[Game] Kings vs Clippers 3/1- 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Al Horford opts out we should throw a big offer at him. I am also interested in learning more about Williams’ alternative coaching options—I hate soft basketball. Losing is one thing—consistently playing soft whenever Giles and Bagley are off the floor is inexcusable.

Well, whatever. Goal should be to be a ~.500 team with the goal to make the playoffs next year. A couple things killed our playoff chances down the stretch of the season I feel.

-Barnes terrible shooting.
-Bogdan terrible everything.
-Joerger being insistent on failed small ball lineups. Bonus points for changing up things in a risky experiment at the worst possible time.

The goal for next year's roster is to get Bogi back on the bench. Move Harrison Barnes back to the 3 and hope he regains a ~38% stroke. No matter what WCS is or isn't, he and Bagley are a redundant, bad fit and I don't think anyone would argue against Bagley being the superior talent. Promote Bagley to starter next year and part with WCS. The other big... either turn Giles into a stretch big or go get a stretch big that isn't turds like Bjelica is (Vuvevic?).

Long time lurker here and a kings fan since 1999. Just wanted to say that one guy that's really not actually impressing me based on the accolades he gets from the media is our boy fox. Fox is playing like a solid point guard with a low turnover to assist ratio which is really good BUT i'm not seeing a guy that can take it to the rim and finish consistently. Much like the rest of our team minus buddy, we're inconsistent shooters and lousy rebounders.

I was not happy with harrison barnes as I see him as fools gold. Low efficiency and too streaky. Not terrible at anything but not great at anything. We need to also have more than 1 style which eventually over a long season will wear us out. We aren't as talented as the Suns in the mid 2000's so this up the floor as fast as possible stuff aint going to work in large stretches.

De'Andre Jordan and another 3 point shooter ( legit one)

Lot's of close loses this season, which is rather annoying, however, Denver had a lot of them last season too and now they're balling. Here's hoping we follow their path.

Well, whatever. Goal should be to be a ~.500 team with the goal to make the playoffs next year. A couple things killed our playoff chances down the stretch I feel.

-Barnes terrible shooting.
-Bogdan terrible everything.
-Joerger being insistent on failed small ball lineups. Bonus points for changing up things in a risky experiment at the worst possible time.

The goal for next year's roster is to get Bogi back on the bench. Move Harrison Barnes back to the 3 and hope he regains a ~38% stroke. No matter what WCS is or isn't, he and Bagley are a redundant, bad fit and I don't think anyone would argue against Bagley being the superior. Promote Bagley to starter next year and part with WCS. The other big... either turn Giles into a stretch big or go get a stretch big that isn't turds like Bjelica is (Vuvevic?).

Barnes is starting to come around. I'm not sure what's up with Bogdan but honestly, and the same can be said for Buddy, I'd like to see more spot shots. I haven't really totally paid attention but it seems like this year and especially lately almost every shot the Kings guards get is on the move. They work way too hard to get a shot.

People were warned but no they though Barnes brought something. Let’s just be happy he’s getting more than 1 apg
Indeed they were warned. Both of us have posted at length about Barnes. I posted at length in the personnel section about why I didn't like Barnes. Dallas just didn't give away a winning player. In fact Dallas has played basically the same since losing their #2 and #3 players.

It's too bad really. He's a great guy just a really solid person. He's also a solid defender. Offensively though he plays losing basketball.

He doesn't do a lot of things to outwardly make you lose but he doesn't do the little things that help you win. The offensive movement stagnates with Barnes on the court.

It's tough because Barnes is actually the least of this teams problems but he was supposed to make the team better and he just flat out hasn't done that. The weaknesses of the team are still the same and offensively they are no better than they were before.

Dallas traded Barnes for nothing for a reason.

Defensively I like Barnes quite a bit. Offensively Barnes doesn't play winning basketball and folds under pressure time and time again.

Technically he's better than what the Kings had and gave up but Barnes doesn't actually get you any more wins. Sports is funny that way. Barnes is a superior player on paper to Shumpert but Shump helped this team win more.
Definitely don’t agree with that. Shump brought worse defense than Barnes. You just expect more from Barnes

Dallas traded Barnes for nothing for a reason.

Defensively I like Barnes quite a bit. Offensively Barnes doesn't play winning basketball and folds under pressure time and time again.

Technically he's better than what the Kings had and gave up but Barnes doesn't actually get you any more wins. Sports is funny that way. Barnes is a superior player on paper to Shumpert but Shump helped this team win more.
I was hoping it was strictly fit, like Gay, and he was of the Porter/Gallinari ilk...

If Luke Walton comes available...things get interesting.

Haha.

In all seriousness though if the coaching spot were to come into question it's all on Vlade to determine the right X's and O's person. That's always the next step. They have the core so it's now about putting them in the best position to win.

Guys, the Kings defense wasn't that bad in this one. The Kings will only be as good as their offensive play. If they do play Barnes at PF I don't know how they can't take advantage by spreading the floor and opening up the middle. The Kings are reverting to some kind of attack team with no spacing in which to do it. Takes those end of game heaves away and the Kings sit at 19 attempts.
They can only take advantage if they can hit their 3’s. Their 3 point shooting had plummeted since the break. The starters were all minus double digits but DJ played them 38 minutes.

too many close games lately
Young inexperienced team. Probably snuck out about 5 games early in the season that they didn’t deserve.
Sucks but....Clippers way better team.
I’m not so sure about that. They have our number but for all the praise they get, it’s not like they are a 50+ win team. They are really solid. If they don’t get a huge FA next year, we will be better.

not sure why anyone is mad about this loss. we aren't a playoff team anyways.
I mean I agree. If by judging all of the posts which say in their own words that the Kings are a crappy and horrible team, why would people be upset if we don't make the playoffs?? I mean if we are so disgustingly horrible, why the frustration? Afterall, we will probably only win 40 to 43 games which is so much worse then last year, correct?

Definitely don’t agree with that. Shump brought worse defense than Barnes. You just expect more from Barnes
He's making 25 million a year. Of course I expect more than Shump from him.

Barnes is better than Shump at everything except helping you win.

Basketball and all of sports isn't just about stats. Intangibles and chemistry play huge roles in helping you win.

They can only take advantage if they can hit their 3’s. Their 3 point shooting had plummeted since the break. The starters were all minus double digits but DJ played them 38 minutes.

Their attempts have plummeted. Prior to tonight they were still hitting at close to 35% and that's with Bagley taking nearly 2 a game on average and only hitting 22%. It's just the way it is. A team like this, ESPECIALLY one that plays small is going to somewhat live and die behind the arc. You don't have a size advantage so playing inside is a very selective thing at that point. I do think Barnes can be much better used in iso but it's increasingly difficult to get to the rack with that lack of spacing they keep getting.

Basketball and all of sports isn't just about stats. Intangibles and chemistry play huge roles in helping you win.
To be fair to Barnes if he were playing a defensive 3 he would be more in position to succeed. Putting him at a small ball 4 isn’t really his strength.

Their attempts have plummeted. Prior to tonight they were still hitting at close to 35% and that's with Bagley taking nearly 2 a game on average and only hitting 22%. It's just the way it is. A team like this, ESPECIALLY one that plays small is going to somewhat live and die behind the arc. You don't have a size advantage so playing inside is a very selective thing at that point. I do think Barnes can be much better used in iso but it's increasingly difficult to get to the rack with that lack of spacing they keep getting.
Their percentage has plummeted also. From top 4 to bottom 5 overnight since February.

He was never worth that contract but right now, Barnes is helping this team in the ways that are historically considered "helping you win". His defense has been great. And chemistry wise I think his unselfishness is almost hurting the team right now.

Let’s face it, this team is a .500 team. Win some, lose some. That is great step forward, but without the excitement of youth that this team has to bring, they are a fun team with holes to fill in the off-season. Some will come from internal growth individually. Some with team growth after the mid season trades. And hopefully they add another FA building block (Vucevic....please?)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Al Horford opts out we should throw a big offer at him. I am also interested in learning more about Williams’ alternative coaching options—I hate soft basketball. Losing is one thing—consistently playing soft whenever Giles and Bagley are off the floor is inexcusable.
Al Horford getting old and starting to suck is a big part of why the Celtics are almost as dysfunctional as the Lakers are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.