[Game] Kings v. Lakers - Saturday, Feb. 24 - 7 PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I changed the channel right before the final buzzer. I could not stand to see any kind of celebration by the effing Lakers, including IT, on OUR home court. I yearn so badly for the day to come when Laker fans are banished from G1C like the vermin they are.

I saw a LOT to be hopeful about. I love our kids, but I will never be happy losing to the effing Lakers.

Good night all. I have to go outside and kick a tree...and hopefully not break a toe (or slip on the ice and break a hip).

It's STILL a good time to be a Kings fan.

I changed the channel right before the final buzzer. I could not stand to see any kind of celebration by the effing Lakers, including IT, on OUR home court. I yearn so badly for the day to come when Laker fans are banished from G1C like the vermin they are.

I saw a LOT to be hopeful about. I love our kids, but I will never be happy losing to the effing Lakers.

Good night all. I have to go outside and kick a tree...and hopefully not break a toe (or slip on the ice and break a hip).

It's STILL a good time to be a Kings fan.

If I were a bear, I would start moving deeper into the woods right about now.... :)

The kids played great... the same can not be said for Zach Randolph or Garrett Tenple. In fact without the damage Randolph did in the third I think we win this game.

The Kings did well. I liked Skal's awareness. His defensive rotations were very good tonight. Buddy showed some extra aggression both on offense and defense. He should shoot 3s over people as well. I think Bogdan hates losing to the Lakers. He is probably the only one that was actually a King's fan when he was young (because of Peja/Vlade) and this was during the great battles with the Lakers...
Other than the loss itself, I guess JJ's play was the only disappointing thing tonight.

Not the result I was hoping for at the end of the day, but I can't frown over the effort. Well played contest from start to finish (well, for the most part). Someone, however, forgot to tell the dudes to guard the three-point line. Well, at least when KCP has the ball. But, then, maybe he just had the hot hand, and sticking some hands up in front of his face wouldn't have done much damage after all. Who knows?

The kids were, well, the kids. And the vets were, well, the vets. Kids played well. Vets played not so well. Oh, and has anyone mentioned how special of a kid Bogdan Bogdanovic is, yet? ;)

Oh yeah, Buckets Freaking Buddy. We can't forget about Buckets...Buckets had himself a nice game as well. and so did WCS. Fox was solid (he had that nice bucket late in the game that was, well, crazy ridiculous...).

Temple? Temple? Garrett Temple? Are you in attendance? Please stand up, raise your hand, and make your presence known if you are.

No one likes it when the Fake Show beat us. I wish we can go undefeated against the Fake Show for the duration of the existence of this wonderful planet we all live on called Earth. I really do. However, all things considered, I'll live with this loss. Because we showed effort out there. If this were a blowout, obviously things would be a little different. But, at least we didn't let a team who, at the end of the day, is most likely worse off moving forward than we are, come into our house and lay the smack down on our candy.......(If you smell what the Rock is cookin'....) ;);). The future is looking bright, Kings fans. Hang on, cuz the ride's about to get a little wild(er)...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings did well. I liked Skal's awareness. His defensive rotations were very good tonight. Buddy showed some extra aggression both on offense and defense. He should shoot 3s over people as well. I think Bogdan hates losing to the Lakers. He is probably the only one that was actually a King's fan when he was young (because of Peja/Vlade) and this was during the great battles with the Lakers...
Other than the loss itself, I guess JJ's play was the only disappointing thing tonight.
Kobe's his favorite player

The Kings and Lakers are not known for defense. The Kings came out in the first half and played good defense but caved in the third. Way before a player like Caldwell-Pope is about to set a record for made 3s in a game, you would think we would put someone like Fox on him and stay next to him. The Kings have never really learned to guard the perimeter. Teams like Houston give them fits. Walton figured this out.

Skal and Willie are playing harder, rebounding better and working on the defensive end. Taking charges even. Big progress. They had trouble with Randle, but plenty of people do.

The Kings have this terrible habit as a team of leaving their feet. They do it on defense and give up 3s and layups. They do it on offense and throw up some terrible passes. In the second half it seemed like most of the turnovers were bad passes launched in desperation.

The Kings folded in the final minutes. Experience will allow them to close out games much better.

The Kings and Lakers are not known for defense. The Kings came out in the first half and played good defense but caved in the third. Way before a player like Caldwell-Pope is about to set a record for made 3s in a game, you would think we would put someone like Fox on him and stay next to him. The Kings have never really learned to guard the perimeter. Teams like Houston give them fits. Walton figured this out.

Skal and Willie are playing harder, rebounding better and working on the defensive end. Taking charges even. Big progress. They had trouble with Randle, but plenty of people do.

The Kings have this terrible habit as a team of leaving their feet. They do it on defense and give up 3s and layups. They do it on offense and throw up some terrible passes. In the second half it seemed like most of the turnovers were bad passes launched in desperation.

The Kings folded in the final minutes. Experience will allow them to close out games much better.
Went back and rewatched the game just focusing on defense. It sure seemed a big part of the team defensive issues are due to Zbo’s lack of defensive mobility. And it’s not just lack of help defense. I saw multiple instances where guards were not only fighting through opposing player screens but also trying to get around an immobile ZBo.

In essence ZBo served as a second pick player for our guards to navigate. Add to that a general lack of awareness when to switch and help and defensive breakdowns were common.

Tankathon intact....the Suns are blazing the trail, but the Knicks are joining the crowd. A 8 or 9 team race....with teams a few wins or losses in separations. Every loss helps percentages, so loss to Lakers was good for tankathon; Kings scouts should be exceptionally busy.

I thought JJ’s play was okay. Watched him on defense and he played pretty well. His only getting up 2 shots was more of a reflection of the guard play.

I did not think Fox played well. To me ZBo’s play on defense and Fox not getting the ball to hot shooting open 3 point shooters is what caused us to loose this game. You can’t go 4-9 in the lane because you are repeatedly forcing shots when your teammates are shooting 55% from 3. You need to kick the ball out to the open shooters standing alone on the three point line and not leave them with just 22 attempts.

Last edited:
I thought JJ’s play was okay. Watched him on defense and he played pretty well. His only getting up 2 shots was more of a reflection of the guard play.

I did not think Fox played well. To me ZBo’s play on defense and Fox not getting the ball to hot shooting open 3 point shooters is what caused us to loose this game. You can’t go 4-9 in the lane because you are repeatedly forcing shots when your teammates are shooting 55% from 3. You need to kick the ball out to the open shooters standing alone on the three point line and not leave them with just 22 attempts.
I think Fox is trying to be aggressive, which is a directive from the coaching staff, and sometime it does not work out. He has to balance it better with finding his teammates on the perimeter and he has been working on that. I think he has less tunnel vision than earlier in the season. And speaking of driving and kicking out, Mason seems to have improved greatly in that regard. He was even more tunnel vision at one point before he got hurt.

I think Fox is trying to be aggressive, which is a directive from the coaching staff, and sometime it does not work out. He has to balance it better with finding his teammates on the perimeter and he has been working on that. I think he has less tunnel vision than earlier in the season. And speaking of driving and kicking out, Mason seems to have improved greatly in that regard. He was even more tunnel vision at one point before he got hurt.
I agree Fox needs to be aggressive. He has the athletic ability to break down the defense at will. He needs to penetrate, get past his man and into the lane. When he is aggressive, he creates open shooting opportunities for his teammates if he will find them.

The issue is what he does once he is there. If the opposing defense is collapsing 4-5 guys at him as the Lakers did he has to kick it out to keep teams honest. This fact would be true on an average shooting 3 point team. Given the players the Kings have around him in Bogdan and Buddy it’s a must.

I agree Mason is improving in that regard. If Fox doesn’t get better he may find Frank passes him. Our shooters are too good to be taking only 22 attempts.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I sure like the way Skal played. Give him even more minutes; 25 isn't quite enough. If you compare his defense to what it was against the Lakers at the beginning of the season you wouldn't know it was the same guy. In the first Laker game he let Kuzma run all over him; this game he outplayed him, even blocking his shot at least once. Very nice progress from Skal.

Fox just wasn't seeing the floor very well. And what could you realistically expect with a guy that has "pink eye"?

I sure like the way Skal played. Give him even more minutes; 25 isn't quite enough. If you compare his defense to what it was against the Lakers at the beginning of the season you wouldn't know it was the same guy. In the first Laker game he let Kuzma run all over him; this game he outplayed him, even blocking his shot at least once. Very nice progress from Skal.

Fox just wasn't seeing the floor very well. And what could you realistically expect with a guy that has "pink eye"?
If his pink eye was active he wouldn’t be on the floor. Pink eye is highly contagious.