Malone fired

So it's lure Phil Jackson out of retirement or bust? Karl has made the playoffs 22 out of 25 years he has coached, including the last ten consecutive. Barring Phil Jackson and Rick Adelman, neither of whom is likely to come out of retirement, I can't think of a single available name out there that even sniffs Karl's established record. Karl wants back in for a 3-5 year stint, and he's the best known commodity available. I have a very hard time seeing a sub-.500 playoff record as a downside - at least he gets his teams into the playoffs.
Actually you are right about Karl. I'd consider Sloan a great coach, and he has a .48 winning percentage in the playoffs. I was wrong about that for sure.

1. There is 54 pages in this thread. I have not read 1 posts that said people have voiced their opinion Vivek's tweeter account. If you have a tweeter account, please do so. Someone says he does read them.
I hope he watches the news too, they just interviews a few fans and every single one of them did not like the firing and shared the same sentiments that this board does.

We are going to find out Malone drunkenly called up Vivek Sunday night and said something nasty about Anjali, aren't we?

How else could there be no plan unless it was unplanned and impulsive? How could they not know if Mullin wants the job?

That's just astounding.
Speaking of Vivek's daughter, what are they odds he has her singing the national anthem tonight again since the game is on ESPN?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Scary, huh?

I have posted it elsewhere but there was a possibility of a flustercluck going into a season with a rookie owner, rookie GM, and rookie coach. The coach may have had the clearest concept of what his job was. I feel fairly confident that the person with the least knowledge of his role is the owner. It seems to me he doesn't have a clear relationship with his GM. Then, what about the red haired guy. What's his job?

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
When I thought they HAD a new coach all lined up I was mad.

To find out there is no plan in place? I'm furious and depressed.
We are stumbling out of the gate and at one point it looked like we were coming out gracefully. Whatta mess. This is not good leadership. Whose job was it to have another coach lined up? Or did anyone even think to have another coach lined up?

It's time to fix the organization and to stop patting one's self on the back. There's a basketball team to be run.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Mullins would be nuts to take the job midseason. I'm sure he would consider it if he had a full offseason and felt he had the right roster.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So it's lure Phil Jackson out of retirement or bust? Karl has made the playoffs 22 out of 25 years he has coached, including the last ten consecutive. Barring Phil Jackson and Rick Adelman, neither of whom is likely to come out of retirement, I can't think of a single available name out there that even sniffs Karl's established record. Karl wants back in for a 3-5 year stint, and he's the best known commodity available. I have a very hard time seeing a sub-.500 playoff record as a downside - at least he gets his teams into the playoffs.
Phil Jackson isn't retired. He's currently serving as President of the New York Knicks.

We are stumbling out of the gate and at one point it looked like we were coming out gracefully. Whatta mess. This is not good leadership. Whose job was it to have another coach lined up? Or did anyone even think to have another coach lined up?
That's interesting, as given Vivek ignored conventional wisdom by hiring Malone before hiring a GM, could say Vivek. But given PDA didn't have a chance to hire his guy and that he's currently the acting GM, could be him as well.

It's one or the other, or both.

Apparently and inexplicably, neither do at this point while the guy they work with who they want as coach, Mullin, they didn't even bother getting an answer from on whether he'd want to coach or not before firing Malone.

I don't think I've ever seen incompetence in an NBA franchise like this. The Maloofs completely screwed up when they went broke, but with money they did a good job building our golden era team. They let Petrie spend and got out of his way. Hired Rick and stuck with him for 8 years. Vivek has the money. What's the excuse for completely winging it and not having a plan?

He wears thin on the players after 3 or 4 years, sometimes will bash players in the media. Hasn't had success in the playoffs
Not accurate. He took the Sonics deep in the playoffs a few times. They took Phoenix and I believe Utah to game 7 in the Western conference finals....and they won the West finals another year. They were a Western conference power house, nearly every year he coached there. Even the year they got upset by Denver, they had the best record in the NBA.

He currently ranks as having the 6th best coaching record in NBA history.

I think the Kings front office saw the small window open for George Karl's last run as a coach...and they made the change to open talks with him. (Very possibly already happened) It's all lined up and Karl has said he's itching to get back in the gym and wants the job in Sacramento. Not speculation, he said he's very interested.

Why not wait till later? end of the season maybe? Cause you could very well miss on getting him. Someone else gets him first. Right now by all indications, we're first in line to get one of the all time experienced and successful coaches. Realistically, it's the next best thing to having Adelman back. Karl is the most experienced and successful coach available and he wants the job. Sounds really good to me

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't think I've ever seen incompetence in an NBA franchise like this. The Maloofs completely screwed up when they went broke, but with money they did a good job building our golden era team. They let Petrie spend and got out of his way. Hired Rick and stuck with him for 8 years. Vivek has the money. What's the excuse for completely winging it and not having a plan?
It's a real slap in the face, well deserved, when the present regime shows that the Maloofs when they had money didn't seem to find themselves stumbling about not knowing what to do.

I mean in running the team.

That's interesting, as given Vivek ignored conventional wisdom by hiring Malone before hiring a GM, could say Vivek. But given PDA didn't have a chance to hire his guy and that he's currently the acting GM, could be him as well.

It's one or the other, or both.

Apparently and inexplicably, neither do at this point while the guy they work with who they want as coach, Mullin, they didn't even bother getting an answer from on whether he'd want to coach or not before firing Malone.

he hires people smarter than him ;)

I'm pretty sure Vivek has calculated every step of this process. That includes all the rowdy uproar, upset fans, and national criticism. Ultimately, he sees the light at the end of the tunnel and believes his vision and results will speak for itself. Therefore, he has no need to address or respond to anyone. He'll just ride the storm until things play out. In the meantime, PDA will take on the brunt of the flak. Also, there is no such thing as bad publicity--publicity is a win-win. Look at all the celebrity scandals--doesn't matter how stupid it is, it gets attention and eventually leads to more profits (e.g. Britney Spears, Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus...). Look what is the #1 NBA story right now: Kings fire Malone. Yeah, EVERYONE has an opinion--all the social media and news outlets explode. Win for Vivek. Now everyone is going to tune in to see how it all unfolds: will we suck poopoo or will we actually make the next turn and become contenders? Vivek's a genius.