More Williams Joerger drama

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I don’t think it’s that hard to believe that the whole front office wanted Bagley. The guy is going to be special and he’s putting up numbers while raw as hell. Very little offensive polish yet, needs to learn intracacies of rebounding, team defense, improve 3 point shooting yet he’s already putting up impressive numbers.

The real MVP of our FO is Cantanella. Our cap clearing has been incredible, and we’ve done a fantastic job negotiating contracts sice he got there.

I really dislike the Haynes leak, and think Joerger is a really good coach. However, I also think Williams has done a good job. If Williams was planning on bringing in Ime Udoka, for instance, I’d be willing to listen. Joerger has had enough friction with supervisors over the years to infer that he is not the easiest head coach to work with...players love playing for him though. He’s kind of a proto-Larry Brown in that regard.

Let’s also consider that the Minnesota job is going to be open again this offseason, and Dave has wanted that job for a long time. His open courting of a Minny offer helped kick off his friction with Memphis. I’m willing to consider this is all part of a contract extension dance...we extend Dave and his coaches now or he takes the Minny job ASAP. Williams is calling his bluff, and Vlade et al probably would like to table any extension talk until after the deadline at least.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s that hard to believe that the whole front office wanted Bagley. The guy is going to be special and he’s putting up numbers while raw as hell. Very little offensive polish yet, needs to learn intracacies of rebounding, team defense, improve 3 point shooting yet he’s already putting up impressive numbers.
I think it's very reasonable to believe that it was unanimous by draft day, but certainly there are a few people that probably leaned Doncic at the start (and we can guess who they are and probably be right). If nobody had stuck their neck out nobody would be concerned about their place on the pecking order.

The real MVP of our FO is Cantanella. Our cap clearing has been incredible, and we’ve done a fantastic job negotiating contracts sice he got there.

I really dislike the Haynes leak, and think Joerger is a really good coach. However, I also think Williams has done a good job. If Williams was planning on bringing in Ime Udoka, for instance, I’d be willing to listen. Joerger has had enough friction with supervisors over the years to infer that he is not the easiest head coach to work with...players love playing for him though. He’s kind of a proto-Larry Brown in that regard.

Let’s also consider that the Minnesota job is going to be open again this offseason, and Dave has wanted that job for a long time. His open courting of a Minny offer helped kick off his friction with Memphis. I’m willing to consider this is all part of a contract extension dance...we extend Dave and his coaches now or he takes the Minny job ASAP. Williams is calling his bluff, and Vlade et al probably would like to table any extension talk until after the deadline at least.
I agree with the bolded part. Not that I disagree with everything else in the post. Ken is the unsung hero that seems to keep getting forgotten. His resume is excellent for his current role and he has been performing his duties brilliantly.

Vlade could've been fired last year and it would be fair. His moves and overall pr has sucked. But it would be stupid to can him now unless there is a better solution in place. The team is young and looking up.

Similarly, the only reason Joeger came into the year with job security is for continuity. It would be hard to look at last year's play style and performance as a success. But this year the team has made a complete 180, and it would be stupid to can him.

It is possible this Williams fellow is the driving force behind the new pace system, but I can't see Joeger being told what to do. I can definitely see Joeger being a pita in order to secure a commitment. I want him to stay, but don't believe he's 100% an innocent angel being targeted by the guys upstairs. Especially with how things went down in MEM. Everybody wants more power and leverage, so go for it when the team is doing well.

There's got to he more to this.

Uh, these are the same players he drafted/traded for you know? If anything this proves that they were merely being used wrong the whole time as more than a few on this board pointed out for almost 2 years.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Firing Joerger just isn’t on the table. What....to bring in an unknown entity? Firing Joerger would possibly burn down what is left of any hope many fans have in the franchise turning it around. After the Malone incident, if this happened again, it would be showing they haven’t learned anything.

The other thing is that Joerger is good. Good enough to be here long term. He has done exactly what he has said he would do in developing these guys and that includes being tank commander last year in keeping the reins on these young guys (read staying in a slow paced offense and learning how to operate in a half court offense....tank commander) and has taken off the training wheels.

And despite the overreaction from some here, we aren’t supposed to be 10-11 while playing the third toughest schedule in the NBA. So far, worthy of coach of the year talk.

Firing Joerger just isn’t on the table. What....to bring in an unknown entity? Firing Joerger would possibly burn down what is left of any hope many fans have in the franchise turning it around. After the Malone incident, if this happened again, it would be showing they haven’t learned anything.

The other thing is that Joerger is good. Good enough to be here long term. He has done exactly what he has said he would do in developing these guys and that includes being tank commander last year in keeping the reins on these young guys (read staying in a slow paced offense and learning how to operate in a half court offense....tank commander) and has taken off the training wheels.

And despite the overreaction from some here, we aren’t supposed to be 10-11 while playing the third toughest schedule in the NBA. So far, worthy of coach of the year talk.
Only way it would be is if Williams is now in charge and wants his own guy, but I agree with the Joerger sentiment. I don’t see a better coach available

It’s amazing how some people defend Vlade. I can name a number of gaffs since he’s been GM.

Vlade did not get Fox. He was drafted. Any GM would have taken him.
Buddy was part of the Cousins trade. Which, was a disaster. Essentially, Vlade could have traded a perennial All star for a lot more the season before.
Hield is a good player. But. He is not an All Star.
Besides Fox, Vlade trades down for..JJJ(Garbage) and Giles(Unknown what he’ll be at this point)
Bjelica is a very average stretch 4. Who actually looks very bad over the past month.
Bogdan was a nice pick up. But, he’s definitely on the older side.
Go ahead and link us to the posts you made that charted out the moves you would have done BEFORE those other moves were made. Yours is the weakest kind of argument.

The most laughable of all these "critiques" is complaining about Bogdan's age. The dude basically came into the league as a complete NBA player.

Fox was the consensus after Phoenix picked Jackson I would say

The drafts/trades/ signings have been questionable IMO outside of Fox/Buddy/Bogdan, with Fox IMO being consensus and the Kings getting initially panned for Cousins return (Buddy)

Doncic looking like a beast player would’ve sealed any deal for me personally, and maybe Vivek. That’s when we started hearing about this stuff. The 2 pick was a crucial decision that had to go right for jobs, and Dave vouched for Bagley too. It was an important decision. Bagley is improving and looks to be a good player, but you can’t have Luke looking like a top 5 potential player
I don't think Dave had a choice.

Here is another perspective

Dave wants the Minnesota job and is playing for the short term over the long term. Why? He better positions himsef for Thibs job by getting the Kings closer to the playoffs. But playing Kosta and no minutes for Giles hurts the teams long term future.

So under that scenario who do you support?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is ****ing bush league if that’s how it went down . That’s grounds for knocking someone’s teeth down their throat...and then firing them.
Totally and completely agree. I visit other boards on occasion and no one thought replacing Youngman was a good move. I'm just surprised Section 101 seems to think I would have supported Williams in this.

Totally and completely agree. I visit other boards on occasion and no one thought replacing Youngman was a good move. I'm just surprised Section 101 seems to think I would have supported Williams in this.
It really rubbed me the wrong way when Youngman was “given a promotion”

Btw who replaced Pete youngman? And has there been any rumors or leaks on why Pete was left go?? I assumed at the time it may have been related to bogdanovic knee or that Pete was just reaching the end of his career and stepping aside

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Btw who replaced Pete youngman? And has there been any rumors or leaks on why Pete was left go?? I assumed at the time it may have been related to bogdanovic knee or that Pete was just reaching the end of his career and stepping aside
Not much has leaked out. There were NEVER any indications that Pete's treatment of the players was anything less than stellar. The only thing said publicly was some stupid story about Pete being assigned to a new exciting position within the organization - or some such crap. There have been murmurs, of course, but at this point it would be irresponsible for me (or anyone else) to point fingers (even though I have very strong suspicions, as do others).

It’s not normal behavior for an assistant GM to feel he has the authority to make waves like this. I just can’t help but question the power structure going on.

Feel sorry for Dave though if there is true doubt about his job though, through no fault of his own.

The problem as I saw it for Dave in the summer was I thought he was inextricably linked to Vlade, because Vivek would not want another coach before GM situation after recent history. I felt/feel Vlade was on more loose ground than Dave