Marvin Bagley III explains why he liked tweet suggesting Kings trade him

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he isn't wrong that he can choose to like and post what he pleases and since players express their emotions on social media it's easy to get picked apart and tell when its time to get rid of a player. Does anyone remember when Bledsoe asked out of Phoenix through twitter?

he isn't wrong that he can choose to like and post what he pleases and since players express their emotions on social media it's easy to get picked apart and tell when its time to get rid of a player. Does anyone remember when Bledsoe asked out of Phoenix through twitter?
me thinks Bledsoe may have regrets at the moment!

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
This guy says he is a competitor but expects everything handed to him. Daddy blesses you with good genes and then coddled you into an oversized baby. You have it so good in Sacramento and you don't have a clue. I hope that you show the fire you claim to have and turn it around for all of our sakes but if you get your way I can't wait to see you roast in a market that actually expects more.

kb02

All-Star
Here's what I read:

“First of all, it’s my Twitter ... it’s my Twitter and has my name on it, I can like whatever I choose and, please, and whatever I feel like liking, you know what I mean? (ME)
But, I mean that that just came from frustration. I wouldn’t even say frustration, just that built-up fire. I think I did it after watching Trae [Young] go for 50 in the playoffs, and they’re winning. Just as a competitor, that just makes me want to get that to that and like I need to be there. Yeah and I mean like, I want to be there bad. (ME)

So I think, you know, doing that, I mean, it was just, it was one of those things where the competitor came out in me, No, like I got to be there, I got to do whatever I got to do to be in this position. And, like I said before, seeing these guys do well. I’m happy for these guys.​
You know what I’m saying? but for me personally, my personal goals, where I’m trying to get to in my career, I gotta make it happen. I got to do everything I got to do to make it happen and I think, you know, liking that tweet, that’s where that came from. (ME)
It is what it is, I mean, people are going to take it and run with it, but like I said, it’s my Twitter and I can like and do whatever I want on my account.” (ME)
It's all about ME, ME, ME, and ME!

This guy says he is a competitor but expects everything handed to him. Daddy blesses you with good genes and then coddled you into an oversized baby. You have it so good in Sacramento and you don't have a clue. I hope that you show the fire you claim to have and turn it around for all of our sakes but if you get your way I can't wait to see you roast in a market that actually expects more.
If/when Marvin moves on to another team that market won't expect more from him. They'll know they're buying low on a guy who is often injured and has so far disappointed on the hope that he can still improve significantly. He won't be the guy they drafted #2 ahead of Doncic, Young etc. They won't have the same hangup that we do as Kings fans.

That said, I think Bagley's explanation tells us everything we need to know about his mentality. The guy drafted ahead of him has become the defensive anchor and a key player for a Suns team poised to win their first title. The guy drafted after him had an MVP worthy season and dragged his team to the playoffs despite some roster construction issues. And the guy drafted three spots after him is the best player on a surprising Hawks team.

But instead of watching those guys and being determined to improve his body and game so that he can lead the team he's on to the playoffs, he wants to be traded to a team that's already winning because he's a "competitor".

I'll continue to root for Bagley as long as he's on the team but he doesn't make it easy when he's failed to develop on offense or defense or even stay healthy and then whine about his role or the team not winning.

dude12

Hall of Famer
All the bad things you read and hear about involving the AAU culture of hoops is epitomized by the Bagleys. They just can’t get out of their own way. One GM said it well….Marvin doesn’t seem to appreciate the opportunities he’s been given by the Kings. A lack of accountability on their own part and instead points fingers at everyone else. And yes, this is a Team Bagley issue and not just Marvin’s as his dad continues to eff things up for the kid.

This attitude is just not going to work. I still remember a game his rookie season in Phoenix. The team was playing well and he was playing well. Then I remember one trip down where he was trying to post up and hearing him yell (on the broadcast... I think at Fox) "Give me the F'ing ball". I understand competitive spirit, but it just struck me at the time that he seemed more like he was just dying to show he's a superstar. I know I'm probably reading way more into this one play and form of expression that probably happens all the time on the court. There has just been someone off with his attitude from day one (to me at least).

It's always felt like he believes he is the superstar and other factors are impeding him. I don't think I can remember having quite the rollercoaster of emotions with any player than I have with Marvin. Boogie was frustrating, but it just went between awe of his ability and face palm at something dumb he would do with his attitude. Since drafting Marvin, he's gotten me optimistic, excited, in awe of his athleticism, sympathetic, frustrated, annoyed, angry, ambivalent, pissed.

Marvin was picked before Luka Doncic and Trae Young, the best of their draft class, so he likely feels he has some catching up to do. And to make matters worse, he's had difficulty staying healthy at the start of his career, so he likely feels even greater urgency to illustrate his worth in the time he actually does see the court, rather than simply allowing the game to come to him.

But there remain mitigating factors that are outside of his control. Players of his profile are shrinking in their impact in the modern NBA. He's a PF in a league that doesn't even really have PF's anymore. He's going to have to log a lot of time at center to succeed as a starter in today's league, and it's unclear if he'll ever be able to defend that position effectively.

Ultimately, he hasn't lived up to his draft billing, his athleticism hasn't been enough to carry him as he's transitioned into the NBA, he's struggled mightily on defense, he's been injured, and the fans in Sacramento haven't embraced him because they're too busy mourning the failure of the franchise to pick Luka Doncic. The league is starting to pass Bagley by before his career even gets off the ground.

Right or not, it doesn't surprise me that he's already contemplating a change of scenery. It could be the best outcome for all involved. He's on his second GM and second coach since he was drafted, and they'll have to determine if they think they can win with him.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
All these statements are true until proven otherwise. Only reason he gets any burn is b/c of his salary but so far I dont know if hes better than Metu.
Right now Metu is the better basketball player. Everything is potential with Bagley but after 3 years the question becomes... is he a late bloomer or is this just who he is? I think we should give him what he wants. Trade him to a team with cap space who will let him put up 20 shots a game. He'll get paid for putting up numbers and we can use that additional cap space to re-sign Richaun Holmes instead.

Right now Metu is the better basketball player. Everything is potential with Bagley but after 3 years the question becomes... is he a late bloomer or is this just who he is? I think we should give him what he wants. Trade him to a team with cap space who will let him put up 20 shots a game. He'll get paid for putting up numbers and we can use that additional cap space to re-sign Richaun Holmes instead.
I would be very okay with trading Bagley to OKC for #16 or #18, especially if Ziaire Williams is still on the board. Not sure the Thunder would want to trade for Bagley with only one year left on his deal, but considering how many picks they've accumulated they might go for it.

If/when Marvin moves on to another team that market won't expect more from him. They'll know they're buying low on a guy who is often injured and has so far disappointed on the hope that he can still improve significantly. He won't be the guy they drafted #2 ahead of Doncic, Young etc. They won't have the same hangup that we do as Kings fans.
If he signs a minimum deal with one of the league's other floundering franchises maybe, I still think the big thing here is Sacramento is an easy market and he probably could continue his level of play collecting a paycheck and if his dumb dad STFU and he pretended to like Sacramento he'd probably still get a nice reception from the fans. But if his dad pulls the coach Bagley act elsewhere I think he's going to find himself out of the league at the end of his next contract.

Unfortunately I don't think shipping Bagley for a pick clears up enough space. Since we're over the cap and looking at using exceptions, it might free like an extra half million, one million tops. Maybe I am wrong. I don't really think we should pay Holmes more than the early Bird affords anyways. If someone wants to pay him 16+ we can't and then we'll have huge holes to fill if we moved people thinking it would seal the deal.

Minus cap holds (only the one for the #9 pick really needs to stay in place) the Kings are under the $112 M cap already and dealing Marvin (and his $11 M salary) for a mid first rounder would open up another $8+ M.

I believe under the Early Bird terms the Kings can offer Holmes up to $11 M per year but they could open up additional salary if needed. The question is how much is Holmes really worth?

Minus cap holds (only the one for the #9 pick really needs to stay in place) the Kings are under the $112 M cap already and dealing Marvin (and his $11 M salary) for a mid first rounder would open up another $8+ M.

I believe under the Early Bird terms the Kings can offer Holmes up to $11 M per year but they could open up additional salary if needed. The question is how much is Holmes really worth?
If we have to decline all options, renounce all holds, and move Bagley so that we could say offer 14-16mil per to Holmes, that creates new problems.

I just don't see why we wouldn't look for the next Holmes. Or we let him go and go all in on Bagley this year. Give him the chance to prove he was worth the pick. Then move him or re-sign him or who knows what, ultimately we can probably do more with the money this way.

Holmes situation to me is simple, we offer him the early Bird and cross our fingers.

If we have to decline all options, renounce all holds, and move Bagley so that we could say offer 14-16mil per to Holmes, that creates new problems.

I just don't see why we wouldn't look for the next Holmes. Or we let him go and go all in on Bagley this year. Give him the chance to prove he was worth the pick. Then move him or re-sign him or who knows what, ultimately we can probably do more with the money this way.

Holmes situation to me is simple, we offer him the early Bird and cross our fingers.
I like Holmes a lot but that's pretty much where I'm at too.

We wouldn't have to decline any options and the cap holds are on Holmes, Whiteside, Harkless, Davis, Brewer (?!?!) and the 2-way players Guy and Louis King. Of those guys (besides Holmes) I think only Davis and maybe Harkless have any shot at returning to the main roster.

Both sides have already tipped their hands - Bagley's team said to trade him and McNair tried to do just that. At this point, a breakup is inevitable; the only question is how much can the Kings recoup. Imo, if the Kings can get a late first they should take it and run. Past return for trading disgruntled underperformed high draft pick is not good - Michael Beasley was traded for a 2nd rd pick plus pick swap and I think this is the best the Kings can get.

I don't think the Bagley team cares too much about hiding his displeasure at this point. He knows it's a matter of time before he's out of this God forsaken place that is holding back his enormous talent. He is seeing a future where he puts up 20-10 and gets a max contract. I'm seeing a future where he struggles to hold down a starting job and forever disgruntled at the coaches and fans for over emphasising defense and not appreciative of his offensive prowess. I see Michael Beasley/Jabari Parker and envisioning Bagley filling that role - the offensively gifted journeyman who can score 20, give up 25, and don't care.

Best case scenario - Bagley swallows his pride, comes back, kills it on the court and makes at least one NBA coach falls in love with him. But I think that's too much to hope for.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would be very okay with trading Bagley to OKC for #16 or #18, especially if Ziaire Williams is still on the board. Not sure the Thunder would want to trade for Bagley with only one year left on his deal, but considering how many picks they've accumulated they might go for it.
If you look at their future salary commitments and the players on their roster, all it would take is a belief in Bagley's potential. They wouldn't care about the one year left part because they could make him an RFA, and they can "overpay" to keep him from accepting the QO, if that's what it takes.

Right now, the Thunder are basically Kemba (who is really just the current avatar of their wheel-and-deal), SGA, then a couple of guys who might pan out in Poku and Bazley. The rest of the roster might feature a few useful rotation pieces, and they'll hope to hit the jackpot with #6 this year, but a guy like Bagley would be a great way to gamble away a few of their gazillion picks and actually fits their timeline pretty well as he would allow them to stagger their potential payouts - SGA and Bagley in '22, Bazley in '23, Poku in '24, #6 in '25 - rather than perhaps trying to pay out three first rounders in '25 when SGA/Bazley/Poku could potentially be eating away at the cap space they have in abundance now.

If I'm Presti, and I think Bagley is on the table, I won't just go #16, I'll go #16 + #18 to get that done, and feel like I ripped the Kings off.

If you look at their future salary commitments and the players on their roster, all it would take is a belief in Bagley's potential. They wouldn't care about the one year left part because they could make him an RFA, and they can "overpay" to keep him from accepting the QO, if that's what it takes.

Right now, the Thunder are basically Kemba (who is really just the current avatar of their wheel-and-deal), SGA, then a couple of guys who might pan out in Poku and Bazley. The rest of the roster might feature a few useful rotation pieces, and they'll hope to hit the jackpot with #6 this year, but a guy like Bagley would be a great way to gamble away a few of their gazillion picks and actually fits their timeline pretty well as he would allow them to stagger their potential payouts - SGA and Bagley in '22, Bazley in '23, Poku in '24, #6 in '25 - rather than perhaps trying to pay out three first rounders in '25 when SGA/Bazley/Poku could potentially be eating away at the cap space they have in abundance now.

If I'm Presti, and I think Bagley is on the table, I won't just go #16, I'll go #16 + #18 to get that done, and feel like I ripped the Kings off.
no way at all. I don’t see Bagley returning more than a single 2nd.