[Game] Kings v. Warriors - Friday, Feb. 2 - 7:30 PT

Thank you. I lost my father today. We watched a lot of Kings games together over the years and we spent most of my childhood living a few blocks from Franke's Drugs and I have been excited to see the neon sign collection at the new arena. Unfortunately I didn't get to take him to a game over the holidays the past two years.

I smiled a few times watching the game today. When they came back I thought about watching it with him and he'd probably have told me they'd blow it.
So sorry for your loss. My Dad was not a big fan of organized sports, at least not professional sports teams, when I was a kid. However, in his later years he became a big Cincinnati Reds fan, which was my team from my early years on. It was pleasurable to have game discussions with him, and strangely satisfying to hear him talk about Marty and Joe, the Reds longtime announcers, like they were old friends. I lost him in August 1990, the last year the Reds won the World Series.

I really like the way this team battles and doesn't quit. I like the enthusiasm they show during the game and especially from the bench, young guys and vets both. I think they really enjoy playing together and pull for one another, young guys and vets, both.

It was good to see Jackson get some big time minutes and his play warranted the minutes he got. I was a little surprised to see Willie get as many minutes as he got, I wasn't even sure if he would play. I thought he played well enough, but that he wasn't moving as freely as he normally does, may have just been the brace and compression sleeves (or even the slippery floor). I hope this isn't something that lingers. I hope he is available tonight.

"KD is the MVP and bogdon is a rookie and sometimes that's just the way it goes."

That thinking has ALWAYS bugged me. It makes the league seem very WWE-ish. Cmon man! So no matter what KD does, since he's the former MVP, the ref just sees MVP and will call whatever on the opposing player? Who in their right mind thinks that's ok because, well, "that's just the way it is". Didn't sit right with me when this BS was going on with Jordan, Kobe, or anyone else. I'd love to hear why the ref wouldn't just swallow his whistle instead of calling some phantom BS on bogdon.
Drives me nuts too. Star treatment as well as "Harden" type calls (offensive player bulldozing to cup creating contact to get himself space and ref awards foul on retreating defender) have been the biggest and only complaint of mine in regards to NBA officiating for last 2 decades.

Finally tracked down a streamable of the excellent defense Bogdan was playing on KD, Durant's push off that gets called as a foul on Bogdan. Bonus is P.J.'s commentary regarding MVP players vs. Rookies.

I was livid during the game. :mad:
https://streamable.com/0n9hh

Hearing PJ carlisimo ratonalizing that :mad::mad::mad::mad: is ridiculous! Durant shoves Bogdan away and Bog called for foul lol

Following PJs logic, rookies should just step aside and let any "mvp" "gods" walk in for layups un challenged.

Hearing PJ carlisimo ratonalizing that :mad::mad::mad::mad: is ridiculous! Durant shoves Bogdan away and Bog called for foul lol

Following PJs logic, rookies should just step aside and let any "mvp" "gods" walk in for layups un challenged.
That's bullcrap. We should have Called a play right after that and layed down some lumber on KD.
I like how the team competed overall even if we missed a ton of open looks. We need to show some nastiness thou or we can get a reputation of being soft. ZBO isn't that player either btw because he has a buddy buddy relationship with many star players in the league already.

I got some rather sad news about 6pm and enjoyed watching this game. So take that for what it's worth. A lot of heart and clearly the kids are growing. And they remain in the hunt for a top draft pick. It had it all.
My sentiments, too.
I didn't find Fox's play to be disappointing at all, except maybe for the box score. But just watching him and replaying some plays, he has definitely turned a corner, or kicked his game up a notch. He's using his speed more effectively. He's setting up his teammates more effectively. He's using his quickness on defense more effectively. By the end of the season, we're all going to act surprised that he wasn't in the rising stars game. But the fact is, he had a disappointing start to his rookie season. Despite his age, you kind of expect a 5th pick to come out stronger, even though we know that it takes a while for PGs to get their game together. But still...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
My sentiments, too.
I didn't find Fox's play to be disappointing at all, except maybe for the box score. But just watching him and replaying some plays, he has definitely turned a corner, or kicked his game up a notch. He's using his speed more effectively. He's setting up his teammates more effectively. He's using his quickness on defense more effectively. By the end of the season, we're all going to act surprised that he wasn't in the rising stars game. But the fact is, he had a disappointing start to his rookie season. Despite his age, you kind of expect a 5th pick to come out stronger, even though we know that it takes a while for PGs to get their game together. But still...
I may be wrong but I believe he was one of the youngest Frosh in his class. And he clearly had to work on building his NBA body. Given that he is showing obvious signs of progression while doing so and getting used to the rigors of a pro schedule tells me a lot about what we need to know moving forward.

I also really liked what I saw out of Buddy at the end of the game, though he missed some shots that could have made it really interesting. He was really active and aggressive on takeaways that lead to that last run.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings probably had at least a dozen missed layups in this game. Just make half of them and it's a different game. (I can see why Joerger is working in practice on running full speed and making layups). I'm very proud of the way they played though. This team is developing the never-say-die grit that is essential to be a good team.

I loved the fact that Jackson got some big minutes. I don't think we know what his ceiling is yet. My guess is that his 3 point shooting percentage has a big jump up after he works on it this summer.

The Kings probably had at least a dozen missed layups in this game. Just make half of them and it's a different game. (I can see why Joerger is working in practice on running full speed and making layups). I'm very proud of the way they played though. This team is developing the never-say-die grit that is essential to be a good team.

I loved the fact that Jackson got some big minutes. I don't think we know what his ceiling is yet. My guess is that his 3 point shooting percentage has a big jump up after he works on it this summer.
Started off bad at UNC as well but he’ll get there also he’s good off the ball

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thank you. I lost my father today. We watched a lot of Kings games together over the years and we spent most of my childhood living a few blocks from Franke's Drugs and I have been excited to see the neon sign collection at the new arena. Unfortunately I didn't get to take him to a game over the holidays the past two years.

I smiled a few times watching the game today. When they came back I thought about watching it with him and he'd probably have told me they'd blow it.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

"KD is the MVP and bogdon is a rookie and sometimes that's just the way it goes."

That thinking has ALWAYS bugged me. It makes the league seem very WWE-ish. Cmon man! So no matter what KD does, since he's the former MVP, the ref just sees MVP and will call whatever on the opposing player? Who in their right mind thinks that's ok because, well, "that's just the way it is". Didn't sit right with me when this BS was going on with Jordan, Kobe, or anyone else. I'd love to hear why the ref wouldn't just swallow his whistle instead of calling some phantom BS on bogdon.
I've always loathed 'star treatment'. While I'm a Kings fan first and foremost, my teen years was spent idolizing Michael Jordan -- like many young fans of the time. But I never understood why Jordan, Magic, Bird or any other superstar you could name needed help from the refs. My thought was always, if they are so damn good -- they don't need help! If anything, the lesser known players should get the benefit of the doubt in order to level the playing field.

It's tough enough to compete with these superior players, but near impossible to win when they get most the calls too. Think Kings-Lakers 2002. The Kings were good enough to beat the Lakers heads up, just not good enough to overcome the Lakers and the preferential treatment by the officials. Kobe's elbow to Mike Bibby's nose in game 6 immediately comes to mind.

I commented several games ago that one thing that surprised me when I started watching NBA games regularly again after several years away from the NBA game was the quality of the officiating.

I thought with the growth and vast amount of money in the NBA market, the officiating would follow suit with the quality of the athletes and be the best in the world.

Maybe they are. I realize how hard a job it is. The speed and size and just plain athleticism of today’s athlete has greatly increased the difficulty in keeping up with the players and being in proper position to make split second calls.

However, my biggest gripe is the bias shown to certain players, the so called super player calls. The NBA claims that the officials are trained and admonished to be objective. I honestly believe that the majority try to do the best job they can.

But this phenomenon is apparently wide spread and not just limited to a few officials. Now I realize that fans have a bias regarding their team, but it is also recognized and commonly addressed by commentators on the air and in the press, both local and national – “He is always going to get that call against the rook because he is a super star”.

How does it come to be? Does the NBA hold work seminars for the officials where they identify who has earned the right of super star calls?

Or is it some form of mass psychosis where they are all influenced by outside stimuli to subconsciously lose their objectivity? Does the way the media and fans regard players influence the official’s objectivity?

I have wondered if you could take 3 officials and memory wipe them of the players identities, of who the super stars were, and put them in an NBA game, would their objectivity be there? Or would they, as the game progressed, begin to recognize who the super stars were, by their play, by the way they carried themselves, by the way the fans reacted to them, even by the way the other players reacted to them. Would they lose their objectivity again?

Maybe it is just human nature to defer to the gifted.

I commented several games ago that one thing that surprised me when I started watching NBA games regularly again after several years away from the NBA game was the quality of the officiating.

I thought with the growth and vast amount of money in the NBA market, the officiating would follow suit with the quality of the athletes and be the best in the world.

Maybe they are. I realize how hard a job it is. The speed and size and just plain athleticism of today’s athlete has greatly increased the difficulty in keeping up with the players and being in proper position to make split second calls.

However, my biggest gripe is the bias shown to certain players, the so called super player calls. The NBA claims that the officials are trained and admonished to be objective. I honestly believe that the majority try to do the best job they can.

But this phenomenon is apparently wide spread and not just limited to a few officials. Now I realize that fans have a bias regarding their team, but it is also recognized and commonly addressed by commentators on the air and in the press, both local and national – “He is always going to get that call against the rook because he is a super star”.

How does it come to be? Does the NBA hold work seminars for the officials where they identify who has earned the right of super star calls?

Or is it some form of mass psychosis where they are all influenced by outside stimuli to subconsciously lose their objectivity? Does the way the media and fans regard players influence the official’s objectivity?

I have wondered if you could take 3 officials and memory wipe them of the players identities, of who the super stars were, and put them in an NBA game, would their objectivity be there? Or would they, as the game progressed, begin to recognize who the super stars were, by their play, by the way they carried themselves, by the way the fans reacted to them, even by the way the other players reacted to them. Would they lose their objectivity again?

Maybe it is just human nature to defer to the gifted.
Unfortunately, this kind of mindset and approach by the league when it comes to officiating is going to stay with it forever. Star players are ALWAYS going to get the benefit of the doubt. No matter what...