Marvin Bagley breaks hand again

I’m pretty much done worrying about Bagley. Even if he makes a leap in year 4 (not unthinkable, especially for bigs), we’d still have to worry about the fact that he’s a glassman who’ll miss at least 30 games a year. Trade him and get that Vlade stank outta the building.

We got the 2nd pick in an awesome draft and then Vlade (and Williams) pooped the bed so hard we gotta toss the mattress. It is what it is.

I’d be more bummed if Fox and Hali weren’t looking like an insanely great foundation to build a team around.
I really think there is virtually a zero percent chance he will be here beyond year 4. I think the damage is already done with Team Bagley. If he completely explodes next year, they will want him out to spite the kings. If he doesn’t they will blame the kings and push for a change. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now. If he doesn’t get moved during the off season we will get absolute pennies on the dollar or nothing at all. I think the era of trying to force feed Marvin’s growth is over. If he comes back this year he will be coming off the bench.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I really think there is virtually a zero percent chance he will be here beyond year 4. I think the damage is already done with Team Bagley. If he completely explodes next year, they will want him out to spite the kings. If he doesn’t they will blame the kings and push for a change. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now. If he doesn’t get moved during the off season we will get absolute pennies on the dollar or nothing at all. I think the era of trying to force feed Marvin’s growth is over. If he comes back this year he will be coming off the bench.
Ah yes, team Bagley.... I didn’t even consider them. Definitely another red flag to add onto iffy health and iffy skill set.

I think you’re probably right about Bags being gone after year 4 (at the latest). McNair doesn’t seem like the type to double down on his predecessors mistakes either, or else we’d probably still have Bogi dominating the ball and jacking up stupid 3s every game..

It is a shame. I think that with another coach, and better health, Bagley could have been that electrifying offensive force Vlade thought he’d be when he drafted him. Of corse his defense would probably still sink us...

My preference would be for him to keep working with the King's development team and medical staff. And to support the team during home games at least. Sort of seems like low hanging fruit. But whatever.
Yeah a broken hand doesn’t keep you from working on your defensive footwork and movement. Or working on his right hand. If true he isn’t working with a Kings developmental coach that is disappointing.

I will just console myself by knowing we'd never have gotten Haliburton if we had picked someone else. And Fox + Haliburton is aces.
Excellent way to look at it. Not even joking, Fox and Hali have the potential to be one of the best backcourts of all time. Fox is still just 23. Crazy thing is I think Hali might even be better. But I can't think of two rather ball-dominant guards that seem so complimentary. It's weird. Good weird.

Excellent way to look at it. Not even joking, Fox and Hali have the potential to be one of the best backcourts of all time. Fox is still just 23. Crazy thing is I think Hali might even be better. But I can't think of two rather ball-dominant guards that seem so complimentary. It's weird. Good weird.
A bit too early to make such proclamations, Vinnie.... don't you think that you may be eating too much of the Kings Cannoli?

Ah yes, team Bagley.... I didn’t even consider them. Definitely another red flag to add onto iffy health and iffy skill set.

I think you’re probably right about Bags being gone after year 4 (at the latest). McNair doesn’t seem like the type to double down on his predecessors mistakes either, or else we’d probably still have Bogi dominating the ball and jacking up stupid 3s every game..

It is a shame. I think that with another coach, and better health, Bagley could have been that electrifying offensive force Vlade thought he’d be when he drafted him. Of corse his defense would probably still sink us...
This is pretty much why I look at Bagley and see him as destined to be one of those guys that's either a starter on a bad team or actually productive bench player on a good team. He just doesn't play enough defense to be a great starter, and his fragility makes him undependable. I don't know if he would be happy sitting on the king's bench so I suspect the best thing to do is move him as soon as possible.

Yeah a broken hand doesn’t keep you from working on your defensive footwork and movement. Or working on his right hand. If true he isn’t working with a Kings developmental coach that is disappointing.
Those were my thoughts. Of course, always an element of speculation, and assume the team approved his leave, etc. But as an outsider - his injury shouldn't completely stop his participation in his workplace.

I'm saddened that we've arrived to this point. Remember when they had Harry spend some time with him during a pre-draft workout? He told Marvin of something special they were building in Sactown and Marvin was intrigued. At the time of the draft he actually wanted to be in Sacramento. Then we squander Harry after a lengthy investment, our fan base grows carcinogenic towards Marvin over missing out on you-know-who, Old Man Bagley gets a Twitter account and goes off his meds, and now here we are.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm saddened that we've arrived to this point. Remember when they had Harry spend some time with him during a pre-draft workout? He told Marvin of something special they were building in Sactown and Marvin was intrigued. At the time of the draft he actually wanted to be in Sacramento. Then we squander Harry after a lengthy investment, our fan base grows carcinogenic towards Marvin over missing out on you-know-who, Old Man Bagley gets a Twitter account and goes off his meds, and now here we are.
That's one way to look at it. If Bagley had been playing great at any point in the last 3 years none of this would matter though. The Kings drafted him and gave him a $36 million dollar contract. He started all 37 games he played in this season. Carcinogenic fans aside, it's not like the team has done him dirty in some way. He's a pretty good player who came in with franchise player expectations. That's a tough road for any young player to walk down but I don't think he regrets being picked 2nd overall and the rookie slot contract that earned him. Just like with any veteran player, the burden of expectation comes along with that salary.

If Sacramento is tough good luck in any major market.

He can't help not being someone else but he can work to improve - to be fair I think he has - but he's got to do it defensively too. I wonder how much of that is on the coach and if enough can happen next year to turn it around. Unfortunately for him he has received sub par coaching most of his career outside one year at Duke.

That's one way to look at it. If Bagley had been playing great at any point in the last 3 years none of this would matter though. The Kings drafted him and gave him a $36 million dollar contract. He started all 37 games he played in this season. Carcinogenic fans aside, it's not like the team has done him dirty in some way. He's a pretty good player who came in with franchise player expectations. That's a tough road for any young player to walk down but I don't think he regrets being picked 2nd overall and the rookie slot contract that earned him. Just like with any veteran player, the burden of expectation comes along with that salary.
Thsnk you,, great points. I must say, for $36 million i think i could adjust to high expectations quite positively!.

If Sacramento is tough good luck in any major market.

He can't help not being someone else but he can work to improve - to be fair I think he has - but he's got to do it defensively too. I wonder how much of that is on the coach and if enough can happen next year to turn it around. Unfortunately for him he has received sub par coaching most of his career outside one year at Duke.
Sacramento isn't tough. This city has just lost so much that they've turned on their own. They want a savior so bad that if a player isn't that, they want to string him up. Some perspective has been lost and the irrational arguments are being justified by cherry picked stats. The amount of a guys contract is also another convenient thing to use for cover. Barnes was vilified for his contract. He averages one more pt per game and one more rebound per game this year and all of a sudden his contract isn't an issue. Not buying it. Barnes just wasn't being the savior we all wanted, therefore Barnes was bad.

The Kings went 7-2 with Bagley in the starting lineup. They went 7-2 just now and fans are gloating that they are winning because Marvin is gone. We've gone from Marvin has empty stats to Marvin has empty wins.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm curious, when did 2nd overall picks start getting paid so much?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm curious, when did 2nd overall picks start getting paid so much?
Up through the 2016-2017 season, increases in rookie salary at the top of the draft were pretty modest (but more or less continuous). That year the #2 overall would have gotten about $24M over the first 4 years (at 120% of scale). Over two years that jumped to $33.5M and then $36M in Bagley's year. It was $39M for both '19-'20 and '20-'21, with no change due to the pandemic. This year's #2 will get almost $41M at 120% of scale.

But really, that's still only about the level of an MLE contract of the same length.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Up through the 2016-2017 season, increases in rookie salary at the top of the draft were pretty modest (but more or less continuous). That year the #2 overall would have gotten about $24M over the first 4 years (at 120% of scale). Over two years that jumped to $33.5M and then $36M in Bagley's year. It was $39M for both '19-'20 and '20-'21, with no change due to the pandemic. This year's #2 will get almost $41M at 120% of scale.

But really, that's still only about the level of an MLE contract of the same length.
indeed a MLE contract from 6 or 7 years ago where good role players would get that type of contract. NBA needs to do something with these absurd rookie contracts but it won't happen so I'm just venting here. Thanks for the clarification.

Bagley update:

third-year power forward Marvin Bagley is set to rejoin the Kings Thursday in Phoenix. The former No. 2 overall draft pick has been away from the team while healing up from a fractured left hand.

Bagley will likely need time to acclimate back to the team after missing more than a month of action
Link

Just back in time to put up empty stats in meaningless games (Buddy Hield few years ago) to make everyone think yeah we should keep him despite proving over and over he's not a good player.
The key is can he learn to play defense. Ideally the play all the rookies and Bagley lots more minutes from here on out.

If the keep playing Fox 40 minutes on the first night of a back to back the whole organization should be removed.