Malone fired

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Success in the playoffs is a title. What else is the goal?
So it's lure Phil Jackson out of retirement or bust? Karl has made the playoffs 22 out of 25 years he has coached, including the last ten consecutive. Barring Phil Jackson and Rick Adelman, neither of whom is likely to come out of retirement, I can't think of a single available name out there that even sniffs Karl's established record. Karl wants back in for a 3-5 year stint, and he's the best known commodity available. I have a very hard time seeing a sub-.500 playoff record as a downside - at least he gets his teams into the playoffs.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
So it's lure Phil Jackson out of retirement or bust? Karl has made the playoffs 22 out of 25 years he has coached, including the last ten consecutive. Barring Phil Jackson and Rick Adelman, neither of whom is likely to come out of retirement, I can't think of a single available name out there that even sniffs Karl's established record. Karl wants back in for a 3-5 year stint, and he's the best known commodity available. I have a very hard time seeing a sub-.500 playoff record as a downside - at least he gets his teams into the playoffs.
Gee. The FO wouldn't like you because you value w/l records. ;)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't pay much attention to any team but the Kings so I have to ask why this isn't happening?
If they didn't get along with Michael Malone, Jeff Van Gundy isn't even going to get his foot in the door. Try and tell him you want to play a "running style of offense" and wait to see how he reacts. :)

Ditto for Nate McMillan. Those of us who celebrated the hiring of Coach Malone are going to have to accept that the dream of a defense-first coach in Sacramento is now well and truly dead. At least until the next round of data comes out and says otherwise.

Depends on what team you are. OK, so forget Karl. Who else is there beside Corbin and Mullin?

Edit: He has not had a record where his team won less than 1/2 of the games in 21 years. How is that factored onto the negatives?

The last time our franchise was a success, going by these standards, was in 1951. I think there were only 8 teams to battle with. That makes it easier to be a success. I might be wrong about the number of teams in the league.

Vinny and Mark Jackson. Not good

Like I said earlier, Malone being fired was more due to the fact that he stood his ground, said no, and coached the team the exact opposite way that the owner wanted. Vivek doesn't like people saying no, so out he went. Style? Nice way of saying he didn't do what we wanted him to do. I wonder how PDA sleeps at night.

Watch that video of him during the press conference when he was asked if Vivek fired Malone. The way he responded was with an angry attitude, saying "I am the general manager." Why get angry if you are the GM? It is completely obvious that only 1 person, possibly 2, are calling the shots, and PDA is not one of them. It's Vivek, with Mullin's input. That's it. Period.
Was about to post the same thing. PDA is taking the bullets because he has no spine. If he's not careful, Mullin will be coach AND GM.

Last edited:
They might very well end up replacing Micheal Malone with Vinny Del Negro under the logic that will lead to increased ticket sales.

The process is even more tragicthat:

1. We should fire our good coach. We don't like him and his team are soooooo, not exciting. He never listens to our cool ideas. What a jerk.
2. Fans will buy more tickets at the new super high prices if we play exciting.
3. So, who is better than Malone, can win games, and also coach an exciting team? All three of those. Is that guy available right now????????? Does that coach want to work with us?
4. Well, I don't know about criteria 1 and 2, but Mullin might be exiting ... maybe? Does he want to coach right now? Oh, we didn't lock that down? Can we ask him again??? Well if not right now, is he even sure about next year???
5. Ok, we will wait until the summer to get a coach. Man, people are pissed. What do we do if the team goes all Kenny Natt on Corbin? If that goes down, who can we get fast? Does the fact that we just looked like idiots and screwed over a coach doing a good job impact the folks that will consider us? Oh, really?
6. So who is even available now? And they are better than Malone, can win games, and also coach an exciting team? And why are they available again?

My 2-Cents:

The vision for Vivek and Co. is to build the next-generation, internationally-branded 'NBA-3.0' team.
Sacramento, is the capital of CA and the "Center of West-Coast Style", and the idea is to create a brand of
run-and-gun that 1B+ Indians and other developing nations will find an identity with as the
'American Way'. This will consist of alleyoops, treys, dunks, fast-breaks, Bollywood, and Shanghai/Beijing.
With this 'style', the goal is to achieve of a valuation of the Sacramento-Kings on a global-scale,
similar to internationally-recognized soccer teams (Real-Madrid and Barcelone worth > $3.2B-USD).

Coach Malone, molded out of grit, toughness, and grind-it-out style, would never fit this next-level
business valuation -- regardless of wins/losses, or playoff success. Even if Coach Malone were to
achieve success, his team's focus on defense (not offense) prevents viral uptake by the global population
who are eager to absorb anything vintage 'American'.

This fundamental difference in style (grind-out vs. run-and-gun) -- and its affect on global marketability --
is the key tipping point, and is their rationale for firing Coach Malone now. How it will shake out is anyone's
guess, including the FO. There's a lot of money being wagered on these bets (Kings purchase price, new Arena,
no revenue sharing), so their belief is the timing is critical and perhaps cannot wait till the end-of-season.
He is the thing that seems to be missing. If you win and win plenty, you become a marketable world brand. There was no bigger basketball brand than the 90s Bulls and they most certainly did not run and gun. They were a brand because they won and they won a lot. It helped that they had MJ on the team but it was about them winning as a team playing the style of basketball that won championships.

There is a saying "build it and they will come" and it applies here in a context of "win big and they will come"! Run and gun has NEVER won big in the NBA and it never will.

If this is about bumping up the valuation of the franchise and not about winning big, then we are getting Maloofed all over again. What should matter is winning championships and everything else is secondary in comparison.

No, and I agree with your sentiment about who is available. I'd be more than happy with the Kings making the playoffs, but a sub .500 post season record is a drawback no matter the state of your eyesight.

1. There is 54 pages in this thread. I have not read 1 posts that said people have voiced their opinion Vivek's tweeter account. If you have a tweeter account, please do so. Someone says he does read them.

You know, we seriously haven't got a goddamn clue what we're doing. This is a prime example of winging it, making it up as you go.

Not only is Vinny D not all that good of a coach but he doesn't even fill the need of having an up tempo system that Vivek/PDA so sorely want. He's a grind it out, iso heavy, half court offense guy. His system can come across as ugly to a number of fans.

There obviously wasn't a plan after firing Malone, which is utterly ridiculous given this apparently has been in the works for months, but PDA/Vivek don't appear to have the ability to even identify the coaches who do fit their wet dream style.

Just about everything is pointing to our FO, PDA and Vivek really not having a clue what they're doing. I'm not a fan on an up-tempo style and what they want, especially with our roster but I could draft a far better list of candidates who do fill their criteria, apparently much better than they are. Of course, maybe they have contacted coaches and they have no interest in coming and working for the biggest current embarrassment of a FO/ownership tandem in the league.

And please, someone tell me how Vivek didn't know before firing Malone whether or not his BFF in Mullin actually wanted to coach.

You know, we seriously haven't got a goddamn clue what we're doing. This is a prime example of winging it, making it up as you go.

Not only is Vinny D not all that good of a coach but he doesn't even fill the need of having an up tempo system that Vivek/PDA so sorely want. He's a grind it out, iso heavy, half court offense guy. His system can come across as ugly to a number of fans.

There obviously wasn't a plan after firing Malone, which is utterly ridiculous given this apparently has been in the works for months, but PDA/Vivek don't appear to have the ability to even identify the coaches who do fit their wet dream style.
Do you think the firing was a reaction instead of proaction? When Karl's name surfaced, it appeared that this was a move done in accordance with the opportunity to hire Karl... now it appears that the front office has no idea what step is next. Even the statement about letting Corbin have a chance to succeed is vague.... succeed at what exactly? His reaction to the last question in his interview seems to support that he won't be around long. There is no way he stays as coach until the end of the year, right? .... right? :confused:

1. There is 54 pages in this thread. I have not read 1 posts that said people have voiced their opinion Vivek's tweeter account. If you have a tweeter account, please do so. Someone says he does read them.
I have, and Sacramento Kings twitter follows me (not that they make decisions!) we just have to hope the FO care about the fans enough to listen

There is nothing in reality to suggest that Vivek gives a hoot about the fans' opinions. Crowdsourcing and all that is just window dressing. He even tells PDA what to think - we saw it in the draft day video. And anyone around him who purports to be an "adviser" - you'd better believe these are just people who have managed to divine what lil V wants to hear.

If he DID care about fan opinion, he would not have fired Malone without a backup plan, and he would not be courting Mully (given the overwhelming negative feedback from fans on twitter about that idea). He sure the heck would not be sending the message that it is a lame duck season by leaving it in the hands of an assistant he didn't want on board in the first place.

He obviously comes from the school that "the customer needs to be told what he wants - if we just gave the customer what he wanted we'd have made a faster horse instead of an automobile". So he is going to shove 3.0 down your throats (and charge you a very pretty penny to LIKE it too - you can bet on that).

No chance he is moved by fan opinion - the sociopaths who make it to the top like he has don't do it by being sensitive to the desires of anyone else, including the customer.

And all that said - these guys make it to the top for a reason. He's obviously smart and driven - maybe he's right. But that doesn't mean he is going to read his twitter - he has "people to do that".