[Game] Kings v. Grizzlies - Thursday, Feb. 20 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barnes - player of the game
My consistent gripe — why don’t the KINGS ever ride the coattails and design more plays for an obvious hot player?

Barnes should have scored 40 plus in his sleep tonight. But the KINGS prevent offense and unwillingness to force feed a hot player until it’s clear it’s not working prevented it from happening.

Did HB even touch the ball the last few minutes???

Love that Swipa took the matchup with Ja Morant personally (although Brooks mostly guarded him on the other end) and that he took the game over to forge the late lead, but HB needed to get more shots in that game.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My question: Why in heck did it take forever for the refs to review their lousy blocking call on Fox? I think it went something like this:

Ref 1: Did you see that Rachel Nichols was giving some pub to Morant today?
Ref 2: Yeah, looks like he's ROY.
Ref 1: No way could #5 stay in front of him.
Ref 2: Yeah, stupid review call by Luke
Ref 1: Can you see where #5 got him?
Ref 2: I'm still looking. Hold on.
Ref 1: Do you think #5 nicked him a little right there (pointing to #5's pinky).
Ref 2: Maybe. Let's freeze it.
Ref 1: Nope. I see the daylight between the pinky and Morant.
Ref 2: Bummer.
Ref 1: Well, I guess #5 didn't get him.
Ref 2: Yep.
Ref 1: Ok. I'll inform the coaches.

Hit your free throws and you don’t give them a shot at getting back.
Oh well, great game by Barnes and a W.
That, and the officials not gifting 3 free throws the opponent didn’t earn and that replay should have corrected. W/O that BS, the missed FT’s wouldn’t have mattered much.

It‘s easy to blame comebacks on the team not doing things we all expect them to do. In theory, we’d love them to make every shot and every free throw and never make mistakes of any kind. But mistakes are going to happen.

And those mistakes are often compounded and irrecoverable when officials pile on BS calls such as the 3 free throws.

Luckily, this wasn’t one of the irrecoverable games.

The Kings have turned into a good 3 point shooting team. They can out shoot teams. But they almost lost because they can't hit foul shots. What does that tell you about how they practice?
Barnes continues to be a great player.
Fox is not a prospect. He is a legit great NBA player.
Bazemore plays hard at both ends.
Buddy saved the Kings.
Giles does everything but score.
Bjelica does not get enough credit for defense and rebounding.
Bogdan looks lost at times.
Joseph plays hard and is a good defender.
Teach the Kings to rebound and hit foul shots and they can play with anybody.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I never expect to be weak inside and get out rebounded by 15 no matter who is on the floor.
Yeah, it's a legitimate issue even when we aren't playing small lineups featuring Barnes at the center position with four guards around him. One of the things that has been happening though is that we're sacrificing some of those boards to do pace things like have Buddy (who is actually a pretty good rebounder for a two guard) leak out on the break after opposing teams shoot.

The interior defense has been surprisingly solid even as we play small (helps that there aren't many teams that can make us pay in the paint) so it's pretty much just an issue of our guys maintaining their defensive concentration after shot attempts instead of getting ready to streak down the floor before the ball has even left the shooters' hands

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bogi did not have a good game. Okay he had a bad game. But your cynacism is ridiculous.
Ok, Bogs isn't saving himself for the euro league. He just looks like he's saving himself for the euro league. Very poor effort. Lousy defense. Poor rebounding. Poor shooting. This is what you get for six or seven out of the ten games he plays, that is if he isn't injured and not playing altogether. I sure hope Divac trades him for value in a sign and trade. To my mind, he should have been gone at the trade deadline.

Ok, Bogs isn't saving himself for the euro league. He just looks like he's saving himself for the euro league. Very poor effort. Lousy defense. Poor rebounding. Poor shooting. This is what you get for six or seven out of the ten games he plays, that is if he isn't injured and not playing altogether. I sure hope Divac trades him for value in a sign and trade. To my mind, he should have been gone at the trade deadline.
But aren't we 7-4 since he started?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
When Bjelica was on the floor in this game we outscored Memphis by 28. When he was off the floor Memphis outscored the Kings by 24.
The Bjelica/Barnes/2 out of 4 of Buddy, Bogi, Baze, CoJo/Fox small ball lineup has been a revelation where we ow have enough competent defenders to not get utterly smashed without a traditional big on the floor. We still have to be careful about not overplaying this lineup but its definitely been a big reason for our much better play of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.