Luka Doncic - performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This is probably his first game of the season where his performance didn't taper off after a hot start.

Also the first game where he, Barnes, and DSJ all looked good at the same time.

Didn't watch the game but Luka keeps putting up very impressive numbers....it's gonna boil down to Ayton vs Doncic for ROY
The Suns are laughably not using Ayton enough. In 6 games, he's averaged 17.5pts 10.3rebs 3.8asts..............yet he only has 12.2 FGA on 64.4% FG!

They are 1-6. There is no reason why you're not giving Ayton more shots when he's putting up that many points on amazing efficiency. Literally...what does Phoenix have to lose giving Ayton more shots? nothing!

Lukas pre draft weakness included whether he could get to the rim or get to the line to average 20ppg in his prime.

It early but he’s already averaging 20ppg as a rookie and getting to the line extremely well 4.5 free throws a game. He’s only shooting 35% from 3 and 70% from FT line both should go up which should increase his PPG. His rebounding and passing have translated 6rpg and 4apg he’s gonna be unreal in 2-3 years

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The Suns are laughably not using Ayton enough. In 6 games, he's averaged 17.5pts 10.3rebs 3.8asts..............yet he only has 12.2 FGA on 64.4% FG!

They are 1-6. There is no reason why you're not giving Ayton more shots when he's putting up that many points on amazing efficiency. Literally...what does Phoenix have to lose giving Ayton more shots? nothing!
Do you remember those seasons where the Kings struggled to even properly pass the ball to Cousins in the post? Knowing that he can feast on his opponent all game long. This is what seems to be happening in Phoenix right about now, it also doesn't help them that they have no legitimate NBA PG or backup PG to speak of

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What would you consider saying “they still lost” comment to a poster saying Smith/Doncic looked good together
You're not gonna like my answer but since you asked...

Smith/Doncic looking good is irrelevant unless they can find a way to win. I do not see any problem with the "they still lost" comment.

Which is better? Looking good and losing or looking a little less polished and finding a way to win? I suspect most fans would vastly prefer the latter.

You're not gonna like my answer but since you asked...

Smith/Doncic looking good is irrelevant unless they can find a way to win. I do not see any problem with the "they still lost" comment.

Which is better? Looking good and losing or looking a little less polished and finding a way to win? I suspect most fans would vastly prefer the latter.
The spurs are good and Wes Matthews is out there looking worse than ZBo last year while jacking up shots. Saying they still lost like that should deminish his performance is pure hate

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The spurs are good and Wes Matthews is out there looking worse than ZBo last year while jacking up shots. Saying they still lost like that should deminish his performance is pure hate
Whatever. You asked for my opinion and I gave it. Sorry if it doesn't meet your needs. I call them like I see them.

"pure hate"? Nope. Not even close.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It looks like you're expecting nothing but sheer love for Luka and whatever criticism that comes his way no matter how invalid or valid is "hate" in your book.

No one is questioning that Luka has looked amazing at times this season but there are still legitimate issues that he's going to have to work on as his NBA career progresses. Blatantly ignore those or refusing to see them is doing absolutely no one, Luka included, any favors.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It looks like you're expecting nothing but sheer love for Luka and whatever criticism that comes his way no matter how invalid or valid is "hate" in your book.

No one is questioning that Luka has looked amazing at times this season but there are still legitimate issues that he's going to have to work on as his NBA career progresses. Blatantly ignore those or refusing to see them is doing absolutely no one, Luka included, any favors.
So when we lose a game in OT at San Antonio after Bagley takes over and drops 31 "they still lost" will qualify to you as reasoned analysis? Come on, man. That's not criticism its trolling. Doncic is running away with the Rookie of the Year award at this point and its not close. Sure he could be better but so could Ben Simmons if he had a jumpshot. Let's keep this in perspective. If he were doing this in a Kings jersey right now we'd be talking about multiple championships already because that's what we do. You know it's true! :)

So when we lose a game in OT at San Antonio after Bagley takes over and drops 31 "they still lost" will qualify to you as reasoned analysis? Come on, man. That's not criticism its trolling. Doncic is running away with the Rookie of the Year award at this point and its not close. Sure he could be better but so could Ben Simmons if he had a jumpshot. Let's keep this in perspective. If he were doing this in a Kings jersey right now we'd be talking about multiple championships already because that's what we do. You know it's true! :)
Exactly!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The sensitivity of some Doncic fans is unreal. I'd strongly advise pacing yourselves or you're going to be a gelatinous pile of goo before December.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
If someone wants to mouth off, have the facts to back it up is all I ask. Or else expect people to call you on it. I'm not offended by it, this is business as usual really. And I've already moved on from the idea of Doncic on the Kings believe it or not. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate excellence when I see it. I'm a fan of anyone who transforms this beautiful game into the art form I know it to be.

If we're going to be the last fanbase to admit that Luka is really freaking good out of deference to Vlade I think that's pretty sad. People outside of Sacramento are taking notice of this young Kings team. Our record so far is going to generate some buzz for Vlade as Executive of the Year and you know what? Its entirety justified! How's that for a turnaround? There is a scenario here where he totally botched this draft and still deserves Executive of the Year. These are not mutually exclusive. And perhaps the play of Bjelica so far has opened the eyes of some of the people here who argued (loudly) that winning a Euroleague MVP award means nothing in the context of the NBA. But there's a different thread for that discussion isn't there?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If someone wants to mouth off, have the facts to back it up is all I ask. Or else expect people to call you on it. I'm not offended by it, this is business as usual really. And I've already moved on from the idea of Doncic on the Kings believe it or not. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate excellence when I see it. I'm a fan of anyone who transforms this beautiful game into the art form I know it to be.

If we're going to be the last fanbase to admit that Luka is really freaking good out of deference to Vlade I think that's pretty sad. People outside of Sacramento are taking notice of this young Kings team. Our record so far is going to generate some buzz for Vlade as Executive of the Year and you know what? Its entirety justified! How's that for a turnaround? There is a scenario here where he totally botched this draft and still deserves Executive of the Year. These are not mutually exclusive. And perhaps the play of Bjelica so far has opened the eyes of some of the people here who argued (loudly) that winning a Euroleague MVP award means nothing in the context of the NBA. But there's a different thread for that discussion isn't there?
Oh please.

We aren't denying that Luka is/will be really freaking good. Speaking only for myself here, and remember I was hoping we would draft Doncic, I don't see it as limited to an either Bagley OR Doncic situation but apparently there are some who do. Vlade botched the draft because he didn't pick Doncic? There's no way that can be assessed at this point in time.

I split this thread off in an attempt to have a thread where Doncic's performance could be viewed objectively but that's obviously not going to happen. It's always going to end up for some to be about Bagley v. Doncic no matter what. I think that's unfair to Luka and to Marvin but it is what it is.

You guys continue on and just try and remain civil.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Oh please.

We aren't denying that Luka is/will be really freaking good. Speaking only for myself here, and remember I was hoping we would draft Doncic, I don't see it as limited to an either Bagley OR Doncic situation but apparently there are some who do. Vlade botched the draft because he didn't pick Doncic? There's no way that can be assessed at this point in time.
I didn't say it could be, just that it is a possibility. That's what I meant when I used the phrase "a scenario". That's my fault for not being more precise with my wording. My point was exactly what you're saying ... that Doncic's performance should be viewed objectively, not in the context of what happened in the draft. If the Kings are playing winning basketball, who cares how they got there? I don't anyway. My attitude at this point is just to look forward at how we get better from here.

What's not easily forgotten is how many feathers got ruffled by the completely unwarranted claims that Luka is a poor athlete and can't match the speed of the NBA game. Context is everything. Fact is, that was always nonsense and if a few of our international friends want to puff up their chests a bit now and say "I told you so" I think that's more than fair. If people want to lob grenades they should probably expect a few to come flying back their way. That part of the discussion has nothing to do with Bagley or the Kings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I didn't say it could be, just that it is a possibility. And my point was exactly that... that Doncic's performance should be viewed objectively, not in the context of what happened in the draft. If the Kings are playing winning basketball, who cares how they got there? I don't anyway. My attitude at this point is just to look forward at how we get better from here.

What's not easily forgotten is how many feathers got ruffled by the completely unwarranted claims that Luka is a poor athlete and can't match the speed of the NBA game. Context is everything. Fact is, that was always nonsense and if a few of our international friends want to puff up their chests a bit now and say "I told you so" I think that's more than fair. If people want to lob grenades they should probably expect a few to come flying back their way. That part of the discussion has nothing to do with Bagley or the Kings.

Let's not pretend that Luka is, errr, the fittest or most graceful athlete out there. He's thus far matched the speed of the game but he's had a bit of a pattern of starting out a game looking like the second coming and then getting tired and not looking as awesome later on (his 31 pt outing being of course a notable exception).

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm wondering why anyone took my "And they still lost." comment as a negative. I wanted to draft him. I'm not upset that we didn't though. I don't watch college ball so I didn't know much about any of the prospects. I hope that, in the long run, Bagley turns out to be the best player for the Kings.

I just meant that despite Doncic's strong performance the Mavs still aren't winning games they should win. That's not a bash on Doncic, but on the Mavs. Lighten up, people.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Let's not pretend that Luka is, errr, the fittest or most graceful athlete out there. He's thus far matched the speed of the game but he's had a bit of a pattern of starting out a game looking like the second coming and then getting tired and not looking as awesome later on (his 31 pt outing being of course a notable exception).
Right but if an out of shape Luka Doncic is already producing like the best teenager to hit the NBA since Lebron... how much better is he going to be once he does get in shape? He looks like a kid who eats cheeseburgers and plays video games all day because that's exactly what he is! By his own admission. But I'll be damned if he's not also a basketball savant. Somebody on RealGM posted a stat which has him at #2 in the NBA so far on miles covered per game. That means he's running the floor more than Fox is so far this season. Which just goes to show that appearances can be decieving.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why anyone took my "And they still lost." comment as a negative. I wanted to draft him. I'm not upset that we didn't though. I don't watch college ball so I didn't know much about any of the prospects. I hope that, in the long run, Bagley turns out to be the best player for the Kings.

I just meant that despite Doncic's strong performance the Mavs still aren't winning games they should win. That's not a bash on Doncic, but on the Mavs. Lighten up, people.
The comment seemed like a dig, like so what he did good but they lost, it’s all cool

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The comment seemed like a dig, like so what he did good but they lost, it’s all cool
Even if it was, so what? It's like when Boogie was here. He had the talent but it wasn't enough, on its own, to carry a team or work with what we had in place. Might be the same there - I don't know. I'm not comparing Doncic and Boogie for attitude or anything, just stating that talent alone isn't enough. The pieces have to "fit".

Our pieces seem to be fitting well enough at the start of the season to give us some hope this season. At this point, the Mavs might be looking at a 25 win season max. Or, they mesh better and end up with a good year. Who knows? That's the fun of it, you can never really tell what will happen until the games are played.

I like Luka, and wish him well. Maybe he will end up here eventually. You never know! But I really don't get the hand-wringing, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. Players don't always perform the same on different teams and every team needs different things. Let's appreciate what we have without sniping at each other about something we don't. It isn't helpful or productive. And it really is pointless!

Status
Not open for further replies.