[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The NBA should have forfeited some of Cuban's lotto combos. That would be more damaging to him than a fine, even $600K.
I would say that this would be appropriate if the league determined that the team WAS actively trying to lose games... I know it seems obvious but it is a serious acusation that would require solid proof beyond a comment made by the owner (BUT that is a great place to start an inquiry). At any rate the league may not be done yet.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would say that this would be appropriate if the league determined that the team WAS actively trying to lose games... I know it seems obvious but it is a serious acusation that would require solid proof beyond a comment made by the owner (BUT that is a great place to start an inquiry). At any rate the league may not be done yet.
I think maybe the league is done with this issue. I mean, a $600K fine doesn't exactly scream "still investigating" to me. I could be wrong!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That would quite possibly be the most impressive action taken by the league since the beginning of time.
Well, let's be honest. The NBA is pretty tame in terms of punishments. I mean Crittenton and Arenas pulled guns on each other in the locker room and only got a rest-of-season suspension. Latrell Sprewell choked and punched his coach and only got a year suspension. Malice in the Palace? Sub one-season suspensions. Seems like the league has hardly given out any suspension with teeth since the Joe Smith under-the-table contract situation.

So yeah, you're right. That would have been pretty damn impressive had the league done that.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think maybe the league is done with this issue. I mean, a $600K fine doesn't exactly scream "still investigating" to me. I could be wrong!
Oh you may well be right on that. I guess I was not clear that I though the fine was about right for a inopertune statement but insufficnet if the league felt they could show that the team is actively trying to lose games.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Oh you may well be right on that. I guess I was not clear that I though the fine was about right for a inopertune statement but insufficnet if the league felt they could show that the team is actively trying to lose games.
To be fair, they may be saving the really harsh punishment for their eventual sexual harrassment ruling.

I’m glad Cuban said it. It’s the truth. Don’t hate the player. The rules encourage/incentivize losing to better draft position probabilities. I get why the league has to fine him, and Cuban is no stranger to large fines, but it’s the NBA that needs to check their own rules and come up with a creative solution. The one that goes into effect for the 2019 draft won’t resolve tanking behavior, as it just gives off the air of attempting a solution without really functionally changing anything.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the relevant part:

“I’ll be surprised if he returns this season,” Popovich said.

He paused to allow the statement to sink in.

“We only have X number of games left this season, and he’s still not ready to go. If by some chance he is, it’s going to be pretty late into the season and it’s going to be a tough decision on how late you bring somebody back. That’s why I’m trying to be honest and logical. I’ll be surprised if he gets back this year,” Popovich said.

I wasn't as sure about the Leonard play last year, but Zaza Pachulia lunges on Westbrook's legs yesterday, Saturday. He clearly made little effort to avoid Westbrooks legs on a "fall".

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Why? Kawhi is a proven talent. Put him in with our kids and GOOD THINGS HAPPEN.
For starters, we don't know the extent of his injury. Maybe it's worse than it's being lead on? maybe not. That said, the Kings should continue to grow with the young core they have, Kawhi is in his prime right now and I don't have much faith in Vlade to surround him with a winner so I'll play the patience game instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.