[Game] Kings vs. Sixers, 11/22/21 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

I will say that these postgames are much more self-aware and urgent than anything Luke Walton has said in his tenure as Kings head coach.
Yeah but he better tread really carefully on the tough love bit. This is why I think going to an "inside outsider" like Bobby would have been better. He wasn't on that bench this year. Alvin was. Gentry was complicit in and an accessory to a lot of the bumbling and stumbling going on from the bench this year so far. I get it though, Alvins trying to shock them because clearly a mere coaching change shock didn't get it done for a full 4 quarters. There were moments where Gentry was trying to spark some energy from the sidelines but the players are too used to tuning it out, haha.

Yeah but he better tread really carefully on the tough love bit. This is why I think going to an "inside outsider" like Bobby would have been better. He wasn't on that bench this year. Alvin was. Gentry was complicit in and an accessory to a lot of the bumbling and stumbling going on from the bench this year so far. I get it though, Alvins trying to shock them because clearly a mere coaching change shock didn't get it done for a full 4 quarters. There were moments where Gentry was trying to spark some energy from the sidelines but the players are too used to tuning it out, haha.
I think Gentry should eventually resign some time this season. It would tell the players, a guy literally gave up on coaching in the NBA cause y’all got no heart

I think Gentry should eventually resign some time this season. It would tell the players, a guy literally gave up on coaching in the NBA cause y’all got no heart

Hahaha. Vivek should literally donate the team to the city. "You guys suck so bad I flushed 2 billion dollars", haha.

The optimist in me wanted a win because why not? This is a Philly team on flat tire.
But the realist in me remembers that Gentry just got this spot in less than 24hrs. It could probably take a couple of weeks to get even one of his own set plays running. I hope he runs blitz ala PHX days of coaching though. Being undersized often takes wins by using speed.

I will say that's the main reason he can't be a full time PG, and why just giving him the ball all the time won't work. He doesn't have the handles nor the explosiveness, similar to Lonzo. Davion is kind of the same way; I think he may look a little smoother with the ball, but he doesn't even have half the skillset, offensive IQ or general creativity of Haliburton.

"Make Hali the primary ballhandler" is about as simplistic a take as "firing the head coach will magically cure all".
Certainly, ‘Rese and Davion have things to work on. One is a 2nd year player and the other is a rookie. It’s VERY early in their careers - too soon to say how they will develop and what they can or can’t be. Fans have to be patient with their limitations and know that the upsides look very promising in different ways.

if you’re speaking to the immediate shortcomings - yes, the coaching staff is going to have to figure out the best way to utilize each because that’s all they have to work with at the moment.

I didn't watch the whole game. Who really didn't run?
I’m not sure who he was talking about, to be honest.

Generally, the pace was consistently faster and the Kings had a decent offensive flow for much of the game.

Not everyone was hitting their shots, but the effort seemed to be there for the most part.

There was still too many defensive lapses that let some of the 6-ers get into a groove and Drummond absolutely killed us on the boards (23 total; 7 offensive).

The Kings were very much in this game until late into the 4th quarter before reverting to their predictable pattern of blunders, poor execution, and lack of composure.

I wonder if it's really as simple as the fact that
1) we don't have a true dominant scorer ala Harden/Durant/Curry
and 2) also relating to 1, we don't have good enough shooting.

So it's hard to run a very good team offense because you don't have enough versatile threats. Teams can just stick a guy on Buddy on the perimeter, form a wall against Fox, play Hali for the pass etc. It's too predictable and without forcing the defense to scramble, you'll never have a great team-oriented offense with lots of movement ala the Jazz, Warriors, Spurs of old etc.

On the flip side, you could go with the kind of style that just sees a star player dominating the ball and surrounding them with shooters, but again you run into the problem that Fox is not 6'11 but can't shoot. Which might have still been ok in the whistle league of yesteryear, but if the league is moving away from giving guys 15 FTs a game Fox will really find it hard to flourish without being an outside threat.

This loss was a good thing in the long run. Yes, Walton seemed to be a major problem but now he is eliminated as a factor in the team's performance.

What is left is the production of the team itself. Now the focus can be on the players, how they interact, and how they perform. People (like us) will be more clearly concentrated on what needs to be (and can be) done to the roster.

The next few games should be "clarifiers" if Gentry makes adjustments like he intends.

This loss was a good thing in the long run. Yes, Walton seemed to be a major problem but now he is eliminated as a factor in the team's performance.

What is left is the production of the team itself. Now the focus can be on the players, how they interact, and how they perform. People (like us) will be more clearly concentrated on what needs to be (and can be) done to the roster.

The next few games should be "clarifiers" if Gentry makes adjustments like he intends.
The problem isn’t even the players it is the fit of the players. Mitchell is a good guard and he is a horrible fit with this team. Monte saying he could guard NBA 3’s was as dumb as Vlade saying Marvin could play the three.

“The Kings dropped an embarrassing game, at home, to the depleted 76ers without Ben Simmons (personal reasons), Joel Embiid (COVID-19 protocols), Seth Curry (back stiffness), Danny Green (hamstring) and Tobias Harris (hip). It should have been a blowout the other way, taking care of a tired team with nine available players on the fifth game of a six-game trip. That’s what a competent team with playoff aspirations would have done.”

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article256053757.html#storylink=cpy

I didn't watch the whole game. Who really didn't run?
I don’t think he means running down the court. I think he means cutting on offense, setting screens (not just the high middle kind), going after boards as a team, boxing out, sliding on the perimeter to meet a pass (Kings were guilty of that a few times last night), curling off screens, running the baseline…

Easiest way to kill a team’s desire to run is for them to do so early and not get the ball because the ball handler is dead set on going 1 vs 3 in the paint. Those runs become half hearted jaunts in the 2h.