Marvin Bagley III explains why he liked tweet suggesting Kings trade him

So much of the dirt Kings Fans throw at MBIII is speculative nonsense. Marvin is working out with other Kings players in LA:
Fans,especially those of a failed franchise, tend to
over react. However, all of this could have been cleared up if Marvin owned his desire to leave or cleared up a misunderstanding if there was one. Instead we are left to speculate. I’m admittedly tired of it all and just want to get back to basketball

He's been in the league long enough to not play kiddie games like a butthurt 14 year old. If he played this right he could easily convince anyone that it's simply the Kings being Kangz and in terms of them putting role guys in front of top flight potential it was. Nobody wants to hear a former number 2 pick play the victim card. Marvin needs to wise up and realize his best bet at a ticket out of town is to man up and show out, not spill even more garbage into the already toxic waters so that the franchise will just release him like they have a tendency to do with lottery/1 round pick bigs. If Marvin wants out then his agent better be on the horn with a package the Kings like on draft night otherwise earn that starting C spot. It is stupid that has to be earned considering forcing top picks to earn minutes over veteran role players, well... causes this. Gee, didn't see this coming.
He is definitely not media savvy. Introverted like I mentioned before. The fans are not going to hear what they want from him, because that's not his personality. It's the fans who are begging for validation, not him. The fans are actually playing the victim with this whole Luka crap and demanding Marvin profess his love for the city. Marvin has been posting pics of himself in the gym and on the court since the season ended. Not good enough from this fan base. He needs to be decked out in Kings gear and begging the city for forgiveness.

Marvin has a lot to prove on the court and he's said as much. That thick skin that everyone says he should have? Well this is what it looks like for a player to not care about the outside noise.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I mean...you can’t fake your way to being the #1 high school player and then 1st team All American college then 1st team All NBA Rookie team. Regardless of where his pro career goes, the kid is not a fraud.

The only time he hasn't had success is with the Sacramento Kings with two coaches who notoriously don't do well with young talent, a GM who was in over his head and an organization that has been hot garbage for 15 years. But yeah, Marvin needs lessons from Kings fans on how to be successful.
I think you are missing the point. In this case, dad has been on Twitter asking for the Kings to trade his son…..and it’s not just any dad but a notoriously loud one. Marvin does nothing to squash what his dad says. Fast forward to the latest Twitter gaffe and then he proceeds to say he can like anything he wants because it’s his Twitter, yeah, I think the kid could probably take a lesson on how to not alienate a fan base……take a lesson from damn near anyone not in Team Bagley.

I’ve been supportive and patient with the kid but this type of behavior is just moronic on Team Bagleys part.

I think you are missing the point. In this case, dad has been on Twitter asking for the Kings to trade his son…..and it’s not just any dad but a notoriously loud one. Marvin does nothing to squash what his dad says. Fast forward to the latest Twitter gaffe and then he proceeds to say he can like anything he wants because it’s his Twitter, yeah, I think the kid could probably take a lesson on how to not alienate a fan base……take a lesson from damn near anyone not in Team Bagley.

I’ve been supportive and patient with the kid but this type of behavior is just moronic on Team Bagleys part.
What Bagley did recently on twitter you can blame him for, but not what his Dad does. If I had been in his position, I wouldn't presume to think I could control my Dad. I'm sure all three Ball kids wish Lavar Ball would shut up as well, but we all know that he won't.

dude12

Hall of Famer
What Bagley did recently on twitter you can blame him for, but not what his Dad does. If I had been in his position, I wouldn't presume to think I could control my Dad. I'm sure all three Ball kids wish Lavar Ball would shut up as well, but we all know that he won't.
When Fox’s dad got involved in a Twitter beef with Coach Bagley and said something stupid, DeAaron told the media the next time this happens, you go ask my dad and here’s his number. Fox snuffed it out. Marvin and Team Bagley are pouring buckets of gasoline on the situation. He’s a willing participant.

All Marvin had to do was say something like Fox or Halliburton says about wanting to get Sac into the playoffs. Really that simple.

The point isn't lost on me. Bagley and Team Bagley are not media savvy. I've said as much.

I'm in the minority, but I don't care to police people's behavior opinions and feelings off the court if they're not breaking the law. Once you step on the court, it's fair game though.

When Fox’s dad got involved in a Twitter beef with Coach Bagley and said something stupid, DeAaron told the media the next time this happens, you go ask my dad and here’s his number. Fox snuffed it out. Marvin and Team Bagley are pouring buckets of gasoline on the situation. He’s a willing participant.

All Marvin had to do was say something like Fox or Halliburton says about wanting to get Sac into the playoffs. Really that simple.
If you think Bagley saying what Fox said would've been enough, then you haven't been paying attention. There is nothing he could've said publicly to satisfy the fans that wouldn't have had him bad mouthing his Father in some way. Him choosing to say nothing publicly while laughing about with his teammates was probably his best option with how to deal with his Dad.

From Unincorporated County Dave’s latest missive:

Not to mention the extremely under-publicized and private eye rolls from more than a couple teammates when Team Bagley rears its head. I have seen firsthand that these eye rolls, while nothing to be blown out of proportion, do exist.

It’s basically “here we go again” when they do.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
He is definitely not media savvy. Introverted like I mentioned before. The fans are not going to hear what they want from him, because that's not his personality. It's the fans who are begging for validation, not him. The fans are actually playing the victim with this whole Luka crap and demanding Marvin profess his love for the city. Marvin has been posting pics of himself in the gym and on the court since the season ended. Not good enough from this fan base. He needs to be decked out in Kings gear and begging the city for forgiveness.

Marvin has a lot to prove on the court and he's said as much. That thick skin that everyone says he should have? Well this is what it looks like for a player to not care about the outside noise.
I think you misinterpret/represent what those of us (like me) who have been very patient with Bagley are saying when we suggest that he just show some love to the city. All I'm saying is this market is a reasonably easy market to succeed with a very low bar. I'm not demanding anything, I'm pointing out with the slightest attitude adjustment he could win over the fans and correct course. The fact entering a contract/prove it year he is still looking for an easy out is very alarming and why I am now out of patience with the kid.

I think you misinterpret/represent what those of us (like me) who have been very patient with Bagley are saying when we suggest that he just show some love to the city. All I'm saying is this market is a reasonably easy market to succeed with a very low bar. I'm not demanding anything, I'm pointing out with the slightest attitude adjustment he could win over the fans and correct course. The fact entering a contract/prove it year he is still looking for an easy out is very alarming and why I am now out of patience with the kid.
The easy part of this market is that if you dance and smile at the camera and profess your love for the city, then it's all good. Not everyone is built like that. The "tougher" markets really just want you to perform on the court.

He really does need to play elsewhere, no matter the reason. We know it. He knows it. Why pretend?

The easy part of this market is that if you dance and smile at the camera and profess your love for the city, then it's all good. Not everyone is built like that. The "tougher" markets really just want you to perform on the court.

He really does need to play elsewhere, no matter the reason. We know it. He knows it. Why pretend?
I mean it's not like he's really done either. He has neither been a fan favorite who loves the city nor performed on the court.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I mean it's not like he's really done either. He has neither been a fan favorite who loves the city nor performed on the court.
Chris Webber early in his career showed you could do the latter while being ambivalent on the former and you'd also get your lawn mowed.

"Liking the city" is a bare minimum for dogpoop players to do.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Team Bagley and Philly fans are made for each other.
If Bagley could be put into a deal for Simmons that would insure he gets the royal treatment. Hell even if he's a throw in on someone else's deal for Simmons make it happen.

You know the party is over when Carmichael Dave writes this about you, read the whole thing.

There's a fair amount of hyperbole in that piece, especially in the contention that Bagley would be booed out of the arena on opening night if he is still here. While the boundaries may be blurring, and even the Bee and other traditional media outlets have picked up on the issue, the Internet still doesn't = real life, and I'm not sure a majority of the fans in the arena for the home opener will be as upset about this as "Kings Twitter" (especially those who are complaining about this "festering" and yet can't stop themselves from continuing to Tweet and post about it) seem to be at this moment.

Let's not forget, Peja and Boogie both actually made more concrete trade demands at various points, and they still became/remained fan favorites for a long time afterwards.

There's a fair amount of hyperbole in that piece, especially in the contention that Bagley would be booed out of the arena on opening night if he is still here. While the boundaries may be blurring, and even the Bee has picked up on the issue, the Internet still doesn't = real life, and I'm not sure a majority of the fans in the arena for the home opener will be as upset about this as "Kings Twitter" (especially those who are complaining about this "festering" and yet can't stop themselves from continuing to Tweet and post about it) seem to be at this moment.

Let's not forget, Peja and Boogie both actually made more concrete trade demands at various points, and they still became/remained fan favorites for a long time afterwards.
Yeah well those guys were good. At this point Buddy and Bagley are going to hear it on opening night.

Yeah well those guys were good.
Maybe that's it. I just thought--given my own preference, the preferences of my friends and fellow Kings fans I know, and much of what I was rearing here and elsewhere online--that the Bagley pick would have been booed at the Kings in-arena draft night. And what I saw was nothing like the Peja/Wallace pick reception (admittedly, I didn't attend either in person, just going off what I saw online). So, you never know how these things are going to play out.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think it all boils down to unearned saltiness from Bagley.

You have players like Fox, who’s acknowledged that this franchise was in rough shape when he was drafted, but the entire time he’s been here, he talks about how he wants to get this team back to the playoffs. He works on his game (not saying Bagley doesn’t - but we see results with Fox), he has hit the weight room, he doesn’t play passive aggressive games on Twitter…

Then you have Marvin saying he’s ultra competitive and implying a desire to be traded to a playoff team in one breath. All so he can score 50 points and be a superstar or whatever, since apparently he isn’t able to do that here.

I just can’t take his victim stuff seriously. If anyone has been victimized by Marvin being drafted by the Kings, it’s the fans! So if anyone has earned the right to be salty about this, it’s the fans!

Last edited:
So much of the dirt Kings Fans throw at MBIII is speculative nonsense. Marvin is working out with other Kings players in LA:

This is the same old thread where you just need to say something like 'i don't think MBIII is that good' to get at least three likes on your comment.
Good. Most Kings fans don’t want Marvin to fail. People can only react to the information they see and Marvin for better or worse gave us a topic to chat about. I mean realistically we have hashed out most every angle of the upcoming #9 pick.

thank god the Olympics are coming up as a diversion.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Good. Most Kings fans don’t want Marvin to fail.
For as long as he's with this team I certainly don't. I've been patient and defended him at times but he is making it damned hard. There are right and wrong ways to get out of town if you don't like the team but blaming them for every bounce that didn't go your way is absurd.

Fans are fans, they were around way before him and will probably be around way after him. This is a fight he doesn't want to pick because the player never wins. Going head to head against trolls is pointless. Part of that overindulgence in terms of salary should be more than enough to wipe his tears away at night.

The point isn't lost on me. Bagley and Team Bagley are not media savvy. I've said as much.

I'm in the minority, but I don't care to police people's behavior opinions and feelings off the court if they're not breaking the law. Once you step on the court, it's fair game though.
And that's why he needs to button it. The Kings have a FAAAR worse rep than he has. And anyone can see the Kings, injuries aside, haven't made the most out of him and to his credit he has done everything asked. They asked him to spread the floor for a much lesser talent in Holmes and he did it! Fans are always going to be trolls, it's what they do, but he's feeding into it in ways that will hinder his career here and elsewhere. Teams don't deal with headaches anymore, because they don't have to. If you are a PF/C now is not the time to be expressing yourself like this since you are a breed not so in demand these days.

And that's why he needs to button it. The Kings have a FAAAR worse rep than he has. And anyone can see the Kings, injuries aside, haven't made the most out of him and to his credit he has done everything asked. They asked him to spread the floor for a much lesser talent in Holmes and he did it! Fans are always going to be trolls, it's what they do, but he's feeding into it in ways that will hinder his career here and elsewhere. Teams don't deal with headaches anymore, because they don't have to. If you are a PF/C now is not the time to be expressing yourself like this since you are a breed not so in demand these days.
True. He's not trying to win the battle though. He's moved on mentally.

So much of the dirt Kings Fans throw at MBIII is speculative nonsense.
Marvin Bagley III only playing in 47% of all KINGS games the past 3 seasons is not speculative nonsense.

Durability and availability have made up the bulk of the “dirt” KINGS fans throw at him. That, and the childish, unprofessional behavior displayed by team Bagley. Which, again, isn’t speculative nonsense.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Being drafted instead of Mr. Doncic was not his fault and he deserved a chance to prove himself as much as any other player does. Unfortunately for all of us we're 3 years into his NBA career now and the only thing he's proven to be is an occasionally potent scorer who otherwise doesn't contribute much to winning. He was handed a starting spot this past season that he didn't earn because we needed to see if he's worth extending and we're really no closer to answering that question than we were 8 months ago. Injuries are part of that but he did play 1100 minutes (6th most on the team) and was mediocre for most of them.

Also, I don't know why anyone would continue to think this is the fans' fault somehow. We drafted a guy who was a poor defender and straight line driver in college and that's still who he is now. It's not like pointing out his flaws somehow manifested them into reality. Maybe if you want to put on the purple glasses and only see the upside this may come as a surprise that he isn't an All-NBA scoring monster by now but just like previous Kings draft picks who were taken too early and washed out despite overwhelming belief from the fanbase that they were going to be great -- the warning signs were there from the beginning.

Last edited: