[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Clippers are a backup big and a point guard away from being the first seed (aside from the Kawhi and PG being held together by duct tape thing)

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Clippers are a backup big and a point guard away from being the first seed (aside from the Kawhi and PG being held together by duct tape thing)
I think Den is a legit contender too, especially if they can find a couple moves to bolster their bench. Their starting 5 is insanely good and Jokic is coasting to his 3rd MVP. Not sure what their draft assets are, but I'd be moving a bunch of them to shove in this season.

But yeah LAC if they can get PG and Kawhi to the playoffs healthy for a 7 game series.... Oof. That depth is going to be near impossible to compete with and they have just as much star power as anyone in the NBA. Especially with how they're built, no one in the league is really suited to defend all those wings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Den is a legit contender too, especially if they can find a couple moves to bolster their bench. Their starting 5 is insanely good and Jokic is coasting to his 3rd MVP. Not sure what their draft assets are, but I'd be moving a bunch of them to shove in this season.

But yeah LAC if they can get PG and Kawhi to the playoffs healthy for a 7 game series.... Oof. That depth is going to be near impossible to compete with and they have just as much star power as anyone in the NBA. Especially with how they're built, no one in the league is really suited to defend all those wings.
Denver missing their first round picks in 2023 and 2025 is really gonna make it hard for them to do too much though. Probably why they're so intent on trading Bones all of a sudden. He's their best asset aside from their 2027-2029 picks. They're also 12.1 million dollars over the tax line which makes big moves a little hard to do, especially with the Kroenkes as owners.

With Ballmer willing to sink billions of dollars of his own money into the Clippers (he's building their new arena on his own!), the Clippers are probably more of a threat to make a move despite being 42 million dollars over the luxury tax line. The Clippers' first tradeable first round pick is in 2028 though (They have pick swaps with the Thunder this year and 2025 and already traded their 2024 and 2026 picks) so I'm not sure how good of a piece they're going to get with their collection of BJ Boston, Jason Preston, Amir Coffey, and second round picks (they don't even have many of those to work with either).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Giannis drives on Zubac who has hands vertical and doesn't hip check him. Lue challenges it and loses and so I ask, what is the point of a challenge if the ego can't accept when in the wrong?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bucks end of game offense leaves something to be desired. I understand they're worried about Middleton's health but anything would be better than them forcing the ball to Giannis trying to post up literally one of the best defenders in the history of the league every single possession.

Giannis drives on Zubac who has hands vertical and doesn't hip check him. Lue challenges it and loses and so I ask, what is the point of a challenge if the ego can't accept when in the wrong?
I want to know what happened to them doing the review back in NY? Having the officials who made the call be the ones reviewing it makes no sense.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I was just scanning rosters for possible fits for Kyrie and I think the team that makes the most sense is Toronto. They need some kind of shake-up and it seems likely that Fred VanVleet and OG Anunoby are on the trade block already. If they send both of them to Brooklyn for Kyrie Irving they possibly revive their playoff hopes or at least clear out salary to rebuild quickly and Brooklyn can save face by adding two guys into their lineup who can step in and keep them competitive.

With all the hoopla about LeBron approaching Kareem's scoring record, I think it needs to be pointed out that Kareem played 4 years at UCLA before moving to the NBA. Otherwise, his scoring record would have been quite a bit higher. One year on the freshman team (freshmen couldn't play varsity then) and then 3 years of varsity (with 3 NCAA championships).

There's no doubt he was ready for the NBA coming out of high school (not allowed at the time). A great story if you haven't heard it: When Kareem was a freshman, UCLA was defending NCAA champions. They had a varsity vs freshman game, and Kareem's freshman team beat the varsity.

Congratulations to LeBron, but with an asterisk.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Nah, hard disagree. Ain't no asterisk. It's definitely true that LeBron didn't spend those four years in college, but he's still going to pass Kareem in 150 fewer games. That's basically two whole NBA seasons. So unless you expect me to believe that LeBron wouldn't have still eventually passed Kareem if he'd went to college for two years, instead of going to the league straight out of high school, you can keep that asterisk, sir.

And that's no shade to Kareem, by the way: in my personal record book, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a Top 3 basketball player of all time, and he ain't Number Three. I just don't think that we need to diminish LeBron James to remember how great Kareem was.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
And, by the way, nobody has smoke for Dirk Nowitzki like this. Dirk also did not go to college, here or in Germany. He only played 40 fewer games than Kareem, and he didn't get close to the record. But he still finished sixth all time, and nobody holds the fact that he didn't go to college against him. Or the fourth all-time scorer Kobe Bryant, for that matter. In fact, four of the Top Ten scoring leaders in NBA history didn't go to college, but only one of them gets that held against their scoring records. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.