[Game] Kings vs. Bucks, 4/3/2021, 7pm PST 10pm EST

dude12

Hall of Famer
Man... I do not see an excellent defender. Certainly solid-plus, when the matchup is right. Provides switchability other slower-footed centers don’t. But an excellent defender to me is someone who makes opposing players think twice about what they’re doing. Change the way they play and have a game altering presence. There isn’t a single person changing up their game because of Rashaun Holmes. And when the other guy is able to muscle him down?

Plus... We’re one of the worst defensive teams in history. It’s hard to justify calling anyone excellent TBH.
Meanwhile Brook Lopez is showing what excellent defense from your center looks like.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Look, Holmes is a terrific small ball mismatch center. Lets put it this way, can you imagine this dude under Mike D'Antoni? He'd easily be bumped up one more level into a top tier for sure.
Right. I don't anyone reading this entire discussion to get the opinion that I'm down on the guy but Holmes requires a certain set of conditions to really function at a high level and this current stretch of Luke trying to use him like a normal center on one end and a super switcher on the other end isn't matching most of them.

If you use him as a downhill screen and roll finisher though, he's deadly. Unfortunately we've gone away from that since the trade deadline for some reason.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Super deathsquad coming through here. You know, Barnes' strength is actually a better matchup against Lopez. He's not able to get much of anywhere on Barnes on the boards.

Right. I don't anyone reading this entire discussion to get the opinion that I'm down on the guy but Holmes requires a certain set of conditions to really function at a high level and this current stretch of Luke trying to use him like a normal center on one end and a super switcher on the other end isn't matching most of them.

If you use him as a downhill screen and roll finisher though, he's deadly. Unfortunately we've gone away from that since the trade deadline for some reason.
Agreed here, horrid coaching. The first Spurs game really stood out where Hali-Holmes just absolutely torched their defense for like a whole quarter on the PnR. They couldn't stop it. Doesn't make sense why that isn't our base play.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Feels like Holiday has always killed the Kings since coming into the league. Getting killed by Bobby Portis and Brook Lopez just sorta sealed the deal