[Game] Kings vs. T-Wolves 2/09/22 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically, what if we could get John Collins with a Holmes/Bagley/two FRPs package?

Dude's locked in for five years. Does a lot of the things Grant and PJ do. Right around the same age as Fox and Sabonis. Hawks probably don't go for it though.
I'd sell the farm, yeah. Lines up perfectly with the Sabonis/Fox/Mitchell age core at 24 years old and like you said, you then have your core lined up long-term to make a real push and hopefully keep Sabonis on board. He's also just significantly better than Jerami Grant, especially as an offensive player.

The issue is timing. Grant is up a year before Sabonis. Monte would be walking a super thin line if he trades 2 FRP for Grant, keeps him on the big extension and Sabonis doesn't have a deal the season before his UFA.

Again, I think PJ is literally the same thing and honestly might be just as impactful already. While keeping all your future draft capital. I think the Kings need to play it smart and not quite push all their chips in yet on a season they're so far behind in. That can easily happen during the draft/FA/trade season and you come out the gates firing with a fresh record.
Tbh I don’t see a world where Grant is worth 2 FRP

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
it’s a great game and Sabonis showed what he can do surrounded by shooters. Fox and Mitchell went 5-10 from three and Barnes went 4-5. If they can shoot even in that ball park going forward the team will be good. We shall see
While they might not shoot like that every game, Justin Holliday is also probably never shooting like he's lost all sensation in his hands again.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
I will miss Tyrese greatly, but one of the aspects of the trade was the balance it finally brought to our lineup, we no longer need to run a small 3 guard lineup (if we ever did) Barnes can play 3, Metu or Harkless can play 4, Domas 5 and Richaun is an excellent backup or matchup change. We also added Lamb and Holiday whom bring length, no ego, and a bit of size to the front court. Davion seems to also be now guard #2, which is good.

The balance to our lineup has seemed to make alot of the players more comfortable as well. More shots for Harrison, Dearron does not have to shoulder the load, he splits handling duties with Davion, Holiday and Lamb are long, and we actually have a full sized and pretty decent lineup.

The issue is timing. Grant is up a year before Sabonis. Monte would be walking a super thin line if he trades 2 FRP for Grant, keeps him on the big extension and Sabonis doesn't have a deal the season before his UFA.

Again, I think PJ is literally the same thing and honestly might be just as impactful already. While keeping all your future draft capital. I think the Kings need to play it smart and not quite push all their chips in yet on a season they're so far behind in. That can easily happen during the draft/FA/trade season and you come out the gates firing with a fresh record.
And I see that as a positive in a worst case. They aren't locked in for eternity with someone like Grant. PJ would be a great fall back, but it's different scenario obviously. The Hornets probably aren't looking at picks so it depends.

Sabonis basketball strength is unreal some of the best I have ever seen, he's got that nasty Khabib grappling strength probably from doing kettlebells from the age of 5. Combine that with high IQ and easy to coach and you get what you see tonight. His motor is also insane the number of screen he sets and the amount of bruises he leaves on opponents he probably my favourite player to watch in some time.

When Metu is making extra passes something is going right for one game at least.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
1- It’s wild that Gentry managed to get these guys to play like an actual high post team when the centerpiece of that offense wasn’t even cleared to play for the Kings until right before tip off.
2- Domantas getting the ball and immediately swinging it to Davion is *chef’s kiss* perfect fundamental basketball.
3- Harrison Barnes subtlety moving without the ball like Klay all of a sudden is crazy.
4- Davion’s first step might be faster than Fox’s and that’s saying something.
5- The decision to drive and kick by Davion is not something most rookies would do.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Sabonis basketball strength is unreal some of the best I have ever seen, he's got that nasty Khabib grappling strength probably from doing kettlebells from the age of 5. Combine that with high IQ and easy to coach and you get what you see tonight. His motor is also insane the number of screen he sets and the amount of bruises he leaves on opponents he probably my favourite player to watch in some time.

When Metu is making extra passes something is going right for one game at least.
Well when Sabonis was a rookie he was practicing and trying to get playing time vs players like Enes Kanter, Steven Adams, Nick Collison.. So he is definitely cut from a different cloth, just having someone competent offensively on the court to create space by getting double or carving out some kind of passing or driving lane makes everything so much easier than everyone trying to initiate offense off the dribble from the 3pt line.

I think the view of "gravity" that Buddy brought can also be applied to someone like Sabonis, older archetypes of NBA gameplay featured post up and kicking the ball out with defenders being sucked in to double Big men that you could not defend 1 on 1. Then eventually archetypes change to support the need to defend wing players that also need to be doubled or even switching defense which relies on communication between two guards or wings to negotiate screens and where they would be going, an evolution in that matter. Now we can actually have a spot at that table.

Last edited:
I left California in 98 but had season tickets till 97. Was able to enjoy Tilsdale and Richmans first home games. I am very pleased to see the fans reaction and wished I could of been there to share it with everyone.

I fell asleep before the game started but did catch the fourth quarter and it brought back great memories. Its taken awhile this year but for the first time in some time I am happy I have single team league pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.