[Game] Kings v. Nuggets - Saturday, Jan. 6 - 7 PT

Law of averages? Come on. Give them a little more credit. They've played hard, they've done their jobs and Joerger has done his. We're still gonna lose more games than we win but IMHO we're at least facing the right direction.
Actually this was the team I had in mind in the off-season....I was hoping the management and coaching would mimic what the Bulls were doing. Trial by fire. Nice to see Fox have a strong outing.

We saw the real Kings tonight. A nice brief reprieve but probably unfortunately just that for the time being. Coach played his team like it was a real NBA squad for once and the team responded. He still didn't get over his Temple fetish and decided to sit Skal on what could have been a career night but oh well I guess we'll take a few turd nuggets with those chocolate sprinkles on our sundae. Switching to screen and roll showed the potential of many of the Kings building blocks and how things should be moving forward.

We saw the real Kings tonight. A nice brief reprieve but probably unfortunately just that for the time being. Coach played his team like it was a real NBA squad for once and the team responded. He still didn't get over his Temple fetish and decided to sit Skal on what could have been a career night but oh well I guess we'll take a few turd nuggets with those chocolate sprinkles on our sundae. Switching to screen and roll showed the potential of many of the Kings building blocks and how things should be moving forward.
This I get. Would have liked to see more Skal run, but VC was absolutely the glue out there for us. Played amazing defense and did a bunch of little things to keep the ship right when we needed it on offense.

This I get. Would have liked to see more Skal run, but VC was absolutely the glue out there for us. Played amazing defense and did a bunch of little things to keep the ship right when we needed it on offense.

I can't complain about VC. There were/are plenty of ways to work Skal in without sitting VC. Skal could easily have spent time at center in this one as well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm gonna give Joerger major credit for what he just did in the post-game. A reporter from Serbia just asked a question about Bogs and his impact on the Kings, and Joerger gave a beautiful answer - truthful and yet very complimentary. The kind of thing that makes the home town fans incredibly happy. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Actually this was the team I had in mind in the off-season....I was hoping the management and coaching would mimic what the Bulls were doing. Trial by fire. Nice to see Fox have a strong outing.
See, there's the BIG difference. Some of you wanted to see the "trial by fire" from the get-go. Others of us wanted to let the rooks get a little mileage before tossing them out there for major minutes. This was actually what I've been wanting to see - the rookies getting more minutes on the court together when the coaching staff thinks they're ready.

Looks like a win-win all the way around.

:)

I'm gonna give Joerger major credit for what he just did in the post-game. A reporter from Serbia just asked a question about Bogs and his impact on the Kings, and Joerger gave a beautiful answer - truthful and yet very complimentary. The kind of thing that makes the home town fans incredibly happy. :)
He’s lucky he asked him after a win :) Although he’s probably be more friendly to a foreign reporter like that

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Listening to DeFox after the game, I was impressed with the emphasis he placed on the "GOOD PRACTICES" the team had leading up to tonight's game. It's like the second semester in shop class. You get the easy stuff out of the way at first, like learning not to cut off your fingers, so you can start making that sewing machine cabinet for your mom. Sounds like the Kings are starting to work on that cabinet. :p

Fox is finding every open shooter. Everyone just bricking them like crazy
Except Bogie.

Fox played a great game but for some odd reason he never seems to get the ball to Bogie open on the perimeter. Not sure why that seems to be the case. Perhaps I’m incorrect. Do others have that impression?

Watched bits and pieces tonight as I was switching back and forth between the Kings game and the football game. So my comments that follow are all based on what I did watch when I had it switched over to the game. I will watch it again, as it currently sits on the DVR...

Our defense, for the most part, looked fantastic. Forcing Denver to take tough shots. And bad shots. And also forcing a shot clock violation, which was the result of some FANTASTIC pressure defense. Saw a couple of nice blocks by Skal down low. And the turnovers......who can forget about the turnovers. There were a lot of them. Mad props go out to Torrey Craig for being the only Nugget without a turnover. Also, mad props go out to Mr. Craig for also being one of the two Nuggets who probably could have stayed at home, on his couch, watching the game and be more productive. (Mr. Beasley, I talk to you as well, sir.)

Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids. Young kids.

You gotta love the "Young kids". Fox was fantastic tonight. Bogie was great as well. Buddy Buckets made some nice shots. Skal was amazing. WCS continues to amaze me as the season progresses. And, finally, I think Malachi can be a very solid role player for us moving forward.

Except Bogie.

Fox played a great game but for some odd reason he never seems to get the ball to Bogie open on the perimeter. Not sure why that seems to be the case. Perhaps I’m incorrect. Do others have that impression?
Didn't see the same thing. Young players can get tunnel vision a lot, so that's probably why.
Why didn’t zbo play tonight?
Oral surgery..as weird as it sounds, I'd want a few days to rest too.

more young guys please.

You're probably right. It's a reprieve that I loved seeing but is probably just temporary. Zbo and Hill were out; that's probably why this happened.

Zbo will eventually be back to not play defense and make everyone else worse.

You're probably right. It's a reprieve that I loved seeing but is probably just temporary. Zbo and Hill were out; that's probably why this happened.

Zbo will eventually be back to not play defense and make everyone else worse.
Yup.

Exciting game. If not for a child birth and oral surgery we wouldn't have been treated to this type of win. It pains me that joeger is gonna go right back to walking the ball up and dumping it to zbo while everyone else stands around. Young guns, play them more, win or lose.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yup.

Exciting game. If not for a child birth and oral surgery we wouldn't have been treated to this type of win. It pains me that joeger is gonna go right back to walking the ball up and dumping it to zbo while everyone else stands around. Young guns, play them more, win or lose.
I think you're gonna be surprised as I think we're gonna see more of the kids as they go from crawling to walking. Did you see Vlade's face tonight? He was truly enjoying seeing the way his plan is starting to come together. It's my hope, guess, wish, whatever that we're gonna see things going more in that direction. I also think Z-Bo and Hill be gone before February.

I think you're gonna be surprised as I think we're gonna see more of the kids as they go from crawling to walking. Did you see Vlade's face tonight? He was truly enjoying seeing the way his plan is starting to come together. It's my hope, guess, wish, whatever that we're gonna see things going more in that direction. I also think Z-Bo and Hill be gone before February.
I've grown fond of ZBo but I sure hope you're right and we move on

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Hill's a guaranteed goner but I can see Z-Bo still being on this team sheerly because Vlade and Joerger (rightfully) don't trust Skal and Willie enough to just hand them all the big man minutes (I can see us flipping Kosta and his semi-expiring contract to a contender sooner than I can see us getting rid of Z-Bo). Fairly certain Vince is going to stick around all season if only because he's one of three guys on the team capable of matching up with stretch bigs and traditional wingmen on defense.

I like that Malachi has kind of figured out that he can carve out a niche in this league as a 3 and D wing. Has the tools for it, strong frame, length and his shot is smoothe, just needs to get more consistent , also can attack off the dribble semi well off closeouts. Out of college he was just a gunner and we kind of saw that last year, will be interesting to see if Joerger keeps him in the rotation regularly.

What did he say? I can’t find a link to it.

I like that Malachi has kind of figured out that he can carve out a niche in this league as a 3 and D wing. Has the tools for it, strong frame, length and his shot is smoothe, just needs to get more consistent , also can attack off the dribble semi well off closeouts. Out of college he was just a gunner and we kind of saw that last year, will be interesting to see if Joerger keeps him in the rotation regularly.
Yeah if he can continue to add to his frame and clean up his game he can hold down a wing spot going forward.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox - last game he kept his dribble and profited by it; this game he kept he dribble and drove aggressively to the basket and played the best game of his young career
Skal - best game of his young career; confident on offense; 3 blocks; this is a small glimpse of his potential. I'm extremely happy for Skal. Still looking for more drives to the basket.
WCS - best game of his career, by far. Very active on defense. Ran the floor like he meant it; utilized his speed and quickness. Energy, energy, energy, is what I've been wanting from WCS, and that's what he gave in this game. The only time he slowed up was when he was frustrated by a non-foul and Joerger called a TO and WCS came out of it ready to play again with energy.

As Joerger alluded in his post-game, this is the kind of energy the team needs to bring to 90% of their games. I'd settle for 80% for this young team. Up to now, we've seen probably one in five games have this kind of energy. It's time to see four in five games with this energy. They can't just have the mindset that they've shown what they "can" do if they put their mind to it and now it's time to rest up.

I agree with Christie and many others - I want the same starting lineup against San Antonio. The Kings haven't got the strength, skill, or experience of SA, but they have more speed and quickness. Use it. That's the only advantage they have. At the least they should make SA feel like they've been in a competitive game. Rebounding is absolutely essential in this game to even make it close.

Hill I could see. He hasn't helped the team in any way this year. My fear there is that to get rid of him we are going to need to attach some sort of asset to him to have some team to take him off our hands. Zbo though is a little cloudier. He's Joerger's main guy and Joerger trusts him more so than any other player. That might take some serious convincing.