[Game] Kings vs. Sixers, 11/22/21 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Monte didn’t make the the Buddy trade. I know someone in another org who claimed the trade would never happen and Monte was being played. They were correct.

Monte could have made the Fox/Simmons trade if he had any foresight and juevos. Monte has neither. If you have to wait until it’s obviously a good trade, you have no business being an NBA GM.
Weak signals is where the brave make their fortune.

Counterpoint: Wtf was he supposed to do? Vlade left him with a 100 million dollar core(before letting Bogi go) that won 39 games one time and just extended a bottom 3 coach to a big contract that had never sniffed the playoffs. If the goal was to try to win, he had no choice but to try to make Fox/Buddy/Barnes/Holmes work. And despite all the public posturing of his support for Walton, I'd be more than willing to bet he was forced to keep Walton on to save money. He just never made sense as a coach for an analytics guy like Monte.

He's hit a home-run on the fringes. Two strong late lotto first round picks that can be foundational pieces. Bevy of developmental prospects that actually have a chance to turn into something. I guess you can fault him for not making a major splash move yet, but that's also the exact thing that got us into this mess with Vlade over and over again.

We'll see what happens going forward, but I was totally on board with the McNair plan to try and win games up until this point. It was about as good as you could do with the assets/options given. But going forward, if he's a good GM, he needs to recognize that this core is broken and it's time for a reset which can be quickly expedited with veterans that can bring back FRP value
Uh, first and foremost can Walton last year so Gentry could have had a summer to work on things? My issue isn't with the core of anything, it's with the roster construction around that core and saying that Davion can play PF as an answer. Geez, Vlade saying Bagley can play SF is Einstein compared to that ****. Monte made middling trades and in the summer committed to those middling trade pieces. Subsequently the only piece in those trades that was re-signed with any real upside was Terence Davis and he's not even in the rotation anymore. lol.

Barnes is shooting 29 percent from 3 the last 9 games, Davion has shot poorly, Metu/ mo/Bagley have shot poorly. TD cant shoot for some reason. Hali doesn’t take anywhere near enough 3s. This team is not good enough defensively to overcome the poor shooting. These guys have to start making them. Design some plays to get Hali open looks!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I thought thybulle was on buddy blocking all those 3s from the top
The Sixers were essentially running a partial zone with Thybulle covering the point of attack. The second one of our guards got the ball in a position to go downhill, he was on them. The only one who really managed to fight through it was Fox.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Monte didn’t make the the Buddy trade. I know someone in another org who claimed the trade would never happen and Monte was being played. They were correct.

Monte could have made the Fox/Simmons trade if he had any foresight and juevos. Monte has neither. If you have to wait until it’s obviously a good trade, you have no business being an NBA GM.
Death, taxes, and the Kings being leveraged for someone else’s benefit. Lmao

It’s extremely hard to win back fans once they have checked out. I use to be such a gigantic fan. HUGE. Not so much anymore. I had 2 free suite tix available and I passed on them. Bad basketball bores the hell out of me. I’d rather stay at home and watch good basketball on league pass.
Are you talking about season tix for suite or tonight's game?

Uh, first and foremost can Walton last year so Gentry could have had a summer to work on things? My issue isn't with the core of anything, it's with the roster construction around that core and saying that Davion can play PF as an answer. Geez, Vlade saying Bagley can play SF is Einstein compared to that ****. Monte made middling trades and in the summer committed to those middling trade pieces. Subsequently the only piece in those trades that was re-signed with any real upside was Terence Davis and he's not even in the rotation anymore. lol.
Let's be honest here. Does anyone truly believe that McNair wanted Walton as his coach the first season and 17 games into his tenure as a GM? That it was solely 100% on the shoulders of McNair to keep Walton on as coach?

I honestly expected a win with a new coach and playing a team without arguably their 4 best players on our home court.
arguably the Kings are a bit shell shocked whereas those Philly guys are playing for their NBA careers. I think just showing some lineup flexibility and some variety in the offense, looking to drive, etc. is a lot more positive than looking at a result. This season is wasted, we're in evaluation and sell mode now. At least we should be.

Let's be honest here. Does anyone truly believe that McNair wanted Walton as his coach the first season and 17 games into his tenure as a GM?
Well if not then he has no power which is a sign of doom that no trade, no plan, no anything will make up for. If Monte has been this conservative on all levels not by his own choice, but by directive then I'm not sure this team has much of a future unless Gentry can't turn this around quick.

I will say that's the main reason he can't be a full time PG, and why just giving him the ball all the time won't work. He doesn't have the handles nor the explosiveness, similar to Lonzo. Davion is kind of the same way; I think he may look a little smoother with the ball, but he doesn't even have half the skillset, offensive IQ or general creativity of Haliburton.

"Make Hali the primary ballhandler" is about as simplistic a take as "firing the head coach will magically cure all".
I’d love to see Mitchell-Halliburton together off the bench. I think for those exact reasons, they’d compliment eachother nicely. Don’t think you can hand them the keys yet, but it’d be worth a shot to see what they can do together. Buddy also pairs better next to Fox than Halliburton imo.

I’d love to see Mitchell-Halliburton together off the bench. I think for those exact reasons, they’d compliment eachother nicely. Don’t think you can hand them the keys yet, but it’d be worth a shot to see what they can do together. Buddy also pairs better next to Fox than Halliburton imo.
Yeah, rather than trying to balance their way, they need to come out firing with as much fire power at the start and see if they can sustain the lulls.

Not unless Fox plays better defense consistently.

Barnes is shooting 29 percent from 3 the last 9 games, Davion has shot poorly, Metu/ mo/Bagley have shot poorly. TD cant shoot for some reason. Hali doesn’t take anywhere near enough 3s. This team is not good enough defensively to overcome the poor shooting. These guys have to start making them. Design some plays to get Hali open looks!
The thing is Hali can’t get his shot off fast enough hence why you never see him shoot much

I honestly expected a win with a new coach and playing a team without arguably their 4 best players on our home court.
It sure was disheartening to hear Gentry say during the pregame interview that they wouldn’t really be changing anything and that the coaching staff were all in agreement on direction of the team.

While not unexpected — which is precisely why I said backfilling with one of Walton‘s hand-picked assistants wasn’t the best thing — it’s still somewhat surprising to hear a complete lack of awareness that things need to change.

The definition of insanity. The KINGS are living it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It sure was disheartening to hear Gentry say during the pregame interview that they wouldn’t really be changing anything and that the coaching staff were all in agreement on direction of the team.

While not unexpected — which is precisely why I said backfilling with one of Walton‘s hand-picked assistants wasn’t the best thing — it’s still somewhat surprising to hear a complete lack of awareness that things need to change.

The definition of insanity. The KINGS are living it.
To be fair, he said that and then changed a lot of the sets back to what we were running last season