Luka Doncic - performance discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point, the other Doncic thread has become unwieldy and overrun with sub-topics. So, in the interest of serving those who just want to discuss his progression with the Mavs as an NBA player, I've started this second thread. Any further discussion of public opinion on who drafted him when, etc. will be moved over to the other thread and this one will serve as the spot for more specific current performance discussion.

From Sept. 29:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24839977/luka-doncic-impresses-mavericks-preseason-debut

From Oct. 8:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/10/0...ops-76ers-115-112-in-preseason-game-in-china/

I still like him and wish him well. When the Kings play the Mavericks on Dec 16, I suspect there will be a HUGE number of Doncic fans who are torn between rooting for the Kings and rooting for Doncic. Until then, here's the Mavs schedule:

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/dal/dallas-mavericks

It looks like we'll be able to catch a glimpse of him with a couple of games on TNT, ESPN and NBA-TV.

I like Luka. I wish him a lot of success. He intrigues me because I think he runs the risk of becoming another Ricky Rubio, a player who cannot possibly live up to all the hype. I wonder what Voisin would say about him? ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...deb9ce-ce4e-11e8-ad0a-0e01efba3cc1_story.html

...DALLAS — Luka Doncic is getting help from a variety of angles as the teenager makes the transition from European basketball to the NBA with the Dallas Mavericks.

The Slovenian rookie has mom to keep things settled at home, 40-year-old fellow Euro transplant Dirk Nowitzki to teach what it takes to become an NBA MVP and young point guard Dennis Smith Jr. to share the burden of expectations for lifting a fading franchise.

Add it all up and there’s still plenty of work the 19-year-old faces on his own as a potential international star in an increasingly global league.

“He’s one of the most high-profile guys to come through Europe,” said Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson, in a better position than most to know. “There’s a real buzz, which means absolutely nothing when he gets to the NBA because he starts from scratch.”...
Nice take by Donnie N, son of legendary Don Nelson.

I expect him to have a very good season. Someone who many thought could be the number one pick got passed on by the Suns, the Kings, and the Hawks. He may have rock star games against those three teams

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
At this point, the other Doncic thread has become unwieldy and overrun with sub-topics. So, in the interest of serving those who just want to discuss his progression with the Mavs as an NBA player, I've started this second thread. Any further discussion of public opinion on who drafted him when, etc. will be moved over to the other thread and this one will serve as the spot for more specific current performance discussion.
Other thread has been accordingly re-named.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I expect him to have a very good season. Someone who many thought could be the number one pick got passed on by the Suns, the Kings, and the Hawks. He may have rock star games against those three teams
I think he could wind up having a 14 pt, 6 rb, 5 ast type of season depending on whether or not the Mavs decide to start him with Barnes or have him come off the bench behind Dirk. I don't think there's ever been any doubt that Luka would be able to produce this season, rather the larger issue has been whether or not Luka has enough of a ceiling above him to continue to maintain the gulf in his production versus that of his fellow draftees as their careers go on. Like, I can see the obvious areas where Bagley or Jackson or Knox can improve and provide more impact as their careers go on but I can't see as much for Luka, who while not a "maxed-out" sorta guy, has the skills and BBIQ stuff down but has questionable physical attributes at best that can get in the way of his next stage of development.

I think he could wind up having a 14 pt, 6 rb, 5 ast type of season depending on whether or not the Mavs decide to start him with Barnes or have him come off the bench behind Dirk. I don't think there's ever been any doubt that Luka would be able to produce this season, rather the larger issue has been whether or not Luka has enough of a ceiling above him to continue to maintain the gulf in his production versus that of his fellow draftees as their careers go on. Like, I can see the obvious areas where Bagley or Jackson or Knox can improve and provide more impact as their careers go on but I can't see as much for Luka, who while not a "maxed-out" sorta guy, has the skills and BBIQ stuff down but has questionable physical attributes at best that can get in the way of his next stage of development.
I agree in that is why I did not have issue with the kings taking someone with high upside. I think the thing that will hurt the Luca only fans is that he got drafted by the perfect team for him. In Dallas, they will just feed him but simultaneously will want to win

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
He doesn't let or is he just a great rebounder?

... I mean, unless you also think that Russell Westbrook's rebounding numbers are 100 percent legit?

I think that a case could be made that Jordan rebounds like Rondo assists, so he could be good at it, and also selfish to the point he's going into business for himself to get rebounds outside of the flow of the team game. That being said, I don't understand why this point is being brought up in this thread, but I also don't Stan for Luka Doncic, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I watched some of the Dallas game last night and saw plenty from Luka to reinforce my belief that he is legit and that the Kings should have taken him instead of Bagley.

He is not fast and his lateral quickness is not great but he's very smooth and fluid. This should actually improve a little too as he becomes more lean under an NBA strength program. Last night I saw him beat defenders off the dribble several times and either get a step or create space. He does this by just being crafty and very smooth with the ball in his hands. He's an effortless ball handler while keeping his vision up. I also saw him make some beautiful assists and some beautiful attempted assists that guys bungled. He also made a couple terrible passes that were just wishful thinking. He already seems to have a nice rapport with Jordan. Luka really sees the floor well and he's gifted as a passer.

His shooting last night wasn't great but some of those shots were forced. At least a couple times I saw him beat a defender off the dribble turn a corner and he seemed to look to pass but nobody was open so he took his own shot almost as a secondary option.

Some problems I saw last night is that Dallas just doesn't have a lot of finishers to pair with Luka especially with Harrison Barnes being out. It also didn't seem like so far that Smith and Doncic worked that well together. Dallas had almost taken the approach of "sometimes Dennis Smith creates the offense and sometimes Luka creates the offense"........but the problem is the other guy is just sent to the corner (especially Luka) and not really involved in the play whatsoever even as a shooter. Going forward Dennis Smith clearly has value as a finisher more than Luka so I think you will see them use Smith more as a slasher once Smith figures out he can excel off the ball.

Luka really didn't look all that useful in the half court without the ball and I think that was a combination of him not being comfortable yet without the ball and Dallas not quite yet knowing what to do with him either.

I don't see Luka's athleticism or "lack there of" being a problem going forward. Steve Nash wasn't fast either but like Luka he was smooth, fluid, and intelligent. Those 3 traits can take you a long way in the NBA. Ultimately intelligence and feel for the game will always play in the league.

I personally think Luka has a fine athleticism for PF, his position. I think that will be a strength f his, taking bigs offensively. I’d worry more about other aspects of him at PF than how he matches up athletically to his counterparts

Slow-footed, unathletic, overrated Doncic had 26/6/3/2/1 and led Mavs to the win. Meanwhile we have a glutton of bigs who can't get enough minutes and a mannequin holding down our SF spot.
Looks like Bagley and Doncic could both be great. Do you want to talk about basketball or do you want to have a flame war? There's plenty of places on the Internet where that's how issues are discussed. It would be nice if this wasn't one of them.

Looks like Bagley and Doncic could both be great. Do you want to talk about basketball or do you want to have a flame war? There's plenty of places on the Internet where that's how issues are discussed. It would be nice if this wasn't one of them.
I agree both can be great. Nothing against Bagley and I'm not trying to have a flame war. We don't all have to agree. I thought, and still do think, Doncic should have been the pick. That said, I was OK with Bagley, he was just my second choice.

This is a basketball board and we are talking about basketball right now.
We can discuss about other athletic freaks who still has to learn how to play in the track-and-field topic.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I agree both can be great. Nothing against Bagley and I'm not trying to have a flame war. We don't all have to agree. I thought, and still do think, Doncic should have been the pick. That said, I was OK with Bagley, he was just my second choice.
No problem with that at all. As I've said elsewhere, at draft time I also thought they should take Doncic. I think the front office also saw in Bagley what we're beginning to see. It may well be that both turn out to be great, maybe even 2 All Stars - the starts to their seasons suggest that could be. My take on this situation is that Doncic would have some overlap with Bogdanovich in the playmaking role and that may have been what tipped the scales in favor of drafting Bagley.

Early in the season, when there haven't been enough games yet to have, you know, actual evidence, there tends to be an overabundance of people who loudly proclaim to have it all figured out. You obviously do not fall into this category. Once we're a little farther into the season, the ratio of (Kings analysis) to (realgm hysteria) will increase significantly.

I think Bagley will be a solid player in this league now that I've seen him defend but I still think Doncic is going to be a level up from him when all is said and done.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Clarification: This thread ISN'T for a comparison of Bagley to Doncic. That's what the other thread dissolved into. This one was created specifically to discuss Luka Doncic. I cannot believe how ridiculous some of this is getting. Luka's career will go on, believe it or not, regardless of Marvin Bagley. Bagley's career will also go on, regardless of how good or bad Doncic does with the Mavs - or anywhere else.

Don't be a jerk.

Don't feel the need to post snark at every turn.

Don't feel you have to argue with anyone who says Doncic is gonna be a good player.

It's not rocket science and it certainly isn't that hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.