[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami doesn’t have the salary or assets to send Pacers imo. Even if they don’t get Dame, not sure the Pacers would take Duncan and a first rounder for Buddy but who knows.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

the Celtics have like no tradable assets left to move for Dame but go ahead and waste your money placing bets on them in the Dame sweepstakes
I dunno, when you're up against the wall like Portland is, Brogdon, White, and a ton of picks (looks like the Celtics could go as high as four) might look like a pretty decent return. I can see why Miami might balk at sending a package like Herro/Jaquez/Jovic, and that's probably what Portland is looking for out of South Beach. I can't imagine that Boston would balk on putting together Brogdon/White to get Dame. Lillard/Brown/Tatum/Zinger looks pretty scary if Zinger can stay healthy even if it's Robert Williams and 10 dudes from the Y holding up the back end of the deal.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I still think my deal for Scottie to Toronto makes the most sense.

I don't want the Blazers to deal with Miami at all, but if they somehow could route Nurk to Phoenix and get Ayton, and get JJJ and not Jokic, I think that's at least starting to look compelling, though Ayton and Grant would be on way different timelines than the young guys so maybe they get moved later.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

the anonymous front office staffer in question: Pat Riley in a fedora and fake mustache
The problem is that none of the 3 teams that have been named by different sources as "frontrunners" to land Lillard are likely to have FRPs worth anything in the next few years. Outside of the 21-22 season Lillard has always played 66 games or more and would likely have last season as well if the Blazers hadn't shut him down. And even in 21-22 none of his injuries were long term concerns.

So you add a 33 year old Lillard to a Boston core of Brown, Tatum, and Porzingis, or a Toronto core of likely 2 out of Barnes, OG, and Pascal plus Poeltl or a Heat core of Butler and Bam - which one of those is going to have anything but a FRP in the mid to late 20's for the next four or five seasons? You'd essentially have to hope for injuries if you're Portland.

But this is exactly why Portland should have traded Dame before he publicly asked to be traded. The Blazers would have had more leverage and got better offers and as a side benefit you keep Dame's legacy intact with Portland fans.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The problem is that none of the 3 teams that have been named by different sources as "frontrunners" to land Lillard are likely to have FRPs worth anything in the next few years. Outside of the 21-22 season Lillard has always played 66 games or more and would likely have last season as well if the Blazers hadn't shut him down. And even in 21-22 none of his injuries were long term concerns.

So you add a 33 year old Lillard to a Boston core of Brown, Tatum, and Porzingis, or a Toronto core of likely 2 out of Barnes, OG, and Pascal plus Poeltl or a Heat core of Butler and Bam - which one of those is going to have anything but a FRP in the mid to late 20's for the next four or five seasons? You'd essentially have to hope for injuries if you're Portland.

But this is exactly why Portland should have traded Dame before he publicly asked to be traded. The Blazers would have had more leverage and got better offers and as a side benefit you keep Dame's legacy intact with Portland fans.
I don't think Barnes is as good as Toronto thinks he is/Masai makes him out to be, but that's the deal. You're trading for a third year player who (if he plays the 3 vs insists he's a PG) plays in a position of need and can grow with your young team. Throw in Grady Dick and maybe you route the picks to Suns and it can make the Nurk for Ayton deal work. The Portland either has two vets in the front court or guys they can look to move as separate deals if Indy would still be interested in Ayton I imagine Blazers would have more salary flexibility.

I don't know, but for me that remains the most intriguing deal for Portland.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Man, people really do not watch any games side from the favorite team.
I want to give some benefit of the doubt that they know he's in Indy and are just drumming up old rumors to try to generate demand for Buddy.

My guess is Buddy would not want to go to a team with two alpha ball handlers that are likely only to give him hand grenades.

Portland is not able to do anything with Dame other than sniff the play in but because they have him and people seem to think they owe him they appear stuck in this 'let's pretend to compete' space. Dame is obviously a good offensive on ball player, and it isn't nice to lose good players for not much, but moving him would at least give the front office some clarity and a bit more autonomy. Plus they have Scoot now. Move on.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
They're going to move him they're just not moving for Herro.

People here rate him higher than Walton and Drexler as the GOAT Blazer and like him more than they like the franchise right now (I think this is recency bias or I didn't know Portland existed until Portlandia debuted and am under 40). So they couldn't move for anything less than impressive.

Fans here are a big part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.