Let’s trade for John Collins?

Hawks are open to trading him, they don’t wanna pay him and have a crowded front court. He would fit great on the kings and we form a good young trio of Fox, Haliburton, and Collins. I’d do a trade centered around Bagley and picks. Bagley can come off the bench for them and gives them another year before having to decide to pay him. Also Bagley can play sf remember. Buddy can be involved in the trade as well, reunite him with his good friend bogi(who’s been hurt so they could use a sg)

Hawks are open to trading him, they don’t wanna pay him and have a crowded front court. He would fit great on the kings and we form a good young trio of Fox, Haliburton, and Collins. I’d do a trade centered around Bagley and picks. Bagley can come off the bench for them and gives them another year before having to decide to pay him. Also Bagley can play sf remember. Buddy can be involved in the trade as well, reunite him with his good friend bogi(who’s been hurt so they could use a sg)
They are similar players. Sure Collins has outperformed Bagley so far, but I dont think the difference in production justifies the trade; especialy given the price that Collins will surely expect to be paid. The trade is lateral and expensive.

They are similar players. Sure Collins has outperformed Bagley so far, but I dont think the difference in production justifies the trade; especialy given the price that Collins will surely expect to be paid. The trade is lateral and expensive.
Idk I just feel Collins is a proven 20/10 guy and actually stretches the floor effectively. Career 38% from 3 is very solid. He’s also more durable and would give a fresh start.

there has to be a good reason why they don't want to pay him and pair him up with Trae for the forseeable future so I'd much rather continue to wait it out on Bagley truth be told
Idk they don’t wanna max him for some reason but paid every free agent they could. They stacked PFs and Centers like Vlade was their gm

This is an interesting idea. For sure Bagly has the upside but Collins is a much more proven and able pick and roll big at this point. As for the picks, no way. The contract status of Collins in inherently a value dropper.

He also plays almost no defense.
I was just gonna ask if that aspect of his game has improved at all. I haven’t been following the Hawks much.

You wanna talk about Bagley’s elite defense?
Credit where credit is due, Bags has looked much better on that end. And looked really good against Philly.
Seems like he might be showing more potential there than Collins.

And MB3 is 18 months younger with more time to develop.

All things considered, sticking with Bagley over Collins seems like the wiser play.

The way things look like now, Collins is close to a top end outcome of what Bagley might develope into and at this moment Collins is a much more productive player.

For context: looking at rpm, out of all pf's Collins is 5th with 2,46 and Bagley is 56th with -2,69. Last year Collins was 11th and Bagley was 64th in his 13 games.

That being said I would never want to be the team that pays Collins near the max. Hes a defensive limited big man that cannot play center, cannot create offense for others and very little for himself (at leas very little efficent offense). Hes a great play finisher that can stretch the floor but its just not good enough for being the second best player on a good playoff team. Only way I would pay him was if I already had two stars while capped out so my only two options would be to resign him or let him walk for nothing without being able to replace him on free agency.

I like the potential here. Kangz play no defense of consequence as it is. Pace and volume scoring is what we get in this weird year. So double down, upgrade a main part at the 4, end up better this season and making a decision about the future based on good results instead of 'incomplete' or marginal results like we're getting so far (again) this season. Collins is better and tougher than Bagley. I see this to lead to more wins. It's a good win-win change from prior leadership's decisions, too.

Maybe if Bjelica/Bogdanovic's agent has ATL's ear, there's something to be done here with or without Bagley? Dunno.

dude12

Hall of Famer
One has to ask themselves that if they add Collins for Bagley and picks and then Collins gets a big ass contract, is that team enough to win a playoff series because there probably isn’t any other major additions with the existing salaries. I don’t see it.....and I do like Collins.

I think stay the course with Bagley, add another young piece such as Halliburton, and land a center like Drummond who Cleveland may be wanting to deal off. A much better idea

dude12

Hall of Famer
First trade in the video.

Basically involves the Hawks & Celtics.

We get Collins

Ship out Bagley to the Hawks, Barnes to the Celtics, Celtics send a first to Atlanta.

So from this guys perspective the Kings need to unload big contracts such as Barnes AND move the Bagley potential to get Collins who is going to get a potentially bigger contract than Barnes.

I’d pass on this

So from this guys perspective the Kings need to unload big contracts such as Barnes AND move the Bagley potential to get Collins who is going to get a potentially bigger contract than Barnes.

I’d pass on this
Yeah Collins is certainly do a big payday.

The salary of Barnes + Bagley next season is $31,596,205

The max if that's what it took for Collins is $29,467,800 Just using what the second year of a new max contract looks like, numbers will be off some.

Saves only $2,128,405 but I do wonder if that savings will help keep Holmes next year?

Anyone curious about max contracts here is a decent link.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/nba-maximum-salaries-for-202021.html

Max to sign with a new team is $28,649,250 if we held off and matched, they could add extras into the contract though like kickers etc.

Numbers are not set yet, The NBA has announced that the cap for next year could increase anywhere from 3-10%

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah Collins is certainly do a big payday.

The salary of Barnes + Bagley next season is $31,596,205

The max if that's what it took for Collins is $29,467,800 Just using what the second year of a new max contract looks like, numbers will be off some.

Saves only $2,128,405 but I do wonder if that savings will help keep Holmes next year?

Anyone curious about max contracts here is a decent link.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/nba-maximum-salaries-for-202021.html

Max to sign with a new team is $28,649,250 if we held off and matched, they could add extras into the contract though like kickers etc.

Numbers are not set yet, The NBA has announced that the cap for next year could increase anywhere from 3-10%
But I am of the opinion that giving Holmes a $12-15M contract, which is what has been mentioned in some spaces, would doom us. I like Holmes but we need a better defensive presence that can rebound. I’d rather upgrade that spot significantly and ride with Bagley and Barnes.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Given the salary situation I would not consider anything that wasn't a 1:1 or we could send Bjeli for one of their guards. I would rather have 1.5 more years of cost contained Bagley if we had to give up other assets. Also I thought he has played well of late and as much as missing Fox hurt us against Orlando I think Bagley was also missed.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
But I am of the opinion that giving Holmes a $12-15M contract, which is what has been mentioned in some spaces, would doom us. I like Holmes but we need a better defensive presence that can rebound. I’d rather upgrade that spot significantly and ride with Bagley and Barnes.
That is way too much for Holmes in the current NBA.

Wish the Kangz had some guts. Collins is not Grant or Wood yet but is in that realm and he’ll show for the team that has the vision, not the conservative profit share Washington Generals types.

I’d pass on this
John Collins is basically Bagley's ceiling. You may be uncomfortable shipping out assets for a guy who will inevitably be on a large contract but if you believe in Bagley he's going to demand a hefty contract to do the same things that Collins does. Your scenario's benefit is pushing back the heavy decision making by one year, but for a more questionable asset that probably won't ever become the player Collins is and to top it all off add one of the worst high-usage players in the league (Drummond) to become a extremely high usage, shaky defensive frontcourt.

Hard, hard, hard pass.

With that being said, I've waxed on about how little I believe in Bagley's fit for the modern NBA and all that stuff applies to Collins too, so I don't want him on a max contract either. However, being the 3rd team in a Collins deal that brings back draft capital and under-the-rader players is something I'd get involved with.

We should look into Mo Bamba as our center of the future. He was tons of potential he hasn’t gotten to show much playing behind Vuc. And reports are saying they plan on keeping Vuc and shopping Bamba. If the price is right we should grab him and maybe simultaneously ship out Whiteside somewhere.