Monte McNair Introductory Press Conference, Weds. Sept. 23, 11:30 AM PT

The way the other teams playing the Kings in the Bubble called out their sets and were prepared only highlighted how ill prepared the Kings were. The Kings poor showing in those Bubble games are what led to Vlade leaving and McNair coming in.

Can someone please explain to me one logical reason for Walton to still be the Coach? Is it purely a cost savings decision? Does Vivek and company feel Walton deserves another chance? Is McNair taking a slower approach so the other Coaches in the league don't go too negative about him and steer clear of the inevitable Kings Coach opening? Was Walton being forced to play Buddy as a ball handler?

I'll say this, one reason they might want to hang onto Walton is that they don't want to add on to the legacy Vivek has created where they are seen as coach disposers. Well, I hate to tell Vivek this but that legacy is already pretty much carved in stone at this point. Walton could change it up and show a willingness to adapt and that's truthfully the only hope at this point. I still point to history and odds. The odds of a handpicked coach lasting after the person that hand picked him is ousted in this fashion is not only a long shot but borderline delusional from a management standpoint. It reeks of wait and see. Vivek is out of touch if he doesn't see the steam rising and waiting will only make it thicker and harder to get through.

The numbers are absolute. The Kings were a better team when Buddy was playing the 6 man role. Bringing up adjustment periods or hypotheticals about Buddy's role on the Sixers or Spurs is unnecessary noise. Simmons/Embid aren't on the Kings and Poppovich isn't coaching the Kings. What is reality is, the Kings sucked when Buddy was in the starting 5 and they played significantly better when he was moved to the 6 man role.

I don't want to go back to this yet again but the only real numbers that should be looked at are the advanced 5 man stats since they are the indicator as to what lineups were working. Without fail, almost every single net positive lineup had Buddy Hield in them. It's irrefutable. His minutes waned as time went on and the stats that matter tell that was a mistake. Also, this team being a small baller was it's only shot according to those same stats. Walton adjusted until his eyeballs nearly popped out of his head but he did stay consistent in his inconsistency so the numbers as a result will be more solid. If this new GM really is the numbers guy he purports himself to be then he has to see it.

I don't want to go back to this yet again but the only real numbers that should be looked at are the advanced 5 man stats since they are the indicator as to what lineups were working. Without fail, almost every single net positive lineup had Buddy Hield in them. It's irrefutable. His minutes waned as time went on and the stats that matter tell that was a mistake. Also, this team being a small baller was it's only shot according to those same stats. Walton adjusted until his eyeballs nearly popped out of his head but he did stay consistent in his inconsistency so the numbers as a result will be more solid. If this new GM really is the numbers guy he purports himself to be then he has to see it.
Nothing is more irrefutable than the win loss record. Vivek didn’t push Vlade out because he failed to maximize the team’s 5 man stats. Teams that make the playoffs are not based on 5 man stats. A coach’s record isn’t based on 5 man stats...

Last edited:
Yeah, the blame can go around but in the end who cares, the question is where did the wrongs stem from and how do you correct them? If the total stupidity were limited to Buddy it would be an easy fix but we saw complete fail go on all year long in various ways which again led to yet another recently signed "big piece" banging his fork on the dinner table until he was allowed to excuse himself in Dedmon. Bogdan was unhappy first in his role. Then Buddy took his place and Buddy even came out earlier in the year and expressed his own misuse and lack of being put in catch and shoot situations. Waltons answer? We'll let Buddy play backup PG. Just ludicrous. Buddy can be a HUGE asset but he has to be used towards his strengths. In the bubble we saw misuse across the board and it led to absolute futility. I'm sorry, but if a coach can't see Fox and Buddy being perfect counterparts on paper and at least make an attempt to play them together in a proper system then this isn't fixable with that person. We will know very, very early on where this heads. Either Walton changes or his GM changes the players for him. If it's the latter then that begs another major and concerning question. If they wouldn't do that for a HOF level coach in George Karl how the F can they justify doing that for Luke Walton? Kangz.
The bigger concern for me is what’s between the ears. Buddy’s complete unwillingness to play the 6 man role is just baffling. And his recent history relative to his earlier buddylove persona is flashing shades of terrell owens who went from sirs and maams to being a complete cancer.

The bigger concern for me is what’s between the ears. Buddy’s complete unwillingness to play the 6 man role is just baffling. And his recent history relative to his earlier buddylove persona is flashing shades of terrell owens who went from sirs and maams to being a complete cancer.
I hear you, I’m happy to move on from buddylove. I’m curious though, is Bogdan more likely to except a 6th man role? Im not keen on him being the starting 2 either, really hoping that starting 2 is addressed in the draft, I know that’s a rookie, or in a trade for Buddy say Thybulle.

I hear you, I’m happy to move on from buddylove. I’m curious though, is Bogdan more likely to except a 6th man role? Im not keen on him being the starting 2 either, really hoping that starting 2 is addressed in the draft, I know that’s a rookie, or in a trade for Buddy say Thybulle.
The answer is no.

It's easily forgotten by now but he made the very same stink before the season started. Which is fine by me as I'm ready to move on from most everyone and have tank season back on the menu.

The answer is no.

It's easily forgotten by now but he made the very same stink before the season started. Which is fine by me as I'm ready to move on from most everyone and have tank season back on the menu.
You'll always have issues if there is the combination of the team losing and the starters are not hands down better than their backup. Winning cures all. But the Kings aren't there yet. Which is why stacking the team with average vets this soon in Fox, Bagley and Giles career was a bad idea. The young guys are more talented, but the vets may outplay them due to experience. With regards to Buddy and Bogi, each can make an argument to start. That argument will innevitably rear it's head when the loses stack up. So, while both of them may have to accept a 6th man role in their careers, it will be hard to convince them they shouldn't start for THIS team.

Nothing is more irrefutable than the win loss record. Vivek didn’t push Vlade out because he failed to maximize the team’s 5 man stats. Teams that make the playoffs are not based on 5 man stats. A coach’s record isn’t based on 5 man stats...
The record is what it is. The trick is figuring out how you got there. That's how advanced stats should be used. They paint a very clear picture of many of the reasons you got the result you did. Vlade likely got pushed out because Walton didn't maximize those stats. That's the coaches job, not the GM. Vlades final nail went by the name Luke Walton.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it was as much unwillingness as it was misuse and MPG. Had Buddy been used the way he should be my bet is he wouldn't have been a 6th man for very long the way Walton ran his rotations. Buddy even came out about how he was being used. People were blasting Buddy for what he was doing when he was openly saying play me the way you should be. That is a player who clearly knows his limitations to at least some extent. The team has let his fester. In a perfect world you wouldn't have to manage personalities but it's no coincidence that this franchise has even turned the likes of George Hill and Dewayne Dedmon into malcontents. That's practically a feat in and of itself and says far more about the franchise than any player.

https://clutchpoints.com/kings-news...-about-lack-of-catch-and-shoot-opportunities/

The answer is no.

He was already starting to pout when he was there. The fact that this ever even turned into an either/or with Buddy and Bogdan is stupid. Plain stupid. Too late now though and McNair has to be receptive to allowing that bridge to stay in the water and pick one way to go. I'd go with the elite catch and shoot player you're already paying big money to if for nothing more than if he can build some value you at least get something back out of him if you do decide to blow it up. If you sign Bogdan back and proceed to watch it burn then this team is again looking at a 2-3 year plan just to get back to zero again. This is why I was really hoping Vlade held onto that space last summer rather than blowing it on 5 man depth at the non-glittery positions of the modern NBA. Be flexible. Adding more money to the cap to keep your sinking situation intact couldn't be the flexibility McNair is talking about.

The answer is no.

I think the difference is Bogi made his through “sources” “leaks” and in that fashion so we all kinda questioned the legitimacy. Buddy on the other hand, couldn’t get through post game pressers without stepping on the city and franchise that has supported him to that points and basically was way more direct and obnoxious about it

No way Doc would take the Kings job.
It would at least be a hopeful sign if it didn't look like Vivek was more than willing to just let things sit in this muck. It could still work out, and/or this could all be with the intent they are going to blow it up anyway but bringing in competent people with experience would certainly be abnormal which for the Kings could only be an improvement.

Doc Rivers doesn't take on rebuilding projects and frankly if there was ever a year that we went all out tank from day one, considering the likelihood of the season being played in empty arenas so season ticket holders aren't sold out holding the bag paying thousands for garbage, do it now. That's also why I am borderline ok with Luke getting a second year. Next season is not make or break. It's a tear down year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Can I have a copy of the Kings’ P&L statement and balance sheet which you’ve reviewed.

Much appreciated.
There's a difference between can't and don't want to. I get that they're probably bleeding money, going to go through at least a mini rebuild, which during that time, the team will suck and be back in the lottery. So why bring in a new and hopefully better coach to suffer through all that. Let Walton take the hit, fire him, and then start with a new coach the following season.

Can I have a copy of the Kings’ P&L statement and balance sheet which you’ve reviewed.

Much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure that every NBA team shows a paper loss. That kind of creative accounting is necessary whenever they need a new arena or it comes time to negotiate the various CBAs (officials are under one too, yeah?).

Much appreciated.
Not sure where I came across it--think it was either in the Athletic or a Carmichael Dave convo with Amick/Jones. Anyway, the news was that prior to Covid, the Kings owners were on track to get a dividend this year; however, because of Covid, there has already been a capital call.

The dividend would've been the first ever for this current ownership group.

If anyone knows the source, please provide it. But the translation is pretty clear, the Kings are bleeding.

can’t remember the last time our scouting was worthy of praise, so I’m not really hurt over that one
McClish was seen as an up and comer and did good things in Stockton. Scouts don't decide who to draft.

The bigger news is that this organization appears to be cash-strapped. It is not strange to assume it will impact Monte's ability to assemble a new scouting department of respectable size.

McClish was seen as an up and comer and did good things in Stockton. Scouts don't decide who to draft.

The bigger news is that this organization appears to be cash-strapped. It is not strange to assume it will impact Monte's ability to assemble a new scouting department of respectable size.
Carmichael Dave said on twitter that the Kings FO was 2X Houston's. That other teams allowed the GM to run both the parent and the minor league club. That said, yea, this is yet another sign of the team's bleeding and another reminder that sports teams tend to be thought of as large corporations, but their economics are really much closer to small businesses.