OFFICIAL trade thread. Post trade proposals HERE! (merged)

VF21 said:
Sounds about right. I know it's gonna seem like forever... and then some.
ya know, this thread is already 21 pages long...and the 2nd round of the playoffs has just kicked off today. its gonna be a mighty long off-season.

we would have to give up way more than that for Pierce. Especially since Perkins is included. Celtics fans are very high on him and hope that he and jefferson will really amount to something in the frontcourt. I posted the following trade on reagm.com. We give up a lot, but we would have to to get a player like Pierce and Perkins. I know it's a 4-team trade, but it helps out all teams involved. There are conditions that would need to be met for the trade to make sense, and they are listed below:

This trade happens if PHX wants to get a more convential lineup with a bigger PF AND the Clippers are unable to re-sign Simmons. I know I'm going to catch heat for this, but here we go:

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Dejean Bodiroga
6-8 from Stefano Milano (Italy)
No games yet played in 2004/05

Kevin Martin
6-7 SG from Western Carolina
2.9 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 10.1 minutes

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia
20.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.1 apg in 38.4 minutes

Corliss Williamson
6-7 SF from Arkansas
10.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.9 apg in 22.0 minutes
Incoming

Paul Pierce
6-6 SF from Kansas
21.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 4.2 apg in 36.1 minutes

Kendrick Perkins
6-10 PF from Beaumont TX HS
2.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.1 minutes
Change in team outlook: -9.7 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

Boston Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Paul Pierce
6-6 SF from Kansas

Kendrick Perkins
Incoming

Kevin Martin

Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV
19.4 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 38.8 minutes
Change in team outlook: -1.8 ppg, +3.1 rpg, and -2.2 apg.

Phoenix Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV
Incoming

Elton Brand
6-8 PF from Duke
20.0 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.6 apg in 37.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

L.A. Clippers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Elton Brand
6-8 PF from Duke
Incoming

Dejean Bodiroga

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Corliss Williamson
6-7 SF from Arkansas
Change in team outlook: +10.9 ppg, -1.5 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Sacramento, Boston, Phoenix and L.A. Clippers being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento, Boston, Phoenix and L.A. Clippers had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
SAC:
PG:Bibby/B-Jax/House
SG:Mobley (if re-signed)/Evans
SF:pierce/Thomas
PF:Miller/Songaila
C:perkins?/Skinner/Tag

SAC gets a legit star in Pierce and a dynamite big man prospect in Perkins. Miller would probably start at the 5 with Thomas at the 4 until Perkins develops. Give up Corliss, K-Mart and Peja in order to get PP and Perkins, but we get a star and a lot of potential

BOS:
PG:Banks/West
SG:Davis/Martin
SF:Marion/Allen
PF:Jefferson/Walker (what happens to him???)
C:LaFrentz/Blount

BOS gets a star in Marion who rebounds and plays better D than PP. Allows for Jefferson to become a more focal point of the offense. Get much more athletic. I know there are those who think PP will never get traded, but I’ve been seeing on the Celtics boards that one player they would trade Pierce for is Marion

PHX:
PG:Nash/Barbosa
SG:Johnson/Jackson
SF:Q/FA
PF:Brand/McCarty
C:Amare/Hunter

Remember, PHX only does this trade if they want a more convential lineup. This would most likely only happen if they were destroyed by the Spurs in the WCF. Brand improves their interior defense while still allowing for a run-n-gun style. Rebounds just as well as Marion.

LAC:
PG:Livingston/Brunson
SG:Maggette/Jaric
SF:peja/Williamson
PF:Wilcox/N’Diaye
C:Kaman/Rebracca/Moore

It's actually getting a good response on realgm from fans of all teams included. Let me know what you think from a Kings' perspective. I know we give up a lot, but we finally get that "superstar" we need and a young frontcourt prospect to pair with Miller

bbb said:
we would have to give up way more than that for Pierce. Especially since Perkins is included. Celtics fans are very high on him and hope that he and jefferson will really amount to something in the frontcourt. I posted the following trade on reagm.com. We give up a lot, but we would have to to get a player like Pierce and Perkins. I know it's a 4-team trade, but it helps out all teams involved. There are conditions that would need to be met for the trade to make sense, and they are listed below:

This trade happens if PHX wants to get a more convential lineup with a bigger PF AND the Clippers are unable to re-sign Simmons. I know I'm going to catch heat for this, but here we go:

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Dejean Bodiroga

Kevin Martin

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Corliss Williamson
6-7 SF from Arkansas
Incoming

Paul Pierce
6-6 SF from Kansas

Kendrick Perkins
Change in team outlook: -9.7 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

Boston Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Paul Pierce
6-6 SF from Kansas

Kendrick Perkins
Incoming

Kevin Martin

Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV
Change in team outlook: -1.8 ppg, +3.1 rpg, and -2.2 apg.

Phoenix Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Shawn Marion
6-7 PF from UNLV
Incoming

Elton Brand
6-8 PF from Duke
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

L.A. Clippers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Elton Brand
6-8 PF from Duke
Incoming

Dejean Bodiroga

Peja Stojakovic
6-10 SF from Yugoslavia

Corliss Williamson
6-7 SF from Arkansas
Change in team outlook: +10.9 ppg, -1.5 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Sacramento, Boston, Phoenix and L.A. Clippers being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento, Boston, Phoenix and L.A. Clippers had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
SAC:
PG:Bibby/B-Jax/House
SG:Mobley (if re-signed)/Evans
SF:pierce/Thomas
PF:Miller/Songaila
C:perkins?/Skinner/Tag

SAC gets a legit star in Pierce and a dynamite big man prospect in Perkins. Miller would probably start at the 5 with Thomas at the 4 until Perkins develops. Give up Corliss, K-Mart and Peja in order to get PP and Perkins, but we get a star and a lot of potential

BOS:
PG:Banks/West
SG:Davis/Martin
SF:Marion/Allen
PF:Jefferson/Walker (what happens to him???)
C:LaFrentz/Blount

BOS gets a star in Marion who rebounds and plays better D than PP. Allows for Jefferson to become a more focal point of the offense. Get much more athletic. I know there are those who think PP will never get traded, but I’ve been seeing on the Celtics boards that one player they would trade Pierce for is Marion

PHX:
PG:Nash/Barbosa
SG:Johnson/Jackson
SF:Q/FA
PF:Brand/McCarty
C:Amare/Hunter

Remember, PHX only does this trade if they want a more convential lineup. This would most likely only happen if they were destroyed by the Spurs in the WCF. Brand improves their interior defense while still allowing for a run-n-gun style. Rebounds just as well as Marion.

LAC:
PG:Livingston/Brunson
SG:Maggette/Jaric
SF:peja/Williamson
PF:Wilcox/N’Diaye
C:Kaman/Rebracca/Moore

It's actually getting a good response on realgm from fans of all teams included. Let me know what you think from a Kings' perspective. I know we give up a lot, but we finally get that "superstar" we need and a young frontcourt prospect to pair with Miller
i'm not gonna rip on you, cuz ya put a lot of thought into this. even if the scenario seems ludicrous, the idea behind it is interesting. it plays out in my mind like this: the kings trade away a lot of their pieces to receive that major superstar (ie: kevin garnett:D:D:D) in a multi-team trade, and they fill the remaining roster slots with minimum salary players via free agency and training camp. from there, ya dont have much in the way of depth, and ya dont expect them to get far in the playoffs because of that lack of depth, but ya have something to build on for the future. i'm not advocating this idea fully, just saying it would be interesting if the kings tested it.

I think some of these are quite a bit ludicrous ... people have been playing too much NBA Live :)

I don't think we need a big change at point guard, center, or small forward. Bibby, Peja, and Brad are great and barring a great trade possibility, they probably will not move. We do need a good starting power forward and we need to figure out who is going to play SG for us. PF is no.1 on the order of business I believe.

A possibility I can see is us keeping Evans at starting SG and packaging anyone else we have for a good PF.

It's really hard to see who we can get at PF because everyone wants a PF. People that come to mind realistically are Shareef, Tyson, marshall, nene. Portland will take nearly anything for Shareef (we cant sign him as a FA, so a sign and trade must be done). Tyson might be harder to get, but we will have to pay him a load and give up a lot to get him. Marshall wouldn't be hard, and mobley for nene + stuff sounds good.

That's just my thoughts. Im sure Petrie will pull off some ridiculous trade out of his butt.

Sorry, but I'm gonna vent a little.

I love how the Kings play with Bibby, Brad and Peja. Our offense is poetry in motion when working well and there is no other team I would rather watch in person or on TV than the Kings. We play basketball the way it is supposed to be played, at least on the offensive end of the court. I have been a big proponent of trading Peja or Brad or even Bibby for a true "SUPERSTAR." However, I don't want to lose the way we play basketball.

I would only trade one of the "big three" if we got a legit superstar in return or a "can't miss prospect" (maybe it's just me, but I love Josh Smith from the hawks) along with a defensive stopper at the 2/4 positions and "quasi-star" at the other spot. On one hand, I don't want to lose the beauty of our offense. On the other hand, I realize that I want to win a championship and not simply "come close" every year. With our roster as it currently stands, I don't know if we have the talent to do so. Can we beat the Spurs with the team as it currently stands? The Heat? Pistons? Suns? If the answer is "no" to even one of those teams (and from my perspective, it is "no" to all four) we need to do something to change it.

I know this post probably made no sense, but I had to vent.

I just don't know what we will be able to do in order to make ourselves legitimate title contenders.

But then again, that's why my name is not Geoff Petrie.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
WHY NOT COLIRSS AND SKINNER FOR NENE!!!
IT WILL BE PERFECT
Salaries are not close...Everyone should read my trade, that I think is a bit realistic, but stil not going to happen...

Kings Get:

Nene

and

Marcus Camby

and

Eduardo Najera

Nuggets Get:

Brad Miller

and

Kenny Thomas

and

#23 Draft pick

Why Kings do it:
Now the Kings have a bona-fide defensive minded center. He'll do everything you need, grab boards, block shots, and just give you an inside presence. Nene steps in a gives us our new PF. Rebounds, plays hard, and hopefully will keep getting better. Eduardo makes the salaries work, and is one of those guys that you hate, until he's on your team.

Why Kings Don't:
Camby is injury prone. Nene may never develop. Najera had the Webber surgery. And losing a draft pick hurts.

Why Nuggets do it:
Two proven offensive weapons come in. Brad is a good passer, so more good looks for Martin and Anthony. Thomas is, in essence the Nuggets, 'new' Nene. The backup PF that comes in, grabs boards, and throws his body around. He has a polished offensive game, to go with his hustle. Also getting the Kings draft pick, so now you have 3 first round picks. Package deals? Trade up? Possiblities.

Why Nuggets Don't: Brad breaks down near the end of the year. Nene is younger, and has a higher ceiling than Thomas. And the draft pick may never develop.

Why it Could Happen: Nuggets may not want to risk Camby having that 'one big' injury, and being saddled with his contract for the remaining 4 years. Brad is a few years younger than Camby as well. Nuggets get a bit better offensivly, and Brad may draw out the big men to allow Martin/Anthony slashing lay-ups to go in with less blockage by centers. Nuggets may be intrigued by having number 20, 22, and 23 draft picks, which could be packaged for a higher pick...Kings of course need defence and rebounding. Problems solved! And Najera is just a hustle guy, you love to have. A tough guy to back up Peja.

-----

-Then with the MLE, you sign a power forward.
-Sign Matt Barnes to the minimum.
-With the LLE sign a warm body at center. One who is at least slightly capable, because injuries are a probablity.

PG: Bibby--Jackson--House

SG: Mobley--Evans--Martin

SF: Peja--Najera--Barnes

PF: Nene--MLE Signee (Can be switched with Nene, depending on who's coming in)--Skinner

C: Camby--Ostertag--Skinner--LLE

*Mobley is expendable. I just havent figured a good sign/trade destination yet...Hell, we don't even know if we'll have him for that.
* No room for Darius either...
*Corliss is as good as gone. He has no spot on that team...Mobley/Corliss?
*Looks like House, Barnes, and the LLE are gonna be injury reserve players... (Barring any 2 players for one type of deal)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Shareef's talented, but he does nothing for our softness issues. Indeed may be an exemplar of it. Bunch of empty numbers. I would no t be surprised if we are interested. But that interest worries me. Guy that can get you 20 and 8 and not matter in the least. Nine years in the league, never been to the playoffs. don;t think he's ever even been on a winning team. Also another "red carpet to the rim" PF with no presence in there at all. Mentioned this several times, but I see no path to relevance with a PF who blocks less thasn half a shot a game teamed with a center who can barely get one, and who guards charge right at without fear.

Bricklayer said:
Shareef's talented, but he does nothing for our softness issues. Indeed may be an exemplar of it. Bunch of empty numbers. I would no t be surprised if we are interested. But that interest worries me. Guy that can get you 20 and 8 and not matter in the least. Nine years in the league, never been to the playoffs. don;t think he's ever even been on a winning team. Also another "red carpet to the rim" PF with no presence in there at all. Mentioned this several times, but I see no path to relevance with a PF who blocks less thasn half a shot a game teamed with a center who can barely get one, and who guards charge right at without fear.
TEAM DEFENSE.

If our defensive woes come down to personel and nothing else, then we are in trouble, plain and simple. We have Bibby, Miller, and Peja. Those 3 will be starters next season with the Kings. Individually they sucked on defense this season, and this season the Kings basically played nothing but 1 on 1 defense because the team didn't know eachother.

Kenny Thomas would always switch and nobody would switch to his man!! That is all preperation. Adelman doesn't teach D, never has. At best we were a moderate to soft team in the last 6-7 years. I am really starting to lean towards that fact that the team is capable of playing defense if they know what they are doing on defense as a unit.

Strategy is the key!!!

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
TEAM DEFENSE.

If our defensive woes come down to personel and nothing else, then we are in trouble, plain and simple. We have Bibby, Miller, and Peja. Those 3 will be starters next season with the Kings. Individually they sucked on defense this season, and this season the Kings basically played nothing but 1 on 1 defense because the team didn't know eachother.

Kenny Thomas would always switch and nobody would switch to his man!! That is all preperation. Adelman doesn't teach D, never has. At best we were a moderate to soft team in the last 6-7 years. I am really starting to lean towards that fact that the team is capable of playing defense if they know what they are doing on defense as a unit.

Strategy is the key!!!
Personnel is ALWAYS the key. Defense isn't some universal that every player is equally adept at. And its not something guys in their late 20's suddenly learn to pick up and understand after 20 years of ignoring it. In our peak years we were a VERY good defensive team. In fact given that our offense has rolled right along, that alone can explain much of the difference between where we were then and where we are now. And it was personnel as much as attitude. And attitude inspired BY personnel. You want team defense? Then we need to start acquiring a critical mass of personnel dedicated to defense. We need a new Doug. We need a new Pollard. New Keon's, JJs etc. would help too. As would a shotblocker to inspire and give confidence to our perimeter guys to get up on their men.

Just throwing soft player after soft player into the mix and saying ok, now you guys defend, isn't going to fix the problem. And you can bring in any coach you want. First thing Pat Riley (for example) would do here is to clean house of the softies and start bringing in some of his preferred defensive personnel. Its no coincidence that when he took over Miami his first order of business was to trade Glen Rice for Alonzo Mourning. Then Sign PJ Brown, Dan Majerle, Bruce Bowen etc. etc. He didn't say "oh, I'll turn these softies into defensive stalwarts". He went out and GOT defensive stalwarts.

Last edited:
EXACTLY. I couldn't have said it better myself.

However, this is the predicament the Kings are faced with. There are not many players in the league that are able to flourish in a skilled offensive system such as the Kings', while still being a defensive stud at the other end of the court. Most of the players who do fit this description are basically "untouchable" due to their importance to their teams. One player who does not seem to be "untouchable" is Ron Artest, but many fans do not want him in a Kings uniform, for obvious reasons.
Hopefully Petrie will be able to find a player or two who fits this description. If not, the Kings will either remain a fun team to watch that plays no defense, or exactly the opposite.

Burrito06 said:
I liked J-Will when he was here but I would not like him coming back. And it's like we are trading all of 4 of our players for the entire starting lineup of the grizzlies. And the Grizzlies were knocked out of the playoffs just as fast as we were. This trade is just plain dumb. And trade #1 is just as dumb. WHo is going to run the point. Eddie House. Don't get me wrong House is a good back up point but he is not a starter.
The trades only work if they go together. Trade #1 assumes we are getting our PG in Jwill. Additionally, you are taking a good chunk of the Memphis team that got knocked out in the first round EXCEPT you give them KG, and some pretty interesting bench pieces, which I'd tend to think makes them a slightly different unit. I think its questionable whether Memphis does the deal, but like I said in the trade, it gives them a pretty nice inside outside punch with Gasol and Peja, and Jerry West understands its normally 1-2 punches that win titles not a collection of solid but not spectacular players. In the Memphis deal we give up the most talented player by far but get back better balance and depth.

and by realistic I meant that the teams would actually consider the deal not that the deal would realistically happen. I didnt want to make a deal that was built upon something like Indiana being so enamored with Brian Skinner and Corliss that they'd give us Artest or something like that.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I wonder if Memphis would take Darius Songaila and Bobby Jackson in a sign and trade for Stromille Swift if we throw in a future first round pick too.

Bricklayer

hrdboild said:
I wonder if Memphis would take Darius Songaila and Bobby Jackson in a sign and trade for Stromille Swift if we throw in a future first round pick too.
I can't imagine why. But more than that, the salaries don't remotely match. Stromile will probably be getting somebody to drop an $8-$10 mil contract on him this summer (or would have before his late fade this year) while Darius and Bobby together make less than the exception I think.

I'm thinking that Petrie has to do all he can to make a run at KG. If KG is going to be traded from Minny this is the time. If the price is right then I really think that KG can be had. Is it likely? Probably not, but if anyone can do it then Petrie can.

hrdboild said:
whats so good about stro? i'd rather have tyson chandler! bulls aren't gonna let him go. wishful thinking on my part.

Stro is a UFA. He's injury prone though. He dunks the ball (post player) and he blocks shots (defensive 4), which are 2 things we definitely have been needing since Webber got hurt 2 years ago.

We don't need offense, we need defense!! And we need a shooting guard and power foward!! We neet to stay with bibby, peja and brad!!
For me we nedd to get larry hugles(free agent) he receives 5 milion only!! with 9 million he can come to the kings!!!
KG is the better opition for PF, but maybe, we can't get with without tradding bibby, peja ou brad! If we can is the best!!
If we cant, we can get ELTON BRAND and NENE, we can get brand and nene tradding Mobley, colirrs, tag or thomas!! PLEASE KINGS DO IT!!!!!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
How do you expect to get Elton Brand? The Clippers don't need a shooting guard and Kenny Thomas is like the poor man's Elton Brand. There's no reason for them to make a trade for any of those guys. Nene would be nice, but Denver really only has space for a shooting guard and if they want Mobley they can just sign him outright since they don't have salary cap issues. Larry Hughes is staying in Washington for big time $. Those are some nice suggestions for players that will help this team, but none of them are really available. Swift, on the other hand, is available though I don't know that I would even want him signed to a long-term deal. It's just an idea.

Some of the trade proposals are completely lopsided in our favor. If you want quality back, you'll need to give away quality. With that said, I'd be okay with parting ways with Peja, now. His stock has dropped some, but his contract will be coming up, and I'd be much happier if that decision was no longer in our hands. I think only the book ends of Bibby and Brad can really be tagged "safe". If we go the superstar route, one of them might go, also.

I'll be the first to say this, we do need more offense; at least more diversity. Our trio of Bibby, Peja, and Brad are too one dimensional. Bibby is the only one who can create for himself. If we need to move one of them to get an impact player, I’d do it.

I like Artest but the city would go crazy if you brought him in; especially if you gave up a nice guy like Peja to get him.

I also like Cuttino (seems like I’m the only one these days) and wouldn’t mind him being back. Right now, where he goes is in his hands, and it’s presumptuous to be using him in trades. Unless something tells us otherwise, he’s gone. A lot of talk has been made about how he doesn’t fit our system but I disagree. He brings us other problems, but his game fits ours. He played well earlier in the year, but after the trade he started to go off on his own more.

Unless KG is asking for a trade behind the scenes, he won’t be traded. If he was being shopped, it certainly won’t be for one star and change. At least 24 other teams will be offering better deals than the ones proposed here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Packt said:
Some of the trade proposals are completely lopsided in our favor. If you want quality back, you'll need to give away quality. With that said, I'd be okay with parting ways with Peja, now. His stock has dropped some, but his contract will be coming up, and I'd be much happier if that decision was no longer in our hands. I think only the book ends of Bibby and Brad can really be tagged "safe". If we go the superstar route, one of them might go, also.

I'll be the first to say this, we do need more offense; at least more diversity. Our trio of Bibby, Peja, and Brad are too one dimensional. Bibby is the only one who can create for himself. If we need to move one of them to get an impact player, I’d do it.

I like Artest but the city would go crazy if you brought him in; especially if you gave up a nice guy like Peja to get him.

I also like Cuttino (seems like I’m the only one these days) and wouldn’t mind him being back. Right now, where he goes is in his hands, and it’s presumptuous to be using him in trades. Unless something tells us otherwise, he’s gone. A lot of talk has been made about how he doesn’t fit our system but I disagree. He brings us other problems, but his game fits ours. He played well earlier in the year, but after the trade he started to go off on his own more.

Unless KG is asking for a trade behind the scenes, he won’t be traded. If he was being shopped, it certainly won’t be for one star and change. At least 24 other teams will be offering better deals than the ones proposed here.
You're not alone. I like Cuttino, too, and I think he's smart enough to learn - with a little time and at least one training camp - how to adapt his game to better meet our needs.

As far as Garnett goes, there might be 24 other teams making him offers but he's going to be more interested in going where he thinks he might get a shot at something further than the second round of the playoffs.

My thought is that with KG in the mix, he could play at the 5, move Brad to the 4, where he was very effective before, keep Bibby at the 1, use Cuttino at the 2, with the small forward open for whatever we can get.

Bibb and RJ

BK_KingsFan said:
We should try to get Richard Jefferson somehow. I would love to see him in a Kings uni. Its probably almost impossible because of his contract though.
Bibby and RJ, Arizona reunion! I guess they didn't even play together, but oh well. We should add Jason Gardner and Mike Dunleavy and Salim (?) Stoudamire.

Bricklayer

I've mentioned before with KG, that if he is on the market I cannot imagine apackage we could put together for him not involving 2 of our so-called Big Three. Which would be fine by me since I think players at their level can be replaced a lot easier than a talent like KG can be acquired. But nonetheless, hard to imagine any of them, when combined with some of our bad midlevel contracts, being the best offer the Wolves would get.