[Game] Kings @ Mavericks, 10/31/21 12:30pm Pacific, 3:30pm Eastern

KingsFan.com Excitement-o-meter (How excited are you about this team?)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Early start time tomorrow and I'm already a couple glasses of wine in so let's get cracking!

The Kings come into Dallas with a 3-2 record and as winners of two road games in a row. The Mavs also sit at 3-2 with both losses to teams over .500 and all three wins over teams that could be considered "less than good."

In other words, this is the benchmark game! If the Kings win this, they're good! If they lose, they officially suck! No pressure!

Awards Time
Tony Delk Memorial Award - Herb Jones. We talked about it before the game and it happened! Herb Jones had a career high!

Cory Joseph Award- Maurice Harkless. I guess he wasn't terrible per se but 24 minutes and not points and barely any other counting stats is a total CoJo move.

Luke Walton Vacuum Cleaner - Terence Davis. 'Nuff said.

WTF Moment of the Game - Luke burns his challenge on an obvious call mid-way through the third quarter, burns himself when there are two bad calls he could have overturned late in the 4th quarter.

+++Game 6+++
Kings @ Mavericks
@American Airlines Center

It's our first early matinee game of the season! Both teams come into this game with equal records but extremely different narratives. We all know the Kings' current ho-hum attempt to finally get to the postseason but the Dallas Mavericks are in the rare position of being over .500 early in the season and being in complete disarray.

Jason Kidd, in addition to being a trash human being, may be the worst coach in a league full of bad coaches. Be it absolutely bonkers rotations that make no sense whatsoever, an offensive system that emphasizes post-ups and mid-range contested jumpers, or a strange desire to play one of the best on-ball creators in the league off-ball, the Hall of Famer's Dallas tenure has already been a lively one and he hasn't even driven a guy into a mental breakdown yet!

The Mavs do, of course, still have Luka, who is still damn good at basketball even if he's still rounding into basketball shape (seriously, how do you get out of shape in the month and a half between the end of the Olympics and the start of training camp?). They did however waste their last year of having cap space for the foreseeable future on re-signing Tim Hardaway Jr. and bring in Reggie Bullock and Sterling Brown on free agent deals, leaving them with pretty much the exact same roster as last season only with a guy who thinks spilling a drink on the court to slow down the game is a viable strategy as their head coach.

The Kings matched up with the Mavericks pretty well last season and Porzingis is injured (when is he not?) and might miss the game, which would honestly probably help their chances, seeing as Kidd has pretty much been using him in a manner diametrically opposed to winning basketball in the 21st century all year. If Luke doesn't get caught up in a questionable coaching choices cold war with Jason Kidd, the Kings stand a good chance at winning this game.

Matchups
Richaun Holmes vs. Dwight Powell
- Advantage: Holmes
Harrison Barnes vs. Kristaps Porzingis - Advantage: Barnes
Maurice Harkless vs. Dorian Finney-Smith - Advantage: DFS
Tyrese Haliburton vs. Tim Hardaway Jr. - Advantage: Tyrese if THJ isn't insanely hot.
De'Aaron Fox vs. Luka Doncic - Advantage: Luka

Final Predictions
The Mavs are a big team and play big as well, with not much in terms of quickness. With Kidd's determination to use that size in the most old-fashioned way possible, there should be quite a few points scored in the paint tonight. At the same time, it is hard to picture the Mavs big guys staying in front of the Kings' guards once they get downhill. If the Kings can not let Luka drop 50 on them, I think they should win this game. I'm probably just drunk though.
Kings 115, Mavs 108

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
"very" is default because I am loyal to a fault. I am going to take kiddo to the nearby school open house so I'll miss the finish.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I have like … zero worries about the Mavs. We beat good Luka with a good coach multiple times last season. Now they have Fat Luka and Jason Kidd.

…. so that said, the Mavs are probably winning by 30 tomorrow.

As for the poll? Only somewhat. Until proven wrong, I won’t get too high. I’ll ride those lows the second they come though! It’s all I know at this point.

Last edited:
Kings have been a terrible matchup for Dallas even under the best circumstances for the Mavs. Didn’t they have a 10 of 12 (something like that)stretch last season with the only losses coming to the Kings?

I like the Kings chances.

As for the poll. Kings need to get about 4 games over .500 for me to get excited. I’ve been burned too many times

"The Mavs played four afternoon tipoffs last season, including two in the playoffs against the LA Clippers. In those games, Luka Doncic averaged 34.3 points, 12.0 assists, 10.5 rebounds, and 1.0 steal on 48.0 percent shooting the field."

"The 22-year-old has a bit of extra energy for these contests because they are in primetime in Europe. All of Doncic’s Slovenia and Spanish fans are tuning in to see him, and he does not want to disappoint."

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/m...medium=referral&utm_campaign=google-newsstand

Go Kings!

origkds

What- Me Worry?
"The Mavs played four afternoon tipoffs last season, including two in the playoffs against the LA Clippers. In those games, Luka Doncic averaged 34.3 points, 12.0 assists, 10.5 rebounds, and 1.0 steal on 48.0 percent shooting the field."

"The 22-year-old has a bit of extra energy for these contests because they are in primetime in Europe. All of Doncic’s Slovenia and Spanish fans are tuning in to see him, and he does not want to disappoint."

https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/m...medium=referral&utm_campaign=google-newsstand

Go Kings!
Interesting, this never would have crossed my mind but, I'm sure it has validity. Thank you for the insight.

Obviously I want a win but expecting a loss even though we matchup well with them. Prolly gonna see HB and Off-Night guard Luka and we’ll see how it goes. If we win this team has finally turned a corner a tiny bit

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Man, Jason Kidd was one of my favorite players, ever; man could dominate a game, without scoring a point. His understanding of the game of basketball is off the charts... I want to see him succeed as a head coach, but he's sooo bad at it!

We pretty much already do except Vivek doesn’t have a long history of covering sexual misconduct within his organization
Vivek and Cuban aren’t in the same class. The innovation and risking taking with the Mavs is next level compared to the Kings.

As for the allegations, I have no desires getting into that. Good luck baiting someone else to engage.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hiring a head coach every decade or so is certainly better than the revolving door strategy of the Kings.
Hiring a terrible head coach in a universally reviled decision isn’t taking risks though. It’s just bad decision making.
And trading everything for porzingis and then dumping Barnes for nothing because you‘re afraid of paying the luxury tax is pretty Kangzy

Hiring a terrible head coach in a universally reviled decision isn’t taking risks though. It’s just bad decision making.
And trading everything for porzingis and then dumping Barnes for nothing because you‘re afraid of paying the luxury tax is pretty Kangzy
His history of risking taking also brought them Nowitzki, Carlisle for a decade, a championship, and Luka.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And I’d still rather have Vivek.
Pretty much basketball-wise the only difference between Vivek and Cuban over the last couple of years is that Haralabos convinced Cuban to take Luka while Vivek sorta stayed out of Vlade’s way long enough for him to not take him.

Pretty much basketball-wise the only difference between Vivek and Cuban over the last couple of years is that Haralabos convinced Cuban to take Luka while Vivek sorta stayed out of Vlade’s way long enough for him to not take him.
I mean, outcomes matter, do they not? Kings had the number two pick and grabbed Bagley. Dallas traded a firs5 to get Luka. That’s not luck.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
His history of risking taking also brought them Nowitzki, Carlisle for a decade, a championship, and Luka.
Nowitzki was drafted while the Perots owned the team, Carlisle is currently 1-8 with the Pacers, and they still don’t have any draft capital to use to build around Luka because they dumbly traded the farm for European Greg Oden.

Who they then let walk only to see blossom into MVP on the Suns, who they initially traded for him from.
They certainly let him walk too early. But that’s what smart risk taking is. Win some, lose some. As long as your wins outpace your losses, your good.

Nowitzki was drafted while the Perots owned the team, Carlisle is currently 1-8 with the Pacers, and they still don’t have any draft capital to use to build around Luka.
What Carlisle has done since is immaterial. He won a championship with the Mavs n Cuban. Does that not matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.