Marvin Bagley III explains why he liked tweet suggesting Kings trade him

I dont know what is more amazing to me: how many professional basketball players cannot set a proper screen or how professional basketball coaches and player development guys can't get players to learn how to set a proper screen.
There are two parts to setting a pick. First, too many big men don't get big enough when setting a pick. Second, the player using the pick has to let the screener get set before he uses it. This is something that Buddy is really bad at (goes too soon a lot). It also amazes me how many NBA players leave space between them and the screener. This just gives the defender a better chance atfighting through the screen.

There are two parts to setting a pick. First, too many big men don't get big enough when setting a pick. Second, the player using the pick has to let the screener get set before he uses it. This is something that Buddy is really bad at (goes too soon a lot). It also amazes me how many NBA players leave space between them and the screener. This just gives the defender a better chance atfighting through the screen.
Yeah that's an important fact, and lighter bigs tend to move into the screen since they don't have the bulk to brick wall a defender and they'll pick up fouls that way. You have a lot of PF's playing C now and they are at times no heavier than the guards they're screening. Traditionally those are bigs that want to slip most pick and rolls.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't understand why the two are mutually exclusive. In fact, setting good screens is a tool that can create space for a player to take a three. If anything setting a good screen equips you to take advantage of three point shooting ability.
And here I agree with you. ;)
I also don't think that these two are mutually exclusive but as you mention they rather work together.

I thought both Fox and Bagley made big improvements this past year, and both mentioned working with Rico Hines.
Bagley has got by on athleticism his whole life with his Dad as his coach. The proof that he can learn if he wants is playing in the Finals for the Suns right now. Ayton came into the league with pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses as Bagley. Different styles, but similar. Ayton has made huge strides this year on defense and on offense. I think a lot of that can be contributed to CP3. The whole has a different attitude on defense this season. Ayton recently said that CP3 showed him how to set a proper screen and you can see the difference it makes on offense.
I would not say I saw huge improvements in Bagley’s game this year but that is a subjective matter of opinion. I think he still sets poor screens, has poor defensive stance fundamentals. Is still left hand dominant....

Perhaps his shooting is a touch better but we shall see if it carrries over

I would not say I saw huge improvements in Bagley’s game this year but that is a subjective matter of opinion. I think he still sets poor screens, has poor defensive stance fundamentals. Is still left hand dominant....

Perhaps his shooting is a touch better but we shall see if it carrries over
Obviously, Fox made much bigger strides than Bagley.

Bagley's awareness on offense was better. He was seeing passes when he had the ball that he didn't in the past. This was especially true when on the move. Previously, once he made his move he wad shooting. This season he made passes to the corner and found cutters several times. Still needs to get better, but was improved. I also thought he was more patient with the ball around the basket instead of just going straight up. On defense he is still thinking too much, but is seeing where he should help or double. He is also realizing when he made a mistake (helped late or went further than he should). He has a long way to go on defense, but recognition of what he should do is more than he had the previous season.

The danger with trading Bagley now would be that Monte would set a very bad precedent for players and agents to just whine and complain and get their wish to be traded.

Much like what happened with Vlade, I don't want the Kings to be viewed as a team where agents use the Kings to get their player that big contract (i.e. George Hill, Dedmon, etc.), whine and then get moved for peanuts to a more desirable destination.

The Kings need to hold firm on getting a solid return on Bagley, either a young player with patential (i.e. Bey or Nesmith or multiple 1st round picks) or include him in a trade to get an all-star level player (i.e. Myles Turner or Tobias Harris) , if they chose to move him. None of this 2nd rounder non-sense.

Otherwise, the Kings would be better off having him stay and prove his worth to the rest of the NBA.

The danger with trading Bagley now would be that Monte would set a very bad precedent for players and agents to just whine and complain and get their wish to be traded.

Much like what happened with Vlade, I don't want the Kings to be viewed as a team where agents use the Kings to get their player that big contract (i.e. George Hill, Dedmon, etc.), whine and then get moved for peanuts to a more desirable destination.

The Kings need to hold firm on getting a solid return on Bagley, either a young player with patential (i.e. Bey or Nesmith or multiple 1st round picks) or include him in a trade to get an all-star level player (i.e. Myles Turner or Tobias Harris) , if they chose to move him. None of this 2nd rounder non-sense.

Otherwise, the Kings would be better off having him stay and prove his worth to the rest of the NBA.
I don’t disagree, but there is something desirable about simply turning the page on what is inevitable.

I don’t disagree, but there is something desirable about simply turning the page on what is inevitable.
IMO, that would be a big mistake. We have an asset and you need to either find out what you have or get as much in return as possible in a trade. There is really no rush to dump Bagley for peanuts.

He's in a position where he needs to ball out this year. If he continues to languish in injury and not improve on defense, he's going to be in for a very big surprise come next summer. His motivation this year will be himself, Team Bagley, he needs to have a great year on the court so that Team Bagley gets paid next summer. And if he does show great improvement, the Kings would be in a better position to trade him or re-sign him.

Last edited:
So his lack of success is the Kings fault. Got it.
I still have no clue what anyone saw in Bagley. Scouts were going crazy, teams and fans were making him out to be a surefire 10 time all-star. I watched him play, watched his highlights, all I saw was a big guy getting put backs and dunks. Yeah he was fast and could out jump people, but I didn't see anything special in him when he played. Contrast that to Luka, and I knew from the first minute of watching him that he was going to be something special.

Okay okay, chill it with the rage. I know we're past muh luka and muh bagley arguments, I'm just sharing my memories here.

I still have no clue what anyone saw in Bagley.
I have no clue because he was not my pick, but I have a feeling it was the fact they saw raw athleticism and that he reached the level he did basically on genetics alone, because he wasn't getting strong coaching before Duke, basically his dad ran his AAU team around star Marvin and he switched high schools several times before reclassifying, presumably because Team Bagley didn't like whatever his high school programs were running.

So they figured with some coaching he'd be unstoppable, rather than the sad realization that most folks born on third base go through life thinking they hit a triple and wondering why all these jerks keep asking more out of them.

I have no clue because he was not my pick, but I have a feeling it was the fact they saw raw athleticism and that he reached the level he did basically on genetics alone, because he wasn't getting strong coaching before Duke, basically his dad ran his AAU team around star Marvin and he switched high schools several times before reclassifying, presumably because Team Bagley didn't like whatever his high school programs were running.

So they figured with some coaching he'd be unstoppable, rather than the sad realization that most folks born on third base go through life thinking they hit a triple and wondering why all these jerks keep asking more out of them.
The last sentence is a killer:)

I still have no clue what anyone saw in Bagley. Scouts were going crazy, teams and fans were making him out to be a surefire 10 time all-star. I watched him play, watched his highlights, all I saw was a big guy getting put backs and dunks. Yeah he was fast and could out jump people, but I didn't see anything special in him when he played. Contrast that to Luka, and I knew from the first minute of watching him that he was going to be something special.

Okay okay, chill it with the rage. I know we're past muh luka and muh bagley arguments, I'm just sharing my memories here.
They probably saw 20 and 10, which he is putting up per minute with enough minutes and consistency to know it's not likely a fluke. Also his potential in pick and roll with Fox had to be a big factor. Yet, they've let him spot up for Holmes as he runs pick and roll more than just about any other player in the league. Kangz.

They probably saw 20 and 10, which he is putting up per minute with enough minutes and consistency to know it's not likely a fluke. Also his potential in pick and roll with Fox had to be a big factor. Yet, they've let him spot up for Holmes as he runs pick and roll more than just about any other player in the league. Kangz.
Yeah I absolutely see 20/10 as did everyone pre-draft, the real question is defense. He's trying, I believe that. But if he can't stay healthy none of that matters. He needs the reps to improve and he isn't getting them and the team can't wait forever on a guy who can't stay on the floor.

Which is the real crazy thing here because who saw Bagley and saw a guy that was going to be broken? Almost all the other big men (and really at this point, it's only Ayton who is thriving, and he was most likely to break or be lazy imho) are not measuring up. So much for the year of the big man :(

I think the original plan made sense on paper. Dedmon was supposed to be a stretch 5 and open the lane for bagley to pick n roll or fox to drive. It was a mix of holmes outplaying and dedmon sucking and bagley not being able to stay on the court that made the plan fail.

I think the original plan made sense on paper. Dedmon was supposed to be a stretch 5 and open the lane for bagley to pick n roll or fox to drive. It was a mix of holmes outplaying and dedmon sucking and bagley not being able to stay on the court that made the plan fail.
Had Bagley not gotten hurt and Dedmon not forgotten how to play basketball after he got paid, well take me to this alternate universe.