Trade targets

Mavs Trade Talk: 3 Targets to Consider with Hardaway Jr. Out (msn.com)

For the Mavericks, executing a trade for Hield would be a 'buy-low' opportunity. His overall scoring efficiency has declined and it's clear when digging deeper as to why that's the case. He's shooting an abysmal 35-of-91 (38.5 percent) on finishes around the rim and floaters within the half-court this season—accounting for 18.2 percent of his overall attempts.

The level of impact Hield has provided as a catch-and-shoot threat and on shot attempts off the dribble have both been efficient this season, both of which are areas the Mavericks would seek his impact. Where he runs into problems is his tendency to get into shot chucking modes at times.

A potential trade package could involve two of Dwight Powell, Reggie Bullock, or Maxi Kleber with a smaller deal like Trey Burke or Sterling Brown being involved to help get closer to a near salary-match.

Lets trade Buddy!!

Buddy 23M for Reggie Bullock SF, Maxi Kleber PF, Sterling Brown SG 21.4M No Picks in trade
Cut Ramsey, Woodard for roster space

Why for Dallas - they get a big time shooter
Why for Sac - We finally get rid of Buddy for smaller movable rotation players
Addition by subtraction

Fox, Davion,
Hali, TD, Brown
Barnes, Bullock, Harkless, King
Bagley, Kleber, Metu, TT
Holmes, Len, Jones, Queta

After lottery set we still can trade Barnes for a 1st, Bagley to move up in Draft (Get Young Wings)
Keep both Fox and Hali
Mistaken again. We don't need "smaller movable rotation players" or more guys sitting at the end of the bench. We need front line guys. Stars win championships, not "smaller movable rotation players."

Holmes and Warren are filler, so it doesn't matter to me. As long as the anchor pieces going back and forth are Fox and Sabonis. Indy needs to shed a bit of salary for it to work.
I don't really consider Holmes & Warren to be "filler" considering both hold value to the right team. If it was just filler, then it could have been as simple as Sabonis/Lamb for Fox/Protected 1st.

I don't really consider Holmes & Warren to be "filler" considering both hold value to the right team. If it was just filler, then it could have been as simple as Sabonis/Lamb for Fox/Protected 1st.
Again, I don't care who is going out or coming in as long as Fox and Sabonis are the incoming and outgoing parts.

Building around Fox is a losing a concept. This team should be built around Hali. Fox for Sabonis. Filler on both sides.

Kings send Fox, Holmes, and a protected first for Sabonis and Warren (salary filler). http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycpv6aa8
Fox is a losing concept but Sabonis isn't? Not a big fan of tweener production 4/5's right now. Both Fox and Sabonis would probably have to have a team specfically built around them to succeed since neither has proven to be universal talent.

Adding Sabonis = building around Hali.
How? I think building around him should involve bigs that guard his backside on pick and roll defensively or protect the rim since Haliburton isn't all that excellent there himself. Sabonis at this point is a bigger Kevin Love, not terrible, could be a decent fit but I don't see how he's someone that dissuades anyone from thinking rebuilding isn't a better option.

How? I think building around him should involve bigs that guard his backside on pick and roll defensively or protect the rim since Haliburton isn't all that excellent there himself. Sabonis at this point is a bigger Kevin Love, not terrible, could be a decent fit but I don't see how he's someone that dissuades anyone from thinking rebuilding isn't a better option.
The Kings offense is basically predicated on pace. There is no consistent half court offense. With Sabonis, the Kings have an elite low post scorer and two connectors, one on the perimeter and the other in the interior. Their offensive efficiency jumps and they can actually out efficient other teams on offense--something that they simply can't do right now. They can fill the defensive perimeter and interior issues in the off season or via other moves. Easier to find defensive role players than players like Sabonis.

The Kings offense is basically predicated on pace. There is no consistent half court offense. With Sabonis, the Kings have an elite low post scorer and two connectors, one on the perimeter and the other in the interior. Their offensive efficiency jumps and they can actually out efficient other teams on offense--something that they simply can't do right now. They can fill the defensive perimeter and interior issues in the off season or via other moves. Easier to find defensive role players than players like Sabonis.
That's because the Kings coaches are dumb and never built a scheme based around draw and kick, which is where the good teams are at right now. Fox can get into the paint at will, and Barnes has legit half court scoring abilities. Fox was one of the best paint scorers in the league last year and hit like 75% of his shots within 3 feet last year when they did run more pick and roll for him at PG last year. As of now Indy is like 17th in offensive efficiency, Sac is 22, but this last stretch without Fox is killing them. Last year with Fox as the lead guard the Kings were higher than Indy. Not that having a post scorer/finisher like Sabonis wouldn't be a great addition, but in my opinion as an addition by that kind of subtraction, no, not if it meant Fox. Then there's the issue of too many mouths to feed again. They have to really make major moves around a Fox/Haliburton/Sabonis trio with the issue being the financials of it all. They still have to settle their wing issues at some point. Yet again this season, the Kings best units are small ball units.

We already have 6 centers.
None of them are real NBA quality starters except holmes who frankly gentry has used terribly. First time i have thought he sucks, because they put him on the block and freeze him out of the offense instead of running the PNR game as they have been successful with in the past. Almost makes me think the FO is paying gentry extra to run a crapty scheme (slower than any team he ever lead and not suited to our personnel).

None of them are real NBA quality starters except holmes who frankly gentry has used terribly. First time i have thought he sucks, because they put him on the block and freeze him out of the offense instead of running the PNR game as they have been successful with in the past. Almost makes me think the FO is paying gentry extra to run a crapty scheme (slower than any team he ever lead and not suited to our personnel).
I do think there is definitely some showcasing going on. Even before Walton was fired. If not the team is doomed. Here's fairly low 10 and 10 qualifier in gp and minutes.

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/a...MIN*GE*10:GROUP_NAME*E*&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1

It's even more obvious than last year. Literally the only 2 lineups in the positive are small ball units with Barnes at PF. Take it down to 8 and 8 and the only positive big unit is Len/Bagley in the front court, the other 4 are small ballers.

Honestly, a low key guy id take a look at would be Naz Reid. He played very tough against the kings this week. He is tough, brutish, athletic as hell, defends the rim (8pt/4reb and1bpg in 15min of play per game) and shoots at a reasonable 35% from the perimeter. He can play a stretch 5 in a twin towers lineup next to Sabonis and probably would be able to be had for cheap 1.9M next year (hopefully one 2n rounder and maybe Len).

I would also love to go after Bobby portis in the summer (10M/yr). But i really want hope Holmes re-engages (or is re-engaged into) the offense. He has been so frozen out over the last few months completely disengaged in the offense or defense

Honestly, a low key guy id take a look at would be Naz Reid. He played very tough against the kings this week. He is tough, brutish, athletic as hell, defends the rim (8pt/4reb and1bpg in 15min of play per game) and shoots at a reasonable 35% from the perimeter. He can play a stretch 5 in a twin towers lineup next to Sabonis and probably would be able to be had for cheap 1.9M next year (hopefully one 2n rounder and maybe Len).

I would also love to go after Bobby portis in the summer (10M/yr). But i really want hope Holmes re-engages (or is re-engaged into) the offense. He has been so frozen out over the last few months completely disengaged in the offense or defense
As odd as it might sound, Holmes seemed to play better with Luke Walton, who used him as a focal point. As well as the serious eye injury, that's enough to thrown anyone's vibe and rhythm off

Naz would be awesome. He's on one of the best deals in all the league right now and you can bet his agent is already figuring out what do with the cash when he makes his way to the FA market haha.

i wonder if thomas bryant is available now that the wizards traded for Porzingis. I think he'd be a nice fit beside Sabonis.
Bryant is kind of interesting. He's a UFA and the Wizards gave a big extension to Gafford so I seriously doubt they'll be looking to tie up another long-term deal to Bryant. He's struggled with injuries the last 2 years, but man was he looking nice as a stretch 5 during that 19-20 season and his first 10 games of 20-21 before the ACL.

I think we can do better, but he's a pretty interesting buy-low at just 24 years old.

Bryant is kind of interesting. He's a UFA and the Wizards gave a big extension to Gafford so I seriously doubt they'll be looking to tie up another long-term deal to Bryant. He's struggled with injuries the last 2 years, but man was he looking nice as a stretch 5 during that 19-20 season and his first 10 games of 20-21 before the ACL.

I think we can do better, but he's a pretty interesting buy-low at just 24 years old.
I definitely think they need a better defender then bryant as a starter , but as a third big he would be interesting.

Last edited:
The roster is at 15 +2 (King and Queta). Is there anyone you would cut to get them? I dont think I would.

I think with DDV and Mitchell both able to run point or SG and the presence of multiple redundant wing players, I am satisfied with the roster as is going through the rest of the season. There is no-one on the FA list currently I would want to cut one of our players for. This off season, we try to move holmes if we cant make it work with him and sabonis (likely move him d/t his value as a big to some teams like toronto or charlotte) and I would like to take a shot on bringing back a medium time player who has solid shooting and defense next to sabonis (PJ Washington or Bobby portis are top of the list, but I would be happy with playing another center next to sabonis like Naz Reid who is defensively tough, can protect the rim and his 3s at a steady clip). Dont want to spend significant money, but would like to bring back DJones and even possibly Lamb (but on a smaller contract than he has). Would also like to return DDV to give him a full season with this team and after he heals more.

From Shams (Athletic)

Sacramento Kings

The Kings are becoming increasingly comfortable drafting at No. 4 in Thursday’s draft and have described a steep price for teams behind them in the lottery who are attempting to trade up, sources said. Sacramento general manager Monte McNair has engaged in conversations around Hawks forward John Collins — among a slew of other established, productive players in the market — but there has been no involvement of the No. 4 pick in the discussions centered on Collins, and McNair will ultimately make the decision on the pick, according to sources.