OFFICIAL Free Agent Tracking Thread (MERGED)

Ryle said:
Interesting note from Marc Steins column today:

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, one of the prized frontcourt commodities on the market, will make visits to New Jersey and Sacramento this week.

Interesting, if we sign him it would mean that one of our frontcourt players would be on the move.
I like Shareef, but as a person who would most likely see time at the SF slot, does that support the idea that Peja may be playing more at the SG position?

Sorry can not find a link got this off another forun

Free agent watch: What should your team do?
By Chad Ford

SACRAMENTO KINGS
Players they might lose: Maurice Evans (R), Cuttino Mobley, Darius Songaila (R)

Players they might pursue: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Bobby Simmons, Marko Jaric (R), Ronald Murray (R), Arvydas Macijauskas, Anthony Parker, Travis Hansen

Current cap position: $57.3 million ($7.8 million over the cap)

Analysis: With Mobley deciding to opt out, the Kings could go in a different direction, though you have to wonder why Mobley would opt out without some assurances that he had another deal in place with the Kings.

The Kings could make a run at Abdur-Rahim, a guy who would be a perfect fit in the Kings' system. They have some assets they could use in a sign-and-trade with Portland, meaning they could give Abdur-Rahim more money than most teams.

The situation at two guard is also an issue. Simmons would be a great fit if they could afford him. So would Jaric, though he may have a hang-up about not playing the point full-time. Macijauskas, Parker and Hansen would all be excellent additions at the two from across the pond.

FrenchCanadianKING said:
Is Shareef any significant upgrade over Kenny Thomas?

doubt it.
Yes.

Lets put it this way if I had $6 million to spend on either Kenny Thomas or Shareef Abdul-Rahim it would be no contest. Reef actually has a very good post game and can also play outside. He gives you more versatility, size and ability than Kenny.

If we can trade Thomas for Shareef I'd do it in a second. In spite of the rumblings around this board that Shareef is more of the same (which I agree with) it all depends on what we give up to get him. If we have to use our MLE on him and have both him and KT on the same team, then yes that is a rediculous decision to now have essentially three defensively limited power forwards making good money on your team in Miller, Thomas, and Shareef. Sharif for Thomas though? I would do this in a second.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to see Cleveland sign him. Then it means they'll have no interest in Mobley and increase the chances of a sign-and-trade for the Kings.

I'm not sure why more teams aren't giving Hughes the full court press. I originally thought he was a restricted free agent and Washington would be sure to match. But I believe he's unrestricted.

He could probably be had for a lower price than Michael Redd. And unless my team desperately needs a shooter, I'd rather have Hughes' all-around game anyway.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah I agree. Between Redd, Allen, and Hughes I'd definately pick Hughes. But then that has something to do with the fact that we already have a shooter (or 3) on our roster. If reports are correct then both Allen and Redd are off the market already which raises Mobley's value. Hopefully the Clippers or Cavs don't go crazy dishing out money to Mobley cause I want to see him in Denver (with Nene in a Kings uni of course).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Scalabrine apparently just signed with the Celtics for 5 years, $15mil. Just significant because I think that could be a market setting sort of signing for Darius.

Bricklayer

whozit said:
Now would Washington take a Mobley for a Kwame?
Ooh...interesting thought. Had not considered that.

If we can parlay Cat into a young big amn, whether it be Nene, Brown (who is riskier IMHO) or whoever. Think we will have done generally well.

Bricklayer said:
Ooh...interesting thought. Had not considered that.

If we can parlay Cat into a young big amn, whether it be Nene, Brown (who is riskier IMHO) or whoever. Think we will have done generally well.
Washington just drafted that High School player(Blatche) in the second round so they have alot of "bigs" but are short in the "smalls" department. Cat and Arenas would make a nice backcourt ;)

That should wipe out all of Milwaukee's spending money and they still have a little issue with no depth at power forward. Perhaps, they might be interested in a Thomas for a Gadzuric. With the money they just shelled out for two players, Thomas being tied up to just over the mid-level for a few:D years might actually be attractive.

Bricklayer

whozit said:
Perhaps, they might be interested in a Thomas for a Gadzuric.
I cannot imagine why. ;)

Seriously, both Gadzuric and Pachulia can play PF behind Smith, and they have good size for the position. If they resign those guys, I would imagine they are pretty much set. Adding Bogut and Simmons, and getting Ford back, they could be much better.

Bricklayer said:
I cannot imagine why. ;)

Seriously, both Gadzuric and Pachulia can play PF behind Smith, and they have good size for the position. If they resign those guys, I would imagine they are pretty much set. Adding Bogut and Simmons, and getting Ford back, they could be much better.
Odd coaching choice, though...I'm sure they know something about Stotts that I don't, but it just seems to me that with the team they're building, they would want someone with at least a bit of head-coaching experience.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, the Cavs are apparently getting an offer sheet ready for Udonis Haslem that I'm not sure the Heat can match. If they still have the cash to nab Antonio Daniels or Earl Watson, then Cleveland will have had a decent offseason. They still won't be good enough to be serious contenders, but it should pacify James, at least for the time being.

Entity

Hall of Famer
funkykingston said:
Also, the Cavs are apparently getting an offer sheet ready for Udonis Haslem that I'm not sure the Heat can match. If they still have the cash to nab Antonio Daniels or Earl Watson, then Cleveland will have had a decent offseason. They still won't be good enough to be serious contenders, but it should pacify James, at least for the time being.
??? geez not only would they be serious contenders. I'd say they have at least the 5th seed in the playoffs. Larry Hughes is a HUGE upgrade and Daniels or Watson would be an upgrade as well.

Wow, the Knicks are signing Jerome James for five years at the full MLE. Not bad for a guy who has played five good games his entire career.

You really gotta love Isiah Thomas. He gives away Nazr Mohammad to the Spurs and then uses his whole MLE on Jerome James? For FIVE YEARS???