller
PF-
SF- Peja Stojakovic
OG-
PG- Mike Bibby

6th- PG/OG 6'1" Bobby Jackson
7th- C/PF 6'11" Dan Gadzuric
8th- PF/SF 6'10" Marshall/Griffin
9th- OG/SF 6'5" Maurice Evans
10th- SF 6'7"/6'8" Graham/Warrick
11th- OG 6'7" Kevin Martin
12th- PF/C 6'9" Brian Skinner

Now obviously I have left out the two most important spots, and that gets more complex. But the above bench is the way I would want it to look -- mostly young, athletic, defensive oriented, solid size, versatile with some solid vets mixed in.

Now for the starters, just for argument:
OG: Ron Artest (defensive captain, psycho, offensive player)
PF: Nene (young, big, not great shotblocker, but with that bench good enough)

Slight problem there with not enough balls to go around amontgst the starters, and the passing isn't any better than its been barring nene blossoming. Also still doubt that there is that #1 stud in that lineup to carry you to a title. But don;t think we can get him without busting up the core. So the above plan at least makes us big, tough, athletic, a lot of defenders and yet still with a lot of offense. Best of all, it might almost be doable with a little luck
Hey! You stole my offseason plan!

I was seriously going to post something comprehensive like this over the weekend when my exams are done. You are essentially right on here.

Now, the question is how we are going to package the "let go" guys to net Artest and Nene.

The Nugs crave a shooter at the 2, so a sign and trade with Cat for Nene would make sense.

As for Artest, I don't think Corliss and Thomas will do the trick, unless we agreed to take on some salary dump of theirs (Croshere?? :eek:) We may have to package Bobby too, then resign House or another cheap 2 guard.

And do you think we can split the MLE between Gadzuric and Marshall?? I figure it may take the whole thing to get Donyell. Then use the LLE for Dan the man I guess.

I really like this plan, since I was going to post it anyway. Everyone should stop posting plans, and use their energy on how we can turn Tag Corliss Thomas and Mobley into Artest and Nene.

Plus, I think with that deep of a lineup, and with better defenders, Bibby may have enough support to continue his emergence as a #1 stud to carry us when we need him and not tucker out.

Bricklayer

LPKingsFan said:
Hey! You stole my offseason plan!

I was seriously going to post something comprehensive like this over the weekend when my exams are done. You are essentially right on here.

Now, the question is how we are going to package the "let go" guys to net Artest and Nene.

The Nugs crave a shooter at the 2, so a sign and trade with Cat for Nene would make sense.

As for Artest, I don't think Corliss and Thomas will do the trick, unless we agreed to take on some salary dump of theirs (Croshere?? :eek:) We may have to package Bobby too, then resign House or another cheap 2 guard.

And do you think we can split the MLE between Gadzuric and Marshall?? I figure it may take the whole thing to get Donyell. Then use the LLE for Dan the man I guess.

I really like this plan, since I was going to post it anyway. Everyone should stop posting plans, and use their energy on how we can turn Tag Corliss Thomas and Mobley into Artest and Nene.
It was actually just an example of the sort of thing I would at least try to do if I was stuck keeping all three core guys. Do everything possible to cover up for them. But the details would require some work -- we'd have to get lucky with GMs Cat+ plan to get Artest, would have to nab one of the other big man pieces via sign and trade for one of our pieces etc. In reality, I am at least half of the opinion we should break up our not-so-big three in search of a major major player.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Nene is doable, but he's got a small salary and only Bobby J represents a desireable player with a similar salary. It may be better to wait a year when he'll become a free agent (restricted I think). As for Artest, he's not only a former defensive player of the year, he was also averaging something like 26 points per game before he was suspended. Indiana would be stupid to trade him to the Kings if they weren't getting Miller or Peja or Bibby in return.

venom_7 said:
I hope Cat resigns. I hope Tag comes back. I hope Petrie will make a strong run at KG. Heres my trade. Cuttino, Ostertag, and Kenny Thomas for Kevin Garnett and Trenton Hassel. What ya think? Salaries equal out. Now for the interest. It reminds me of the Shaq trade. Two starters, Mobley and Thomas (Odom and Butler) for Kg (Shaq) and a filler from the bench.
no offense but damn your smoking some ****. can we throw out some realistic trade threads? i don't think KG is the answer for our woes. we'd have to give up half the farm to get him. he'd make it almost impossible for us to get any other players around him. you see how he hand cuffed minny? hes making how much? like 30 mill per season right? whats the salary cap at right now? 45-50 mill? i say if you want to trade some nice pieces we should get some younger talented cheaper players in trade for our long term contracts.

things i would like to see happen this offseason.
1)trade that soft marshmallow man peja for a defensive 3
2)trade bobby jackson (not that he doesn't have heart or skill, hes injury prone and 32 -- not getting any younger)
3)package some of our expiring contracts (mobley, ostertag, jackson) and either trade for a high draft pick or a team that wants to rebuild but has 1 good player w/ 11 bad players w/ bad contracts.
4)resign mo evans (this guy is a keeper)

Bricklayer

hrdboild said:
Nene is doable, but he's got a small salary and only Bobby J represents a desireable player with a similar salary. It may be better to wait a year when he'll become a free agent (restricted I think). As for Artest, he's not only a former defensive player of the year, he was also averaging something like 26 points per game before he was suspended. Indiana would be stupid to trade him to the Kings if they weren't getting Miller or Peja or Bibby in return.
I seriously think any deals for Artest not involving Peja would have to involve Cat opting in with his contract so we could trade him, and then for other players to be added in with us taking back a worse contract or some such. It also requires Indiana to be thinking about things in a certian way:

for instance:
Mobley & Corliss (and maybe a pick or something) for Artest & Bender works. But it only works if: 1) the Pacers are disgusted with Artest and want him gone; 2) the Pacers have finally given up on Bender and his injuries and want to dump the contract; 3) Carlisle coached Corliss during his 6th man of the year season, and would love to have him back + has confidence in him. Bobby could also be a valuable piece to the Pacers, they might like to dump Croshere and his contract (who could be the poor and non defensive veriosn of Marshall/Griffin in my plan) etc.

Artest is a great player. but c'mon, i think alot of people in the forums are expecting too much improvement in characterwise in this clown, he's devastating defender, but he's a horribly unstable and immature.

Trade Thomas/Skinner and Peja(and maybe #1) for Paul Pierce.
Trade Cat(and maybe #1) for Nene and junk player to make salaries match.

Play KMart/Evans at the 2. Kmart will break out next year with time. He's a lanky guy in the Tayshaun/Doug Christie mold who has potential to defend well. good potential at the offensive side for Kmart

new Starting Five

Miller
Nene
Pierce
KMart
Bibby

Bench: Songaila, BobbyJ, Evans, BigNasty, (THomas/SKinner whoever wasn't traded), Tag

Last edited:
stevetaebo said:
Artest is a great player. but c'mon, i think alot of people in the forums are expecting too much improvement in characterwise in this clown, he's devastating defender, but he's a horribly unstable and immature.

Play KMart/Evans at the 2. Kmart will break out next year with time. He's a lanky guy in the Tayshaun/Doug Christie mold who has potential to defend well. good potential at the offensive side for Kmart

new Starting Five

Miller
Nene
Pierce
KMart
Bibby

Bench: Songaila, BobbyJ, Evans, BigNasty, (THomas/SKinner whoever wasn't traded), Tag
KG fantasies aside, I think Pierce could be an available disgrunted star if the Celts dissapoint and Walker, well, walks away from Boston with a new team. If the Celt's decide to go youth with Jefferson, letting Payton and Walker go, PP may want out too.

We used to have our Pierce trade threads before the Webb trade, now we have the pieces to make the contract discrepancy work. We just need Ainge to really want the "next Bird" really bad.

I don't know about starting Kevin though. I think the ideal would be keeping Thomas then, then go big with
Miller
Nene (or Kwame, or whatever)
Thomas
Pierce
Bibby

With their size advantage, Kenny and Pierce would be a huge leap on boards. I don't know much about PP's D, but he's always shown the heart to be the go-to guy when needed. As a SF, though, his rebounding advantage would be largely mitigated.

If we aregoing to get Nene and ARtest the only possible way I can see with out giving up our three main guys is

Trade 1

Kings.
Bobby Jackson and Tag plus 2 future 1s

Pacers
Artest

Trade2

Kings.
Cat(did not opt out or is resigned)

for
Nuggets
Nene plus cap filler

Pacers do this because they need a PG and it will also give them future cap space also a couple of draft picks do not hurt

Nuggets do this because they has been interested in a SG for sometime now plus they were also interested in Cat before.

The PRINCETON OFFENSE should be the basis for ALL trades. If a player does not fit well or cannot be molded into the PRINCETON OFFENSE because of selfish tendencies or whatever, i.e. CUTTINO MOBELY, that player should not be considered. Draft and trade personell to fit the SYSTEM that is in place.......don't try to alter the system to fit the personell. That is my very humble opinion.

hoodie said:
The PRINCETON OFFENSE should be the basis for ALL trades. If a player does not fit well or cannot be molded into the PRINCETON OFFENSE because of selfish tendencies or whatever, i.e. CUTTINO MOBELY, that player should not be considered. Draft and trade personell to fit the SYSTEM that is in place.......don't try to alter the system to fit the personell. That is my very humble opinion.

Well Petrie was been quoted in the Bee a few days ago saying that he sees the need for more defense orientated players. that just may conflict with the Princeton Offense. We will just have to see if he can find both.

Theo Ratliff (PF/C) 11.6 million 3 years remaining
he's so injury prone

Brian Skinner and Bobby Jackson for a Drew Gooden and a Erick Snow
i was thinking eric snow but he's like 32 and has a huge contract but he is a good defender and makes good decsions

I say we get Earl Boykins so that we can play ultra small ball.
y don't we just go for brevin knight. i believe he is a restricted free agent but he is old.

re

stevetaebo said:

new Starting Five

Miller
Nene
Pierce
KMart
Bibby

if you guys think Cat is selfish, you really going to hate pierce