[Game] Knicks @ Kings - 12/28/12

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It may be a tad early, but we definitely don't want a repeat of the bad karma that occurs when Brickie starts the thread. ;)

Friday night at Sleep Train with a top-ranked opponent on the schedule. This could be interesting or it could be painful. So many questions...

Who will be in the starting lineup?

Will Evans play?

Wiill Cousins play?

Will Starr be able to rescue Johnny before Connie/Kate kills him? (Oops. Sorry. I'm catching up on General Hospital while I type this.)

Will Keith Smart have a game plan or simply try to find "suitable matchups" (a futile plan at best)?

Will Knicks trolls show up to spout their disdain for our team?

Will the King surprise all of us and win, leading to the inevitable Kings kick Knicks headline? :)

GO KINGS!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Will Evans play?

Wiill Cousins play?
Its about time to answer both of those in the affirmative. This franchise practically has a deathshead floating around over it wihtout them. Get them back out there. Not 100%, pissed off, I don't care. Just resume semi-normal operations please.

I don't know if Evans plays as he slowly mends but I'm sure he's eager to get out there - at least I think he is. Cousins I'm sure want to play as well, but maybe coach wants him to beg to get on the floor, can't blame Smart for that. I'd only put Cousins into the game if JT gets into serious foul trouble (or Hayes likewise) and then if he fouls out, that's how the Boogie-cookie crumbles.

K

KingMilz

With Felton already out and Melo missing the last game if Melo doesn't play and Cousins does we could actually snatch a victory since in recent times NYK D has been very poor. There only real threat to be a big scorer is JR Smith the rest you can run of the 3 point line. However if Melo plays than the match up begin to hurt us, Melo this season has played the 4 and most teams counter that by putting there PF onto Corey Brewer and just sag of him since hes a terrible jump shooter.

The Knicks normally counter that by bringing in explosive gunner JR Smith and Novak which will cause us problems, hopefully Cousins plays and can get Chandler into foul trouble which means NYK whole defense will go out the window. This could be a bit like the GSW games we have won, the key overall tho will be us being physical which we have not been thats how the Bulls and Grizz beat them by pounding the ball inside and getting Melo/Chandler in foul trouble and frustarted.

Cousins will play, Smart said as much on the radio, he also seemed to hint that he will start.

Reke has a "bone bruise" I have no idea how serious that is but he said he'd be back after the Knicks game or would at least "give it a go"

I just want to see a close game, and a good effort.

also nice to read that IT and Trob were in the gym until 2:30am...

Last edited:
Cousins will play, Smart said as much on the radio, he also seemed to hint that he will start.

Reke has a "bone bruise" I have no idea how serious that is but he said he'd be back after the Knicks game or would at least "give it a go"

I just want to see a close game, and a good effort.

also nice to read that IT and Trob were in the gym until 2:30am...
Really? Latest I read reported by Jason Jones and all was that Smart had decided whether or not Cousins would play, but didn't disclose that information and hadn't told Cousins yet.

Really? Latest I read reported by Jason Jones and all was that Smart had decided whether or not Cousins would play, but didn't disclose that information and hadn't told Cousins yet.
There was an interview with Smart on Grants show and he basically said, without confirming that Cousins will start. He said things like "lets see how the crowd reacts tomorrow" and "lets see how he reacts tomorrow"

Then he said something like 'if you're a starter when you have a suspension you're a starter when you come back as far as I'm concerned'

im going to the game tonight since my friend wanted to go for his Bday. not too optimistic about the outcome but im excited to see Carmelo play.

i predict a 20+ point loss

L

LWP777

im going to the game tonight since my friend wanted to go for his Bday. not too optimistic about the outcome but im excited to see Carmelo play.

i predict a 20+ point loss
Isn't this pretty much your standard prediction each game? Also, I think Carmelo might be hurt?

Isn't this pretty much your standard prediction each game? Also, I think Carmelo might be hurt?
ya lately. and its right more times than its wrong unfortunately.

and ya i just heard Melo is questionable. now im pissed. my favorite player on each team isnt gonna be playing

I'm not because i want the Kings to win the game. The faint hope grows incrementally larger with him out. Can't say I'm a Melo fan in any case.

i would have that outlook if i thought the Kings could still win. but NY plays well without Melo too. they killed Miami earlier this year without him

Just saw that DeMarcus is back tonight.

And isaiah might be starting at the PG. Is Brooks hurt or did Smart just finally grow a brain?
Hope so. Jimmer and IT, while surprisingly have played well together in the backcourt, should be getting all of the PG minutes. Both guys are potentially our future at PG and need proper playing time

This needs to be a blowout, we need to keep losing games big.
I sorta agree with you, only on the condition that we are going to lose. In other words, if we fall behind big, no comeback please. Put more pressure for changes to be made. Some fans may disagree but at this point I feel it's the only way we're going to rid ourselves of Smart and possibly assemble a better fitting roster. That or we wait yet another full season and waste half of next season losing again before doing anything.

Little side note, but if IT scores 2 points tonight, he'll be the first last pick since the 1995 draft to score 1000 career points. Pretty cool achievement for him

I sorta agree with you, only on the condition that we are going to lose. In other words, if we fall behind big, no comeback please. Put more pressure for changes to be made. Some fans may disagree but at this point I feel it's the only way we're going to rid ourselves of Smart and possibly assemble a better fitting roster. That or we wait yet another full season and waste half of next season losing again before doing anything.
Don't agree with this method at all. We just need to man up and get rid of Smart rather than totally destroy our team's already fragile mind-set. Cousins, Trob, JT, Reke, Jimmer, and IT is an already in-place core that can be incredibly successful with the right veterans and coach to surround them with. You greatly risk destroying any confidence those guys have left by tanking the rest of the year

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just saw that DeMarcus is back tonight.

And isaiah might be starting at the PG. Is Brooks hurt or did Smart just finally grow a brain?
If by growing a brain you mean further muddling an already muddled mess, then you might be onto something.

Here's soemthign though: all season long Brooks and Thornton have struggled together. Meanwhile IT and Thornton at least used to work well together, albeit I would argue to the detriment of everybody else. The guy IT has always hurt has been Reke. But he may not be back tonight. So you could start IT here. Also, if Cousins is back IT could be there to hold his hand if they are friends. And with Felton out, the Knicks will probably have 1000 yr old JKidd at the PG, and he shouldn't be able to stay in front of IT, although his post game could actually be used to effect the other way.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Don't agree with this method at all. We just need to man up and get rid of Smart rather than totally destroy our team's already fragile mind-set. Cousins, Trob, JT, Reke, Jimmer, and IT is an already in-place core that can be incredibly successful with the right veterans and coach to surround them with. You greatly risk destroying any confidence those guys have left by tanking the rest of the year
The shame is that the Maloofs said they wouldn't fire Smart. It's all a tad crazy.

Well hell yeah I'd support that, but seeing as our current record apparently hasn't been sufficient to get Smart fired do you honestly think that Smart will be fired if we keep losing close games? The only way the FO will fire Smart is if we're losing by huge margins and getting embarrassed day in and day out.

And I'm not advocating tanking, I'm just hoping that if we lose (which is more likely than not in most games) it's an embarrassing loss. As in just get simply outplayed, turn the ball over, whatever. It's all about putting pressure on the FO to get Smart out of here.

Last edited:
If by growing a brain you mean further muddling an already muddled mess, then you might be onto something.

Here's soemthign though: all season long Brooks and Thornton have struggled together. Meanwhile IT and Thornton at least used to work well together, albeit I would argue to the detriment of everybody else. The guy IT has always hurt has been Reke. But he may not be back tonight. So you could start IT here. Also, if Cousins is back IT could be there to hold his hand if they are friends. And with Felton out, the Knicks will probably have 1000 yr old JKidd at the PG, and he shouldn't be able to stay in front of IT, although his post game could actually be used to effect the other way.
Never understood why IT and Reke could not work together. They've only gotten real minutes together when we Reke was at SF (bound to fail) and at the beginning of the year when Reke and Johnson were bricking outside shots like they were 6 years old first learning how to shoot. Since the OKC game, here's what IT has done in 6 games:

16.3 points, 3.1 assists, 1.57 boards, 1.42 TO’s and 45 FG%, 40 3PT%, and 91 FT% (3.42 FTA/game), 22 MPG

Those numbers couldn't help Reke and Cousins get better shots and improve their game?

Last edited: