OFFICIAL Free Agent Tracking Thread (MERGED)

How current is that information?

They put a qualifing offer on Daniels? If they did, that would be a surprise to say the least. I would agree with them if they did, but wow.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We already have a Free Agent tracking thread stickied at the top of the forum. I'm merging this one into the first one at member request since they have the same information but in different formats.

Last edited:
I wanted to run a couple free agents by you guys and see what your opinion is:

1. Danny Fortson
2. Robert Horry
3. Jerome James
4. Grant Hill*
5. Eddie Jones*
6. Latrell Sprewell

Note: The ones with a star are the ones you should look at.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
VF21 said:
sono - First, welcome to the board.

I'll try and answer your questions:

1. Players can be listed on the free agency list even if they're currently playing in Europe. All it means is if they do opt to come to the NBA they come in as free agents.

2. Restricted Free Agents are players that are currently on a team and that team has first option on their services. (Simplified explanation.) For example, Dalembert is a Restricted Free Agent. That means he can get offers from other teams but the Sixers have the right - if they wish - to match any offer and retain him. If they choose not to match the offer, then he can go with the highest bidder.

3. There are team options and player options. Cuttino Mobley had a player option, meaning he could continue his contract for one more year or make himself a free agent with no restrictions. From what we know, he is going to opt out or decline the remaining year with the Kings to see what other kinds of offers he might receive. Bobby Jackson, on the other hand, has a team option, which means it's up to the team to decide if they want to keep him for the final year of his contract or let him loose. Petrie has already indicated the Kings intend to exercise the option on Jackson.
Technically, he doesn't go to the highest bidder, he goes to the bidder whose offer he accepts. Don't mean to sound nitpickey about it, but the player and agent choose which offer to accept and the team has to match that offer. This isn't an auction, it is something agreed to by both sides.

Since most of the time the offer accepted IS the highest bidder, most of the time your statement is true. There are occasions, I'm sure, when the highest offer is not the one accepted.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just as a note -- I am trying to update this whenever I see something over the wire about a player opting out, a team not picking up an option etc. But I may well miss something so if you see anybody missing, or anything that has changed, feel free to post it and either I or VF21 will make the changes to the main list.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Warhawk - Granted the player does have the option of picking less than the highest offer but I don't think that happens very often ... And if you notice, I said "can go" not "will go."

;)

Now, hand me some of those nits!

:D

It appears that ESPN has updated their 2005 Free Agent List. It now has Daniels in the unrestricted category.

It looks like it is pretty compresive and should allow a quick clean up of the master list.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:

1. Danny Fortson
2. Robert Horry
3. Jerome James
4. Grant Hill*
5. Eddie Jones*
6. Latrell Sprewell

i'm going to pass on the garbage bag man.

I see it this way. Let Garcia and Martin develop behind Sprewell at SG. Let Fortson and James come off the bench to provide some muscle down low and bring Horry in for the 4th quarter of games. Makes sense to me. ;)

ESPN is reporting that Raja Bell will sign with the Suns and that Chris Anderson will be signing a "multi-year" deal with the Hornets. Hornets will also sign Boston Nachjbar........woopty doo!!!!

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:

1. Danny Fortson
2. Robert Horry
3. Jerome James
4. Grant Hill*
5. Eddie Jones*
6. Latrell Sprewell

Danny Fortson, dirty player, don't like his attitude or the way he plays.
Robert Horry, single handedly declined the kings of going to the finals, no way he gets on the roster.
Jerome James, garbage man, nuff said
Grant Hill mayb, expensive and is getting old.
Eddie Jones, wold love to have him but yea hed never come here
Latrell Sprewell hell no!!! Cancer.

ForlornKing said:
Danny Fortson, dirty player, don't like his attitude or the way he plays.
Robert Horry, single handedly declined the kings of going to the finals, no way he gets on the roster.
Jerome James, garbage man, nuff said
Grant Hill mayb, expensive and is getting old.
Eddie Jones, wold love to have him but yea hed never come here
Latrell Sprewell hell no!!! Cancer.
Haha... I knew some of you would like those. Yah Hill isnt what he used to be and is getting old but if we could get him cheap he may be able to help. Can he play the 4 or is he not big/strong enough?

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Haha... I knew some of you would like those. Yah Hill isnt what he used to be and is getting old but if we could get him cheap he may be able to help. Can he play the 4 or is he not big/strong enough?
Hill is a swing man, a point forward.

Last edited:
We all know Mo and Darius - RFAs after they got qualifying offers. Does anybody know how much are these offers?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gilles said:
We all know Mo and Darius - RFAs after they got qualifying offers. Does anybody know how much are this offers?
Here you go:

In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 38 ). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 9 ) plus $150,000, whichever is greater. The qualifying offer must be for one season. The team automatically gets an exception in the amount necessary to make this qualifying offer if they are over the salary cap.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#17

MMM lets see the kings need a center or power forward garcia and martin are good at the 2 kevin martin showed us last season when he went in he played real good but coach adlmen doesnt play rookies hes the reason we lost gerreld wallace but the kings need a big guy.maybe trade peja?

kings4life said:
MMM lets see the kings need a center or power forward garcia and martin are good at the 2 kevin martin showed us last season when he went in he played real good but coach adlmen doesnt play rookies hes the reason we lost gerreld wallace but the kings need a big guy.maybe trade peja?
The reason we lost Wallace was because the Bobcats picked him up in the expansion draft. We didnt have to give him away.

Ryle said:
ESPN is reporting that Raja Bell will sign with the Suns and that Chris Anderson will be signing a "multi-year" deal with the Hornets. Hornets will also sign Boston Nachjbar........woopty doo!!!!
stephen hunter is looking better and better.

His fairly young can play the c or pf position. he's never got a lot of playing time which is kinda of troublesome, but makes him that much more available to us. this guy would be a killer pickup in my opinion.

Last edited:
NBA.com has Eric Daniels and Darious as restricted free agents. They have Mo, Mobley, and Eddie House as unrestricted. I thought we made qualifying offer to Evans. Is this just a mistake on nba.com?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is it a mistake? Yep.

Eric Daniels and Eddie House are unrestricted free agents, as is Cat since he opted out of the final year of his contract with us. Mo Evans and Darius have been made restricted free agents because of qualifying offers.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Check out the salaries page at Hoopshype.com. They've updated the rosters to remove Free Agents so they make a lot more sense now. Also, free agents are listed by team at the free agency page.

Also, both Hoopshype and RealGM are reporting that the Clippers are going to make a substantial offer to Ray Allen. They certainly have money to burn. Which makes me wonder, if they are as interested in re-signing Bobby Simmons as they claim to be, doesn't that make Corey Maggette trade bait?

Also, looking at Portland's updated roster, it looks like any of the following players are available for trade: Theo Ratliff, Zach Randolph, Derek Anderson, Darius Miles, Ruben Patterson. We've got a lot of trade bait too, and a couple of those guys sound like an upgrade at the frontcourt positions.

I was also wondering, if the Lakers decide to waive Brian Grant's contract (a remote possibility) would you be interested in picking him up to play PF for us? He's a tough player and despite his knee problems, may not be a huge risk at a discounted contract price.

Last edited:
haha yeah. do it. jk don't. but i would love to pick up jerome james or buy dalembert somehow out of the sixers, he's restricted right? yeah i didn't read all the posts, you probably already thought of this stuff. i love kingsfans.com.

malcolm_m03 said:
haha yeah. do it. jk don't. but i would love to pick up jerome james or buy dalembert somehow out of the sixers, he's restricted right? yeah i didn't read all the posts, you probably already thought of this stuff. i love kingsfans.com.

You might want to read all the posts;), garbage man would not be a popular choice, why would you want him?:confused:

Interesting note from Marc Steins column today:

Shareef Abdur-Rahim, one of the prized frontcourt commodities on the market, will make visits to New Jersey and Sacramento this week.

Interesting, if we sign him it would mean that one of our frontcourt players would be on the move.